Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jmh2006 said:

I think you are confused.  Maryann doesn't live in Leland, she lives in NJ.  I am the one moving to Leland in a few years.  And for what it is worth, Wilmington is a very nice city.

Agreed about Wilmingtin, great little city, need to get back its been a while.

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The adventure begins.

Sarah and I are sitting at the airport waiting for our flight to Vancouver where we will board the Explora Journey tomorrow for a 6 day cruise to Los Angeles.  This will be our first time sailing a cruise line other than Royal and this will be the complete opposite of what we are used to.

The Explora Journey is 64,000 Tonnes. 900 passengers and 700 crew, all suites, everything included.  This is MSC's new high end line that for an easy comparison would be like Silversea is to Royal.

We only have two stops, Astoria and San Francisco.  Astoria we will just wander around and have lunch in town at a local fish and chip shop.  In San Francisco we are docked from 9am to 11pm so I have Go Cars booked for 8 hours for us to see some sights and then an evening behind the scenes tour of Alcatraz.

I'll post pictures and updates along the way.

The only concern right now is that yesterday, Westjet issued a 72 hour lockout notice to the mechanics union so that could impact our flight home.

The other thing I was not prepared for was the dress code on board.  Resort casual for the day and resort elegant for the evening.  A quick shopping trip and visit to the dry cleaners was required this week.  So much for travelling with a carry on only.

Tonight's hotel in Vancouver is done on the cheap with us staying at the Days inn by the Airport however an unexpected bonus is Vancouvers summer food festival is open and across the street so that will be dinner tonight.

Bon Voyage, looking forward to hearing about your trip.  When we did Alcatraz we started in daylight but left after dark.  Neat to see it then, even creepier.

Edited by akcruz
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sgmn said:

My take on a couple of topics this last 24 hours.

Thousands of houses being built in our (fairly rural) area and several large apartments blocks going up in our nearest town.  In our road last year the year 7 intake (moving from primary to senior school) couldn't get into our nearest walkable school and were sent to ones miles away.

We use to go to the cinema every 10 days or so pre covid, now we hardly go at all.  Not sure why, streaming services on TV perhaps, cost ? 🤔 

Pretty awful about the kids having to be bussed (or however they travel) to a faraway school, when the school nearest to them no longer has room for the local kids.😔  my grandsons still have some years to finish intermediate as well as high school to finish here before College.  I truly hope for their sake that it won't get so crowded here that it will interfere with their learning.  Luckily they are pretty bright kids, but still...right now, the schools here are having funding taken from them, with the Arts being the biggest cuts of all.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

That looks like a perfect lunch (hold the pickles).  I love Grouper!  If it's on the menu, in any form, it's usually my choice.  Sounds like you're having a great trip.

I'm with you on the Grouper, Bob!  Delicious!

@Sea Dog Love all of your pictures of a happy time with good friends!

@Jimbo  Great pictures, Jim!😉

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Day 4 Hilton Head Shenanigans 

IMG_4407.thumb.jpeg.588abc7aa9743f0a755b6bd7b531b646.jpeg

Visited Harbor Town with its wonder shops.

IMG_4405.thumb.jpeg.74eb3543259c8c9446bd0a210ebb5476.jpeg

IMG_4410.thumb.jpeg.01facddeb9773ddea127506e883964ba.jpeg

My yacht is here.

IMG_5044.thumb.jpeg.ea443452d7ac8aeec0146b0bc8dd8d29.jpeg

Later Dave arranged for us to take a afternoon cruise on a double decker catamaran.

IMG_4417.thumb.jpeg.c4f6d98851171c58b0f9bbde75219186.jpeg

Saw a lot of dolphins but did not get any good pictures of them. Very enjoyable cruise.

IMG_4424.thumb.jpeg.328f835d00152f344c57daa6877dae54.jpeg

Dinner at Captain Woody’s who is owned by a University of Kentucky alum who has a big get together of UK people to watch the Kentucky Derby. The place was packed.

IMG_4433.thumb.jpeg.258f42dc0cdc068524308fee28e4cf59.jpeg

The highlight that this restaurant is known for is their “Grouper Melt.” This was the best sandwich I have ever eaten in my life. Everyone who got it raved about it. It had grouper, grilled onions, mushrooms and cheese. If you ever come down to Hilton Head you must try this sandwich. 10 out 10 stars.

You made me hungry for grouper Greg.  Had to go to a local beach restaurant for a grouper sandwich lunch.  It was very tasty, but would have been better with the onions, mushrooms, and cheese.  I may need to try that at home.

IMG_1269.thumb.jpg.c0bb831525cb7d50eb2098f3f82aa6bf.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

They met at a diner that I never heard of:The Z Diner on Richmond Ave.I have been to places on Richmond Ave as recently as 2019 .

