P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

53 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Good news everyone !

Dish washer is up and running again, and only £45  for the call out fee !

Well worth it.  The dishwasher is most important piece of equipment in the kitchen, no-one likes washing up 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Well worth it.  The dishwasher is most important piece of equipment in the kitchen, no-one likes washing up 

Funny how priorities change.Used to be a luxury appliance only fitted if there was space for it maybe.

Morning Everyone.

I've been up since 4am today. I fell asleep with the radio on last night and woke up when the music for the 4am news started so heard about the very sad passing of Paul O Grady. He wasn't everyone's cup of tea but I absolutely loved him. I adored Lily Savage (especially some of her appearances on Parky) and was sorry when he hung up her wig. I didn't know what kind of future he'd have post Lily but he was very successful as himself. I loved him because he loved animals and I loved him because he made me laugh. RIP Paul. Those who loved you will miss you greatly.

There's been some very contentious threads on here the past few days and I've thoroughly enjoyed reading them before they got removed - quite rightly in some cases. I'm always fascinated by people's differing opinions and grateful that we get a chance to express them.

Sandra, I hope things have improved for your dad and that you, as a family, are holding up.

Brian, how's the foot? I hope it's less painful and healing. Will you ever wear those trainers again?

Wishing you all a good day. Best wishes always. Jane xxxx

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Morning Everyone.

I've been up since 4am today. I fell asleep with the radio on last night and woke up when the music for the 4am news started so heard about the very sad passing of Paul O Grady. He wasn't everyone's cup of tea but I absolutely loved him. I adored Lily Savage (especially some of her appearances on Parky) and was sorry when he hung up her wig. I didn't know what kind of future he'd have post Lily but he was very successful as himself. I loved him because he loved animals and I loved him because he made me laugh. RIP Paul. Those who loved you will miss you greatly.

There's been some very contentious threads on here the past few days and I've thoroughly enjoyed reading them before they got removed - quite rightly in some cases. I'm always fascinated by people's differing opinions and grateful that we get a chance to express them.

Sandra, I hope things have improved for your dad and that you, as a family, are holding up.

Brian, how's the foot? I hope it's less painful and healing. Will you ever wear those trainers again?

Wishing you all a good day. Best wishes always. Jane xxxx

Thanks Jane,last day of meds,little bit sore but not really painful.Walking in crocs still.So sad,I loved "for the love of dogs" I was in tears quite often at some of the situations there.Hung over this morning went for dinner with Brit friends over the road when 2 guys who just arrived from Birmingham walked in and we were knocking back wine and limoncello the rest of the night.How's your vaping doing,you wouldn't like it here ciggies only 5 euro a pack,Brian.

• Like 8

Paul O'Grady will be missed, he was a character and loved thise dogs.  I remember reading 2 of his books a few years ago on a cruise and it was so interesting to read of his life growing up and becoming the man that we were all familiar with. RIP Paul.

• Like 10

I’ve also just woken to the sad news of Paul O Grady…… he will be missed on TV for sure and he would always make me laugh and cry in equal measures with his fabulous turn of phrase. Battersea Dogs Home will certainly miss him.

@brian1- very pleased to hear your foot is a bit better. Freddie dog suggests you don’t let on it’s better, else the treats will stop! 🐶

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Jane,  I have only just got up but the sleep was atrocious again, just short of 2 hours.

I actually went to bed at 10pm  but I was still awake at 4am.

Screen shot from my fitbit  Screenshot_20230329-062117.thumb.jpg.e4dbc1109b6d3ea5ba08527dd531bcb6.jpg

Oh that's awful Josy. Six very long hours of wakefulness I would imagine. I can't understand why sleep eludes me so much at the moment. I'm fairly busy, do a good 15,000 steps most days, and I'm not stressed so why? Old age probably. I meant to say good luck with your hospice work Josy. You will find it very rewarding. I did it for a couple of years before I got my dog and I found it to be one of the most enriching times ever.

You're going away soon aren't you? Where to? I hope you're able to concentrate on your packing sans sleep! Best wishes. Jane xxx

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Thanks Jane,last day of meds,little bit sore but not really painful.Walking in crocs still.So sad,I loved "for the love of dogs" I was in tears quite often at some of the situations there.Hung over this morning went for dinner with Brit friends over the road when 2 guys who just arrived from Birmingham walked in and we were knocking back wine and limoncello the rest of the night.How's your vaping doing,you wouldn't like it here ciggies only 5 euro a pack,Brian.

Sounds like a great night Brian. If the hangover supercedes the foot pain you're on the mend!

Re For the Love of Dogs - me too. Tears aplenty. What I loved about Paul  was that he adopted so many of the animals he met. A true animal lover.

€5 euro for a pack of cigs!!!! They just went up here in the last budget and are now about £14 per pack. My son-in-law still smokes and I'm trying to get him onside with vaping too. It's going very well and thanks for asking.

Have a good day Brian. Jane xxx

• Like 7

Good morning all , good news is dad got home late last night it was a struggle to get him on a flight and in and out of taxis then the last 5 steps up to the house he was very exhausted, looking very frail but we’re all very happy he’s back with us and he even watched Scotland beat Spain last night footy , I’m sure now’s he’s home he will get better but it’s a long road he has a doctors appointment on Friday and then we will know a lot more because she speaks good English and explain things better.

We have booked our flights home for Friday and b…… expensive they were but it’s the start of Easter holidays.

Josy I hope you have a lovely holiday when you go soon and plenty of sunshine for you .

