P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Morning all.

I haven't been on here much lately other than reading the occasional 'live from' post. I hope everyone is well.

We feel very ready for a holiday, with various health issues in the wider family, brother has just got out of hospital after an operation, mum is waiting for an operation date for her back but in the meantime is still not very mobile. Our daughter is heavily pregnant, 9 days overdue at the moment so we're at a constant state of readiness to drive her to the hospital and look after the almost 4 year old. We're hoping baby doesn't make an appearance on 29th Feb 😏

It's balance due time for our Britannia cruise at the end of May so I can start getting excited about it now ☺️ Mum and dad have had to cancel due to mum's current mobility issues and pending operation so although it's a shame, it will be nice just being me and hubby. It does mean I'll be doing the Flam railway trip on my own as Mr B is cycling down, I hope it's impossible to get lost and board the wrong train coming back down again 😂

• Like 15

6 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Morning all.

I haven't been on here much lately other than reading the occasional 'live from' post. I hope everyone is well.

We feel very ready for a holiday, with various health issues in the wider family, brother has just got out of hospital after an operation, mum is waiting for an operation date for her back but in the meantime is still not very mobile. Our daughter is heavily pregnant, 9 days overdue at the moment so we're at a constant state of readiness to drive her to the hospital and look after the almost 4 year old. We're hoping baby doesn't make an appearance on 29th Feb 😏

It's balance due time for our Britannia cruise at the end of May so I can start getting excited about it now ☺️ Mum and dad have had to cancel due to mum's current mobility issues and pending operation so although it's a shame, it will be nice just being me and hubby. It does mean I'll be doing the Flam railway trip on my own as Mr B is cycling down, I hope it's impossible to get lost and board the wrong train coming back down again 😂

Lovely to hear from you Sarah.

Sorry to hear about your family health issues and your mam and dad having to cancel their cruise.

Best wishes to your daughter that she gives birth soon.

I was 14 days late and weighed 10lb.

Pauline was 2 weeks early.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Nice to hear from you Sarah and that you’ll be grandparents again very soon and fingers crossed it’s not 29th , hope your mum’s operation comes soon for her and you so she can be fit and well when you go on your cruise end of may . Don’t worry about the railway in flam there’s no way you can get lost , sometimes you stay on and it returns straight back down after a couple of minutes stop , hope your husband enjoys his cycling down it’s a lovely thing to do and so much scenery you don’t get to see on the train, just remember the first bit is stony and steep and not to repeat what I done 🥴 we are not cyclists at all .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

3°C and raining here.

Pauline and I were saying there are lots of TV adverts on mainly Electric cars.

The theory is good but in practice the full charge just doesn't allow you drive sufficient miles.

Our 325 mile drive to and From Southampton would concern me especially if it was raining and we had lights and windscreen wipers on.

Hybrid is one issue but I am not convinced.

I hope everyone is well and we all have a good day.

That is the reason why i didn’t get a full electric Graham, I have a self charging hybrid and my hubby has a hybrid that has to be charged. I think I must be “old school” in my thinking. My new car feels like I am in a space station with all the lights and gadgets. I will get used to it though I expect 

Michelle

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Morning all.

Lovely to see you posting Sarah.

Sorry to hear about the health issues in your family, hope your mum gets her operation soon. 

I hear lots of good things about Flam, it is on my list of places to go

Michelle

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

I've heard stories of "charger rage" at motorway services.Too much,too soon to appease the greens.

Think I read about that  ? 😉..

Two electric car owners were seen today fighting over a charging port.

The police have said it was a charged environment and they will amp up patrols around area.

A lot of witnesses were shocked and some saw someone socket to the other.🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 15

30 minutes ago, kalos said:

The police have said it was a charged environment and they will amp up patrols around area.

Your stories are the best @kalos

Always guaranteed to make me laugh.

Thank you so much.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

As I have already said we were foolish enough to buy a Hybrid and after 6 months we have already started to think about which new petrol car we will buy in September and will be taking a closer look at Mazda and VW.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

Morning all.

Welcome back Sorry to hear about you mum's health issues.

It sounds like you are in need of a nice cruise.   The Flam railway trip is lovely but I'm not sure about the cycling down :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

As I have already said we were foolish enough to buy a Hybrid and after 6 months we have already started to think about which new petrol car we will buy in September and will be taking a closer look at Mazda and VW.

Thank you.

I prefer petrol and cannot understand why instead of Electric cars where electric has to be produced to power them why not just produce an even cleaner petrol.

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you.

I prefer petrol and cannot understand why instead of Electric cars where electric has to be produced to power them why not just produce an even cleaner petrol.

Thinking back to when I was a nipper ,we had trackless trolley buses with overhead wires.

We had battery operated milk floats that delivered milk in glass returnable bottles.

This was in the days before our green and pleasant land decided to get rid for a few decades.

As for us we like our little old Suzie ,she maybe coming up 9 year old but ..

She's ULEZ compliant, can run us from home to Southampton and back on one tank

of petrol. Sails through Mot's , needs new tyres now and again wipers etc like all other cars do. We are happy with her and see no reason to part company and if we did, doubt it would be for an electric car at the moment . Our personal choice .

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

What is it about the hybrid that is causing concern?

I think you mentioned that you did not like the automatic drive, is this different to the standard automatic of petrol and diesel engines?

