All four remaining March/April Tahiti cruises cancelled

Petoonya

Including mine. April 14 Papeete-Hawaii-San Francisco. Brokenhearted.

Tahiti closed to cruise tourism.

125% FCC or refund. Hard choice as we've already booked same for next year.

IMPORTANT ITINERARY UPDATE 
FOR FRENCH POLYNESIA CRUISES

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Advisors,

We would like to provide you with an important update to your scheduled voyage to French Polynesia aboard the Regatta. Earlier this morning, we were notified by the government of French Polynesia that the islands are closed to cruise tourism. Regatta will conclude her current voyage in Papeete tomorrow and all further sailings are cancelled.

The voyages being cancelled are: 
 March 15 roundtrip Papeete
 March 25 roundtrip Papeete
 April 4 roundtrip Papeete
 April 14 Papeete to San Francisco
 All guests booked on the cancelled voyages will receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to 125% of the cruise fare paid. Alternately, if guests prefer a refund, Oceania Cruises will refund 100% of the fare paid.  Guests should notify their travel advisor or Oceania Cruises of their choice no later than by March 20, 2020.
 Guests on the Extended Journey cruise from April 4 through May 2, 2020 will receive the same offer as listed.
 Ancillary items including shore excursions, transfers, air fees, and travel insurance, purchased through Oceania Cruises, will be refunded.  Hotel and land programs, purchased through Oceania Cruises, will be included in the Future Cruise Credit.  
 The Future Cruise Credit will be added to your Oceania Club profile.  It may be applied towards any reservation booked by March 23, 2021 and sailing by March 23, 2022.
 Guests with independent air arrangements will be refunded up to US$300 per guest for airline change fees with proper documentation. Please forward your request to OCIconcierge@oceaniacruises.com.
 We are truly saddened to have to cancel your Oceania Cruises experience in Tahiti and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you aboard one of our ships in the very near future. 
 Warmest regards,
 Carlos Ortega
Vice President, Guest Services
Oceania Cruises

13 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Take the money and run.

I think you're right sadly. They may not be sailing next year 😞 Their terms are very generous with the $300 air cancellation fee credit.

I heard that the current cruise, March 5, had three days remaining and turned around for Papeete. It might feel surreal to be on that ship.

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

Petonnya, I'm so sorry to hear this as I know you were looking forward to your cruise.  It's sad, but probably for the best.  

Thanks BBtondo.

Thanks for you kind words. I'm in the "this is mass hysteria" camp so not sure it's for the best. But it's the way it is so oh well. Hopefully they will be able to continue operations in the future.

Thanks once again for your good thoughts. 🙂

Nancy

PS, My SIL writes for Disney and just told me that Disneyland CA  closes on Saturday indefinitely.

Edited by Petoonya

15 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

Petonnya, I'm so sorry to hear this as I know you were looking forward to your cruise.  It's sad, but probably for the best.  

Same here Petoonya - sorry that the cruise is cancelled.

I too would take the refund over FCC.

• Like 1

Yes, I know you're not in "this mass hysteria".  I think you may be looking at this wrong  Just because people are being cautious and careful in a situation that is difficult to say the least,  doesn't mean they are being hysterical.  You seem like a very nice person and would love to cruise with you someday.  I do understand how the Tahitian Islands may not want to risk having the virus in their beautiful country.

I share your disappointment.  I have been planning my cruise of a lifetime to the Med for over a year.  It stinks that this is happening now.  

Edited by bbtondo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

Yes, I know you're not in "this mass hysteria".  I think you may be looking at this wrong  Just because people are being cautious and careful in a situation that is difficult to say the least,  doesn't mean they are being hysterical. 

I said this wrong and I'm very sorry. The mass hysteria that I'm referring to do with what's happening to the stock market and things like toilet paper runs at Costco etc....the fear that's more contagious than COVID-19.

I have nothing but respect for those who've chosen to cancel their cruises out of caution. And knew all along that the first case of COVID-19 in Tahiti, the cruise would be cancelled, as it has happened. Their medical system being so limited would be overwhelmed and beautiful people devastated.

I'd never think of those cruisers as being hysterics. I'm very sorry I wasn't more explicit.

Thanks again for your thoughtfulness- I'd like to cruise with you someday too 🙂

Edited by Petoonya

Petoonya:  Your posts on your cruise brought back to me my cruise on the Paul Gaughn 15 years ago.  I think Tahiti and her islands are the most beautiful in the world.  DH and I would love to go back someday.  Right now we'd like to travel to places that we've never been to.  But, Tahiti will always be in my heart.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

Petoonya:  Your posts on your cruise brought back to me my cruise on the Paul Gaughn 15 years ago.  I think Tahiti and her islands are the most beautiful in the world.  DH and I would love to go back someday.  Right now we'd like to travel to places that we've never been to.  But, Tahiti will always be in my heart.

Me again, lol!!

We get to go to Tahiti almost every year so don't want anyone to feel too sorry for me! But we are enraptured by it and dwell on being there more than we should. Been everywhere we've wanted to go. Content with a snorkel, warm crystal clear water, swimming with sharks and waiting for my main course in Toscana. Like you Tahiti is always in our hearts 🙂

Edited by Petoonya

My most memorable and first cruise was on the Paul Gauguin around the beautiful Society Islands of French Polynesia! So thankful we had this opportunity to get to know the fantastic people and explore there. We stayed in an over the water bungalow before the cruise, so cool to open the part of the floor to see all the sea life then to jump off the balcony to snorkel! The local banquettes of bread delivered to the locals all so special! Take care Tahiti!

