Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

15 minutes ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

Is it possible with the combination of snow and ice, melting and refreezing, that an ice damn built up under the snow on the driveway and redirected the water running down the stairs back towards the garage doors instead of down the driveway as usual during warmer weather?

That is exactly what we wonder.  When we found the water, I opened the garage door to see if there was running water but at that point, we had turned to sleet/ice and nothing was actively draining from the hill.  The snow/sleet near the garage wasn't wet/water filled  looking like the snow on the other side of the downspout so hard to tell what happened.

Either way, we need to do something at the garage door as the driveway should not be higher than the cement garage floor.  I have to go back through all the pictures to see if it has actually gotten higher because of frost heave.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Coralc said:

Here is Bobby, with his big white mittens. Bill built him stairs to get up on his perch. We will be sad. And there actually used to be Christmas wrapping paper on the end of that roll. 

Bobby Mittens.JPG

11 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Beautiful cat. Love the mittens.

11 hours ago, taznremmy said:

Such a sweet looking boy.  I know this is a hard time.  Been there, done that.  Just give him love, which I know you are doing.

5 hours ago, Keksie said:

I love those paws.  

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Patti I love those mittens. What a beautiful kitty. Hang in there.

4 hours ago, derorim said:

Love his Bobby Socks!  He looks like a real sweetie.  I can almost hear him purring. 🙂 

Bobby is beautiful, Patti!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

We binge watched the REACHER series on Prime yesterday and this morning.  I liked it, 

On my watchlist. I hate having to wait so long in between seasons. Easy to forget what's going on.

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

More MIL drama. 

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. Sounds hopeless that she will ever learn or get better. Hang in there.

35 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

The Dubai authorities don't like the security measures taken in all the Israeli airplanes, and decided to stop the flights between Israel and Dubai on Tuesday, one day before our flight...

I'm too old for this.

Fingers crossed everything will work out. I know this must be very frustrating for you. My thoughts are with you.

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Thank you very much,H.I sincerely appreciate your words.

I'm late to all this and don't even know what happened or who was giving you problems. That's unfortunate and should not happen here. Please stay I enjoy conversing with you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Lenny

Please stay and continue to post.

I really enjoy when you share any and all information.  In fact I look forward to your post more than me doing any kind of post.

I used to get frustrated with some CC threader posters that always knew everything and seemed to attack me with snarky comments.

Then I came to this thread.

Where I found normal kind and caring cruisers.

We have a special bond here, and also on Bellas thread.

We are family, and yes we may have a disagreement from time to time, but we do make up.

I can only hope you continue to share your vast knowledge as well as life moments.

Take care

With kind personal regards.

Lionesss

"Sue"

Thank you so very much “Sue”

• Like 1

@reallyitsmema

You are getting some really excellent advice. I'm far from being any kind of handy-man but your problem is similar to my next door neighbor.  We both live slightly downhill from the street so water flows down the driveway and off to the right into the yard. Our houses were built in 1964, I moved in 1993 and the neighbor in 1994 and flooding was never a problem.

About 10 years ago, he had the old driveway ripped up and a new on installed. Had the exact same problem, the driveway/garage lip was to high and water flowed right into the garage. The contractor comes back and installs a curtain drain along the garage entrance to divert the water to the right & into the yard. Stopped the flooding into the garage and sounds like it might be a solution for you but wait, there more! In the process, the foundation was cracked and now water leaking into the utility room next to the garage. Solution: install a French Drain along the entire front of the house. But that led to another crack in the foundation which caused water to seep into one of the lower level bedrooms. 

After almost 2 years, he finally got the house properly sealed and finally no more leaks. And a lot of complementary work by the  contractor.

I guess step one: find out where the water is entering. If its running the length of the interior wall, could it be the driveway installation caused a crack somewhere, maybe along the stone wall, to allow water to enter where it never entered before?

Good luck, it seems like you might have some trial-and-error before hitting on the correct fix.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Ooops- woke up a tish early (2:30) for our 5:15 Uber to the airport!

Bon Voyage!!  Are you onboard yet?  Have a great time!

