Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 minutes ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

We have a deck 9 on hold with Ken as well.   Was considering deck 6 too due to proximity of schooner.  Been so long since I’ve been on a ship that size.  May need to see what else is available on 6.

Great point re: the tips ☝🏼

Schooners and Playmakers are a short walk  if you get an aft cabin near elevators.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2023 at 4:37 PM, Coralc said:

Cold day at Cocoa Cay today. 70 degrees windy, rough water. Snorkeling canceled with red flags. I feel sorry for the 700 kids onboard that had booked the water park and those that booked beach club. It was not a good beach day. We stayed onboard. 

Patti, I was there on the 13th, and like you, stayed on the ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We haven't used a TA for several years but he may now be my go to guy😃

You might remember Sharon used to take care of everything for us and are cruising friends.   Now we use a TA.  Our TA will be cruising with us in May.  Group rates and OBC is nice.  Also we originally booked a guaranteed balcony for May.  Just a while ago he got it switched to an OVB for a cost difference just alittle over $40.  Now no concern of getting an obstructed view.

• Like 6

On 3/16/2023 at 9:09 AM, h20skibum said:

So as I am nursing a cold, and I am banned from going to my daughter’s house for a couple days so she doesn’t catch it, I am spending my time with this. 

4CC77D9D-5691-49B9-9384-110B82EC71F8.thumb.jpeg.092eebdea380bb8baa445957e041cf4c.jpeg

I am almost halfway through, and the jury is still out on whether I will like it.  I prefer Myron or Win as characters, and this is a standalone book.  

Anyone read this one yet?

I haven’t read this one yet, so will be looking forward to your comments.  Harlan Coben is my ‘go to’ author.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I have never checked.

The main issue is Pauline being a civil servant and getting holiday dates confirmed to far in advance.

We got better flights and hotel and saved over £1000 including pre-paid gratuities by going late January early February plus the weather was a perfect 75°F average daily.

I have tried booking with a US TA I liked the prices being offered and (at the time that price drops were honored).  To get price drops meant you could book when you like and just keep an eye on the booking.  

Anyway it didn’t work.  Using a VPN might get you in contact with a TA but once they knew where we live we could not proceed with the booking.  I wondered if it would actually be fraud to make a booking this way.  

There are different advantages for UK (which includes us) travellers.  I don’t think there is an advantage booking in Spain either.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

I've always used a North American TA and was eligible for group rates, refundable deposits, and, of course, drop in prices. Now I've moved "north" over the border...😉

I think the issues with Europeans are their Customer Protection Laws (travel agent bankruptcy?) and the exchange rates.

And, in G & P case, the conveniency of having a trusted TA close by 😁 

It is interesting to know that you have used Us and Canadian TAs .  We still would not get around the address system I dont think.  I think it is the consumer protection, in a way it is not a bad thing! 

I hope your poor hubby is feeling better - and the cause of his painful back is identified.

Rachel

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Deck 6 is our preferred deck too for the reasons you listed, plus being on the same deck as the boardwalk.  We have done the dreaded deck 7 and only got off the elevator on the wrong side once all week.  Next cruise is on deck 8 as there were no GS left on deck 6 that weren't connecting.

I booked one of those GS on deck 6 (for my sister)and the connecting cabin for me (Group rate) and it was only around $200 more than booking 2 regular connecting OV balcony cabins 4 nights

• Like 5

On 3/18/2023 at 10:31 PM, helen haywood said:

If Andrew’s butter makes it, my mattress is G rated.

It's only butter, now that lighthouse cookie was another thing.  😂

I never went back to see if the butter photos are still there.

On 3/18/2023 at 10:32 PM, brillohead said:

Well gee, if LIGHTHOUSE COOKIES cause trouble, who the heck knows what is fair game around here!  LOL

They were just cookies. 🤷‍♂️😂

• Haha 4

On 3/20/2023 at 8:15 PM, dani negreanu said:

So, instead of .... [like my very first post]

roaming the streets and souks of Marrakech, I'm unpacking our luggage....

