P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

35 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I have a retail showroom and have been sent guidelines and taken advice. I can and will refuse entry and I can ask for medical proof, but am hoping to not have to. 

We are trying to offer a safe place to shop, if someone has asthma it doesn't mean they don't have covid. 

Why should I risk my customers and staff who do abide. If you cannot breathe for the short period you are in a store because a mask is required, don't go in a store... 

All my staff wear shields or masks, there is no breathing restriction behind them, so if you can't wear a mask in store, wear a shield. 

Michelle has lung cancer, she won't go in a shop and put herself at risk, or others if she cannot wear a mask... Why would a cancer/asthma/copd sufferer want to? 

Andy 

After my mild Heart Attack in December I have worked from home since lockdown and wore a face shield if I went into a shop.

Selfish attitudes of some people put us all at risk.

Sending our best wishes for Michelle and you need to protect her as best you can.

Graham

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

The numbers in the US yesterday were the highest they have ever been.  They just don't seem to have got it under control at all.

The presidential election is front and centre at the moment. Covid is an afterthought. Unless it helps the polls that is 😊

Avril 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

The numbers in the US yesterday were the highest they have ever been.  They just don't seem to have got it under control at all.

A couple of my medical buddies on RCL forums report that most Americans haven't got a clue about their health or any treatment they get and how they can look after themselves.

They were amazed when I explained about my mild HA and what I did and had done etc.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Why would they go to shops, perhaps because they have no other option and no one to do it for them.

They managed it for 3 months when they would/should have been shielding. 

I am not unsympathetic and am only referring to my business where we have a safe shop at home service to save these people putting themselves and others at risk, but I do feel that if you give people an inch, others will exploit it, putting us all at risk. 

One person brings it to my showroom, 40 staff and other customers could potentially have to isolate again = 40 redundancies. 

If 1 person catches it and I could possibly have helped prevent it, it would be unacceptable to me. 

If it wasn't thought necessary, it would not have been introduced. 

No mask or shield, no entry... See you in court.. 

Andy 

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

After my mild Heart Attack in December I have worked from home since lockdown and wore a face shield if I went into a shop.

Selfish attitudes of some people put us all at risk.

Sending our best wishes for Michelle and you need to protect her as best you can.

Graham

Thank you Graham, that's all I am trying to do. 

Andy 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

A couple of my medical buddies on RCL forums report that most Americans haven't got a clue about their health or any treatment they get and how they can look after themselves.

They were amazed when I explained about my mild HA and what I did and had done etc.

Graham, yes agree.  A friend lives in Florida.  He will be 90 this year and none of his friends can believe he is on no medication because almost everybody over there is on something or other.  He swims 3 times a week and is a normal size.  They really have no clue about anything.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

And when you read of the eye-watering costs of health care in the States.....................................  no wonder they aren't too well informed sometimes as they can't afford to seek treatment or follow up.   Just thank goodness for our Health Service! 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

Graham, yes agree.  A friend lives in Florida.  He will be 90 this year and none of his friends can believe he is on no medication because almost everybody over there is on something or other.  He swims 3 times a week and is a normal size.  They really have no clue about anything.

I think your comment about his size and that he exercises regularly is telling.  The obesity issue in the US is even worse than here I think.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

And when you read of the eye-watering costs of health care in the States.....................................  no wonder they aren't too well informed sometimes as they can't afford to seek treatment or follow up.   Just thank goodness for our Health Service! 

I agree.

There is a lot of things they could do to protect themselves but a lot of them don't take precautions or are interested in their health.

Covid19 is a current example.

16 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I am not unsympathetic and am only referring to my business where we have a safe shop at home service to save these people putting themselves and others at risk, but I do feel that if you give people an inch, others will exploit it, putting us all at risk. 

One person brings it to my showroom, 40 staff and other customers could potentially have to isolate again = 40 redundancies. 

If 1 person catches it and I could possibly have helped prevent it, it would be unacceptable to me. 

Andy 

They managed for 3 months when the government provided shopping and services for those shielding.  These services have now ceased (perhaps they are still available in England?)

Some of those now exempt from wearing masks were not covered by shielding so had to fend for themselves throughout. 

A safe shop at home service is great and probably much appreciated. It could be your “reasonable adjustment” but not if someone really wants to push the point and visit in person.

It was thought necessary and it was introduced but with very specific and clear exemptions. As I said I wear a shield and personally think that most people could. The government did not choose to make this mandatory.

While I admire your stance to protect your staff you are leaving your self wide open to action and the disability lobby is a strong one. You joke about someone seeing you in court, for your own sake please just be careful.

Edited by Eglesbrech
Change and to a

14 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

I agree, Andy, particularly having seen Graham's recent posts; he's presumably in the exempt group, but has the wit to use a shield instead. Is there any medical condition (apart from having no head, I suppose) that precludes wearing a shield if you cannot wear a mask?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

I have a retail showroom and have been sent guidelines and taken advice. I can and will refuse entry and I can ask for medical proof, but am hoping to not have to. 

We are trying to offer a safe place to shop, if someone has asthma it doesn't mean they don't have covid. 

Why should I risk my customers and staff who do abide. If you cannot breathe for the short period you are in a store because a mask is required, don't go in a store... 

All my staff wear shields or masks, there is no breathing restriction behind them, so if you can't wear a mask in store, wear a shield. 

Michelle has lung cancer, she won't go in a shop and put herself at risk, or others if she cannot wear a mask... Why would a cancer/asthma/copd sufferer want to? 

Andy 

Here's the part I don't understand - good for you for making your staff wear masks or shields, but why are shop staff not actually obliged to wear face coverings?

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Here's the part I don't understand - good for you for making your staff wear masks or shields, but why are shop staff not actually obliged to wear face coverings?

I applaud Andy and his staff for wearing face Shields or masks.

In most shops/restaurants yesterday in Keswick and Windermere the staff wore masks but several staff didn't which seems wrong to me and could encourage customers to stop using their face Shields and masks.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

I don't make them, we agreed we wanted to do it even before it was compulsory. 

We don't like it, but our goal is to achieve as safe an environment as possible for all of us. 

I agree with you, if it is felt necessary  for customers, surely it should be compulsory for shop staff who are exposed to hundreds of potential carriers. 

Andy 

Edited by AndyMichelle
  • Like 7

38 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

No mask or shield, no entry...

It's not only you Andy. Joe's just been to our local One-stop branch and they're refusing entry to anyone not wearing a mask, face-shield or face covering. All the staff are also wearing masks. They'll certainly have our custom.

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Another thing that I don't understand is, if you have to wear masks in shops , supermarkets or takeaways etc, then why is it OK to sit in a cinema or a theatre for 2 or more hours, with many more people than you'd come into contact with shopping,  without one???

Avril 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Another thing that I don't understand is, if you have to wear masks in shops , supermarkets or takeaways etc, then why is it OK to sit in a cinema or a theatre for 2 or more hours, with many more people than you'd come into contact with shopping,  without one???

Avril 

Maybe Dominic C. Can give us an answer?🤔

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

Avril, this is exactly why we will not be going to the theatre or cinema in the near future.  I did hear that there will only be alternate rows used and that not all seats on a given row will be used but as it is inside I still do not feel that it will be safe.

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

Not theatres Avril, they are not open which I find really odd.  Why is a cinema OK and a theatre not?