Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

5 hours ago, sgmn said:

My husband still has box's of his mums stuff in the garage 22 years after she's passed. Also his father's Mercedes has followed us from house to house for 35 years, keeps saying he's going to get it road worthy but 🤷‍♀️....

Oh dear.  My husband has had his mother’s Mercedes for the past 14 years.  It has not been driven in all that time.  Under a cover in our barn.  Periodically I suggest he sell it…and I get nonsensical responses like “It reminds me of her.”  Really?  Do you go out in the barn, uncover it, sit in it and think of her?!  We have furniture of hers and a large portrait of her in the house!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Oh dear.  My husband has had his mother’s Mercedes for the past 14 years.  It has not been driven in all that time.  Under a cover in our barn.  Periodically I suggest he sell it…and I get nonsensical responses like “It reminds me of her.”  Really?  Do you go out in the barn, uncover it, sit in it and think of her?!  We have furniture of hers and a large portrait of her in the house!

Women just don't understand...☺️😇😮

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I just you could ask with a devilish smile, "did you leave you mom in the barn unattended for years?" 😈

If you already have nice keepsakes in the house the slowly declining car in the barn is not exactly the same tribute to her memories. If it got out for a drive a few times a year that would be another situation IMO. Unless it is a gull-wing or a super collector edition it is there only for emotional reasons, and as the custodian of this car sitting in the barn does not help the car nor strengthen his ties to his mom. It should be out and driven and he can remember his mom in her better days VS languishing in the dark.

Just my thoughts, but I'd share them with any car lover, as I too am the custodian of a few too many cars. In fact I had to respectfully decline a 32 Ford roadster that needs a new home last week. The owner, who I've known for about 10 years, is in his 80s and he wants it to go to a good home and I just have too much on the go right now. He owned it in the 1960s as a drag car and found it again about 15 years ago. He and his wife went on their first date in it. It survived the fates and time, and he wants it to go where it will be seen and taken care of.

Who knows, if it still around in the fall or next year it might find its way here but that's other story. 

Resized_20220605_125906.thumb.JPEG.9580e660557ef3028c14d94d597f17c2.JPEG

Resized_20220605_125753.thumb.JPEG.47b264b30570981f81aae93f7ac0cf85.JPEG

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 16

Good morning from the big city.  Columbus Ohio. My DH is here for a two day conference so I decided to come down and rough it while he gets educated. 

So we are staying at the Hilton in Easton and as I woke up I opened the drapes and a beautiful field of sunflowers welcomed me. And soon I will venture out and shop. 

It is nice to getaway. But we left our town on a sad note.  

One of my friends that I worked with for over 30 years passed away after a short illness. 

He was a character and in charge of ordering our supplies.  Now he never married. And all the girls at work. Well. We were his “ work wives”.  

Now there were a few things that made him unique.  And the next part is not to be taken in the wrong way. Just sharing my thoughts. 

His life style lead the way at our facility because he enjoyed life to the fullest and broke barriers early. 

He and his partner were well known and they were not pushy about their life style.  He was always there for his mom taking care of her needs as she aged and gave her a good life. 

And he and his partner were a couple for many many years. 

But what made him become Ill was he was a chain smoker at work. Some days smoking 3 paks of cigarettes. And still got his job done. 

So early in June he started feeling sick. Got tested. And diagnosed with lung cancer with metastatic disease to brain.  One day he was walking the dog. The next day he did not know his dogs name. At least he did not suffer long. 

Now as I sit and type this the celebration of life  dinner is tomorrow.  And I cannot attend to share my closure. 

He was a true friend. 
May he rest peacefully. 

I think when I woke up and looked out the window and saw all the sunflowers it was a way for me to know everything will be ok  

thanks for letting me share. 

Edited by Lionesss
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I've seen one too many cars rust away because the owner was eventually going to do something with it.  They never did, and then it was too late.  They are meant to be driven, even if sparingly. 

Like I'm going to say to home today, you have to keep that body moving if you want to continue using it. 

• Like 6

17 hours ago, jagsfan said:

I remember taking the subway from Long Island to Brooklyn to swim.
The subway station was in Jackson  Heights and was elevated.

My friends’ older sister parked the car at Parsons Blvd in Jamaica to take …the 6th Ave subway???The huge (to me back then) pool was under a hotel. 
Don’t remember what it cost to swim. There was a ladies changing room and everything had that indoor pool smell. 
There was a waterfall at one end. It was fun standing under it. 
For years I remembered the name of the hotel but it’s lost in the mists of time now. 
Thus was about 70 years ago. I think the 6th Ave line is gone or renamed, and Lord knows what happened to the hotel and the pool. 

17 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

The only hotel that I remember where kids went to swim was the St.George in Brooklyn.

16 hours ago, jagsfan said:

Yes!!!! It was the St George!

I think…

Is this the pool?

https://www.scoutingny.com/searching-for-the-lost-pool-at-the-hotel-st-george/

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I’m a man and I don’t understand 🙂. But then again, I tend not to understand a lot of things that are illogical.  Especially when it comes to sentimental attachment to inanimate objects.  Just one of those asphergers things I guess.  I used to get in trouble a lot when I was little in school and I pointed out when the teacher would say something that wasn’t logical.  🤔🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 3

1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

I just you could ask with a devilish smile, "did you leave you mom in the barn unattended for years?" 😈

If you already have nice keepsakes in the house the slowly declining car in the barn is not exactly the same tribute to her memories. If it got out for a drive a few times a year that would be another situation IMO. Unless it is a gull-wing or a super collector edition it is there only for emotional reasons, and as the custodian of this car sitting in the barn does not help the car nor strengthen his ties to his mom. It should be out and driven and he can remember his mom in her better days VS languishing in the dark.