I know that fully EV automatic is generally in wheel single speed transmission, which of course is much smoother.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kalos said:

The police were going to charge them with battery but had no leads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

56 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

What is it about the hybrid that is causing concern?

I think you mentioned that you did not like the automatic drive, is this different to the standard automatic of petrol and diesel engines?

I know that fully EV automatic is generally in wheel single speed transmission, which of course is much smoother.

I have only driven automatics when I worked in France and USA before this car and I never had an issue with them.  This car is smooth enough but I really hate the way that it brakes if it recognises a car braking about 3 or 4 metres ahead even when I am only travelling at 5 miles per hour because of traffic conditions.  

Every time that I have my 13 year old know it all niece with me and I say "stupid car" because it brakes unnecessarily she tells me that it is safety feature :classic_smile:

8 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

3°C and raining here.

Pauline and I were saying there are lots of TV adverts on mainly Electric cars.

The theory is good but in practice the full charge just doesn't allow you drive sufficient miles.

Our 325 mile drive to and From Southampton would concern me especially if it was raining and we had lights and windscreen wipers on.

My son drives a Polestar 2, gets around 350miles on a charge, there is an increasing number of charge points across the country, he should know he manages the installation of many of them. He uses the Zap App to plan his journey, in his three years of driving electric cars he has never run out of power. Most of the time his car is charged at home, much cheaper than on the road and much cheaper than filling a car with a tank of fuel.

I would have probably gone electric when I changed my car in 2023, except the cost to install a connect to my garage which is remote from the house was extortionate, so went hybrid instead and I am extremely happy that I did. I purchased less fuel than I did in 2033 and drove more miles. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

My son drives a Polestar 2, gets around 350miles on a charge, there is an increasing number of charge points across the country, he should know he manages the installation of many of them. He uses the Zap App to plan his journey, in his three years of driving electric cars he has never run out of power. Most of the time his car is charged at home, much cheaper than on the road and much cheaper than filling a car with a tank of fuel.

I would have probably gone electric when I changed my car in 2023, except the cost to install a connect to my garage which is remote from the house was extortionate, so went hybrid instead and I am extremely happy that I did. I purchased less fuel than I did in 2033 and drove more miles. 

is your car a De lorion.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Haha 8

8 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

so went hybrid instead and I am extremely happy that I did. I purchased less fuel than I did in 2033 and drove more miles. 

Next time you take your car out ,can you get me next weeks lottery numbers 🙃

• Haha 9

13 minutes ago, kalos said:

Next time you take your car out ,can you get me next weeks lottery numbers 🙃

I tried to correct but system kept telling I couldn’t repost for some reason. 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, kalos said:

Thinking back to when I was a nipper ,we had trackless trolley buses with overhead wires.

We had battery operated milk floats that delivered milk in glass returnable bottles.

This was in the days before our green and pleasant land decided to get rid for a few decades.

As for us we like our little old Suzie ,she maybe coming up 9 year old but ..

She's ULEZ compliant, can run us from home to Southampton and back on one tank

of petrol. Sails through Mot's , needs new tyres now and again wipers etc like all other cars do. We are happy with her and see no reason to part company and if we did, doubt it would be for an electric car at the moment . Our personal choice .

Many years since I’ve  heard “trackless” when I was young I thought that it was just a bus only many years later did I realise why they had that name! Brought back a lot of memories.

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I have only driven automatics when I worked in France and USA before this car and I never had an issue with them.  This car is smooth enough but I really hate the way that it brakes if it recognises a car braking about 3 or 4 metres ahead even when I am only travelling at 5 miles per hour because of traffic conditions.  

Every time that I have my 13 year old know it all niece with me and I say "stupid car" because it brakes unnecessarily she tells me that it is safety feature :classic_smile:

Can it not be adjusted to only brake at higher speeds?

49 minutes ago, Lizzyanne said:

Many years since I’ve  heard “trackless” when I was young I thought that it was just a bus only many years later did I realise why they had that name! Brought back a lot of memories.

It was great fun watching them when the poles came off the wires and the conductress  

would leap outside grabbing a big pole to reconnect to the power lines so we could be on our merry way again . One of ours ended up in a museum the other side of Doncaster .

photo1jpg.jpg.edf56d8858ceee34db90f3a42dffb1f9.jpg

• Like 7

My niece's husband has been round spent approximately 2 minutes solving the leak in the bathroom and then an hour chatting to us.  His son, who I see every day, hadn't mentioned to me that he has been predicted to get 9 Grade 9s in his GCSEs and has had interviews at both local colleges and been offered places at both.  Dad is so proud and we know that his mum would have been proud of him too.

• Like 13

40 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Can it not be adjusted to only brake at higher speeds?

Not that we can see in the instruction book, I have started to put my foot on the accelerator when it slows down too early to force it to keep going.

11 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Nice to hear from you Sarah and that you’ll be grandparents again very soon and fingers crossed it’s not 29th , hope your mum’s operation comes soon for her and you so she can be fit and well when you go on your cruise end of may . Don’t worry about the railway in flam there’s no way you can get lost , sometimes you stay on and it returns straight back down after a couple of minutes stop , hope your husband enjoys his cycling down it’s a lovely thing to do and so much scenery you don’t get to see on the train, just remember the first bit is stony and steep and not to repeat what I done 🥴 we are not cyclists at all .

Thanks, I'll tell Mr B to cycle carefully, too energetic for me, I'll just enjoy taking photos from the train ☺️

• Like 4