Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

11 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Yea my oceanfront is built during the hey days of NASA. 1961. First year I bought they assured us HOA fully funded by then the elevator didnt pass. And I got a assessment for $3500 to fix the elevator. 

Now they want to paint the exterior, in 3 stages. 1 stage a year and HOPE the increase will cover painting.

Imo condo prices are soft all over florida. I can even buy pretty reasonable downtown miami. I had a alert at that port too but HOAs there are mostly over $1000. I draw the line at $1000 a month, though with my luck going to be there on one or the other the way insurance and wages for gardeners and stuff going. It is crazy, but I'm still moving there. I've had enough of texas. It's not my home state lol. 

If never dealt with HOAs before. How are property taxes handled on a condo property? Is the property assessed and then split according to the square footage of each unit?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yup, my mirror does a bunch of stuff too (except it doesn't disappear as you are sliding down a big hill into a mailbox).    James Bond probably has one of them. 

James Bond would have little flame throwers built into the mirrors to fire down & melt the snow/ice to stop the slide.

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

You beat us.  We had 9.5 to 10 inches come down in 5 to 5.5 hrs.   

Did you start with freezing rain/sleet like us?   We had that for about 1/2 hr before change to snow.   

It started here around 3 am, I think. When I went to the bathroom at 2:30 it hadn't  started yet but my weather app said it was close by. Pretty sure it started as all snow, there was no trace of ice or crunchy snow underneath.

About 12-13 inches over 8-9 hours although at one point we had near white-out conditions.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

If never dealt with HOAs before. How are property taxes handled on a condo property? Is the property assessed and then split according to the square footage of each unit?

We only have one and two bedroom condos in my community.  We pay more in our HOA for our two bedroom than those with a one bedroom.    As far as our property taxes, Jim and I are not Homesteaded, so our taxes are more than our good friends who are Homesteaded with their two bedroom.

2 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

We only have one and two bedroom condos in my community.  We pay more in our HOA for our two bedroom than those with a one bedroom.    As far as our property taxes, Jim and I are not Homesteaded, so our taxes are more than our good friends who are Homesteaded with their two bedroom.

So each unit is assessed individually by the city?

1 minute ago, Luckynana said:

@Ocean Boy  I believe you're right.  Taxes are divided equally among Units of the same size.  Florida Residents gets some kind of a discount, which makes their taxes less than ours.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

This is the same GS with diabetes?

No.  This is our youngest grandson William, who will be 13 in April.

Ryan has the Diabetes.  He is just now getting over the Flu.  He was on the Wrestling Team and had a great time this Season, which ended last weekend.  Thank you asking, OB.  He's really doing great with TD1!

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Luckynana said:

No.  This is our youngest grandson William, who will be 13 in April.

Ryan has the Diabetes.  He is just now getting over the Flu.  He was on the Wrestling Team and had a great time this Season, which ended last weekend.  Thank you asking, OB.  He's really doing great with TD1!

I knew he would do fine!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

As far as I know somehow they come up with a assessment for each unit, lol even though each has the same sf and floor plan, maybe based on whatever you paid. And then to rent out even one unit I pay each year for a Florida business license I think is stupid but pay. Also I cant even get any deductions but maybe if I move there on the rented one. Cant claim over age 65 deduction if I dont live in florida. So paying high taxes imo. Taxes go up about $300 a year, but property prices arent rising so idk why. I'm sure some posting here know more than I do, but I'm just holding the oceanfront for now. 

It's not a good time imo to buy just to rent out. It was a good time when I bought but not now. That bldg collapse really hit condos. I saw a agent on CNBC saying high end miami really hit bad eight now. Not selling. There are deals right now imo. But prices could fall further. I just want to move now. 

I was a house flipper 50 years ago, not my first. And I have alerts set and watch listings. Both my condos are safe buys imo but I wouldnt buy now unless I had a good reason..prices are still falling. Florida isnt a deal, insurance crazy high for another thing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

To reiterate or iterate in my;opinion they should be paid higher sums than athletes but that will never be.

It's a nice sentiment but I don't think the math works in your favor.  How many pro athlete are we talking about? A few hundred, maybe a couple of thousands across the NFL / NBA / MLB / NHL, plus a few tennis players and golfers?

Compared to the many millions of teachers, police, firefighters, nurses, doctors? That's a lot of money.  Heck, I'm pretty sure they guy that spent the last 18 hours plowing my roads while I slept comfortably probably  should get Micheal Jordan money too, otherwise we'd all be home bound for the next week or two.

