How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

Well I cheered myself up by instead of settling for the Basic Hearing Aids paid for by the government, I added what it would have cost for my fare on the recently cancelled NZ cruise to the kitty and I pick up a far more superior pair next week.  

7 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Well I cheered myself up by instead of settling for the Basic Hearing Aids paid for by the government, I added what it would have cost for my fare on the recently cancelled NZ cruise to the kitty and I pick up a far more superior pair next week.  

If you are like me, you won't be sorry. The difference is like chalk and cheese. 😉

15 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Good to hear.

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

Do you currently wear hearing aids and will this be new for you?

54 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Do you currently wear hearing aids and will this be new for you?

Virgin ears, first time hearing aids after procrastinating for a couple of years. Typical hearing for a 76yo who started shooting at 8yo, rifle club member, pistol club member, artillery in the army, and working life as a builder before they thought of hearing protection. Computer screen shot of the test showed low frequency reasonable then falling off a cliff as it got higher in frequency. Missing the first letter of some words, completely missing a few others, recommended a pair of level 3 hearing aids. Shuddered at the price initially but the Gov contribution and rationalising the lost cruise fare into the equation helped me, and particularly her with perfect hearing, bite the bullet.

23 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Virgin ears, first time hearing aids after procrastinating for a couple of years. Typical hearing for a 76yo who started shooting at 8yo, rifle club member, pistol club member, artillery in the army, and working life as a builder before they thought of hearing protection. Computer screen shot of the test showed low frequency reasonable then falling off a cliff as it got higher in frequency. Missing the first letter of some words, completely missing a few others, recommended a pair of level 3 hearing aids. Shuddered at the price initially but the Gov contribution and rationalising the lost cruise fare into the equation helped me, and particularly her with perfect hearing, bite the bullet.

When I first got hearing aids, the audiologist advised (very strongly) that I should not to wear them to drive home because I could be startled if there was a sudden noise like a truck's air brakes. I had to get used to them gradually by wearing them for a couple of hours at a time in the house for a couple of days before going outside with them. I could see why they advised this. The first time I wore them outside I could hear leaves on the trees rustling and other sounds I hadn't heard for many years.

All the best with them. They will help a lot, but even expensive ones won't give a person perfect hearing.

I got my new hearing aids yesterday. What a difference. These are a step up in the model from my old ones, plus the front microphones weren't working properly. I could here the annoying walking encyclopedia sitting behind us at the restaurant, unfortunately those people seem to like the sound of their own voice and I couldn't hear Lynn, or anyone in front of me very well.

I even have a little widget that links to my mobile phone so it is right in my ears.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

I got my new hearing aids yesterday. What a difference. These are a step up in the model from my old ones, plus the front microphones weren't working properly. I could here the annoying walking encyclopedia sitting behind us at the restaurant, unfortunately those people seem to like the sound of their own voice and I couldn't hear Lynn, or anyone in front of me very well.

I even have a little widget that links to my mobile phone so it is right in my ears.

I'll be able to control mine from my phone with a bluetooth connection, volume/program/etc, but phone or TV require a widget that is an optional extra.

Just now, Russell21 said:

I'll be able to control mine from my phone with a bluetooth connection, volume/program/etc, but phone or TV require a widget that is an optional extra.

I think we have the same hearing aids, mine are Oticon Opn. I did get the phone widget, I don't know if I'll use it but I didn't have to pay for it. I can control mine from the App as well but am having trouble getting it downloaded on my phone.

I got the app downloaded. I will get a tutorial from my audiologist when I go back next week.

We are going on a bit off a getaway for a couple of days on Thursday so that will be interesting. Right now there seems to be a little too much boost. I find myself turning them down. Ironically the annual hearing test at work is next week, that will be interesting.

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I got the app downloaded. I will get a tutorial from my audiologist when I go back next week.

We are going on a bit off a getaway for a couple of days on Thursday so that will be interesting. Right now there seems to be a little too much boost. I find myself turning them down. Ironically the annual hearing test at work is next week, that will be interesting.

Enjoy the new hearing aids Lyle and your trip.  You will be able to hear the lobster claws cracking now as you chew on them.🥐

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think we have the same hearing aids, mine are Oticon Opn. I did get the phone widget, I don't know if I'll use it but I didn't have to pay for it. I can control mine from the App as well but am having trouble getting it downloaded on my phone.

Mine will be Signia, not sure what model.

13 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Right now there seems to be a little too much boost. I find myself turning them down.

When I got my first ones some years ago now, the audiologist set the volume setting based on my hearing in the quiet office. I walked out of the shop onto a busy street & was bombarded by sound & could hear people talking across the street, so I manually turned them down & got her to reset the start-up volume down when I went for my follow-up the following week. 

My much better newer ones I still find are set at too higher volume on start-up, so I automatically click down a couple of clicks each time I put them in, but have then the option to turn them up as required.

Anyway, I can hear much better - my initial assessment was that I had severe hearing loss - so I can hear most things, although DW says I still have selective deafness 🙂

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mr walker said:

When I got my first ones some years ago now, the audiologist set the volume setting based on my hearing in the quiet office. I walked out of the shop onto a busy street & was bombarded by sound & could hear people talking across the street, so I manually turned them down & got her to reset the start-up volume down when I went for my follow-up the following week. 

My much better newer ones I still find are set at too higher volume on start-up, so I automatically click down a couple of clicks each time I put them in, but have then the option to turn them up as required.

Anyway, I can hear much better - my initial assessment was that I had severe hearing loss - so I can hear most things, although DW says I still have selective deafness 🙂

What is this “selective deafness”, I think that I have suffered from a malady similar to that for some time. The symptoms are “I told you that was broken, don’t you listen?, look I said that needs doing”.  A similar affliction is poor vision when being unable to locate an item, that is accompanied to a cry of “look it was there all the time, you just had to move the box/car/cat.

Who would want it to be any different!.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Air NZ are resuming flights to the Cook Islands on Sat , but only for returning citizens .
Covid 19 coronavirus: Cook Islands reopens borders to New Zealand - but only to returning residents 
https://nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12361065

I look forward to when I can revisit the Cook Islands, especially Aitutaki.  

Just checked out the current situation re visiting Lord Howe Island.  The current health advice re no visitors has been extended to the end of November.  We're hoping we can visit in December, however there are only limited flights from Sydney at present.  

28 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Just checked out the current situation re visiting Lord Howe Island.  The current health advice re no visitors has been extended to the end of November.  We're hoping we can visit in December, however there are only limited flights from Sydney at present.  

You might be interested in the Chatman Islands as well . 

42 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I can't believe how lucky we were to go last year, we almost postponed it for this year but some classic rewards flights became available so decided to book then and there. I hope you get to go it is an amazing place, try the Balls Pyramid cruise if they go, it  is so awesome up close. 

Edited by ilikeanswers

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

I can't believe how lucky we were to go last year, we almost postponed it for this year but some classic rewards flights became available so decided to book then and there. I hope you get to go it is an amazing place, try the Balls Pyramid cruise if they go, it  is so awesome up close. 

Glad you got to visit last year and better still to get classic reward flights.  We are lucky to have been several times, including December last year.  We love the place and have done the boat tour to Balls Pyramid twice, as it is such a unique place.  When we show people the beautiful photos, they think it is somewhere overseas.  It is NSW's secret!