Song of Norway LIVE (March 19, 2020)

Hopefully this doesn't start any arguments, but could you possibly get answers to some questions about the dress code?

Can I get away without a cummerbund?

Are patent leather shoes required, or will a freshly polished set of oxfords be acceptable?  

We're really trying to fit into 6 suitcases between the two of us, but I don't want to get any stares for being underdressed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

You all seem so good at explaining cruising; perhaps you could reassure me on one other thing.

Our tickets state that our dinner seating is at 5:30.  Breakfast is available 8-9:30am, and lunch noon-1:30.  It seems like a long time between dinner and breakfast, around twelve hours.  Do people take their own peanut butter and crackers onto the ship? If you take a bottle of milk, is there a place to keep it for the week?  I'm really apprehensive about being hungry.

There is a Midnight Buffet every night.

• Like 4

Tim, I can’t even begin to tell you how excited I was to see this review! 🤗 please tell me you are on the 14 night Bahamas sailing? That would be awesome luck for me to see your daily updates throughout my entire quarantine 😷

safe travels to you and Courtney! Keep those pics coming! 😎  

Chris 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mil76 said:

Hopefully this doesn't start any arguments, but could you possibly get answers to some questions about the dress code?

Are patent leather shoes required, or will a freshly polished set of oxfords be acceptable?  

We're really trying to fit into 6 suitcases between the two of us, but I don't want to get any stares for being underdressed.

There will be 2 formal nights but a Jacket and tie is ok.

The last night will be casual.

If the ship is still in port at the start of first seating dinner it is casual.

All other nights are Jacket and Tie. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

On Sea Days they have skeet shooting.  One of the very few things with any additional cost at all! 
skeet shooting cruise ship

I can't imagine a better activity to do on the back of a cruise ship.  Right Andrew?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

There is a Midnight Buffet every night.

Hi,

On one night, there is a special Gala Midnight Buffet with many large ice carvings and fruit/vegetable sculptures. The dining room usually opens early so that people can take photos of the food before anyone is allowed to eat.

One of the ice carvings was created near the pool in the afternoon. Passengers can watch the ice being carved and take many photos. 

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9
  • Like 1

Hi,

On one night, there is a special Gala Midnight Buffet with many large ice carvings and fruit/vegetable sculptures. The dining room usually opens early so that people can take photos of the food before anyone is allowed to eat.

One of the ice carvings was created near the pool in the afternoon. Passengers can watch the ice being carved and take many photos. 

Chuck

Sounds lovely!

I’m taking long gowns for formal nights, and cocktail dresses for the smart casual, but I’m still not sure what I’m going to take for casual night. I’m thinking my husband should wear a tie and jacket. We don’t want to be under-dressed.

Thank goodness we can take 2 suitcases each when we fly transatlantic in economy. My shoes are weighing really heavy....

We just love the midnight buffets each night, especially the gala buffet, although we tend not to eat much, rather prefer to take photos on my new camera. Pity it’s so heavy. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if they made a camera which was lightweight and able to be put in a pocket.... one can dream I suppose.....

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

The dining room will be so crowded, but people will look so good.  Men in their blue tuxes and ladies in their evening gowns with gloves and pearl necklaces.  

The best waiter we have had so far just served us on our Song of Norway cruise Ah Carl. I wonder if he will be on your sailing?

Edited by The sea calls my name
Modify an adverb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Blizzard54 said:

Yes,  I believe the port side is smoking and the starboard side non-smoking.  That includes the dining room and showroom. 

I was being a little flippant when I asked about NON-Smoking as I was thinking that the designated NON-Smoking area would be so small to accommodate the handful of people that did not smoke.  I was a teenager in the 70's and it seemed to me that every adult and 13 year old girl smoked.  To fly to the Port to get on this ship, you would of flown on a plane that had an ugly seat colour/pattern and an ashtray in the armrest.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mil76 said:

I think not.  A cummerbund is de rigour. One would not be dressed properly if one were to leave out such an essential item of formal clothing.

Whatever next?

Men not wearing jackets to dinner? Or god forbid, shirts and t-shirts? I’m swooning at the very thought.

Thank goodness standards are being maintained.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, LeDemonBlond said:

I was being a little flippant when I asked about NON-Smoking as I was thinking that the designated NON-Smoking area would be so small to accommodate the handful of people that did not smoke.  I was a teenager in the 70's and it seemed to me that every adult and 13 year old girl smoked.  To fly to the Port to get on this ship, you would of flown on a plane that had an ugly seat colour/pattern and an ashtray in the armrest.  

Our first cruise was on the original Island Princess in 1978.  They happen to be filming an episode of The Love Boat on that sailing.  On the last sea day everyone was invited to be extras in scenes that were taken in the main showroom.  In one of the scenes I am in the background holding a cigarette. 

• Like 14

1 hour ago, ellie1145 said:

We just love the midnight buffets each night, especially the gala buffet, although we tend not to eat much, rather prefer to take photos on my new camera. Pity it’s so heavy. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if they made a camera which was lightweight and able to be put in a pocket.... one can dream I suppose.....

Can you have your pictures developed on board ?

5 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I read a nasty rumor that they are going to be serving dinner in the BUFFET for the first time ever on a Royal Caribbean ship.  And that there is no table service and no set times! NO SET TIMES TO EAT.  

Disgraceful on a ship from Oslo

But I've been told  they will have tablecloths with candles and it will look more like a dining venue than during the day.