Pre Paid Gratuities

Kittygal23

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

FACT - link ?

what EXACTLY are you trying to say ?

1) if I prepay thru the cruise website, then change my mind, I can't go back into the website and cancel and get a refund to my form of payment ?

or 

2) if I  prepay , then decide to reduce or cancel, that the amount wouldn't be credited back to my account ?

Once on the ship you cannot.

2 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

I am not going to get into a problem with you. You do what you want and I will do what I want. I am not on here to yell at you (Large print) and get into any argument. You have no right whatsoever to tell me I am punishing anyone. Who are you????? Based on the service. Not experience. A simple question was asked and you are turning it into a major problem.

Very interesting article in USA today why more and more travelers are joining the "no tipping movement."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/advice/2020/02/14/tipping-while-traveling-why-gratuities-may-going-out-style/4748441002/

People are being made to feel like the have to tip not like the want to tip.

I agree with you and it is nobody's business what anyone does with gratuities and what you say makes total sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, springfire said:

Yes if needed, just like anywhere else!

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

I wanted to change the gratuities and was told that at the customer service desk. The gratuities I prepaid that time and never did again. My experience only.

So it sounds as though you change/remove them fairly regularly. 
Since you broadcast that fact in several posts I guess you are making it our business?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

Very interesting article in USA today why more and more travelers are joining the "no tipping movement."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/advice/2020/02/14/tipping-while-traveling-why-gratuities-may-going-out-style/4748441002/

I agree with you and it is nobody's business what anyone does with gratuities and what you say makes total sense.

Other people aren't able to make you feel anything. That might actually be your conscience.

I agree with a bit of what you say. I hate tipping culture. Tipping in the States and Canada is out of hand. The whole idea of tipping was to ensure good service, but I have been to restaurants where the service has been rubbish and still the expected 15 and now 20 percent is an expectation of the server. Away from restaurants, I never know quite what the appropriate tip is and everyone's hand seems to be out.

But I do not consider gratuities for the crew tipping. These gratuities bring the crew's wage up to a level that is still far below what you or I would work for.  I have never had anything but great service on Princess, and those that say they judge at the end whether they should pull their tips are generally looking for reasons to do so.

I actually blame the cruise lines. The gratuities should be changed to a hotel charge, and the cruise lines should be more transparent about how the crew is paid. If there is really a problem with service, it should be brought up immediately and dealt with at that time. 

If you are going to pull your tips, say it up front and loudly. Tell your waiter and your steward on the first day that you will not be paying the gratuities. Tell them your sparkling personality should be more than enough of a tip for them.Tell everyone you meet that tipping is for losers. We met several people on our last cruise who were very forthright that they always pulled their tips. I disagreed with them, but I gained a weird respect for people who were so obviously not following societal norms and were so vocal about their choice.  Don't sneak down in line the last day and pull them. Have the courage of your convictions.

That being said. I think once the gratuities become an appropriate level hotel charge, extra tipping should be discouraged, or we start the entire ridiculous cycle again.

Post on the boards and your comments are open to discussion. I agree with Colo Cruiser: 

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

So it sounds as though you change/remove them fairly regularly. 
Since you broadcast that fact in several posts I guess you are making it our business?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Nice article!

2 hours ago, RMMariner said:

I actually blame the cruise lines. The gratuities should be changed to a hotel charge, and the cruise lines should be more transparent about how the crew is paid. If there is really a problem with service, it should be brought up immediately and dealt with at that time. 

Post on the boards and your comments are open to discussion. I agree with Colo Cruiser: 

We pay gratuities but I do think Princess plays a game with the gratuities and I would prefer that is just be included in the price.  It seems to be no problem for Princess to do that in the New Zealand and Australia markets so just make it system wide.

Maybe the airlines should have pre-paid gratuities too for the pilots, FA's, front line staff and baggage handlers.....why not....if it is good enough for the cruise lines.  

I am sure it must benefit the Princess corporation somehow not to have the tips count as taxable income for the corporation so it is a way for them to lessen their tax burden.  Also, they can get away without paying their valued staff a living wage.

The USA article did point out that people's attitudes are changing because people are not even given a choice anymore whether to tip or not tip.  Not many people like resort fees but more and more hotels are adding them in to charge you for what use to come free when you booked a hotel.

Also, I remember the days when there were not auto-gratuities on Princess and I thought the overall service was a lot better then compared to now....but when in Rome do as the Romans do.....

Edited by PrincessLuver

5 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

We pay gratuities but I do think Princess plays a game with the gratuities and I would prefer that is just be included in the price.  It seems to be no problem for Princess to do that in the New Zealand and Australia markets so just make it system wide.

Maybe the airlines should have pre-paid gratuities too for the pilots, FA's, front line staff and baggage handlers.....why not....if it is good enough for the cruise lines.  

