Odds of corona virus causing my cruise to get cancelled?

harry345

14 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Every ship carries a mortuary and especially on Cunard and likely others, it is used very frequently especially on the world voyages. 

I have noticed that the Australian coronavirus infections are quite a bit lower than that of the US.  Yet Australia is much closer to China.  Do you think that it has something to do with the warmer Australian weather or do you think it may be some other factor?

Just trying to figure out what warmer weather will do to the virus.

Edited by NMTraveller

Just now, NMTraveller said:

I have noticed that the Australian coronavirus infections are quite a bit lower than that of the US.  Yet Australia is much closer to China.  Do you think that it has something to do with the warmer Australian weather or do you think it may be some other factor?

The Government reacted fairly quickly in closing the borders to China. However in the last couple of days we have had multiple people come in from Iran testing positive, including a baby, and now a young girl from Italy. There seems to have been a medical conference where I think 3 Doctors have now tested positive. 

People are tested here, and have been for a while, if they report respiratory symptoms and recent overseas travel. So any one with the virus would likely have been 'outed' so nothing covert happening. It is the last weeks of summer and no current flu season but that will hit in the next few weeks.

But now, just this week, things are shifting a little and we've just seen human to human transmission for the first time. In one state an aged care home has been hit hard where a worker had coronavirus and continued working, has now spread it to the patients and two have died (one 95 and the other I don't know but likely late '80s. ). And the staff today refused to show for work as they don't want exposure to the virus. 

Every day this virus is increasing dramatically and it’s not slowing down.  If you look where we were a week ago the changes are exponential.  The virus and and associated problems increase daily. At this point, My foreign travel can wait.  Things are getting worse, not better so My guess is your travel will be canceled shortly 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

A 2nd Princess ship.  What is Princess doing or not doing?

I can't see any rationale explanation for it. If it was about cleanliness then that would suggest it's somehow 'created' onboard (bacterial) but we know this isn't that kind of infection. . 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

A 2nd Princess ship.  What is Princess doing or not doing?

I've never sailed on Princess, but I'm guessing that it is bad luck.  Keep in mind that Princess has a larger fleet, many with lengthy itineraries, well traveled passengers.  If this same scenario happened on a 4 night NCL Bahamas cruise, several sailings might go by before anyone knew there was a problem.

In hind sight, if Carnival had copied Royal Caribbean's lead, that Diamond Princess sailing would have been cancelled a couple days prior to embarkation.

It will depend on your route. The chances of being denied access to a port is higher if you cruised in Asia or visited regions that previously had been spotted with the virus. I wonder what asians are doing about it. I am sure they also have vacations n stuff and they like to cruise. I have a feeling that only Europeans are brave enough to travel these days lol. I think Scandinavia is having a tourist boom these days

It's not Princess... it's location. Infection rates are growing quickly on the west coast. Wait until FL rates skyrocket and you'll be seeing ships in the Caribbean in the same situation. 

I think the health screening is a "feel good" process. It makes passengers feel better about boarding and it makes the cruise line feel good because they are doing SOMETHING to try to keep sick people off their ships. I just don't believe that the screenings are going to do much to prevent anything. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, MEcruzr said:

I think the health screening is a "feel good" process. It makes passengers feel better about boarding and it makes the cruise line feel good because they are doing SOMETHING to try to keep sick people off their ships. I just don't believe that the screenings are going to do much to prevent anything. 

100% agreed.  I have low confidence in pre-boarding screening, and since you mentioned FL I have zero confidence in port workers at Port Everglades and Port Miami paying attention and administering properly.  They are more concerned with their cell phones and talking to each other. 

• Like 1

Not if they offer future cruise credit instead of straight refund. They still have the $,  just will be able to spread out the losses over a longer time frame as people rebook. (Taking away future new bookings revenue). This is not a great scenario, but may be as good as it gets.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, travel1light said:

Not if they offer future cruise credit instead of straight refund. They still have the $,  just will be able to spread out the losses over a longer time frame as people rebook. (Taking away future new bookings revenue). This is not a great scenario, but may be as good as it gets.  

governments can reduce the losses through tax relief and/or industry subsides/very low cost loans.  Many small businesses (restaurants, hotels, ....) will just run out of money as people travel less, eat out less, .... At some point, sooner rather than later, governments will have to step in to help on the economic side,  not just the medical side. Hopefully, the Pence meeting will result in something more than "we've all agreed to hide our heads in the sand and make believe that we're taking all the necessary precautions".    

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

governments can reduce the losses through tax relief and/or industry subsides/very low cost loans.  Many small businesses (restaurants, hotels, ....) will just run out of money as people travel less, eat out less, .... At some point, sooner rather than later, governments will have to step in to help on the economic side,  not just the medical side. Hopefully, the Pence meeting will result in something more than "we've all agreed to hide our heads in the sand and make believe that we're taking all the necessary precautions".    

My initial thoughts when they said Pence was meeting with the cruise industry was a possible bail out or some govt. assistance to allow the cruise lines to offer flexible cancellation policies.  The other option would be him asking them to halt cruising in certain territories.

These would be the only things I could come up with that would be big enough to require a face to face rather than a teleconference.  All just speculation.  Could be just to have coffee as far as I know.

• Like 1

My expectation is that this meeting will end with a statement that the government agencies and cruise companies are working closely together,  the cruise lines are taking every precaution and that cruising and travelling is safe...just wash your hands, etc.    Translated, of course, that means we had a nice meeting, we enjoyed the coffee, and I guess we have to say something nice to stop/slow the bleeding.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

My expectation is that this meeting will end with a statement that the government agencies and cruise companies are working closely together,  the cruise lines are taking every precaution and that cruising and travelling is safe...just wash your hands, etc.    Translated, of course, that means we had a nice meeting, we enjoyed the coffee, and I guess we have to say something nice to stop/slow the bleeding.

I don’t know. I read a few other boards, news sites about this.  Lots of different view points, but closest thing I see to a consensus opinion is to shut the cruise industry down immediately.  This might just be a low hanging fruit option for the powers that be to look like something proactive is being done. 

I think the writing is on the wall with this second Princess cruise having issues.  Cruises are not a necessary conveyance, and now they're draining resources that will be needed on land soon enough instead.  Think about how much it's costing CA & the federal government to figure out if this cluster of people has just the regular flu or not.  At some point soon, the decision to stop sailing is going to be made for them.  

The DW is getting very concerned about our March 15 Celebrity cruise from Chile to San Diego.  Although not much of Corona Virus activity along this route so far, her concern is healthcare in countries along this route!  We could be like the HAL ship with no port to go and end up quarantined off San Diego...she’s in the medical field so I take her concerns seriously.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, harry345 said:

I know no one can say for sure, but i just wish I had an idea. I am going on the celebrity summit on April 4th, so 30 days from now, leaving from San Juan. I am from philadelphia and will be flying from there to San Juan. So yeah, I just wish I had an idea of whether or not it will be cancelled.... thanks for any responses. I’ve been looking forward to this for awhile and honestly I’m probably gonna go unless the cruise line cancels it for me as it’s too late for a refund if the line does not cancel it. 

If you can’t get your airfare back and the cruise doesn’t happen, I would still go and stay in old San Juan, or rent a car and drive to Rincón and spend the week on the beach watching the surfers and exploring the west coast 

68.9% of statistics are made up. 

If Celebrity cancels our cruise in July and does not return my money, there will be hell to pay.  I don’t want a voucher. These are extraordinary conditions and I expect them to do the right thing. 

• Like 1