Celebrity Cruisers - How are Things where YOU are?

Host Anne

15 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Maybe in Canada but most of the USA has come past any idea of lockdowns.  That will not happen here.  Maybe some indoor restrictions and mask recommendations at best in some cities or areas.

In NYC  workers are "locked out"  if they are not vaxed.   Entry to restaurants or shows, etc ls denied if not vaxed ( many are closed down anyhow due to Covid, Covid rules and economy)  That's a big shut down! 

Most folks will do the basic paper  masks...but the other rules  are not accepted by all and quite a few  are  looking to leave  NY  to avoid mandates and crime..all factors. 

Govs were focused on Vax but dropped ball on tests!  We are behind..once again! So embarassing!

36 minutes ago, hcat said:

In NYC  workers are "locked out"  if they are not vaxed.   Entry to restaurants or shows, etc ls denied if not vaxed ( many are closed down anyhow due to Covid, Covid rules and economy)  That's a big shut down! 

Most folks will do the basic paper  masks...but the other rules  are not accepted by all and quite a few  are  looking to leave  NY  to avoid mandates and crime..all factors. 

Govs were focused on Vax but dropped ball on tests!  We are behind..once again! So embarassing!

Lock outs for the non-vaccinated - yes- especially in the large progressive/liberal cities.  Lock downs no.  Not even in highly progressive areas.  That is my impression of the current trends anyway.

6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Lock outs for the non-vaccinated - yes- especially in the large progressive/liberal cities.  Lock downs no.  Not even in highly progressive areas.  That is my impression of the current trends anyway.

Agreed...

our  son in law reports he is called every day at least once,  by the Quarantine "police" to make sure his 18 mo old is staying home, guess it applies to the whole family.  They ask  many intrusive questions.  Once they  know they are at  home and have provided the contact list that should be enough,. We also heard that If you avoid the phone call, they come to the door.  World has really changed in such a short time,

Even tho we are  saddened by the set backs, we are going to make  pre cruise hotel res ( refundable)  for Nov,.hoping it will be sorted out by then,

3 hours ago, hcat said:

Agreed...

our  son in law reports he is called every day at least once,  by the Quarantine "police" to make sure his 18 mo old is staying home, guess it applies to the whole family.  They ask  many intrusive questions.  Once they  know they are at  home and have provided the contact list that should be enough,. We also heard that If you avoid the phone call, they come to the door.  World has really changed in such a short time,

Even tho we are  saddened by the set backs, we are going to make  pre cruise hotel res ( refundable)  for Nov,.hoping it will be sorted out by then,

Have not heard of the Quarantine Police before your post.  Is this a NY thing?

12 hours ago, hcat said:

Pick a priority, the other guys wanted to stop testing so the "numbers" would be less embarrassing. I vote to prioritize Vaccinations every time. No matter where in the world you are from. Get the vaccine, what good is the test without the vaccine?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Pick a priority, the other guys wanted to stop testing so the "numbers" would be less embarrassing. I vote to prioritize Vaccinations every time. No matter where in the world you are from. Get the vaccine, what good is the test without the vaccine?

Three legs to the stool. Vaccines to protect, treatments to help those infected, and tests to know who/when to target with treatments or other measures. All three slowly coming along, but still only for small portions of the world’s population. This will go on for a while.

Stan

5 hours ago, hcat said:

Agreed...

Who are the quarantine police?

Just found out last night that my BIL and my nephew in Massachusetts are infected and have some mild symptoms.  Both were double vaccinated but not boosted.  This surge is bad everywhere.  But hopefully over quick.  I am worried that my in-laws who live with them (91 and 86 with heart problems) will be protected as both have had the booster.  I think with the high degree of infectiousness of Omicron hitting at the peak of the holidays, it will be a very rocky road over at least the next month and IMO cruise ships will have positive tests trending upward.  Be prepared for this for those cruising in Jan-Feb. 

11 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Three legs to the stool. Vaccines to protect, treatments to help those infected, and tests to know who/when to target with treatments or other measures. All three slowly coming along, but still only for small portions of the world’s population. This will go on for a while.

Stan

Two years and counting.

33 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I am worried that my in-laws who live with them (91 and 86 with heart problems) will be protected as both have had the booster.

My mom is 99 and in an assisted living facility. Thus far, they have not had boosters. No reason for this since they're readily available. A bit worrisome being that we took her out on Christmas for our family gathering. I will keep after the facility to see if they plan to get the boosters soon. I'd think a place like that should be priority. My aunt, who is 96, said she won't get anymore covid shots (including boosters). She was along on Christmas also. Oh well, it is what it is. 

