Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

We've been to the vet twice in the last 5 days. He doesn't think she is going down yet but she is not eating, very lethargic and her eyesight is going. The other night she tried to go down the stairs and fell. It's a miracle that she did not break any bones. Tonight while watching tv she just laid in my lap clinging to me. She usually lays next to me but not on me. It's sad. Luckily our dog/house sitter has watched her before. She is good. I have to prepare myself that she could go downhill while we are on our cruise. I can't stand to see any animal not their regular happy self.  Thank you for your concern. I really appreciate it.

So sorry to read this about your beloved dog.I am praying that she gets better.

• Like 2

While at Haleiwa Beach, we had this delicious burger at Teddy’s Bigger Burgers with their most amazing homemade sauce on it.  

E646A9F2-25DA-4F51-A0CC-5BC79D174B7B.thumb.jpeg.b883f9c837d36a6ea6bb3eb873ce0ac3.jpeg

The bar

76E72CE4-0166-4F30-9867-0634A322BFAC.thumb.jpeg.2c3bef9318398304333a71af490a0001.jpeg

The burger

824FBF84-FAD9-4ACF-B1DF-F713A0D4DC08.thumb.jpeg.d85b64514eb59f97603b100177b6ad5c.jpeg

But for me, a burger is not complete without lots of ketchup on it

EAF564C2-72B4-470E-9F27-A0A5680BF4C4.thumb.jpeg.99feb6b9213e0bf4526e28aedf5477a2.jpeg

If you are in Haleiwa, you must stop by the popular Matsumoto’s Shave Ice

0A31A464-6A8C-4FA8-8344-03CAE5C8041E.thumb.jpeg.cd5404f7f832da1bfe1344439dbfd3e6.jpeg

Here is the shrimp truck area.  @dani negreanuGiovanni’s Shrimp Truck is on the left.  Very busy there.  People getting their garlic shrimp fix.

BB786189-8D56-4244-86EE-E0A5A0663426.thumb.jpeg.d39bf7f7a8ad3b1058eecfd858b42a27.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Progress on decorating tree

Looks great. I usually get started the day after Halloween but because we are leaving on Friday for the cruise I doubt I will have time to get anything up. That means once I return on the 14th it will be a mad dash to get everything up before Thanksgiving. Putting up 5 indoor trees and 4 outside trees is a lot of work. Sometimes I don't know why I am killing myself doing it.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Today I went to my Dermatologist.He removed 5 pre cancerous growths from my head and biopsied one from my abdomen.

Today the biopsies came back -- my wife has invasive ductal carcinoma (a fancy term for breast cancer). We will have to cancel the transatlantic cruise we booked for later this month.

Three years ago, I was diagnosed with advanced metastatic melanoma in my neck. We had to cancel a European trip that was supposed to begin the day after my surgery.

Stuff happens, unfortunately, doesn't it?

• Like 13

On 10/30/2021 at 1:34 AM, JamesEM said:

Regarding home repairs, I retired and moved to the South (SC) and one thing I noticed here is how a simple job that took one day to accomplish up North can be turned into a week long project. 

It’s even worse down here. Ugh!

On 10/30/2021 at 5:43 AM, grapau27 said:

Thanks Dani.

The build was was completed in 1873.

It is 52°F and raining here.

I have just received a hospital appointment for 11-17 about my Basal cell carcinoma.

Graham.

That’s great you will be getting it taken care of soon. 🥂

On 10/30/2021 at 11:18 AM, OnTheJourney said:

So this is the 30th anniversary of the "Perfect storm" in October '91. RIP to the valiant crew of the lost swordboat Andrea Gail. A buoy off the coast of Nova Scotia reported a wave height of 100 feet - the highest ever recorded in that area. 

Thanks to all those in the Air National Guard and the highly trained pararescue jumpers for putting their lives in harm's way both then and probably hundreds of times since. I have a newfound respect for these rescue efforts after what the Norwegian CHC did for me and the other 400+ "Viking Sky Survivors" who were airlifted to safety. Thankfully, everyone survived that voyage. 

