Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

5 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Probably the right solution for you. We use the Kuerig because it does tea and coffee. During the week when we get up at 5:00 am and it's an easy insert pod and push the button viola tea, then inserta different pod and coffee for the road for Lynn. Weekends we aren't in a rush but it's convenient, I could choose a chai latte using our Nespresso Aeroccino milk frother and Lynn any number of different coffees also with frothed milk. Kuerig doesn't do "espresso" it's not capable. I think the only pod machine that is close is Nespresso. I know it's not the same as the coffee house down the road with the $3,000.00 espresso machine manned by the expert barista from Melbourne but the coffee doesn't cost $8.00 a cup either.

We have a Nespresso DeLonghi pod machine and a separate milk frother these days, convenient for us. We use mainly St Ali (a Melbourne roaster) pods which I can buy online but have found we can buy them at both Coles and Woolies. A bit more expensive than other pods though. Melbourne baristas are world famous! 😀

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Google and YouTube is your friend in this case😉. First time I had a pod machine in our Sintra apartment I googled the machine brand and found instructions online. I've notice once you know one they all are similar enough to figure out. 

I must be one of the few people in Straya without a coffee machine, for I am a dinosaur, lol.  I too have my faithful plunger in which I put Vittoria ground coffee from a packet. I also don't mind the Nescafe Blend 43 Dark Roast, new on the market, quite tasty. I am no coffee snob.

Edited by NSWP

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I must be one of the few people in Straya without a coffee machine, for I am a dinosaur, lol.  I too have my faithful plunger in which I put Vittoria ground coffee from a packet. I also don't mind the Nescafe Blend 43 Dark Roast, new on the market, quite tasty. I am no coffee snob.

My husband quite often uses a coffee plunger if I don't want coffee. 

Just now, possum52 said:

My husband quite often uses a coffee plunger if I don't want coffee. 

I have a couple of plungers in the back of the cupboard that haven't been used in years. I did hear of someone using a plunger to froth milk. IIRC they heat the milk in the microwave then use the plunger vigorously to make the milk frothy. I may try it one day just for the heck of it, I usually drink black coffee.

I love my coffee plunger, since I learnt how to use it properly I find the coffee delicious. Though I am admittedly a bit of coffee snob😜 so I do buy the speciality, single origin and a house roasted beans. I just find them more aromatic, fruity and flavoursome. 

40 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Probably the right solution for you. We use the Kuerig because it does tea and coffee. During the week when we get up at 5:00 am and it's an easy insert pod and push the button viola tea, then inserta different pod and coffee for the road for Lynn. Weekends we aren't in a rush but it's convenient, I could choose a chai latte using our Nespresso Aeroccino milk frother and Lynn any number of different coffees also with frothed milk. Kuerig doesn't do "espresso" it's not capable. I think the only pod machine that is close is Nespresso. I know it's not the same as the coffee house down the road with the $3,000.00 espresso machine manned by the expert barista from Melbourne but the coffee doesn't cost $8.00 a cup either.

There are quite a few different brands of pod espresso machines on the market in Australia. We take our espresso very seriously here. I don't think you can get the Keurig-type machines here. 

I have no coffee machine and don't wish to add to machines I don't use.  I have some Italian thing my husband doesn't use anymore and one of the drip ones which we don't use.   In our retirement, we like to go out for a coffee experience, to may-be a nice bay view place or Mornington Peninsula.   We like to get out, which we cannot do at the moment.  Had to cancel our Qld getaway so when we are free, we will just book and go soon.  We also like the 7-eleven for $1.

27 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I love my coffee plunger, since I learnt how to use it properly I find the coffee delicious. Though I am admittedly a bit of coffee snob😜 so I do buy the speciality, single origin and a house roasted beans. I just find them more aromatic, fruity and flavoursome. 

The best coffee, tea or wine is the one you like best. It's all down to personal preference. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

There are quite a few different brands of pod espresso machines on the market in Australia. We take our espresso very seriously here. I don't think you can get the Keurig-type machines here. 

I did find this one site:One Pod it is Australian. I think if I ever did get a machine I would definitely buy those reusable pods. So it would not be too dissimilar to the Keurig. 

14 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I did find this one site:One Pod it is Australian. I think if I ever did get a machine I would definitely buy those reusable pods. So it would not be too dissimilar to the Keurig. 

I think the Keurig uses a different process though, it's not an espresso machine, it's a brewed coffee machine from what I can see.

I'd seen those refillable pods mentioned before, they look good.

This is the newer version of Rolf's machine. He has a lot of fun playing barista with it although I have to steam the milk if I want a latte. He claims it's too hard! 🤣 I must admit it did take me a while to get the knack of it.