Due to DH not feeling well, we had to cancel a few hours before our flight, boarding passes at the ready.

DH started complaining about back pain more than a week ago, happens to the best of families, took some very light pain reliever and hopped for the best.

By Tuesday, though, he made an app. with our family doctor for the following day. So, Wednesday evening he came home, saying that the dr. gave him something for the pain, and assured him that in 2 days time, he'll be good to go. Took the pill, had a good night sleep, and the future seemed pink.

Thursday evening he took a turn to worse, the pain radiating from the back all the way to his upper abdomen. We had a sleepless night, and at 8am were already at our dr. clinic, who, allegedly, had 8am-10am hours, it being Friday, a half day work here.

By 9am (!!) his secretary made an appearance, claiming she hasn't the foggiest idea when the dr. will follow.... IF he will follow.... 

Mind you, after noon on Friday, the only option is ER. In the end, the dr. was MIA. I'll add that he's our entire family dr for the last 25 years, but 4-5 years ago he started to "slack". We keep saying that we'll change him (we're allowed to do that every 3 months, but somehow we felt disloyal to actually do that).

We had my b'day celebration Friday evening, but I really wasn't in the mood... DH managed to put a brave face when we got to the restaurant, and DS1 (who was also celebrating his b'day), playfully offered to touch his father's aching back and take his pain away... and, miraculously, it worked!!!! He kept saying: "I'm pain free, I'm pain free". And the evening turned to be a very joyous one.

The "pain free" lasted well into the Saturday, we packed and decided that what we'll see and do -- it will be OK. The only thing missing will be DH's Nikon camera, which he decided not to schlepp because of his back.

But Saturday night the pain came back in force, to the point of me offering to take him to ER or call an ambulance. He refused, and we had a sleepless night, where it was clear to me that we'll have to cancel. All this time DH continued to take the daily pill, which didn't deliver.

Again, at 8am we were at the clinic, again, nobody showed until 9am, when we gave up and asked the clinic in-charge to find us another dr ASAP.  Luckily, there was a resident in a clinic nearby, who sent us ASAP to the nearest ER. By this time, I cancelled our flights and our riad (hotel) in Marakkech.

Some tests and roentgen pics later, nothing "catastrophic" was found (heart attack and pancreatitis was feared mostly), as the ER dr. phrased it, and I stubbornly asked for something to relieve hubby's pain. In the end, he was given an infusion and sent home with another prescription for his pain.

The big problem is that he's very limited in the range of pain relievers pills, since he has one kidney which took an "early retirement", and the other one reciprocated with a caught early RCC, so he's missing a chunk from the one and only working kidney. The struggle is always between pain and kidney...

The new pain reliever seems to slowly work, he manages to get an hour or two of sleep, and tomorrow -- another batch of BW.

It seems that we're not so lucky with our travels abroad lately. And, living in such a stressful country, we really need the breaks.........

Oh Dani, so so sorry to hear. All my best wishes for your DH to have a speedy and full recovery and that you can plan your birthday trip again soon 🙏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Our only options of direct flights to the East coast are NY, Atlanta and Miami. I don't want to connect through Europe end of January, when the weather is iffy. We always prefer direct flights, even if it means staying in Miami for a couple of days, and then commuting to PC.

Still, I really hope for an opportunity to "connect" with all of you. And I don't forget also JC ( @xpcdoojk) and Dorothy @#55worktoplay 😉

I know you wanted direct flights but does Emirates still fly from TLV to MIA via DXB ? 

Or BA via LHR, maybe build in a stopover in London.

It's been a few years since I worked for Emirates, but as long as its a through ticket and fare they will take responsibility for hotels etc if you mis-conx if it's their fault.  You could also have a mini break in DXB on your way out 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I have tried booking with a US TA I liked the prices being offered and (at the time that price drops were honored).  To get price drops meant you could book when you like and just keep an eye on the booking.  

