Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 minute ago, bobmacliberty said:

I think you’re literally right next to it. Very large indoor/outdoor shopping, dining, and entertainment center. 

Yup

lol

Massive 

Like when I was in the park in Maui looking for the BIG banyan tree and I was under it. 

ty

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I've seen one too many cars rust away because the owner was eventually going to do something with it.  They never did, and then it was too late.  They are meant to be driven, even if sparingly. 

Like I'm going to say to home today, you have to keep that body moving if you want to continue using it. 

When my father passed away in 2004, we gave his 1988 Mercury Grand Marquis station wagon to my nephew who was in college at the time. He had many fond memories of the car from his childhood when he & his grandfather (my dad) would take road trips together, often just the two of them.   For a few years, it was his daily driver back and forth to college.

This car was the typical "Grandfather car". The big, boxy with a hood as long as an aircraft carrier. Wire wheel covers, opera lights, fake wood grain paneling, velour seats, etc. I thought it he'd be embarrassed driving the car to school but the opposite was true.  It somehow came across as "Retro-cool" (yeah, I don't get it either) and when my nephew told people the story as to why he had the car, well, let's just say he did very well with the ladies.

Anyways, once he started his career, he purchased better daily drivers including a BMW and Cadillac ATS with manual transmission but he still would love to drive the old Mercury wagon on weekends.  Eventually, he drove it less and less and time & the elements caught up with the car. Too much rust and he had too little time to maintain the car even though he is quite the backyard mechanic.  

• Like 7

Mimi- You had me thinking about trains/subways after reading your post.

The train that ran over Jamaica Ave ,called the El,wasn’t the 6th Ave train. Lenny is correct that the 6th Ave train was the F train which ran underground on the subway line. It went into NYC. I took that train many times from Forest Hills into the City until about the mid eighties.

The train along Jamaica Ave was the BMT and I think it went into Brooklyn. To take that line into NYC might have needed a transfer at some point. My aunt was a legal secretary for a firm in Manhattan. She took the El as she lived in Woodhaven a few blocks from the train. I took the train with her several times and I remember liking the BMT over the F train  as it had red vinyl seats and was high up so I could see things. Funny what I remember from childhood.

I recall subway cars had straw-like webbing on them,the cars were a dark olive green and vote for Miss Subway posters were prominitely displayed over the seats with individual posters displaying photos of the contestants. Yes, I am old!

You took the train to Brooklyn to swim in a hotel pool. My friends and I took trains- with several transfers- to Rockaway Beach in the summers to swim in the ocean.We were in HS,but too young to drive. Good times!

Wishing everyone a 😎day !

MJ🙋🏻

Edited by MJSailors
Added a sentence.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

PS I meant to add that the elevated tracks (similar to the Loop in Chicago) were taken down some years ago. When I first saw Jamaica Ave without the tracks, it looked very bare. But, there was more sunlight for the buildings facing the tracks. A plus for those living in apartments over the various shops and businesses in those buildings.

MJ

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

The train that ran over Jamaica Ave ,called the El,wasn’t the 6th Ave train. Lenny is correct that the 6th Ave train was the F train which ran underground on the subway line. It went into NYC. I took that train many times from Forest Hills into the City until about the mid eighties.

The train along Jamaica Ave was the BMT and I think it went into Brooklyn. To take that line into NYC might have needed a transfer at some point. My aunt was a legal secretary for a firm in Manhattan. She took the El as she lived in Woodhaven a few blocks from the train. I took the train with her several times and I remember liking the BMT over the F train  as it had red vinyl seats and was high up so I could see things. Funny what I remember from childhood.

I recall subway cars had straw-like webbing on them,the cars were a dark olive green and vote for Miss Subway posters were prominitely displayed over the seats with individual posters displaying photos of the contestants. Yes, I am old!

You took the train to Brooklyn to swim in a hotel pool. My friends and I took trains- with several transfers- to Rockaway Beach in the summers to swim in the ocean.We were in HS,but too young to drive. Good times!

MJ🙋🏻

J train was the elevated train that ran over Jamaica blvd, my parents lived in woodhaven blvd and I took that train to work in late 60’s and early 70’s , I remember the straw covering the seats had also .

• Like 1

Are you old too George? LOL!

Now that you mention it, the J train sounds familiar.

Have to ask you,since your parents lived in Woodhaven,did they shop at Lewis of Woodhaven? Great store and good people who owned it. 

Did you go to Forest Park for picnics and rides on the carousel there ?

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

Have to ask you,since your parents lived in Woodhaven,did they shop at Lewis of Woodhaven? Great store and good people who owned it. 

MJ🙋🏻

My parents condo was across the street from Forest Park , I played basketball and softball there and I do remember the carousel. Don’t remember Lewis store but that was 50 years ago . 

Lewis closed a number of years ago. One of the sons ,possibly grandson ?, is Barry Lewis. He is an historian. He had a show on PBS awhile ago hosting walkabouts giving the history of neighborhoods of the various boroughs of NYC. I recall that David (?) Hartman - actor- was on the program with him.

I would shop with my mother at Lewis during the 1960s-1970s. I still have Christmas ornaments that we purchased there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

People here just don’t seem to get your sarcasm. Me?  I’m fluent in sarcasm. 

My two best friends are sarcastic professionals. I'd feel right at home around you.

