Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

@HBE4Thinking about Queens Blvd.

A friend and I would ride our bikes around Flushing Meadows Park ( the location of the two World’s Fairs). To get there,we had to cross Queens  Blvd on our bikes  to get to Jewel Ave and the park. This was in the late1960s- 1970s. Yikes ! I wouldn’t try that today,but back then,we thought nothing of it.

Lenny- to make that trip to date Toby it was true love,for sure !

Bonnie,Dani , Andrew’s Mom, Amanda- I hope you had a good day today,bringing you closer to recovery,good health and moving parts that work well.

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

The first time I ate pizza was probably the day my mother brought me home from the hospital. Ok, so much for my sarcasm truce.

I never remember not eating pizza , I grew up catholic and were not supposed to eat meat on Friday, so cheese pizza was the norm 😁😁😁

• Like 5

1 minute ago, George C said:

I never remember not eating pizza , I grew up catholic and were not supposed to eat meat on Friday, so cheese pizza was the norm 😁😁😁

I grew up catholic too. My mother never cared much for that Friday rule. I'm pretty sure some pope just had a bunch of friends who were fishermen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

8 minutes ago, George C said:

There were many catholics where I grew up.  Enough that even the public schools served fish on Friday. 

• Like 3

I also grew up with no meat on Fridays.  Our Friday meals varied..pizza one week, baked macaroni on another, smelts, etc.  I haven't had smelts since I was a kid;  I guess I must've liked them, but haven't had any since growing up.  Other meals (not Friday related) that I haven't eaten since a kid is kidney stew which I did enjoy, but would never have it now, and liver.  I used to love liver, but again, no more.🤷‍♀️

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I have to load them with tarter sauce, mayonnaise, or ketchup in order to be able to eat them.

I love tarter sauce with my fish sticks.  I'll throw some fish sticks in the toaster oven for lunch sometimes.  Just sayin...😁

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I have to load them with tarter sauce, mayonnaise, or ketchup in order to be able to eat them.

I float them in malt vinegar, but rarely eat them, not a fish fan in general. Wife can eat seafood daily not me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Mimi- You had me thinking about trains/subways after reading your post.

The train that ran over Jamaica Ave ,called the El,wasn’t the 6th Ave train. Lenny is correct that the 6th Ave train was the F train which ran underground on the subway line. It went into NYC. I took that train many times from Forest Hills into the City until about the mid eighties.

The train along Jamaica Ave was the BMT and I think it went into Brooklyn. To take that line into NYC might have needed a transfer at some point. My aunt was a legal secretary for a firm in Manhattan. She took the El as she lived in Woodhaven a few blocks from the train. I took the train with her several times and I remember liking the BMT over the F train  as it had red vinyl seats and was high up so I could see things. Funny what I remember from childhood.

I recall subway cars had straw-like webbing on them,the cars were a dark olive green and vote for Miss Subway posters were prominitely displayed over the seats with individual posters displaying photos of the contestants. Yes, I am old!

You took the train to Brooklyn to swim in a hotel pool. My friends and I took trains- with several transfers- to Rockaway Beach in the summers to swim in the ocean.We were in HS,but too young to drive. Good times!

Wishing everyone a 😎day !

MJ🙋🏻

I don’t know which train we took to Jackson Heights, I figured the 6th Ave because that’s the line my grandmother always took to Manhattan from Parsons Blvd. 

Seems like we were underground but yet it was elevated coming in to Jackson Heights. I remember it was storming and lightning all around us and we’re up in the air on the platform daring it to hit us. 
being a Florida girl,  I was surrounded by water, and here I was risking my life to swim in a pool. It was fun, though. 
I haven’t been on a New York subway in about 25 years, but I can remember the smell from the train and the squealing brakes. My uncles took us to Manhattan and to the Bronx Zoo so many times, and they always pulled us right off our feet running down the steps to the platform in case a train was there. 
Like there wouldn’t be another after it!

The only ad I remember was for English Muffins. It told how to make a little pizza out of them. 
As soon as I got home to jacksonville, I talked my mother into buying the muffins and the ingredients. They were fun to make and fun to eat. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

The first time I ate pizza was probably the day my mother brought me home from the hospital. Ok, so much for my sarcasm truce.

The interesting thing is that my godfather was Italian and although he took me out to eat many times it was never for pizza.

2 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Our SIRT trains on Staten Island also had the straw covered seats "back in the day".  I can't tell you how many nylon stockings got snagged on those seats!!🙄

I remember the SI trains .It has been many years since I was on one.

Toby and I were members of a Senior Tour group for several years.In 2018 we were on a tour of Staten Island .It was lunch at an Italian restaurant ,museums ,and a ride on the ferry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJSailors said:

@HBE4Thinking about Queens Blvd.

A friend and I would ride our bikes around Flushing Meadows Park ( the location of the two World’s Fairs). To get there,we had to cross Queens  Blvd on our bikes  to get to Jewel Ave and the park. This was in the late1960s- 1970s. Yikes ! I wouldn’t try that today,but back then,we thought nothing of it.

Lenny- to make that trip to date Toby it was true love,for sure !

Bonnie,Dani , Andrew’s Mom, Amanda- I hope you had a good day today,bringing you closer to recovery,good health and moving parts that work well.

MJ🙋🏻

We will be married 56 years in January ,that is true love 😀

• Like 8