Oceania suspends operations

Charles4515

13 hours ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

I wonder what happens to those people half way through their ATW cruise. I assume they are offloaded, returned to their homes then returned to somehow finish their cruise at some later date?

Yup.  What a shame as some of the ATW people having been waiting a year or 2 for this cruise.  At least they got about half way there.  I guess better than nothing. 

3 minutes ago, RJB said:

Yup.  What a shame as some of the ATW people having been waiting a year or 2 for this cruise.  At least they got about half way there.  I guess better than nothing. 

i'm sure they all aren't complaining....I would guess they will be compensated very well and hopefully will be able to do it again.

I have plane tickets for Wed from Miami.  Just go along and disembark as planned.  Happy that I loaded my kindle.  Library book cases are locked.

update: Saturday morning. Antiqua.Sirena is very quiet. People from EU are supposed to disembark. Oceania arranged air for them. However, as of now (10am) we haven’t seen anyone leave the ship. The gangway is out. No people on the dock. We can see town. It is empty. 

10 hours ago, azdrydock said:

Probably not covered under the travel insurance section but likely covered under the general section. Similar to buying an appliance (service) and it is never delivered.

I took a look at the cancellation insurance on my Chase Ink Business CC. Under trip cancellation the coverage is up to $5000 per person. Covered loss would occur from "financial insolvency of the travel agency, tour operator, or travel supplier whose service you booked". So I think I am covered although it would be an epic battle to get paid out as insurance companies try to never pay on claims. 

I will wait and see how this all plays out as my final payment is not due until April 11 towards the end of thew 30 day suspension. We will all have a good idea by then if the suspensions will be extended, the virus is under control, or it is the end of the world😷

14 minutes ago, eldaradoe said:

i'm sure they all aren't complaining....I would guess they will be compensated very well and hopefully will be able to do it again.

True, but this can be a classic case of not counting your chickens before they hatch.

When a much loved regular Poster on this Forum had his World Cruise plans disrupted by a just before the trip fire, he was over the moon about the generous compensation. He and I were hip deep in "the next cruise" preparations when  fate intervened.  He passed away mid voyage-

For people of his, and what is rapidly becoming our ages, Carpe Diem sometimes rules the day.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

True, but this can be a classic case of not counting your chickens before they hatch.

When a much loved regular Poster on this Forum had his World Cruise plans disrupted by a just before the trip fire, he was over the moon about the generous compensation. He and I were hip deep in "the next cruise" preparations when  fate intervened.  He passed away mid voyage-

For people of his, and what is rapidly becoming our ages, Carpe Diem sometimes rules the day.

and so is life.....

Like Redtravel, I too, am on Sirena. Unfortunately this was the cruise my DW and I chose to be our first O cruise.  I feel sorry for our poor EU shipmates that had to pack up last night. Curious ( and doubting) if O will make any sort of compensation for us cruisers that endured this ever-turbulent, ever-changing voyage. 

29 minutes ago, Drawn2TheOcean said:

Curious ( and doubting) if O will make any sort of compensation for us cruisers that endured this ever-turbulent, ever-changing voyage. 

Did you ask  if any compensation will be forthcoming  like on the Riviera  & possibly other  ships  in the fleet that were disrupted??

I am so sorry for everyone that has had disrupted long-awaited plans!!!

We actually have a bucket list cruise booked for months in the future.   I know I would be upset.

Susie, I do believe that the cruise industry will survive!  

But, back to the original topic.   I am not happy to hear that, finally, after everything else imaginable has shut down, Oceania calls off right now.  It is way to little, way too late.  And, I believe they only did it because of the Presidential order of Trump, as he tries to help get a handle on this awful virus.  

Other lines have already voluntarily shut down.  The 'O' ships are sailing with few passengers, and more cancelling every day.  And, yet, they wait until now.

This is following with the parent company NCL.   I have never been a fan of NCL and their practices.  While other lines were planning on suspending operations, there are allegations of those marketing promo tactics.  When I started looking at Oceania, I was concerned when I learned that they have, for some time, been a part of the NCL company.   I had hoped that the leadership within Oceania would be better than some of what we have seen from NCL.   I am concerned that this shows that is simply not the case.  

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 2

PS:  If Oceania has cancelled and ended cruises,  that is on them.   Nobody should be out of any money.  

