Emerald Princess returns early to Los Angeles port

flyguyjake

SAN PEDRO (CBSLA) — On Friday night, the Emerald Princess came into port — hours before its scheduled arrival.

The Los Angeles City Fire Department said it received a call for help just before 8 p.m., deploying four ambulances to Berth 93.

When paramedics arrived, two people had suffered unknown injuries on the ship and two others were suffering from unknown illnesses.

Those four patients were taken to nearby hospitals without lights or sirens.

The ship does have doctors and medical staff on board.

According to Princess Cruises’ website, the ship was scheduled to return tomorrow from a 28-day trip to Hawaii and the south Pacific.

The Port of Los Angeles police said all of the remaining passengers were being kept on the ship overnight because they cannot get off without going through customs, which will not be staffed until the morning.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/02/28/cruise-ship-passengers-hospital-injuries/

We were on the Royal about a month ago when the Captain told the passengers that it would be arriving early into Ensenada-We would arrive well over 12 hours early ( late evening instead of the next morning). We were told that it was because of a medical emergency and later found out it was a heart problem.  This sounds like what might have happened in this case as well.

The news seems to be making some sort of big deal about the passengers being kept aboard overnight. Sheesh... They weren't supposed to dock until the next morning. Where would they go? Flights and transportation provisions were made for the next morning. Even if there was immigration staff available - which there won't be until tomorrow - it would be a huge drag to be kicked off a night early when flights and such weren't until the next day.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I came to find more info, only because our local news has this strange no news. There is a helicopter showing people up in the front near what I believe to be a staff pool and spa area. The article only stated 2 injured and 2 illnesses but nothing else. Just hope all is okay. 

I'd be a bit mad to be kicked off a ship before it was due lol I wouldn't have a ride till morning as we don't park there. 

20 minutes ago, Thrak said:

The news seems to be making some sort of big deal about the passengers being kept aboard overnight. Sheesh... They weren't supposed to dock until the next morning. Where would they go? Flights and transportation provisions were made for the next morning. Even if there was immigration staff available - which there won't be until tomorrow - it would be a huge drag to be kicked off a night early when flights and such weren't until the next day.

I'm actually on the Emerald right now. I haven't heard anyone complaining. I also don't see where the article was "making some sort of big deal" over passengers having to spend the night on the ship. It always amazes me how two people can read the same sentence and come away with very different impressions.

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

It's probably because CBP aren't ready to process persons and property. But there are possibly some people who, under the circumstances, might prefer to go out to the parking lot where their car is and drive home. I think people may be on edge because of what has happened with Diamond Princess and Westerdam, and given the choice, some might choose not to spend the night.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mnocket said:

I'm actually on the Emerald right now. I haven't heard anyone complaining. I also don't see where the article was "making some sort of big deal" over passengers having to spend the night on the ship. It always amazes me how two people can read the same sentence and come away with very different impressions.

So the Captain has not said anything?

Now that is strange.

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

So the Captain has not said anything?

Now that is strange.

About a week ago there was a PA announcement at 3am asking anyone with certain blood type and donor card to contact medical.  No further word until Thursday when Captain announce we would arrive early due to medical emergency.  Never any indication that there were multiple people needing transport to hospital.

7 hours ago, mnocket said:

That is so true.  I read disembarkation would start(or was at least planned to start as usual)  once CBP reported for duty today.   No 
announcement yet is strange.  Perhaps soon. No word yet? Are you still on board? 

7 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

But there are possibly some people who, under the circumstances, might prefer to go out to the parking lot where their car is and drive home.

What, you mean so I would have to start cooking my own meals again and having to do my own laundry again? Not on your life.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We are just home from the Emerald Princess.
The Captain made a PA on Thursday around 5pm, advising us we had picked up speed and that we would would now arrive into Los Angeles at approx. 8pm Friday evening as a passenger (just one, as far as we were aware) needed medical attention. He only said that their condition did not make them suitable to be evacuated whilst at sea, but not what was wrong with them. We were also advised in that PA that the port could not handle our disembarkation until the next morning as scheduled. I did not not hear any complaints from other passengers, I think everyone understood the reasons. 
Disembarkation took place Saturday morning as planned, with no issues. 

Edited by debsjc
  • Like 2

We were on the HI cruise in November on the Star.  First we heard an emergency in a stateroom on deck 5 about 12 or so hours after we had left our last HI stop and heading to Ensenada.  Later we were told the ship was increasing  speed to get to Ensenada early.  The ship was running 22 knots and we arrived in Ensenada at 7 PM the next night.  We watched two ambulances load two patients, one very much awake and one that did not appear awake on the gurneys into the ambulances.   We were not allowed to get off the ship until the next day which was no big surprise.  The rest of the cruise went as planned.  We have had pax taken off the ship at unscheduled stops (last one TCI), taken off the ship at ports of call and from the ship via helicopter.  It happens just like on land.  Also the ship has a morgue and has had to use it if you are wondering.

6 hours ago, scottca075 said:

What I find very odd is that the CBS story is the only story. No other LA news sources, not the LA Times, not the OC Register, not KABC, KNBC, KTLA, or KTTV has the story.

I saw the report on the ABC 7 news app. They had a live shot from a helicopter. But really not much was really stated. Just what the fire department told them. 

7 hours ago, scottca075 said:

What I find very odd is that the CBS story is the only story. No other LA news sources, not the LA Times, not the OC Register, not KABC, KNBC, KTLA, or KTTV has the story.

Maybe everyone else is waiting for more information before publicizing it?

On the Royal Princess cruise I was on during the last week of January (reverse of the usual Mexican Riviera itinerary) we were told that we would be speeding up to arrive in Puerto Vallarta a couple of hours early due to a passenger medical emergency.  Don't know a lot of details beyond that.

I was also on the Emerald.  I heard a passenger had a broken hip which was why they couldn’t be airlifted.  I was really surprised Saturday morning when I had messages from friends asking if everything was all right onboard because we were on the news.  It was a nonevent as far as we were concerned.