Just my thoughts, but I'd share them with any car lover, as I too am the custodian of a few too many cars. In fact I had to respectfully decline a 32 Ford roadster that needs a new home last week. The owner, who Ive known for about 10 years, is in his 80s and he wants it to go to a good home and I just have too much on the go right now. He owned it in the 1960s as a drag car and found it again about 15 years ago. He and his wife went on their first date in it. It survived the fates and time, and he wants it to go where it will be seen and taken care of.

Who knows, if it still around in the fall or next year it might find its way here but that's other story. 

You and that car would fit in perfectly at the Amelia Concours Andrew.  I recall an entire row of 32 Ford Roadsters from this year.   The weather here in March is very nice. 😉

IMG_8408.thumb.jpg.6781153c147c8e5b4f578917032bd643.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Good morning from the big city.  Columbus Ohio. My DH is here for a two day conference so I decided to come down and rough it while he gets educated. 

So we are staying at the Hilton in Easton and as I woke up I opened the drapes and a beautiful field of sunflowers welcomed me. And soon I will venture out and shop. 

One of my friends that I worked with for over 30 years passed away after a short illness. 

He was a character and in charge of ordering our supplies.  Now he never married. And all the girls at work. Well. We were his “ work wives”.  

Now there were a few things that made him unique.  And the next part is not to be taken in the wrong way. Just sharing my thoughts. 

His life style lead the way at our facility because he enjoyed life to the fullest and broke barriers early. 

He and his partner were well known and they were not pushy about their life style.  He was always there for his mom taking care of her needs as she aged and gave her a good life. 

But what made him become Ill was he was a chain smoker at work. Some days smoking 3 paks of cigarettes. And still got his job done. 

So early in June he started feeling sick. Got tested. And diagnosed with lung cancer with metastatic disease to brain.  One day he was walking the dog. The next day he did not know his dogs name. At least he did not suffer long. 

Now as I sit and type this the celebration of life  dinner is tomorrow.  And I cannot attend to share my closure. 

He was a true friend. 
May he rest peacefully. 

I think when I woke up and looked out the window and saw all the sunflowers it was a way for me to know everything will be ok  

Sorry to hear about your friend Sue.  Cancer is just nasty.  RIP.

Any plans to visit the Easton Town Center?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bobmacliberty said:

Sorry to hear about your friend Sue.  Cancer is just nasty.  RIP.

Any plans to visit the Easton Town Center?

Hopefully. Heading out walking soon.  

Is it close to the Hilton?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Getting ready to test my packing skills this morning to fit six people, plus suitcases, backpacks, and carryon bags in the vehicle for the trip to the airport. 

Have a great trip Mark!

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

Shall we drop this and continue on.

+1 Please.

23 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

In fact I had to respectfully decline a 32 Ford roadster that needs a new home last week.

What a beautiful roadster. I bet that was hard for you to pass up.

20 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

I an sorry to hear the loss of your beloved coworker and friend. We really need to find a cure for Cancer.

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I've seen one too many cars rust away because the owner was eventually going to do something with it.  They never did, and then it was too late.  They are meant to be driven, even if sparingly. 

Like I'm going to say to home today, you have to keep that body moving if you want to continue using it. 

oops, the bold above was to be “mom”.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Just my thoughts, but I'd share them with any car lover, as I too am the custodian of a few too many cars. In fact I had to respectfully decline a 32 Ford roadster that needs a new home last week. The owner, who I've known for about 10 years, is in his 80s and he wants it to go to a good home and I just have too much on the go right now. He owned it in the 1960s as a drag car and found it again about 15 years ago. He and his wife went on their first date in it. It survived the fates and time, and he wants it to go where it will be seen and taken care of.

Could be Owen's first car😁😇😃

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Well said, I agree😃

33 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

He was a true friend. 
May he rest peacefully. 

Sorry for this Sue. 

35 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

He was a true friend. 
May he rest peacefully. 

So sorry for the loss of your friend.   May he RIP🙏

Yes, go enjoy a beautiful walk with big bright sunflowers shining upon you😍

3 hours ago, h20skibum said:

+1

I am surprised at the number of people that get it, and those that are around them do not.  I thought for sure that Susan or my grandson or DIL would have got it from me, but they didn’t.  We saw some friends at a concert last night, and they had the same experience.

Getting ready to test my packing skills this morning to fit six people, plus suitcases, backpacks, and carryon bags in the vehicle for the trip to the airport. 

Same here, Eric had covid pre-vaccines and Doc said he was seeing a lot of families where only half got it.   I didn't bother masking or avoiding and I tested several times and never got it.   At the same time his Mother had it and I went back n forth to care for her, still never got it.    I found it so odd that everyone on Eric's side of the family had it but noone on my side has had it.   

Packing cars can be a challenge for that many people.   Have fun😁

Hope you have a great road trip.  Safe travels.😍

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

That’s my philosophy.  The car (a 1986 560) had not been driven for several years when his mom passed.  She lived in Atlanta and he was going to drive it over here…2 hours on I-20.  😱  I was following him…he had to pull off the highway twice as the engine died.  He actually was going to get back on the highway after the second death…I put my foot down and called AAA to come and tow it.

That’s the problem with too many outbuildings…

I’ve reiterated over the years that he should sell it…falls on deaf ears.  Rule No. 2 in marriage is:  pick your battles.  (No. 1 is:  separate checking accounts.)

• Like 10

1 hour ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

I’m a man and I don’t understand 🙂. But then again, I tend not to understand a lot of things that are illogical.  Especially when it comes to sentimental attachment to inanimate objects.  Just one of those asphergers things I guess.  I used to get in trouble a lot when I was little in school and I pointed out when the teacher would say something that wasn’t logical.  🤔🤷🏼‍♂️

I was joking....