Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

17 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

As someone who also has a dry, sarcastic sense of humor, I found out a long time ago my incredibly witty and creative "jokes"  sometimes do not translate well into the written word on internet forums. 😁.

Using a smiling or smirking emoji helps but sometimes the sarcasm gets lost when you can't see a persons facial expression or hear the tone of their voice. For the record, its safe to assume I'm usually being sarcastic.🙂  

I have a hard time not making a play on words.  Many times I have thought of a  witty or sarcastic response,  type it out as I am laughing and then choice not to hit the submit button. I hesitated on that last one but thought sarcasm about sarcasm..... they should see it.

When visiting my bothers a couple of weeks ago I realized it runs in the family. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

As someone who also has a dry, sarcastic sense of humor, I found out a long time ago my incredibly witty and creative "jokes"  sometimes do not translate well into the written word on internet forums. 😁.

Using a smiling or smirking emoji helps but sometimes the sarcasm gets lost when you can't see a persons facial expression or hear the tone of their voice. For the record, its safe to assume I'm usually being sarcastic.🙂  

I enjoy reading your posts. 

• Thanks 1

Lenny- That was some trip you took from Brooklyn to the Bronx!

My husband drove from Merrick to Forest Hills to see me for three years before we were married. It was a bit of a trip driving on the Southern State Pkwy and the Interboro (now the Jackie Robinson Pkwy) . I think it was true love !

But,then, three boyfriends before him made the trip from New Hyde Park, Floral Park and Bellerose. The closest fellow lived in Jackson Heights.

Good thing gas prices then were no where near what they are today !

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I have a hard time not making a play on words.  Many times I have thought of a  witty or sarcastic response,  type it out as I am laughing and then choice not to hit the submit button. I hesitated on that last one but thought sarcasm about sarcasm..... they should see it.

When visiting my bothers a couple of weeks ago I realized it runs in the family. 

Ah, the old double sarcasm joke about a sarcastic post. Kudos!  High Five 🙌 and Fist Bump🤜

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

Lenny- That was some trip you took from Brooklyn to the Bronx!

My husband drove from Merrick to Forest Hills to see me for three years before we were married. It was a bit of a trip driving on the Southern State Pkwy and the Interboro (now the Jackie Robinson Pkwy) . I think it was true love !

But,then, three boyfriends before him made the trip from New Hyde Park, Floral Park and Bellerose. The closest fellow lived in Jackson Heights.

Good thing gas prices then were no where near what they are today !

MJ🙋🏻

When I dated Toby she lived in Coney Island and I lived in Crown Heights .That was a bus,a train ,another bus and either a taxi or walking .

• Like 1

All of this Queens talk has me thinking of a few friends that I had  who livied in Forest Hills, right off Queens Blvd, once know as "The Blvd of Death" due to the high number of pedestrian fatalities when crossing the street.  We'd park the car at someones apartment and then have to cross the 127 lanes (sarcasm) that made up the boulevard to get to Austin Street which was a  mini restaurant row with a variety of trendy places to eat. 

Since I always drove there, sometime we'd drive to a great German place called 'Zum Stammtisch' or a Italian place called "Park Side". I don't think either was in Forest Hills - Corona maybe? - but I'm not familiar enough to know where the different neighborhoods begin and end.  Allegedly, ParkSide was a favorite place for one of New York's "connected" families, if you know what I mean.

Eventually lost touch with them all as they moved away but now I have the urge to visit. The restaurants, that is. 😉

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Oh dear.  My husband has had his mother’s Mercedes for the past 14 years.  It has not been driven in all that time.  Under a cover in our barn.  Periodically I suggest he sell it…and I get nonsensical responses like “It reminds me of her.”  Really?  Do you go out in the barn, uncover it, sit in it and think of her?!  We have furniture of hers and a large portrait of her in the house!

My Dad kept my mother’s Toyota Corolla running for me for years when the kids were younger.  It gave him a lot of pleasure that I drove it.  In hindsight it would have been better if I traded it in and replaced it with a newer car, 5 years before we mutually decided that the car’s maintenance was getting too expensive.  Main issue being it had no air-conditioning.  I remember driving DS and two friends to cricket in summer.  We were stuck in traffic on a 40C+ day and it was just as hot in the car as outside. It was brutal.  It also only had a radio which did DH’s head in on the rare occasions he drove it. He loves his music when drives.  Dad offered to install a CD/cassette player.  How times have changed.

