Corona Virus and Royal Caribbean

Let me ask this...are the two independent? As in, final payment is not due until 60 days but the cruise is now between 75-90 days, so would warrant losing 25%? Doesn’t really make sense to move the final payment date if the cancellation policy doesn’t change too, though? But the cancellation policy doesn’t mention before or after final payment, just number of days from sail. 

Just now, SarahD112 said:

Let me ask this...are the two independent? As in, final payment is not due until 60 days but the cruise is now between 75-90 days, so would warrant losing 25%? Doesn’t really make sense to move the final payment date if the cancellation policy doesn’t change too, though? But the cancellation policy doesn’t mention before or after final payment, just number of days from sail. 

They both change.  penalties do not start until 60 days.  That is also posted in the thread.

Fox News' anchor Maria Bartiromo on coronavirus: "I don't want to panic anybody, but my sources are telling me that we're going to see tens of thousands, ultimately hundreds of thousands of cases in the United States. This is going to happen."

3 minutes ago, jknc said:

Fox News' anchor Maria Bartiromo on coronavirus: "I don't want to panic anybody, but my sources are telling me that we're going to see tens of thousands, ultimately hundreds of thousands of cases in the United States. This is going to happen."

Lol her sources. Did she say who those sources are? I'm guessing no. 

Edited by time4u2go

4 minutes ago, jknc said:

Where did she says this? possible link?

7 minutes ago, jknc said:

My sources advise that everyone step away from the TV and live life.  There is no reason to freak yourself out about something that you cannot control  

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, KelSny1011 said:

My sources advise that everyone step away from the TV and live life.  There is no reason to freak yourself out about something that you cannot control  

Many would like normalcy but when there’s a horse loose in the hospital, it’s hard to not pay attention. 

Horse credit to John Mulaney.

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Mifster said:

Hey Relaxedfun, what reason did Royal give you for wanting you to chg from the May 7th out of Rome? And what did they suggest? Interested b/c we’re sailing on Mediterranean later in May from Barcelona and my mom wants to cancel, but I’m hoping that Royal might agree to make a chg for a future sailing instead of us losing some $.

We cancelled March 4.  Royal called March 5 to sell me another cruise.  Asking me to spend more of my $$$$$, after getting $3000 from me yesterday for nothing.  

They did not "want me to change".  

• Like 1

My daughter started her first job n NYC on Sept 10. Yes...THAT Sept 10. The next day all hell broke loose.

I wanted her to come home, to our rural area...she would not. I had the TV on constantly...every time the “breaking news” music started, I froze in fear. I heard every media rumor, then the Anthrax attacks began. I was literally sick with fear.

I drove her crazy checking on her. I stopped doing things with friends. My husband called me “the Watchman.” He quoted from our faith “But that the Lord keeps the city, the Watchman waits in vain.”  

I didn’t care.

It was mid-November before a good friend confronted me. She reminded me that she was a divorced Mom with three young boys to raise when she was diagnosed with breast cancer that had spread to her lymph nodes. She said that for two years she lived with THAT all enveloping fear...looking at every bump or spot..till she realized what she was wasting.

You can live with fear or live your life. All of life is uncertain. We have very little control.,. 

(Just chatted with her on the phone, by the way. The most fearless lady I know.) I turned off the TV. What real value did all that information do for me?  

A Cruise is a VACATION. It’s optional. If you are high risk, don’t go, if you will be miserable with fear, don’t  go.

But for me, I will do what I can...but refuse to exist as a Watchman. I won’t try to talk anyone out of justified concerns, but please don’t try to undermine MY peace of mind...or the way I choose to deal with the unknown, the uncertainty.  I’m not giving ONE more of my precious days or hours to that kind of anxiety. 

Been there. Done that.

Edited by hazence
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, travelgirl528 said:

That's a bit harsh.  I bought insurance and the question of "cancel for any reason" was not even broached - TA told me there was a particular 3rd party insurance they recommended and was better than some of the other products.  We bought it.  But as it turns out it does not cover "fear of traveling".  When I booked the cruise the idea of a potential pandemic didn't really cross my mind.  I thought I had done my due diligence purchasing insurance and was not even aware of the different types of insurance.  As luck would have it my son has severe asthma and has breathing issues whenever he contracts a cold so he is in the high risk category.  

How old is your son?  Last I heard and might of changed was that no one under 15 has been diagnosed with the virus.

1 hour ago, jknc said:

OF course we are.  Just like we do with the flu and common cold every year and 98%+ of everyone will do just fine.

My hope is all of the irrational fear causes lots of flights and cruise deals to start showing up.   Going on Allure in December but would like to book in August.  Keeping fingers crossed.

"How old is your son?  Last I heard and might of changed was that no one under 15 has been diagnosed with the virus."

