P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

14 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

It's strange isn't it how we all like our different oatcakes.  My grandma had an oatcake shop in Joiners Square and I have never found any as nice hers were.  I don't like Aunty Sarah's Oatcakes we have had them occasionally because they are in Normacot so fairly close to us, we are in Lightwood.  We usually get ours from Oatcuisine in Dresden which are the closest that I have got to my grandma's but today I got them from Foley Oatcakes, they are slightly thicker so not quite as nice but a friend of ours swears that they are the best that he has ever had.

I guess by now, most people are totally confused by this. Never mind. I am quite partial to oatcakes from the oatcake shop in Goldenhill. Like others, they are freshly made in the shop so always fresh. Their pikelets are good too.

More confusion reigns in all parts of the country apart from ours.🥴

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, kalos said:

The snow  is having  a go this morning now dipped to 1.c.

Our  lad is in his artic wagon heading  for Glasgow today and sods law..he's got a puncture 😟

Good  news is the tyre fitters  now fixing it.

Time for  a cuppa me thinks 😊

20240208_113609.thumb.jpg.722e2bf06ade8540dec4b11cb0d12085.jpg

No snow in Glasgow today (yet)!  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

@Adawn47 how is Frank - and you -doing?

We're both fine thank you Sue. Frank had a quick check up on Tuesday and 'everything is  satisfactory' (to use the doctor's words), so we're happy with that👍

Avril

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

It's strange isn't it how we all like our different oatcakes.  My grandma had an oatcake shop in Joiners Square and I have never found any as nice hers were.  I don't like Aunty Sarah's Oatcakes we have had them occasionally because they are in Normacot so fairly close to us, we are in Lightwood.  We usually get ours from Oatcuisine in Dresden which are the closest that I have got to my grandma's but today I got them from Foley Oatcakes, they are slightly thicker so not quite as nice but a friend of ours swears that they are the best that he has ever had.

What a small world it is. Oatcakes seem to run in families dont they. Our local one was The Hole in the Wall on Waterloo Street when I was a kid, nobody to beat them including my uncle who was just up the road. We have also tried Poveys which you can get from Bridgemere and Trentham.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

What a small world it is. Oatcakes seem to run in families dont they. Our local one was The Hole in the Wall on Waterloo Street when I was a kid, nobody to beat them including my uncle who was just up the road. We have also tried Poveys which you can get from Bridgemere and Trentham.

Anything like Welshcakes?When we went to Cardiff last year there was a queue for them stretching outside.Bought a few but found them a bit soft, and sweet.Now,my OHs bread pud is another story,lovely jubbly.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Anything like Welshcakes?When we went to Cardiff last year there was a queue for them stretching outside.Bought a few but found them a bit soft, and sweet.Now,my OHs bread pud is another story,lovely jubbly.

No nothing like. Oatcakes you can fill like a wrap with anything you want really, my favourite is bacon, cheese and mushroom. Yum!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pete14 said:

I guess by now, most people are totally confused by this. Never mind. I am quite partial to oatcakes from the oatcake shop in Goldenhill. Like others, they are freshly made in the shop so always fresh. Their pikelets are good too.

More confusion reigns in all parts of the country apart from ours.🥴

Highland Oatcakes are the best we think though the ones opposite Central Forest Park from 'Six Towns' are good too - though rather on the large side. (ie not thick but large!) 

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Nothing like Welshcakes - though we like welshcakes too 🙂

43 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

No nothing like. Oatcakes you can fill like a wrap with anything you want really, my favourite is bacon, cheese and mushroom. Yum!