I've never been to the Z Diner, but have eaten at the Z 2 Diner in Tottenville.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akcruz said:

Agreed about Wilmingtin, great little city, need to get back its been a while.

Bon Voyage, looking forward to hearing about your trip.  When we did Alcatraz we started in daylight but left after dark.  Neat to see it then, even creepier.

We loved Alcatraz.  I bought a book about Alcatraz, and the author who was a former prisoner there, signed the book for me.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

I've never been to the Z Diner, but have eaten at the Z 2 Diner in Tottenville.  

When we lived in Brooklyn we had a group of friends that we went to dinner with at least once a month.In 1990 people began to leave Brooklyn,most to NJ.We then began meeting in SI at a diner that we all liked .I cannot recall the name .A few years ago those that were physically able began going to lunch back in Brooklyn but in Bay Ridge and not Canarsie where we all lived.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My granddaughter just ate her first meal in Poland .She ate Pierogi.

Love Pierogi with sour cream and onions.  Yummm!

• Like 3

Our Twin daughters are celebrating their birthdays today!  Melanie is driving home from packing up most of our granddaughter's college dorm possessions at URI.  Judy requested tacos for dinner, perhaps since today is Cinco de Mayo.😊

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Luckynana said:

Our Twin daughters are celebrating their birthdays today!  Melanie is driving home from packing up most of our granddaughter's college dorm possessions at URI.  Judy requested tacos for dinner, perhaps since today is Cinco de Mayo.😊

Happy birthday to your daughters .

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I'll do pictures, I just can't attest to how good they will be from this old phone. 

Bon Voyage! Excited to hear all about this cruise.

43 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

You made me hungry for grouper Greg.  Had to go to a local beach restaurant for a grouper sandwich lunch.  It was very tasty, but would have been better with the onions, mushrooms, and cheese.  I may need to try that at home.

IMG_1269.thumb.jpg.c0bb831525cb7d50eb2098f3f82aa6bf.jpg

Looks wonderful!

• Like 2

Good thing that we didn’t bet on the Kentucky Derby.

Sierra Leone and Fierceness were favored and there was much talk about them on the pre race show. Hardly a mention of Mystik Dan.

None of the horses we chose made a great showing. Just a Touch finished last. 
Well, there is the Preakness next. And, maybe the Yankees will win today.

On another note, we were at a friends’ house last night for the Derby and dinner. One of the couples just returned from a cruise on the Anthem. While onboard,they booked another cruise for next May on Liberty of the Seas.

I have not read much about that ship on CC. Has anyone sailed on that ship ? We are think8ng of joining them along with some other friends. The itinerary looks good- Bermuda and Puerto Rico are a few of the ports,plus it is a nine day cruise.

Any info would be appreciated.

MJ👩🏻

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

How does your GD like URI?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here are a few pictures from the River Walk in Wilmington,NC

Walk way is 1.75 miles long.............we walked about a half mile up to across from the Battle Ship and another half mile back to our car. It was getting warm and  very humid.

Cape Fear Memorial Bridge

20240504_115638.jpg

One of the many restaurants  along the walk.

20240504_115837.jpg

My Yacht called Happy Hour pulled up for us. 

20240504_115928.jpg

20240504_120034.jpg

Tour boat.

20240504_120153.jpg

The Battle Ship North Carolina across the  Cape Fear River.

20240504_120547.jpg

20240504_120935.jpg

One of the many shops along the walk way.

20240504_122636.jpg

20240504_120948.jpg

20240504_123615.jpg

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

Good thing that we didn’t bet on the Kentucky Derby.

Sierra Leone and Fierceness were favored and there was much talk about them on the pre race show. Hardly a mention of Mystik Dan.

None of the horses we chose made a great showing. Just a Touch finished last. 
Well, there is the Preakness next. And, maybe the Yankees will win today.

On another note, we were at a friends’ house last night for the Derby and dinner. One of the couples just returned from a cruise on the Anthem. While onboard,they booked another cruise for next May on Liberty of the Seas.

I have not read much about that ship on CC. Has anyone sailed on that ship ? We are think8ng of joining them along with some other friends. The itinerary looks good- Bermuda and Puerto Rico are a few of the ports,plus it is a nine day cruise.

MJ👩🏻

I've been of F class ships multiple times but never been on Liberty.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

How does your GD like URI?

She loves it there!  Her last Final is this coming Tuesday, then she'll head home for the Summer.  First year done.😉

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Happy birthday to your daughters .

Thank you, Lenny!

21 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon Maryann @Luckynana.

Happy birthday to your dear twin daughter's.

happy-birthday-melanie-4.gif

bbee80cfa371192a1a689b866c70fb6d.gif

Thank you so much, Graham!  You always send the best of good wishes!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

MJ👩🏻

Jim and I sailed on Liberty last year in an Aft Jr. Suite on deck 7.  We enjoyed the ship.  All good.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1