Andy, who was going to be Mike’s best man at our wedding was killed when a rouge wave hit the fishing vessel he was on. It was in 1986 or 1987 off the New England coast or maybe as far south as NJ. I don’t really remember. The only person that survived was the lookout guy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/30/2021 at 11:52 AM, Sea Dog said:

WOW! What a day. I am still on cloud 9 from the celebration I had on my last day at work at KMBC-TV. Let me first preface by letting you know something about me. I am a Christmas freak. Christmas is my favorite holiday. I decorate the house to the max with 7 trees and even a animated light show in the yard with a 12 foot animated tree.

Now on to my day. I was first greeted as I came downstairs to a display that my wife Linda set up.

IMG_6260.thumb.jpg.fc0f0e7cfab69b3ad29995b3508ba1b0.jpg

On my way to work It finally hit me this would be the last drive in to work. It was kind of sad in a way.

Once I got into the building I was greeted by a bunch of signs.

1198100282_IMG_61682.jpg.be66080ecd3c92a175ebdc50fd923823.jpg

And then this.

396558930_IMG_05912.thumb.PNG.9bf2b13d06c940b7959c4d013ea2593c.PNG

My coworkers had decorated the whole newsroom in Christmas decorations.

969539519_IMG_61732.jpg.30eb213ce633b70dedc64f6d3a810076.jpg

Complete with custom ornaments of me and my career.

666855658_IMG_61742.jpg.32c45da532a6beab00f04fadeeef6323.jpg

I was greeted by morning co-anchor Cody in cruise attire along with executive producer Cara in my standard photog vest.

IMG_6170.jpg.021bb946073989e5bd610ca13b1c2a32.jpg

I edit all the video that goes into our noon newscast. At the end of the noon show our anchor gave a special shoutout and tribute to me on my retirement. I cried.

Anchor Rob and the noon crew.

IMG_6204.jpg.b10ec2af3fc958836490900205c6a33b.jpg

Morning crew with my closest friend Donna with co anchor Cody and Meteorologist Katie

IMG_6202.jpg.423ea8f7dfbbbe338d409743fafd387a.jpg

That afternoon was the station sendoff.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9a6b.thumb.jpg.3d9968637e31f206bdb5abc2292f6256.jpg

Everyone wore Christmas sweaters or my signature look with a photog vest. Even editor Viola put on a fake mustache to look like me.

IMG_1768.jpg.947c6ac5ecf1bf484165edb4ab337917.jpg

General Manager Sarah and Chief Meteorologist Bryan with their Christmas sweaters.

IMG_5925.jpg.44f7796375c9204db2e14ad452106818.jpg

I gave a farewell speech and then I was presented with some amazing gifts.

IMG_6251.jpg.ad9dfd648c5b779b1a00ceb9c07904cf.jpg

Including a incredible book with pictures of my career and well wishes.

IMG_6259.jpg.1c76f0888e5d0eeea51aca2f43b4e9cb.jpg

And a beautiful inscribed compass to take on my cruise.

IMG_6257.jpg.ea436d522b557b352dc8546d1ed34c9b.jpg

YewCOulaQ1yoRXy4MsFK4w_thumb_9a7b.thumb.jpg.61f27d4371c31867d87b2e8154ba070e.jpg

And the highlight. My edit suite which had my office for over 10 years after we moved into a brand new building now has a plaque.

IMG_6248.jpg.ec65183c0081c91b38dc3908e4264d8c.jpg

An extraordinary day filled with joy, tears and an outpouring of love. I am very fortunate to have worked with some very talented people who are very dedicated to making a difference in our community. Despite what people may say about "the media," we do excellent non biased journalism to help our community be better informed, educated and alerted to things happening at this moment. I addressed the staff with this theme.

"We are a family. We are friends. If you love who you work with, you will love where you work."