Take the money and run.

That’s what we’re doing. I’ve said all along that’s what I would do if I were in charge of Tahiti. Protect my people. And it takes the decision out of our hands. Don’t get me wrong, we are very disappointed. It was our anniversary trip and our daughter and sil were joining us for the second leg. They live overseas so we don’t see them often.

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm so sorry you're not able to go. We're flying to Hawaii in a few days with kids & grandkids, fingers crossed. I'm already wondering about planned TA April 2021 ending in Rome. Tahiti's on my bucket list & feel your disappointment.

2 hours ago, Vertygo said:

I'm so sorry you're not able to go. We're flying to Hawaii in a few days with kids & grandkids, fingers crossed. I'm already wondering about planned TA April 2021 ending in Rome. Tahiti's on my bucket list & feel your disappointment.

Sounds like a dream trip to be able to go with your kids and grandkids. What a joy. Fingers crossed for you!

Been on he phone all day trying to cancel everything with airlines. We booked Air Tahiti Nui via Qantas and it's non-refundable. But because they cancelled us and we didn't cancel insurance covers us. Alaska was great but long wait too.

Emailing a regular on the Pacific Islands Board "Tahitian Big Kahuna" who was on PG until this morning. They cancelled the cruise 5 days early and went back to Papeete. He suddenly has 6 days on Tahiti with nothing to do as he's stayed on the big island many times. As big as it is there's not much to do after you've done it a few times.

7 hours ago, Petoonya said:

I heard that the current cruise, March 5, had three days remaining and turned around for Papeete. It might feel surreal to be on that ship.

Super sorry to hear how these dramatic changes and how they are affecting you and the others who had these great plans for French Polynesia.  As you know, we got off of the Oceania Regatta on March 5 and made it back home to Central Ohio on Saturday late afternoon.  During our 18-day sailing from Auckland to Papeete, we keep wondering if we would "MAKE IT" all of the way to Tahiti.  Plus, end up safely and timely back home.  We did, but know the feelings, impacts and concerns!!  Not a good situation.   Also, concerned for the staff and how these uncertainties and changes will affect them.  Keep us posted as to how it ALL works our for you, etc.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 229,385 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

9 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Including mine. April 14 Papeete-Hawaii-San Francisco. Brokenhearted.

Tahiti closed to cruise tourism.

125% FCC or refund. Hard choice as we've already booked same for next year.

IMPORTANT ITINERARY UPDATE 
FOR FRENCH POLYNESIA CRUISES

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Advisors,

We would like to provide you with an important update to your scheduled voyage to French Polynesia aboard the Regatta. Earlier this morning, we were notified by the government of French Polynesia that the islands are closed to cruise tourism. Regatta will conclude her current voyage in Papeete tomorrow and all further sailings are cancelled.

Hi Petoonya. I've read many of your posts on different threads about NOT cancelling and hear it is the Islands closed you out.  O had no choice and I think they would have stayed the course as they are not yet cancelling cruises to Europe. A cruise to Rome at the  end of the month will be diverted to Tarragona, an hour or so out of Barcelona - I hear there are problem in the area too so who knows if O will sail ahead into the great unknown or be forced into cancelling.

You've been bucking the trend of many posters hoping O would not cancel but have been positive with helpful posts. Sorry for you as I know how you were much looking forward to this.

Hoping the next time you set out, you will make it. And on calmer seas.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, YoHoHo said:

Hi Petoonya. I've read many of your posts on different threads about NOT cancelling and hear it is the Islands closed you out.  O had no choice and I think they would have stayed the course as they are not yet cancelling cruises to Europe. A cruise to Rome at the  end of the month will be diverted to Tarragona, an hour or so out of Barcelona - I hear there are problem in the area too so who knows if O will sail ahead into the great unknown or be forced into cancelling.

You've been bucking the trend of many posters hoping O would not cancel but have been positive with helpful posts. Sorry for you as I know how you were much looking forward to this.

Hoping the next time you set out, you will make it. And on calmer seas.

Thanks for your support and thoughtfulness Yohoho 🙂

Did you see that Windstar has cancelled all savings until June including Tahiti? I just got the flights home from PPT with UA award miles for a good discount off of what they had been going for, 45K each.

I wonder where Regatta will go now? Surely the ship has to come back to the US at some time. 

2 hours ago, susiesan said:

Did you see that Windstar has cancelled all savings until June including Tahiti? I just got the flights home from PPT with UA award miles for a good discount off of what they had been going for, 45K each.

I wonder where Regatta will go now? Surely the ship has to come back to the US at some time. 

When Regent went belly up  they stored 2 R ships in Tahiti. for  a long time...

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

When Regent went belly up  they stored 2 R ships in Tahiti. for  a long time...

When did Regent go belly up??

Missed that  one

maybe you were thinking Renaissance Cruises

• Like 1

4 hours ago, susiesan said:

If they still plan to do Alaska at some point maybe on way to SF now. Wish I was on it wherever it is.....

3 hours ago, Petoonya said:

If they still plan to do Alaska at some point maybe on way to SF now. Wish I was on it wherever it is.....

Alaska is out now since Canada is banning ships with more than 500 pax from their ports through June. All Alaska cruises either begin and end in Vancouver or stop somewhere in Canada.