Brian I hope you foot is getting a lot better and less painful.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Good morning all , good news is dad got home late last night it was a struggle to get him on a flight and in and out of taxis then the last 5 steps up to the house he was very exhausted, looking very frail but we’re all very happy he’s back with us and he even watched Scotland beat Spain last night footy , I’m sure now’s he’s home he will get better but it’s a long road he has a doctors appointment on Friday and then we will know a lot more because she speaks good English and explain things better.

We have booked our flights home for Friday and b…… expensive they were but it’s the start of Easter holidays.

Josy I hope you have a lovely holiday when you go soon and plenty of sunshine for you .

Glad to know that your Dad is home at last. In our experience, the Spanish primary health system is excellent, but can be a trial for both the patient and the relatives if not fluent Spanish speakers. 

That was one of the reasons that we opted to return to the UK some years ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Morning everyone

Just had a quick catch up on here. Sorry so many of you have had a bad night.

It was sad to read about Paul O Grady's death.

Good to hear that everyone with ailments is on the mend.

I've got a video consultation with my consultant this morning, sjo will find our the results of the MRI I had in February 🤞 and then meeting a friend for coffee.

Take care and enjoy your day.

• Like 13

45 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

That's really good news Sandra. As you say, a long road ahead but being home will surely perk him up and the mind is a wonderful healer of the body. I wish him and you well. Jane xxx

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Morning everyone

Just had a quick catch up on here. Sorry so many of you have had a bad night.

It was sad to read about Paul O Grady's death.

Good to hear that everyone with ailments is on the mend.

I've got a video consultation with my consultant this morning, sjo will find our the results of the MRI I had in February 🤞 and then meeting a friend for coffee.

Take care and enjoy your day.

Good luck for today's results Pam and enjoy your coffee with your friend. Jane xx

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Oh that's awful Josy. Six very long hours of wakefulness I would imagine. I can't understand why sleep eludes me so much at the moment. I'm fairly busy, do a good 15,000 steps most days, and I'm not stressed so why? Old age probably. I meant to say good luck with your hospice work Josy. You will find it very rewarding. I did it for a couple of years before I got my dog and I found it to be one of the most enriching times ever.

You're going away soon aren't you? Where to? I hope you're able to concentrate on your packing sans sleep! Best wishes. Jane xxx

We are going to the Mediterranean.  I  am hoping that DH will get the suitcases out of the loft today so that I can start the packing tomorrow.  Strangely I don't feel very enthusiastic about this cruise and I think that if we would not lose so much money by cancelling I would cancel.  It will just have to get my act together and hopefully enjoy it when we get on board.  We paid for our next cruise a couple of weeks ago and I'm looking forward to that one more, possibly because it is to Scandinavia and I prefer that area to the Med.

Do you have anything planned in the near future.

• Like 6

I am sorry to hear of the poor night's sleep for some of you - I have had two lucky nights with about 6 hours each, but will probably pay for it tonight.  I can't account for how we sleep, except to say that when I was younger I did have a lot of difficulty getting off at all, and now that I am ancient (well, over 80) I can get to sleep easily but wake very early some days, as in 1 or 2, and wide awake from then on.  I do have a glass of wine with my evening meal, and go to bed pretty early.

It is obviously a bit sad being on your own, but does make it easier to read, get up for a while, or whatever than trying not to wake a partner who sleeps well (let's face it, usually the male one!).  The only consolation I can offer is it is maybe the only advantage of old age!  I have just been put on beta blockers, for a somewhat fast heartbeat, and wonder if this may help.  Though not to be recommended unless needed.  There is no doubt you feel more cheerful and up for it next day if you have had a reasonable amount of  sleep.

I hope all with their own or family health problems are being well looked after and improving - it is lovely here at present, mild and sunny (though going to rain later of course).  

Good thoughts to everyone, for a good day and good news if you need some!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Purdey16 said:

It's good that your dad is back with you at last.  I am sure that he will feel a lot better once he is settled back in his own home.  Good luck with the flight back to the UK, I hope that you don't get any delays with the flights.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Off now for the first of  tests.. throwing the book at my mobility then I will know exactly where I stand.

CT this morning, will explain later

Have good day everyone.  I feel bereft with no rings, no necklace, and most of all no dangly earrings, which I wear every day.  No metal in the test!!🤣

Edited by indiana123
  • Like 9

I have just had an appt. for an echocardiogram at my local hospital for 2nd May.  Guess what - that is one of the days away when I am due to meet my great granddaughter (who lives in the USA) for the first time.  Talk about Murphy's law.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Off now ofr the first fo tests.. throwing the book at my mobility then I will know exactly where I stand.

CT this morning, will explain later

Have good day everyone.  I feel bereft with no rings, no necklace, and most of all no dangly earrings, which I wear every day.  No metal in the test!!🤣

Good luck with the tests

• Like 5

Have had a chat with my consultant and it is not all good news. My brian tumour is growing back and have agreed to have radiation treatment before it grows any larger to save going through surgery again. Am now waiting for an oncologist to contact me in a day or two. 

On the brighter side, I am heading out to meet my friend for coffee and among other things talk about the cruise we have coming up, as we have discovered we are on the same one. 

• Like 13

RIP Paul O'Grady, one of the finest entertainers ever, taken too soon.

I think I must be getting everyone else's sleep, went to bed at 22:45 woke up at 07:50. The sun is trying to get out here after a dull start, much warmer too. Have a good day all.

• Like 3