3 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

We got close to almost 1 1/2 inches of rain Thursday night that changed to sleet and snow and back and forth.  Unfortunately, the rain flooded into our garage and then into our family room thanks to the new driveway being too high near the garage and not draining down the hill.  We spent three hours with the wet vac trying and towels trying to get up all the water.  ...❄️❄️

What a horror!  I am so sorry for what you are going through, after all of the work and expense that you went through in order to improve your driveway and garage conditions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Checked my C&A account today. Points for last weeks cruise have been posted. The double point promit6ion is pretty sweet. I'm not sure why I really care though. My chances of getting to Pinnacle are next to non-existent.

Maybe you need to book a world cruise.😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

On my watchlist. I hate having to wait so long in between seasons. Easy to forget what's going on.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. Sounds hopeless that she will ever learn or get better. Hang in there.

Fingers crossed everything will work out. I know this must be very frustrating for you. My thoughts are with you.

I'm late to all this and don't even know what happened or who was giving you problems. That's unfortunate and should not happen here. Please stay I enjoy conversing with you.

I enjoy conversing with you as well,Greg.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

@reallyitsmema

You are getting some really excellent advice. I'm far from being any kind of handy-man but your problem is similar to my next door neighbor.  We both live slightly downhill from the street so water flows down the driveway and off to the right into the yard. Our houses were built in 1964, I moved in 1993 and the neighbor in 1994 and flooding was never a problem.

About 10 years ago, he had the old driveway ripped up and a new on installed. Had the exact same problem, the driveway/garage lip was to high and water flowed right into the garage. The contractor comes back and installs a curtain drain along the garage entrance to divert the water to the right & into the yard. Stopped the flooding into the garage and sounds like it might be a solution for you but wait, there more! In the process, the foundation was cracked and now water leaking into the utility room next to the garage. Solution: install a French Drain along the entire front of the house. But that led to another crack in the foundation which caused water to seep into one of the lower level bedrooms. 

After almost 2 years, he finally got the house properly sealed and finally no more leaks. And a lot of complementary work by the  contractor.

I guess step one: find out where the water is entering. If its running the length of the interior wall, could it be the driveway installation caused a crack somewhere, maybe along the stone wall, to allow water to enter where it never entered before?

Good luck, it seems like you might have some trial-and-error before hitting on the correct fix.

Thanks for typing this before I did. It saved me a lot of time, and is basically what I was thinking. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Can't do without some drama and palpitations... I was worried about passing the PCR test tomorrow, but now another, bigger worry, just "landed".

The Dubai authorities don't like the security measures taken in all the Israeli airplanes, and decided to stop the flights between Israel and Dubai on Tuesday, one day before our flight...

I'm too old for this.

Yikes!!!!

What are you going to do? Any plan B on airlines?

El Al has the BEST security!!!!!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

That is exactly what we wonder.  When we found the water, I opened the garage door to see if there was running water but at that point, we had turned to sleet/ice and nothing was actively draining from the hill.  The snow/sleet near the garage wasn't wet/water filled  looking like the snow on the other side of the downspout so hard to tell what happened.

Either way, we need to do something at the garage door as the driveway should not be higher than the cement garage floor.  I have to go back through all the pictures to see if it has actually gotten higher because of frost heave.

Once the snow melts and it dries out, you can run the hose at the stairs and various points at that part of the driveway and see which way the water flows.  That might help to see if there is a grading problem.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Thanks for typing this before I did. It saved me a lot of time, and is basically what I was thinking. 

I was afraid that CC was going to malfunction and my entire post would go *poof* when I clicked the Submit Reply button, never to be seen again. lol.

So I copied it into a Word doc first. 🙂

I had my driveway done the following year, used a different contractor who installed it correctly, with the proper grade & drainage flow. Easy-peasy. I actually thought the garage lip to too high but after hearing my neighbor horror  stories, I was not going to 2nd guess my contractor.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

This happened to me with Billions.  We were going to watch the last episode from the last season to refresh our memories.  The description of the last episode did not at all sound familiar, and neither did the episodes before that.  I'm now wondering if maybe we didn't yet watch the last season??  I'm probably just getting older.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I was afraid that CC was going to malfunction and my entire post would go *poof* when I clicked the Submit Reply button, never to be seen again. lol.