My day finished, I left the job that I have done for over 40 years. Linda and my son Jonathan and his girlfriend then had a wonderful dinner at one of KC's finest steakhouses and then hurried home so I could watch the latest episode of "Below Deck."

Next week pack for our cruise and post my first ever semi live thread. Looking forward to taking all of you on my retirement cruise. Thread will drop on Tuesday.

Cheers and thank you to all who have expressed your well wishes. Just like my "work family", I consider all of you my "cruise family."

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9a69.jpg

What a fantastic group to work with as I’m sure you were too. Have the best retirement ever and looking forward to your review.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Today the biopsies came back -- my wife has invasive ductal carcinoma (a fancy term for breast cancer). We will have to cancel the transatlantic cruise we booked for later this month.

Three years ago, I was diagnosed with advanced metastatic melanoma in my neck. We had to cancel a European trip that was supposed to begin the day after my surgery.

I'm so sorry to hear this.  Prayers being sent. 🙏

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

I wish you happier days. Stay positive and stay strong🙏🤞

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Sorry to hear this 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

What a fantastic group to work with as I’m sure you were too. Have the best retirement ever and looking forward to your review.

Working with nice people makes the work day wonderful.I was blessed to have wonderful co-workers in my 43 years of employment.

Why am I on line so late you wonder ,I am watching the World Series and the NY election results.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

3 minutes ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

@Sea DogI am so sorry to hear of your Maggie’s health situation.  This must be so heartbreaking.  

She's a trooper. Cavaliers usually live between 9 and 13 years. She's 13 and a half. She was the runt of the litter and we figured she would pass before her sister Penny. Penny went to doggie heaven in June. I just hope Maggie hangs on till after we get back.

45 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Sorry to hear this. I will keep your family in my thoughts for a positive outcome.

• Like 3

On 10/31/2021 at 8:53 AM, Ocean Boy said:

OMG, this morning there is only one page of posts to catch up on. Did some of you decide ir was FINALLY time to spend a night in bed?☺

I was in bed, but was shopping online 😁 and didn’t have time to read Dani’s thread.

2 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

I’m so sorry to hear this. Wishing her the best. 

• Like 1

Just returned from a great concert Christopher Cross, we had first row seats right in front of where he was playing, at one point his sound shutdown, so he got a seat a couple of feet from the stage and said we should join him in next song without music , then he said if we don’t know the song we shouldn’t be at the concert, song was a great cruising song Sailing. image.jpeg.05ac6e072e90530293076efdc3633d59.jpeg

Edited by George C
  • Like 15

5 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

It’s even worse down here. Ugh!

That’s great you will be getting it taken care of soon. 🥂

Andy, who was going to be Mike’s best man at our wedding was killed when a rouge wave hit the fishing vessel he was on. It was in 1986 or 1987 off the New England coast or maybe as far south as NJ. I don’t really remember. The only person that survived was the lookout guy.

Thank you Renee.

I'm really sorry about Mike's chosen best man tragically dying.

Graham.

5 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Sending you both our prayers.

Graham.

9 hours ago, jagsfan said:

Great view! To be in London but still have all those trees to look out at is a dream location!

It looks like an area for peaceful walks with their son. 

They live five minute walk from a very big park with a lido, tennis courts, cafe, play area, sports fields, ponds etc

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

So sorry you've had such bad news. 

Woke up to 32° this morning, and it is wet from rain or snow overnight.  Now I am wishing we would have become squatters in our cabin from last week.

No early morning walk at the lake this morning.  We have our booster shots scheduled.

Hope everyone has a great day.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Looks great. I usually get started the day after Halloween but because we are leaving on Friday for the cruise I doubt I will have time to get anything up. That means once I return on the 14th it will be a mad dash to get everything up before Thanksgiving. Putting up 5 indoor trees and 4 outside trees is a lot of work. Sometimes I don't know why I am killing myself doing it.

Because Christmas is awesome.

• Like 7