Anyway it didn’t work.  Using a VPN might get you in contact with a TA but once they knew where we live we could not proceed with the booking.  I wondered if it would actually be fraud to make a booking this way.  

There are different advantages for UK (which includes us) travellers.  I don’t think there is an advantage booking in Spain either.  

We have booked a couple of cruises with a large online US travel agent. Not sure why they can book but others can't. We've never tried to hide that we're not in the USA. 

Having said that most of our cruises have either been with a UK travel agent or RCUK direct.

A couple of disadvantages is there is not the same consumer protection and your final payment will depend on currency fluctuations 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, taznremmy said:

I haven’t read this one yet, so will be looking forward to your comments.  Harlan Coben is my ‘go to’ author.

It was okay, but I still prefer the ones with Myron or Win.  Story line was somewhat predictable.  One thing I noted, was the typeface was hard to read in my copy from the library.  I know publishers have been using different fonts that use less ink.  For some reason, after reading a while, my eyes would get blurry.  I thought it was just me, but Susan read the book after I finished, and she had the same problem.  

My next read, that I just got from the library, is this one. 

65E31A5A-2FF4-4989-B20D-B05CB4618980.thumb.jpeg.dbc9595535204072bee011ef64631f00.jpeg

13 hours ago, taznremmy said:

😹😹Speak for yourself!😹😹. FOB was epic!

I guess I am misunderstanding your comment, or maybe you meant to quote someone else.  My post was

“Have a great cruise.  We like Summit. 

Post some photos if you get a chance. Heck, post some videos, or live stream the cruise so we can feel like we are there.  We are, after all, the unfortunate souls who have been left behind from the FOB cruise and now this one.”

Anyhow, I would have made that cruise if things were different for us.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, molly361 said:

Next thing you know those deck 8 folks will be coming down to 6😇

We will be deck 6 dwellers on Symphony in December.  Since we don’t do elevators, it is easier to get the bags down for a walkoff. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, h20skibum said:

We will be deck 6 dwellers on Symphony in December.  Since we don’t do elevators, it is easier to get the bags down for a walkoff. 

I always thought it would be nice to try a CLS but I really don't know if I would like being on deck 17    It's WAY far away from all the places that I frequent

• Like 3

On 3/19/2023 at 4:13 AM, aussielozzie18 said:

On the Edge: Species at Risk art exhibit at the Royal Botanical Gardens Sydney.  Viewed this free exhibition today @jagsfan thought you might like these photos of some of the bird art exhibited & for sale.6E70472F-F9B8-445C-8FEB-61BAC74A2277.thumb.jpeg.7d03d5cbaf06cbe250de493fbb326d75.jpeg

427B4CC4-D5CE-4862-B226-4D63B5DBB4E7.thumb.jpeg.cdaf62ca58f1d5ffeecc0073998521e0.jpeg

B6EAC4D5-86F2-45E9-9D13-F24EAC519FB2.thumb.jpeg.4f951e3780323d1de6b24aa1459c8df6.jpeg

7C16C953-9B65-4109-8A72-95B16B92EFBE.thumb.jpeg.c7963637bb7cfa8ef01bd31bfefc3767.jpeg

945F0F12-433B-4014-A599-7EADC5177AF6.thumb.jpeg.47d2b8607c048310ec315717612f1161.jpeg

By Pamela Pauline (above)

Goudian Finches by Janet Matthews (below)

27376DA5-CD1D-480F-AF18-BE1809435CC3.thumb.jpeg.c70e8a204a90c47f54984d71c6caeb66.jpeg

C4C23E7A-24A2-4926-B865-14A8E726C5C9.thumb.jpeg.1709ab90f67865e6ee9abcd187570dcf.jpeg

FCA1582B-07C7-4526-A9E0-E6CD39267B07.thumb.jpeg.4ed68bf0124545ef5d74b2a8bd9be90e.jpeg

Mosaic of Palm Cockatoo by Kelly Mackey

Your birds and flowers are incredible. 

I remember thinking when I was there that Australia must have really been the Garden of Eden. 

• Like 3