• Like 8

As most of know I have a fascination in super yachts. I subscribe on You Tube to Jared Watney's channel. He is an incredible content provider and all his videos are top notch. He's worked on dozens of super yachts. The current one he's on is a jet motor yacht (think jet ski's) which I did not know they made. Apparently they can get into real shallow areas that other yachts can't. Check his video. I learned something new today.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

The Balsamic and oil one for sure.  Do you add dill?

Bonnie,do you recall two years ago when I asked you if you ever knew Estelle who lived at 530D and you said you do not recall anyone with that name ? I have two more things about her.She graduated Seward Park in 1962,her last name was Engel and she had red hair.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lionesss said:

Good morning from the big city.  Columbus Ohio. My DH is here for a two day conference so I decided to come down and rough it while he gets educated. 

So we are staying at the Hilton in Easton and as I woke up I opened the drapes and a beautiful field of sunflowers welcomed me. And soon I will venture out and shop. 

It is nice to getaway. But we left our town on a sad note.  

One of my friends that I worked with for over 30 years passed away after a short illness. 

He was a character and in charge of ordering our supplies.  Now he never married. And all the girls at work. Well. We were his “ work wives”.  

Now there were a few things that made him unique.  And the next part is not to be taken in the wrong way. Just sharing my thoughts. 

His life style lead the way at our facility because he enjoyed life to the fullest and broke barriers early. 

He and his partner were well known and they were not pushy about their life style.  He was always there for his mom taking care of her needs as she aged and gave her a good life. 

And he and his partner were a couple for many many years. 

But what made him become Ill was he was a chain smoker at work. Some days smoking 3 paks of cigarettes. And still got his job done. 

So early in June he started feeling sick. Got tested. And diagnosed with lung cancer with metastatic disease to brain.  One day he was walking the dog. The next day he did not know his dogs name. At least he did not suffer long. 

Now as I sit and type this the celebration of life  dinner is tomorrow.  And I cannot attend to share my closure. 

He was a true friend. 
May he rest peacefully. 

I think when I woke up and looked out the window and saw all the sunflowers it was a way for me to know everything will be ok  

thanks for letting me share. 

Sorry for the loss of your co-worker

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lionesss said:

He was a true friend. 

May he rest peacefully. 
I think when I woke up and looked out the window and saw all the sunflowers it was a way for me to know everything will be ok 

So sorry for the loss of your co-worker. I believe those sunflowers were definitely a message to you.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:
3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

People here just don’t seem to get your sarcasm. Me?  I’m fluent in sarcasm. 

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

We speak the same language.

Could you two please ️.   

As someone who also has a dry, sarcastic sense of humor, I found out a long time ago my incredibly witty and creative "jokes"  sometimes do not translate well into the written word on internet forums. 😁.

Using a smiling or smirking emoji helps but sometimes the sarcasm gets lost when you can't see a persons facial expression or hear the tone of their voice. For the record, its safe to assume I'm usually being sarcastic.🙂  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MJSailors said:

MJ🙋🏻

I took the Green bus from Brooklyn to Rockaway Beach.I remember the straw like webbing subway seats too.I believe they were the seats on all trains in the 30’s .Later on only a few subway lines had those types of seats.I remember the subways that had fans and being 6’5 I had to bend down if I did not have a seat.

The trains that I was on most often were the IRT and BMT .I was very rarely on the IND .I remember the days when my parents and I took the Long Island Rail Road to visit relatives in East Meadow.That was the only are of LI we ever went to.

When I was 19 I had a girl friend living in the Bronx and I would go from the first stop of the IRT in Brooklyn to close to Yankee Stadium in the Bronx.

In those days even on the hottest days/nights guys wore suits and ties .Can you imagine a 90 minute subway ride on a July night in a wool suit .When I arrived it was as though I swam there

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MJSailors said:

PS I meant to add that the elevated tracks (similar to the Loop in Chicago) were taken down some years ago. When I first saw Jamaica Ave without the tracks, it looked very bare. But, there was more sunlight for the buildings facing the tracks. A plus for those living in apartments over the various shops and businesses in those buildings.

MJ

The very first time I ate pizza was in Jamaica at age 16.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George C said:

J train was the elevated train that ran over Jamaica blvd, my parents lived in woodhaven blvd and I took that train to work in late 60’s and early 70’s , I remember the straw covering the seats had also .

We had friends living on Woodhaven Blvd in an apartment house across the street from Forest Park in the 60’s.

2 hours ago, MJSailors said:

MJ🙋🏻

I would get the J train at Broadway Junction  transferring from the L train.

image.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJSailors said:

Lewis closed a number of years ago. One of the sons ,possibly grandson ?, is Barry Lewis. He is an historian. He had a show on PBS awhile ago hosting walkabouts giving the history of neighborhoods of the various boroughs of NYC. I recall that David (?) Hartman - actor- was on the program with him.

I would shop with my mother at Lewis during the 1960s-1970s. I still have Christmas ornaments that we purchased there.

Barry Lewis passed away last year. I used to watch the show on PBS  too.
Are you familiar with Brian Merlis ? He is a historian who writes books about different neighborhoods in Brooklyn.He is also an accomplished photographer and travels into the neighborhoods that he writes about taking pictures.I have several of his books .