Of course, there is the possibility of some kind of bankruptcy / reorganization measures.  But I would hope that individual cruisers affected would be the first to be protected and receive refunds.  Shouldn't they come first?

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

On Marina now.  We were suppose to be in Pisco, Peru today (Saturday) and Lima, Peru tomorrow where we were suppose to disembark.  The ship was to then proceed through the Panama Canal with only the crew. This morning (Saturday) we were notified that Peru has closed all ports.  We are turning around and heading back to Santiago, Chile.  That is all we know at this point.  Captain to give us more information later.  

1 hour ago, RetiredLifer said:
On Marina now.  We were suppose to be in Pisco, Peru today (Saturday) and Lima, Peru tomorrow where we were suppose to disembark.  The ship was to then proceed through the Panama Canal with only the crew. This morning (Saturday) we were notified that Peru has closed all ports.  We are turning around and heading back to Santiago, Chile.  That is all we know at this point.  Captain to give us more information later.  

Hope they find  a port that will accept the ship so people can fly home

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Hope they find  a port that will accept the ship so people can fly home

Just had an offer From Oceania with a choice of 35 cruises from July 2020 to Dec 2020 for a 4 cabin upgrade and the ultimate Package , Trying to fill summer cruises  ???

offer.jpg

Edited by roger b
spelling

7 minutes ago, roger b said:

Just had an offer From Oceania with a choice of 35 cruises from July 2020 to Dec 2020 for a 4 cabin upgrade and the ultimate Package , Trying to fill summer cruises  ???

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/special-offers/st-patricks-day-sale/

may just be bad timing with their marketing dept....

3 hours ago, RetiredLifer said:

Our friends are on this cruise. We got the news from them this morning. Are you on your own for air arrangements from Santiago or is O helping? We had a similar situation earlier this month when our Capetown-Singapore cruise skipped 3 Asian ports and terminated in Dubai instead. Mad scramble to get flights home from Dubai.

3 hours ago, RetiredLifer said:

Buenos Aires EZE closed their airport yesterday. By the time you get to Santiago SCL that airport may be closed also. Maybe you all should ask Riviera to head north and try to get back to the US. The captain should ask for special permission from gov't to dock under special circumstances.

1 hour ago, roger b said:

offer.jpg

I got that offer too. I had planned on booking a cruise while I am on Sirena now. Booking bonus is good. However, not sure that I will want to cruise again.  In light of what is happening, I will not book any future cruises.  Waiting for the world to get over the virus. Just interested in surviving.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eldaradoe said:

None of the summer Marina Baltic cruises are o the list even though Marina is fairly empty from cancellations. It would be nice if O added that offer to my sailing, make me more inclined not to cancel.

2 hours ago, eldaradoe said:

Most cruises start in June   not sure  Europe will be virus free by then   but for those that want to take a chance  & be stressed out maybe a good deal

JMO

7 hours ago, eldaradoe said:

In looking at the contract  the company is not liable for acts of God, war or civil strife.  Passengers can be put off It would seem at the will of the captain and without compensation.   This has been done with many past passenger health issues.   Now it could be applied to the entire passenger list.    If the company is bleeding cash  generosity is not in the cards, survival, their survival is.      I saw in Tahiti when Renissance went belly up they threw a big beach party and all passengers were taken there, out of sight of the ship. As soon as the last passenger left the ship sailed off...   We on the Marina had to ferry these hunderds to Tahiti  where one by one they were allowed to go on the ship and get their luggage.    Regent had about 40 empty cabins and offered then at a super discount back to LA.   Hundreds were left to fend for them selves.  It took weeks to get home I was told.............     History can repeat with new players

St. Pats promo same as Presidents day promo. Had my TA check on three cruises, Best upgrade was  B2 to A3 Gty.  on a 7 day cruise, Plenty of Suites, A2's and A1's were available but no upgrade path.

Lots of optimism needed to book at this time. The fact that the US ban may be lifted in 30 days doesn't mean all ports will be open and cruise ships will be welcome. Probably one of the reasons the cruise lines started curtailing operations was they were running out of available ports. 

If the Corona Virus continues to behave like the flu it can be cyclic ie. subside  for a while and a month later start peaking. This means the Fall and Winter cruises are at risk.