Screenshot_20210808-144351_Samsung Internet~2.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

I know it's not the same as the coffee house down the road with the $3,000.00 espresso machine manned by the expert barista from Melbourne but the coffee doesn't cost $8.00 a cup either.

Either professional coffee machines are a heck of a lot cheaper in Canada or you missed a zero. Some top of the range home machines cost close to $3,000 here. 

Most local cafes charge under $4 a cup here.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

This is the newer version of Rolf's machine. He has a lot of fun playing barista with it although I have to steam the milk if I want a latte. He claims it's too hard! 🤣 I must admit it did take me a while to get the knack of it.

Is it complicated to clean? I have always looked at those machines thinking it looks like a heck of a job, though I have heard that some are self cleaning whatever that means 🤔

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Either professional coffee machines are a heck of a lot cheaper in Canada or you missed a zero. Some top of the range home machines cost close to $3,000 here. 

Most local cafes charge under $4 a cup here.

Sorry Julie, 30 grand for a coffee machine is beyond my ability to comprehend. I work in a shop with machine ranging in value from 2 thousand to a quarter million dollars, none of them can make coffee but all of them are bigger than a bread box.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Is it complicated to clean? I have always looked at those machines thinking it looks like a heck of a job, though I have heard that some are self cleaning whatever that means 🤔

It's fairly easy to clean, you back flush it with a special powder, but it does need to go into the shop for servicing every few years.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Sorry Julie, 30 grand for a coffee machine is beyond my ability to comprehend. I work in a shop with machine ranging in value from 2 thousand to a quarter million dollars, none of them can make coffee but all of them are bigger than a bread box.

They may not be quite that expensive but the big ones are probably worth over $10,000. A lot of cafes don't buy them, they do deals with the coffee supplier who supplies the machine as long as they buy a certain amount of coffee. And those machines are quite a bit bigger than a breadbox. Some are around a metre long and half a meter or more high.

At one place I worked we had a deal like that with a pod machine supplier, before Nespresso machines became cheap. We just had to buy a certain number of pods each month. We split the cost between us depending on how many coffees a day each person drank. The company was too stingy to provide a machine but they were very expensive back then.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

4 hours ago, possum52 said:

But isn't Caloundra in lockdown like the rest of SE QLD (until 4pm anyway)? So everyone should only be out for the allowed reasons. It doesn't mean only if you have a positive case. My suburb has never had a positive case, but the police can certainly stop us and ask what we are going if we are in lockdown. 

Just saying that’s all, got tired of the coffee pods

Cheers Carole

I agreed with Les   a Coffee Plunger  is all one needs... it is simple... spoon coffee grounds in add boiling water... wait plunge and drink  have been using coffee from Five Senses,, as they are local about 8 km away... rather nice.... well to me it is....

Even though the idea of a Nesspresso sound interesting....

Don

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Just saying that’s all, got tired of the coffee pods

Cheers Carole

Sounds like you need something more exciting in your life but aren't you going on a getaway soon?

1 minute ago, Rassa said:

Sounds like you need something more exciting in your life but aren't you going on a getaway soon?

Lol😂😂😂Rassa,,,Bad timing so far with getaways,,had to cancel Feb to Tassie due to ill health and WA wouldn’t let us go to Perth in July to start our Kimberly to Darwin and haven’t seen my girls in months so might be a bit of a cranky old bird at the moment.

Cheers Carole

16 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Lol😂😂😂Rassa,,,Bad timing so far with getaways,,had to cancel Feb to Tassie due to ill health and WA wouldn’t let us go to Perth in July to start our Kimberly to Darwin and haven’t seen my girls in months so might be a bit of a cranky old bird at the moment.

Cheers Carole

So sorry for you Carole and hope health wise you are better.   Kimberly to Darwin sounds good, hope you can re-schedule and see your girls.  Not much better here, 6th lockdown is not much fun and Queensland won't let us in for our Gold Coast getaway in 10 days.

12 minutes ago, Rassa said:

So sorry for you Carole and hope health wise you are better.   Kimberly to Darwin sounds good, hope you can re-schedule and see your girls.  Not much better here, 6th lockdown is not much fun and Queensland won't let us in for our Gold Coast getaway in 10 days.

Thanks Rassa,really feel for you all in Melbourne, my Grandson moved there for work and found his self in lockdown within a week,

Wish I could say we are all in the same boat/ship.

Cheers Carole

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Bejesus, you need to be an A380 pilot 👨‍✈️ to operate that.

• Haha 2