Bronchitis, not the flu or virus

Hi.  I am at the beginning stages of bronchitis, not due to cold or flu.  I suffer once or twice a year from this and most likely caused by allergies.  I don't get a fever or chills, just a really bad barking cough that gets worse before it gets better.  Normally I don't go to the doctors until it hits a certain point and don't want to go due to obvious concerns. 

Now, my question is, what are the chances of not being able board the ship while barking like seal/walrus and no fever.?  And if they deny the boarding would my family and I most likely be refunded our cruise fair instead of FCC?

Thank for all advice and opinions

Maybe people who are closely following refund/FCC policy developments can chime in, but at one point there were posts claiming that only the person who is refused boarding was offered the FCC and not the healthy people traveling with him/her.

I would think that if they hear you barking, they would err on the side of caution and not let you board, regardless of whether you have a fever.  My daughter is recovering from bronchitis due to allergies and every time she coughs, I feel like she has a giant spotlight on her and people scatter.

Bronchitis is a respiratory illness that can be hard to shake (my daughter has been coughing for a month ) since Corona is said to be a respiratory virus, if it were me - I would not want to risk a double hit by being in any environment with a large group of people (land or sea) until I was over the bronchitis - especially given that you're in the beginning stages.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, heziggy said:

Hi.  I am at the beginning stages of bronchitis, not due to cold or flu.  I suffer once or twice a year from this and most likely caused by allergies.  I don't get a fever or chills, just a really bad barking cough that gets worse before it gets better.  Normally I don't go to the doctors until it hits a certain point and don't want to go due to obvious concerns. 

Now, my question is, what are the chances of not being able board the ship while barking like seal/walrus and no fever.?  And if they deny the boarding would my family and I most likely be refunded our cruise fair instead of FCC?

Thank for all advice and opinions

Beside taken the temperature they also check your % oxygen in  the blood , if you have less than some % (I guess less than 95-96) they will deny your boarding . If you want you can buy Oximeter to check it yourself available in pharmacies and Walmart) 

• Like 1

Ok, I decided to make a drs appointment and the earliest I can get in is the 30th, our cruise is April 4..  we do have cruise insurance.  If the Dr says not to go due to medical,  how difficult is using the insurance and what exactly will I need from the drs.

Thank you for the help.  It's our 6tj cruise and never had to use the insurance.

You will need a note from your MD stating the reason for not cruising. Should not be a problem especially with the present situation. You can cancel up to 48 hours and get a 100% future cruise credit.

If you do cruise and are still coughing be prepared for some dirty looks.

24 minutes ago, heziggy said:

Ok, I decided to make a drs appointment and the earliest I can get in is the 30th, our cruise is April 4..  we do have cruise insurance.  If the Dr says not to go due to medical,  how difficult is using the insurance and what exactly will I need from the drs.

Thank you for the help.  It's our 6tj cruise and never had to use the insurance.

The answers to your questions probably depend on which company you bought the insurance from.

Edited by time4u2go

You have an acute problem and you can’t be seen for 3 weeks?  You need a new doctor.

If your insurance covers it I’d visit an urgent care to get treatment and advice now.

My guess is not to go as any travel with active bronchitis puts you at much greater risk to get very sick if you get Covid19.

Edited by cruiselvr04
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Don't wait until the 30th for your doctor appointment.  I'm sorry, but that's just insane.  Go to an urgent care facility where they can check you now and prescribe necessary meds.  By the time your cruise comes around, it should be gone..or just an occasional lingering cough.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

The answers to your questions probably depend on which company you bought the insurance from.

We have the vacation protection plan through the cruise line, don't know if there is more than one.

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

You have an acute problem and you can’t be seen for 3 weeks?  You need a new doctor.

If your insurance covers it I’d visit an urgent care to get treatment and advice now.

My guess is not to go as any travel with active bronchitis puts you at much greater risk to get very sick if you get Covid19.

22 minutes ago, tropiclvrs said:

Don't wait until the 30th for your doctor appointment.  I'm sorry, but that's just insane.  Go to an urgent care facility where they can check you now and prescribe necessary meds.  By the time your cruise comes around, it should be gone..or just an occasional lingering cough.

The type of bronchitis I get can not be cured with meds only the symptoms; high dosage Mucinex, guaieffsen(?) And something to help sleep.  As well as the allergy and mucus drugs.

