Just Released : State Department warns against traveling by cruise ship during coronavirus outbreak

stefmaia

Just goes to show how fluid the situation remains.  Kinda wish the right hand and the left hand would get on the same page.  A press release such as this has the potential to obliterate an already vulnerable industry whose thread grows thinner and thinner.  I'm still not canceling unless forced to do so.  

• Like 10

We canceled last week.  Instant relief.  If you look back to last week the virus has more than doubled and impacted numerous others.  Far from under control so I expect the news to not get better 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mnsweeps said:

Thanks ..I cancelled mine yesterday and very happy..I have no pity for any industry which will rip you off your dollars any chance they get. 

While is respect your view, no matter how jaded it may be, it goes deeper than the industry.  I assume by "industry" you mean the corporate executives.  But the rubber meets the road with the officers and crew on each ship.  Their livelihoods are at stake over this horrible situation and they have absolutely nothing to do with the corporate "industry" you seem to take issue with.

• Like 10

Just now, mjcatlvr said:

UGH! Now what to do? I don't want to fly to Miami this Saturday and not be able to board. Might the CDC close cruising down for a couple of months? I sure as hell hope not!

They might make that suggestion to government officials but I doubt it would come to that...maybe that's just my hope talking.  To do so would mean certain financial and economic ruin for the cruise industry.  It is not a decision to be made lightly.

One of the port employees at Port Everglades has reportedly tested positive yesterday. It's everywhere. Im going to follow the DOS advice and avoid travel. Just have to figure out the most advantageous way to cancel. I'm going to holdout for a while and let this develop. Never been through this before.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article240991126.html

Edited by blcruising

3 minutes ago, Fartlek said:

With this I would think the insurance companies have an out if anyone submitted a claim that didn’t take the advice.  

So if your doctor recommends in writing that you cancel because of an underlying (covered) medical condition, I wonder if the cancellation insurance would kick in?  Although I guess FCC makes it “not a loss”.

47 minutes ago, Fartlek said:

With this I would think the insurance companies have an out if anyone submitted a claim that didn’t take the advice.  

The travel insurance providers were not covering people cancelling voyages for fear of travel of getting the virus. They only kick in once you have it and need medical attention while on the ship or during your travels. However, now with the US State Department issuing this finding... it could give these swindling travel insurance companies more of an "out" to not cover anything that happens while on any cruise vacation now.

You specifically need to purchase cancel for any reason insurance in order to have the trip covered if you don't want to go. Premiums for those plans have been skyrocketing the last two weeks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fstuff1 said:

wow.. did the cruise lines know about this when they met with VP Pence yesterday?

My very experienced and educated guess is no.  My guess is there was discussion about what 'could' happen, and the administration did a lot of listening.  First Cuba and now this, I don't think this administration will be getting any Christmas Cards from Cruise Lines this December.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

wow.. did the cruise lines know about this when they met with VP Pence yesterday?

They had to. All the new cancellation policies on the major cruise lines didn't just magically materialize at the same time . They had an idea of what was coming. Perhaps not all the details, but the general tone. There were reports of something like this happening a few days ago.

Edited by njhorseman