FYI, I live in a community that has a volunteer fire department.  That's take some dedication to risk your life for free. That's the kind of person I want serving my community.

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

@Ocean Boy  I believe you're right.  Taxes are divided equally among Units of the same size.  Florida Residents gets some kind of a discount, which makes their taxes less than ours.

I get a separate tax bill for my florida condo. Not the same as my neighbors. Agree makes a difference if you are a florida resident, but all taxes arent the same for all same sized units. Mine was based off what I paid and up from there. Comes in nov, due in nov. To me that's nuts. Dallas I get 4 months before due, not sent the same month as due. Dallas comes before florida but not due until january. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Icy path + ankle =. an early morning trip to hospital (once someone could be flagged down to help)at 6.30am and a teary call to parents in Australia in the early hours of the morning.  The winter season has ended prematurely for one of my “kids”.   Op in a few days time.

Greg, all the best for your op. Trust it all goes smoothly and you have a good recovery.

I'm sorry to hear this. Hope the surgery is uneventful & they recover quickly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Sorry to hear that about your child, aussie!  Will they be operated while in Canada?

My youngest grandson broke his wrist last weekend while snowboarding.  Luckily it was a clean break.  He did great snowboarding for the first time all morning, before falling on his wrist just before heading to lunch.

Many years ago, I broke one of the bones in my wrist while skiing. My right arm was in a cast for 3 months.  First month was a full cast, knuckles to shoulder and then got progressive shorter each month. Fortunately, it was at the end of winter, early spring actually,  & was going to be my last time skiing for the season anyways.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

im trying to convince DW to go back to condo life but she still wants a house with a yard. 

I've lived in houses my entire life but have been thinking a lot of downsizing to a condo.  My issue is that while I'm sure I come across as a tremendously  delightful social butterfly here on CC (sarcasm), I actually value my peace and quiet above all. So pretty sure I don't want to share a wall with anyone, much less 2 walls. Or see people when sitting on my balcony, all bleary-eyed sipping coffee while in my PJ's.

Hows' that for a pretty picture?

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 4
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Icy path + ankle =. an early morning trip to hospital (once someone could be flagged down to help)at 6.30am and a teary call to parents in Australia in the early hours of the morning.  The winter season has ended prematurely for one of my “kids”.   Op in a few days time.

Greg, all the best for your op. Trust it all goes smoothly and you have a good recovery.

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Sorry to hear that about your child, aussie!  Will they be operated while in Canada?

My youngest grandson broke his wrist last weekend while snowboarding.  Luckily it was a clean break.  He did great snowboarding for the first time all morning, before falling on his wrist just before heading to lunch.

Hope both will be better soon.

My son fell snowboarding while in high school.  He complained to us how bad his hand hurt but nothing seemed broken.  It was our last day in Vermont so he rode home complaining the whole time.  After a few days of hearing him complain took him to the Dr, they took x-rays and yep one of the bones in the back of his hand was broken, Dr called it a fighters break, common when knuckles hit something.  We felt bad and still hear about from time to time.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

It's a nice sentiment but I don't think the math works in your favor.  How many pro athlete are we talking about? A few hundred, maybe a couple of thousands across the NFL / NBA / MLB / NHL, plus a few tennis players and golfers?

Compared to the many millions of teachers, police, firefighters, nurses, doctors? That's a lot of money.  Heck, I'm pretty sure they guy that spent the last 18 hours plowing my roads while I slept comfortably probably  should get Micheal Jordan money too, otherwise we'd all be home bound for the next week or two.

FYI, I live in a community that has a volunteer fire department.  That's take some dedication to risk your life for free. That's the kind of person I want serving my community.

Several of my cousins are volunteer firefighters. They do for the last love of their community 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Several of my cousins are volunteer firefighters. They do for the last love of their community 

100% agree. My father-in-law and brother-in-law were both volunteer firefighters.  Not at the same time & different fire depts. 

Decades after my FIL retired, active members would randomly check in on him during bad storms, power outages, etc.  Guys that probably weren't even alive when he was serving would top off his generator with gas without be asked or paid. It's a close-knit community and my admiration for them run deep.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

A owner in a co op will pay a portion of the taxes of the entire property based on the square footage of their unit. They are not very common in Florida.

A condo owner pays taxes on their individual unit based on the assessed value of their individual unit.

Edited by Vibe
Add more information
  • Thanks 2