The three weeks is because of my history with it and usually needs to run its course, 3-5 weeks.  Too many other people who are sick need to take priority, plus why risk getting sick.  I am NOT contagious

• Like 1

I just had to cancel a cruise for medical reasons. I had to have a medical certificate (provided by the insurance company) filled out and signed by the doctor, and then provide documentation of the amount paid for the cruise and what was being refunded. The certificate asked questions about whether my son was fit to travel on the day we purchased the insurance, and when it was decided that we couldn’t travel. 

2 hours ago, heziggy said:

Are you serious???   You cannot get a doctor's appointment for THREE weeks.     That is INSANE, especially if your doctor knows you are prone to bronchitis.   I would find a NEW DOCTOR ASAP...

unless you are making fools of us, because I find the 3 week timeline unbelievable.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Scoobydobe7 said:

Are you serious???   You cannot get a doctor's appointment for THREE weeks.     That is INSANE, especially if your doctor knows you are prone to bronchitis.   I would find a NEW DOCTOR ASAP...

unless you are making fools of us, because I find the 3 week timeline unbelievable.

See post #14

Have you ever heard of cough variant asthma?  My son has this and he used to get  the dry lingering cough every winter.  He sounded awful, but wasn't "sick".  We finally had a doc who prescribed an inhaler.    If he's consistent with his inhaler,  it goes away within a few days now.  I swear the difference has been amazing!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

You will need a note from your MD stating the reason for not cruising. Should not be a problem especially with the present situation. You can cancel up to 48 hours and get a 100% future cruise credit.

If you do cruise and are still coughing be prepared for some dirty looks.

You don't need a note from your Dr.  Anyone regardless of reason can cancel up to 48 hours prior and receive a 100% FCC

11 hours ago, momofmab said:

would think that if they hear you barking, they would err on the side of caution and not let you board, regardless of whether you have a fever.  My daughter is recovering from bronchitis due to allergies and every time she coughs, I feel like she has a giant spotlight on her and people scatter.

11 hours ago, traveler301 said:

Beside taken the temperature they also check your % oxygen in  the blood , if you have less than some % (I guess less than 95-96) they will deny your boarding . If you want you can buy Oximeter to check it yourself available in pharmacies and Walmart) 

Having a high temperature or  cough does not automatically mean you are denied boarding.  it gets you sent to secondary screening

Mandatory, specialized health screenings will be performed on:

a. Any person who reports feeling unwell or demonstrate any flu-like symptoms.

b. Any guest who has travelled from, to, or through Japan or Thailand in the past 15 days.

c. Guests who are uncertain about contact with individuals who have traveled from, to or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, Japan, Thailand, and Italy in the past 15 days.

d. Guests presenting with fever or low blood oximetry in the specialized health screenings will be denied boarding.

e. Additionally, for Caribbean itineraries only: Any person who has – or has been in contact with someone who has – traveled from, to, or through Thailand, France, Germany, and Spain 20 days prior to embarkation.

5 hours ago, time4u2go said:

See post #14

5 hours ago, Scoobydobe7 said:

It is allergy related bronchitis. It is not contagious.  If I absolutely need to see a doctor I could get in earlier  on an emergency basis.  However, why put myself at risk of getting the flu unnecessarily.  Within 3 weeks it could go away or get worse.  The last time I went to urgent Care for it I had to argue that it was not something else and ended up paying for test that I did not need.

I am sorry. I should have stated,we do have travel protection through royal as well as through our credit card.  We also want to go on the cruise.  Just don't want to cancel if it becomes minor and wondered if they would refund us if they refuse us or if it remains FCC since it is after the deadline

6 hours ago, lbjen said:

I just had to cancel a cruise for medical reasons. I had to have a medical certificate (provided by the insurance company) filled out and signed by the doctor, and then provide documentation of the amount paid for the cruise and what was being refunded. The certificate asked questions about whether my son was fit to travel on the day we purchased the insurance, and when it was decided that we couldn’t travel. 

ThAnk you for the info

I would just go to the doctor NOW or ASAp before your cruise - whenever it is you're sailing. I wish the best for you, enjoy your cruise and hope that you recover well and fast. I have to admit, when you said "barking like a seal" I did have a good laugh from that!