He is 12.  That is definitely weighing in his favor.  Otherwise, there is no questions we would not go.  But I also know that when he had respiratory issues as a toddler he baffled the medical staff at the hospital.  He was an anomaly.  I have collected a small arsenal of drugs in case he catches something (we always travel with steroids).  We have a week to decide what to do.  I am watching what they do with the ship that is curently off the coast of CA.  I hate the idea of being confined on a ship with illness.

Edited by travelgirl528

4 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Some of us are concerned because of pre-existing conditions, some are concerned about being quarantined on a ship for two or more weeks and what effects that has on jobs and children that have been left at home with relatives.  Just saying.

Understand. Me, normally Cruise 21+ nites on B2B min and bring 5 weeks meds and such. Will now bring 2 months incase

15 minutes ago, jacads said:

My hope is all of the irrational fear causes lots of flights and cruise deals to start showing up.   Going on Allure in December but would like to book in August.  Keeping fingers crossed.

Many out there. I've saved over $2500 in price drops last 3 weeks....so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Relaxedfun said:

We cancelled March 4.  Royal called March 5 to sell me another cruise.  Asking me to spend more of my $$$$$, after getting $3000 from me yesterday for nothing.  

Sorry to hear! We’re on the same sailing, and I was hoping RCCL would expand their 60 policy to include our sailing, but was told yesterday no. (I had sent an email asking if we could have the same accommodation as the May 29-June 11 sailings)

Edited by hun

5 hours ago, jknc said:

There haven't even been 100,000 cases yet in the entire world. 

Edited by time4u2go

posted on another thread...!

2 hours ago,  mt99808 said: 

Supposed to sail next week and just got an email from RCI with the following:

And, if for any reason, you happen to have a fever before your cruise, we kindly ask you to not come to the port. Please contact us or your Travel Advisor immediately and we will happily provide you with a credit for future travel.

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Seriously. Social media hype. Not saying that MANY more cases won't show up, since they probably will but....really? 100k?  

Actually, I would be VERY surprised if there are only 100k cases in the US by this summer. It is basic math. For any given area (South Korea, Iran, Italy, Germany, US, etc.), the number of cases doubles at an average of every 4-5 days (easy enough to Google this since lots of website tracking the numbers from WHO and CDC). In the beginning, both China and Singapore also followed this trend but seem to have slowed it down due to draconian measures that likely would not work in the US. While it would be easy to point to China and say "but China only had 80k cases and they completely stopped it", if you read Chinese and are following non-filtered posts from China, it is easy to speculate that China likely under-reported its numbers by up to 10x (and they have absolutely NOT stopped it). Based on a doubling every 5 days (or even 7 days), you easily have 100k+ cases by May here in the US. There are also estimates from many leading "Education Health Experts" (Harvard, Hong Kong University, etc.) that 40%-80% of the world population could contract the virus within the next 18 months. With a population of 330 million in the US, that equates to 132 million cases (just not all at once) even at the lower estimate. R0 (the average number of people each person infects) varies from 2.6 to 6.7 depending on which scientific paper you read (and which outbreak is being examined by that paper). As a comparison, the common flu tends to have an R0 of 1.2 - 1.3 This is not social media hype, just basic math based on the numbers as provided by WHO, CDC, etc.. Of course, the R0 and doubling rates may change based on the actions taken by the government, but given the current statistical trend, things will likely get much worse before they get better. Most people just don't understand the power of compound doubling (goes back to the old question, "Would you rather have $1M now or $.01 that doubles every day for a month?" ). Safe travels.               

8 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That is incorrect.  There are a handful of sailing at the end of may / early June and AN out of Southampton is one of those where the final payment date is reduced to 60 days.

This is SO frustrating. I called Royal again today about my jewel cruise leaving June 7th and was told again that they are not changing PIF for that cruise. I repeated what you shared and the rep and supervisor said it was only applying to Italy sailings. Our PIF is this Monday and I’m just going to take the $400 hit, but so angry we can’t get consistent information. 

7 hours ago, jacads said:

How old is your son?  Last I heard and might of changed was that no one under 15 has been diagnosed with the virus.

That's changed...babies have been diagnosed now...and in the NY cases, it's whole families going down (ages withheld, but dad was only in his 50's...and the neighbor and his family went down, and only so many people of multi-generations are gonna be living at home at aged 18+)...

Also:

5 new cases in Finland: 3 in the Helsinki and Uusimaa hospital district, 1 is in Pirkanmaa and 1 in Kanta-Häme. The case in Kanta-Häme is a child in Hämeenlinna who had returned from northern Italy with their family on Tuesday. [source]

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2761659

Edited by TwoMisfits

6 minutes ago, Gotomu212 said:

This is SO frustrating. I called Royal again today about my jewel cruise leaving June 7th and was told again that they are not changing PIF for that cruise. I repeated what you shared and the rep and supervisor said it was only applying to Italy sailings. Our PIF is this Monday and I’m just going to take the $400 hit, but so angry we can’t get consistent information. 

That’s frustrating as what I have posted is copied directly from the memo that we received from Royal which was reissued again today.