48 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

My mom is 99 and in an assisted living facility. Thus far, they have not had boosters. No reason for this since they're readily available. A bit worrisome being that we took her out on Christmas for our family gathering. I will keep after the facility to see if they plan to get the boosters soon. I'd think a place like that should be priority. My aunt, who is 96, said she won't get anymore covid shots (including boosters). She was along on Christmas also. Oh well, it is what it is. 

Can you take her to a pharmacy and get her a booster?

22 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Who are the quarantine police?

NYS  Health Dept... has a cadre of paid tracers..a new cottage industry that apparently self perpetuates. They have not yet adopted new CDC guide lines.

Yesterday,  they asked if the children who live in the same houdehold play together ( duh),  and had the wrong end date for older boy's quarantine. Then another one called and they finally  made the correction.

School is on break so no rush and the elem school may go virtual,  as will dtr's job.

Today they woke son in law to ask him his race...not relevant!.  They only are supposed to track and trace but have obviously. overstepped.

Not enough test sites..poor coordination overall. Many rules 

We are trying to lay low here in FL.  Today we booked pre cruise hotel and our tix  to Fl for Nov cruise ..BEYOND!

Hope springs eternal.!

On 12/28/2021 at 10:19 AM, TeeRick said:

Can you take her to a pharmacy and get her a booster?

That's what we're going to do. Talked to them again yesterday and they said (almost unbelievably).."we had a few in but won't be getting anymore"  😳  I mean...how crazy is this for an assisted living facility?  It gets better...they just hired a new LPN back in August but she already left. So I wound up talking to a new "medical director" - see how long she lasts. The place is nice enough - small and usually very quiet - and my Mom has been there now for 5 years, but something just doesn't work since, employee-wise, it's like a revolving door. I can't keep up with the staff changes. At this point would hate to move her somewhere else since she has very significant memory issues and gets disoriented enough as is without making major changes to her routine and location. Even crazier is that the families were not even notified that they won't be getting boosters. It was taken over by a large outfit a few years ago and that's when things started to slip downhill in  many ways. Prior to that it was just a small independently run facility and things were better. I must say, though, that they've done amazingly well throughout the entire pandemic. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

Sad about your mom and foljs in similar facilities.  Maybe you can hire a pvt aide to go in twice a month to check on her, review med lists etc.  I hear that is starting to happen.  

A friend of mine is s pvt aide for someone  in a local asst living facility.

She us welcomed by staff as she lessens pressure on them.  Obviously not everyone can afford a pvt aide full time but maybe once in awhile??

Good luck!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

That's what we're going to do. Talked to them again yesterday and they said (almost unbelievably).."we had a few in but won't be getting anymore"  😳  I mean...how crazy is this for an assisted living facility?  It gets better...they just hired a new LPN back in August but she already left. So I wound up talking to a new "medical director" - see how long she lasts. The place is nice enough - small and usually very quiet - and my Mom has been there now for 5 years, but something just doesn't work since, employee-wise, it's like a revolving door. I can't keep up with the staff changes. At this point would hate to move her somewhere else since she has very significant memory issues and gets disoriented enough as is without making major changes to her routine and location. Even crazier is that the families were not even notified that they won't be getting boosters. It was taken over by a large outfit a few years ago and that's when things started to slip downhill in  many ways. Prior to that it was just a small independently run facility and things were better. I must say, though, that they've done amazingly well throughout the entire pandemic. 

No excuses for not vaccinating (boosting) their residents.  I would call the county or state health authorities about this.  Do it anonymously if you want but you might be saving lives by doing so.  Good luck! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

No excuses

Absolutely. They're "vaccinated"- two doses -  but not the booster, which, at this point, given the level of contagion associated with omicron, is probably tantamount to not being vaccinated at all or else minimal protection. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

19 hours ago, hcat said:

Let me  join in your good wishes to all!

Yes Happy New Year everybody.  We said good riddance to 2020 and for a while 2021 was looking promising.  But it is ending like doggie doo-doo.  So good riddance to 2021 too.  And let's hope that we can be optimistic that 2022 is the year the pandemic ends (mostly).🙂

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

There  are so many questions and unknowns.. but few anwers. Our  local school district in suburban NY...has a new plan. Keeping classroom windows open part way..it is around 25 degres up there..windchill too! And not all rooms have windows that open???   Grasping at strawsl

We are laying low in Fl..  Fauci was not encouraging when he said Covid will reach all of us! Hope he is wrong.. 

13 minutes ago, hcat said:

We are laying low in Fl..  Fauci was not encouraging when he said Covid will reach all of us! Hope he is wrong.. 

Best case would be the same as the seasonal flu for which most of us take a yearly vaccine.  But I do think getting to that stage will take most of us having covid vaccination/booster(s).  Some don't get the flu even though they haven't been inoculated against it....maybe the same outcome with covid eventually.