Are current cruises noticeably empty

markf

Just curious if current cruises appear to have less passengers than usual?

suppose one can tell by audiences at shows or difficulties in getting pool chairs or getting seats at buffet.  

Currently wrapping up the Joy 3/1 sailing and the ship was at or near capacity. Wonderful cruise, great crew, spotless vessel. Just hope there is no hiccups tomorrow when we return to LA.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bequia said:

Currently wrapping up the Joy 3/1 sailing and the ship was at or near capacity. Wonderful cruise, great crew, spotless vessel. Just hope there is no hiccups tomorrow when we return to LA.

How was embarkation?  

44 minutes ago, Bequia said:

Painfully slow, long lines, boarding started at noon, people still trying to board at 3pm

Be prepared for chaos leaving the ship like last Sunday. NCL needs to do something about the San Pedro port problem. No signs anywhere. People cutting in line way ahead of others trying to follow some kind of order. I will not got back to that port.

I got off the Escape yesterday.  I think somebody said we were 2/3 full which means I really wouldn't want to see it full as everything got booked up right away so anybody who didn't probably missed out on a bunch of stuff.  You were lucky if you found a pool chair and it was long waits for drinks.

• Like 1

On the Sky now.  It’s a short 3 night weekend cruise out of Miami and the ship is full.  Theater was completely full for comedy show last night, poolside chairs were all taken (with actual people) for sail away and it’s taking about five minutes to get a drink from the bar.  About 2 deep most of the time.

Again its a short weekend cruise at the start of spring break so that may be the reason...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 2+2 said:

Be prepared for chaos leaving the ship like last Sunday. NCL needs to do something about the San Pedro port problem. No signs anywhere. People cutting in line way ahead of others trying to follow some kind of order. I will not got back to that port.

LA is my 'port from hell'. No matter which cruise line we take from there, there is always a glitch.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 2+2 said:

45 minutes to get off the Joy self assist, piece of cake

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Silvercup said:

I got off the Escape yesterday.  I think somebody said we were 2/3 full which means I really wouldn't want to see it full as everything got booked up right away so anybody who didn't probably missed out on a bunch of stuff.  You were lucky if you found a pool chair and it was long waits for drinks.

Edited by Bequia
Wrong poat

It's the cruises leaving after March 12th, after the new cancellation policy goes into affect, that will have the smaller numbers.  We are cancelling Escape leaving on 3/14, but if it were not for the new policy, we may well have gone rather than lose all that money

5 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Self assist is when you carry all your luggage off yourself instead of the staff taking it away and you collect it on shore.

Oh, thanks that would make things faster. Are you usually assigned a time to get off?

The Bliss seems pretty full, but probably because it’s so big, it does not feel too overly crowded (so far). But we are still in New York and were supposed to leave 90 minutes  ago. I’m not sure if this delay is common here or something new. Pool decks busy, as is the Observation Lounge, but the crowd is relatively quiet and very controlled. I do not know if this is typical for NYC embarkations, or something unusual. 

• Like 1

We are on the Gem now  i was Told all cabins are booked.  I  was also on this ship this past July and it looks like a few less people although there are not as many families so i figure that’s why. 

The crew is amazing the seas not so friendly  but still have a great time!

We returned 2 weeks ago. Ship was full. Line was a little slow checking in with the additional questionnaire, but otherwise, things were pretty smooth. Debarkation was painless, and we didn't do self assist. We were off the ship at 9:00am with zero lines.

Number of passengers will most likely dwindle considerably with today's warning  by the Dept of State against all travel by cruise ship. 

3 hours ago, Gracelyn said:

Oh, thanks that would make things faster. Are you usually assigned a time to get off?

Self Assist are the first called to disembark as the others have to wait for their luggage to be ready to pick up.  Works really well if you have an earlier flight.

3 hours ago, Mira28 said:

The Bliss seems pretty full, but probably because it’s so big, it does not feel too overly crowded (so far). But we are still in New York and were supposed to leave 90 minutes  ago. I’m not sure if this delay is common here or something new. Pool decks busy, as is the Observation Lounge, but the crowd is relatively quiet and very controlled. I do not know if this is typical for NYC embarkations, or something unusual. 

Last Sunday we left NY on time on the Bliss. And actually I don’t remember ever leaving late from NY. I know it does sometimes but there is always a reason for it.