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

All of this Queens talk has me thinking of a few friends that I had  who livied in Forest Hills, right off Queens Blvd, once know as "The Blvd of Death" due to the high number of pedestrian fatalities when crossing the street.  We'd park the car at someones apartment and then have to cross the 127 lanes (sarcasm) that made up the boulevard to get to Austin Street which was a  mini restaurant row with a variety of trendy places to eat. 

Since I always drove there, sometime we'd drive to a great German place called 'Zum Stammtisch' or a Italian place called "Park Side". I don't think either was in Forest Hills - Corona maybe? - but I'm not familiar enough to know where the different neighborhoods begin and end.  Allegedly, ParkSide was a favorite place for one of New York's "connected" families, if you know what I mean.

Eventually lost touch with them all as they moved away but now I have the urge to visit. The restaurants, that is. 😉

I was showing my wife the area that I grew up in which was ridgewood after that we went to Zum Stammtisch on Myrtle ave in Glendale for dinner with my friends of more than 60 years, this was just a few years ago. Really good German restaurant. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Park Side is the name of an Italian restaurant that was in Brooklyn known for connected families but in reality there is no such thing,as we know.

I order in all 5 boros and went to school in 3 of the 5.Having lived in Brooklyn nearly 60 years I know it best.I worked in Manhattan more than 30 years and know it nearly as well as Brooklyn .I spent a good deal of time in the Bronx and Staten Island and the least time in Queens but over the years I have dined there many times in many areas.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HBE4 said:

When my father passed away in 2004, we gave his 1988 Mercury Grand Marquis station wagon to my nephew who was in college at the time. He had many fond memories of the car from his childhood when he & his grandfather (my dad) would take road trips together, often just the two of them.   For a few years, it was his daily driver back and forth to college.

This car was the typical "Grandfather car". The big, boxy with a hood as long as an aircraft carrier. Wire wheel covers, opera lights, fake wood grain paneling, velour seats, etc. I thought it he'd be embarrassed driving the car to school but the opposite was true.  It somehow came across as "Retro-cool" (yeah, I don't get it either) and when my nephew told people the story as to why he had the car, well, let's just say he did very well with the ladies.

Anyways, once he started his career, he purchased better daily drivers including a BMW and Cadillac ATS with manual transmission but he still would love to drive the old Mercury wagon on weekends.  Eventually, he drove it less and less and time & the elements caught up with the car. Too much rust and he had too little time to maintain the car even though he is quite the backyard mechanic.  

Great story😍

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lionesss said:

Like when I was in the park in Maui looking for the BIG banyan tree and I was under it. 

I'm not very observant myself, I must say🙄

Sue, I'm so sorry to hear about your dear friend from work.  May he Rest in Peace.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

As most of know I have a fascination in super yachts. I subscribe on You Tube to Jared Watney's channel. He is an incredible content provider and all his videos are top notch. He's worked on dozens of super yachts. The current one he's on is a jet motor yacht (think jet ski's) which I did not know they made. Apparently they can get into real shallow areas that other yachts can't. Check his video. I learned something new today.

Super cool Yacht!     Thank you for sharing.   😍   I loved seeing the mommy shark with her babies.    Also great to hear the dog has a blast!    I guess I better start playing the lottery so I can get on one of these yachts.😁

• Like 2

4 hours ago, George C said:

J train was the elevated train that ran over Jamaica blvd, my parents lived in woodhaven blvd and I took that train to work in late 60’s and early 70’s , I remember the straw covering the seats had also .

Our SIRT trains on Staten Island also had the straw covered seats "back in the day".  I can't tell you how many nylon stockings got snagged on those seats!!🙄

• Like 4

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I'll just keep it short and on point from now on but it's going to be pretty boring.

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

The very first time I ate pizza was in Jamaica at age 16.

The first time I ate pizza was probably the day my mother brought me home from the hospital. Ok, so much for my sarcasm truce.

• Like 2
  • Haha 16