So I copied it into a Word doc first. 🙂

I had my driveway done the following year, used a different contractor who installed it correctly, with the proper grade & drainage flow. Easy-peasy. I actually thought the garage lip to too high but after hearing my neighbor horror  stories, I was not going to 2nd guess my contractor.

Usually you want to have about an inch lip between the driveway and garage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Thank you very much,Arzeena.I took your advice.In all the years I have posted on CC and other Internet message boards I never put anyone on an Ignore list.

This was the first and hopefully the last time.

Lenny, I had no idea there was one or two on this thread that judge you. Screw them. We all at times ramble on about nothing or other things that may not interest the entire community. Those people need to move on. Ignore their comments but speaking only for myself, I wouldn't put them on ignore. I want to know what everyone is saying especially about me and their  rude comments. Just remember the reason why Dani started this thread. ✌️☮️

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

Or become the ships doctor on the world cruise. 

But he won’t get the points as crew.

I have an idea, he takes on the DR position and Mrs OceanBoy gets free passage with all guests perks including points. Then OB gets to become Pinnacle by marriage. Problem solved.

Winning Mega Lotto is a better idea though. 

• Haha 6

26 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I'm jumping in on Greg's Post here;

Debbie, I have no words.  As Greg says, hang in there.

Dani, I surely hope your trip works out for you!

I also apparently missed something here also.  Lenny, we love you and your many posts!

Maryann

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Can't do without some drama and palpitations... I was worried about passing the PCR test tomorrow, but now another, bigger worry, just "landed".

I'm too old for this.

I thought EL AL was known for its excellent security measures?🤔

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

But he won’t get the points as crew.

I have an idea, he takes on the DR position and Mrs OceanBoy gets free passage with all guests perks including points. Then OB gets to become Pinnacle by marriage. Problem solved.

Winning Mega Lotto is a better idea though. 

Hmmm, are the free guests of staff/crew eligible for points?

Edited by LucasLikesToCruise

Wow, I’ve missed a lot in a day or so.  Will try to touch base with everything here but not do I have a story to share myself!

@Sea Dog sorry you’re in so much pain without your anti inflammatory meds!  Hang in there - the finish line is in sight and it’ll be worth it. 
@reallyitsmemasorry to hear of the water/driveway issues after you waited so long to get it done. 
@dani negreanui truly hope last minute issues don’t ruin your trip!

@lenquixote66stay here with us Lenny.  Everyone has something to contribute on this thread and we’re not all going to agree all the time, but that’s okay in my book.  
We watched the first episode of Reacher last night.  Definitely an improvement over Tom Cruise in the lead time but IMO this actor is too young and too pretty.  If I could choose someone to play Jack Reacher it would be Liev Schreiber of Ray Donovan fame.  Big, menacing and no nonsense.   
So our plan was to check out of the Ft Lauderdale air bnb today & move to Margaritaville Resort on Hollywood Beach.  Around 3:45 am this morning I was awakened my loud arguing in the unit below us.  We were in what I’d call the guest house on a property in a very nice area.  The arguing quickly escalated to screaming, glass breaking and I’m pretty sure furniture was being tossed around.  The building was shaking.  This went on for about 30 minutes before one of them left and drove away.  Thank God we had packed most of our stuff last night. We quickly dressed, cleaned up as expected (used linens in hamper, trash emptied, etc) and got the hell out of there around 4:30 am.  We just drove around, down to a deserted Miami Beach.  Thought we might catch sunrise somewhere but we were too rattled to park & walk to a beach.  We finally found an open Starbucks, got coffee and sat in a marina parking lot.  At 8 am we pulled into Margaritaville figuring we could at least park and maybe sit by the pool.  At check in, I apologized for us being so early and gave a brief explanation.  The wonderful young woman immediately upgraded us to an ocean view suite (from our king balcony) and the room was ready right away.  Just amazing service and so appreciated.  This is our home for the next 4 nights and I ain’t complaining!

F1231729-C157-42C7-902E-E36ADFE20132.jpeg

65EB0939-E0F6-4A6B-A308-FE8B8C8CC33F.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1