Nothing like using your oatcake to soak up the 'dip' when you had bacon and egg ........  to think we had the fat poured over our food and soaked it up with bread or an oatcake. And we are here to tell the tale 😉

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Nothing like using your oatcake to soak up the 'dip' when you had bacon and egg ........  to think we had the fat poured over our food and soaked it up with bread or an oatcake. And we are here to tell the tale 😉

As my Mum always said, there's nothing wrong with the food, it's the rubbish they put into it nowadays😏

By the way, I've never even tried an oatcake.😲 

I know, I know. I've just been barred from this thread😁😁😉

Avril

• Haha 7

13 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

As my Mum always said, there's nothing wrong with the food, it's the rubbish they put into it nowadays😏

Avril

We'll forgive you and make your an honorary Potter Avril -- and don't worry, that doesn't mean you have to support Stoke City (heaven forbid!) (Duck for incoming .........................) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have never tried an oatcake, but willing to give it a go.  I do love Welshcakes (have to admit having a bit of Welsh blood) and occasionally have some for breakfast, warmed in the oven and a bit of butter on.  Not very healthy - especially as my Dr., now wonders if I have heart failure and is suggesting an echocardiogram, when he rang earlier.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

Bacon, cheese and tomatoes for me.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We'll forgive you and make your an honorary Potter Avril -- and don't worry, that doesn't mean you have to support Stoke City (heaven forbid!) (Duck for incoming .........................) 

As things stand at the moment, owning up to supporting Stoke City is almost as bad as supporting the Vale. Staffordshire football isn’t great at the moment. Must be all the oatcakes slowing the players down. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, pete14 said:

As things stand at the moment, owning up to supporting Stoke City is almost as bad as supporting the Vale. Staffordshire football isn’t great at the moment. Must be all the oatcakes slowing the players 

Have to agree ....... not sure about the almost comment though

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pete14 said:

As things stand at the moment, owning up to supporting Stoke City is almost as bad as supporting the Vale. Staffordshire football isn’t great at the moment. Must be all the oatcakes slowing the players down. 

Unfortunately I have a few Stoke fans in my family and one of my cousins was a Vale player in his younger days so you can imagine our family get together.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Oatcakes are made from water, wheat flour, oats and a pinch of salt, mixed together and cooked on a griddle like a pancake. More healthy than bread and no need for butter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pete14 said:

Oatcakes are made from water, wheat flour, oats and a pinch of salt, mixed together and cooked on a griddle like a pancake. More healthy than bread and no need for butter.

Its the other stuff that comes with them that causes the cholesterol but hey ho.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I have never tried an oatcake, but willing to give it a go.  I do love Welshcakes (have to admit having a bit of Welsh blood) and occasionally have some for breakfast, warmed in the oven and a bit of butter on.  Not very healthy - especially as my Dr., now wonders if I have heart failure and is suggesting an echocardiogram, when he rang earlier.

I'm sorrry to hear that lincslady, but it seems to me as though your doctor is covering everything that could be the cause of your symptoms and gradually eliminating them one by one. At least he's on top of it and you'll soon find out what the problem is and on the correct meds. 

Take care and try not to worry too much. x

Avril

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Nothing like Welshcakes - though we like welshcakes too 🙂

Obviously you've got duel nationality now.Got to give your area a try🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

I'm sorry to hear your doctor thinks you might have heart failure.

Prayers 🙏 he is wrong.

My late mam's mam's family were Welsh.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Obviously you've got duel nationality now.Got to give your area a try🙂

Spent 3 yrs at Uni in Wales and parents loved there for 22 yrs so almost feel Welsh. I'd love to be Welsh ... love Wales. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Unfortunately I have a few Stoke fans in my family and one of my cousins was a Vale player in his younger days so you can imagine our family get together.

I hope you all had a super family get together.

Edited by grapau27

First day back home the side effects of ABs kicking in, not pleasant and won’t go into details. Phone call at 10 this morning from GP Practice Pharmacist to arrange the requested blood tests and expect a call in the next few days to review how wound in gum is healing. practice on the ball.with follow ups. 

I slept for 6 hours during day, something I very rarely, but fell better for it given  the lack of decent sleep in ward mainly due to uncomfortable bed, being in a drip and “shouty man” in bed in the corner.

• Like 11

Get some decent probiotics, from the pharmacy, and take one about 2 hours after each a/b dose.  Helps restock your gut with *friendly bugs*

Fermented food is good too - kefir, kimchi, unpasteurised sauerkraut 

Hope your good sleep will really do you good

Teeth eh?  We’d be better off with a nice sturdy beak! 🙄

• Like 8