I am sure it must benefit the Princess corporation somehow not to have the tips count as taxable income for the corporation so it is a way for them to lessen their tax burden.  Also, they can get away without paying their valued staff a living wage.

It also wouldn’t be taxable income to them if they charged an extra hundred dollars for the cruise, and paid an extra hundred dollars in wages.

We have always left the auto gratuities in place and have also left other tips when we enjoyed personal service that enhanced our trip. We love it when the gratuities are paid as part of a promotion. We did pre-pay them on two occasions - both times the gratuities were at one rate when we booked but going to a higher rate by the time we sailed. We payed them off at the rate they had been listed when we initially booked. (We usually book pretty far in advance.)  Other than those instances we have always just let the gratuities eat up our OBC.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2020 at 11:23 AM, voljeep said:

FACT - link ?

what EXACTLY are you trying to say ?

1) if I prepay thru the cruise website, then change my mind, I can't go back into the website and cancel and get a refund to my form of payment ?

or 

2) if I  prepay , then decide to reduce or cancel, that the amount wouldn't be credited back to my account ?

When you prepay gratuity it doesnt go on your account like an OBC and you cant remove it if you are the kind of ***** that thinks removing gratuities should be available. Wether you get it back if you cancel depends on how you book it. If the gratuities are included as part of your fare (regardless of who pays them) you will not get a refund if you cancel. If you purchase on your cruise personalizer you will get the money back in some circumstances but not all.

Guess if you did not have what happened to us I can understand you getting upset if a person lowers or removes gratuities. We had a very nasty room steward on one cruise. Very verbal. My wife will usually give extra cash to a room steward that did a really nice job. This time we remove ALL gratuities to the room steward. I could care less who did not get the share with that person. We were verbally abused the entire cruise. I did not go and complain. Did not want it to get any worse. But when we returned home, I did email customer relations and indicate what had happened and who the room steward was. I received a prompt return call with apologies and was told I was not the only person that had complained about that person. So you can think bad about us but what if it was YOU!

On 2/16/2020 at 5:08 PM, bemis12 said:

It also wouldn’t be taxable income to them if they charged an extra hundred dollars for the cruise, and paid an extra hundred dollars in wages.

Actually, it would be much more expensive. Carnival Corp lost a lawsuit and if they are going to dock in the US they have to follow US employment laws. Employer taxes are based on a percentage of salary and if you get paid more than a set amount by any one employer you can no longer be called a contractor. Up the salary, up taxes, up rates to consumer both the higher salary AND the employer tax.  Right now a huge portion of what they "pay" employees is offset by room and board. By paying gratuities direct to the employee it actually keeps prices down. Australia doesnt allow prepaid gratuities and if Carnival Corp wants to use their ports they have to follow their rules. They've done the math. This is their work around.

On 2/16/2020 at 5:59 PM, RMMariner said:

Other people aren't able to make you feel anything. That might actually be your conscience.

I agree with a bit of what you say. I hate tipping culture. Tipping in the States and Canada is out of hand. The whole idea of tipping was to ensure good service, but I have been to restaurants where the service has been rubbish and still the expected 15 and now 20 percent is an expectation of the server. Away from restaurants, I never know quite what the appropriate tip is and everyone's hand seems to be out.

But I do not consider gratuities for the crew tipping. These gratuities bring the crew's wage up to a level that is still far below what you or I would work for.  I have never had anything but great service on Princess, and those that say they judge at the end whether they should pull their tips are generally looking for reasons to do so.

If you are going to pull your tips, say it up front and loudly. Tell your waiter and your steward on the first day that you will not be paying the gratuities. Tell them your sparkling personality should be more than enough of a tip for them.Tell everyone you meet that tipping is for losers. We met several people on our last cruise who were very forthright that they always pulled their tips. I disagreed with them, but I gained a weird respect for people who were so obviously not following societal norms and were so vocal about their choice.  Don't sneak down in line the last day and pull them. Have the courage of your convictions.

That being said. I think once the gratuities become an appropriate level hotel charge, extra tipping should be discouraged, or we start the entire ridiculous cycle again.

We always remove the service charge and tip as we go. if We have mtd we always ask for the same section, and the wait staff knows we will leave a tip the service becomes fantastic, just like the old days.   

As far as the room steward goes the tip is also based on the service received as it should be. 

3 hours ago, Sam Ting said:

We always remove the service charge and tip as we go. if We have mtd we always ask for the same section, and the wait staff knows we will leave a tip the service becomes fantastic, just like the old days.   

As far as the room steward goes the tip is also based on the service received as it should be. 

So you screw over the behind the scenes staff that you don't see that also share in the auto tips.

Way to go.  👎