Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

If you don’t mind me asking, but why wouldn’t you have knee surgery especially since it’s affecting your hip? That’s got to be a double whammy in pain.

Don't get me started..... *sigh*

I was "too young" to get a knee replacement because "they only last twenty years".  So what?  I could just get it done again in twenty years, when the procedure and implant have both been greatly improved from what we had at the time!

And they wanted me to lose weight first.... well, how do you lose weight when you can't walk without pain????  Such a bunch of baloney!!!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Don't get me started..... *sigh*

I was "too young" to get a knee replacement because "they only last twenty years".  So what?  I could just get it done again in twenty years, when the procedure and implant have both been greatly improved from what we had at the time!

And they wanted me to lose weight first.... well, how do you lose weight when you can't walk without pain????  Such a bunch of baloney!!!

Sorry to hear you are in so much pain. Losing weight is such a struggle.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, derorim said:

Marcel enjoying a good ear rub.

20240428_163326_Original.thumb.jpeg.1f135fd247b0a1275a040b1f51a060a2.jpeg

Marcel is definitely loving that. We have a cat that loves to have the insides of her ears rubbed. I’ve never had a cat that liked that so I thought maybe she had ear mites. Nope, she just likes her ears rubbed. In fact, she will start to drool when Mike gets a little inside her ear. Eew!

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Marcel is definitely loving that. We have a cat that loves to have the insides of her ears rubbed. I’ve never had a cat that liked that so I thought maybe she had ear mites. Nope, she just likes her ears rubbed. In fact, she will start to drool when Mike gets a little inside her ear. Eew!

Marcel is quite the drooler, then he’ll shake his head and get it all over you. His ears get a lot of gunk in them, so that’s probably why rubbing his ears feels good to him. Andy cradles him like a baby and I wipe the gunk out of his ears. He seems grateful when it’s done.

20231204_074939_Original.thumb.jpeg.17f8b4a2f15901972b6bae12da421dc4.jpeg.

• Like 15

15 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I was told they don't use a general anaesthetic now rather a numbing injection near the hip which eased my worries of having to stop my heart medication pre-op when I decide I need to get it done.

High dose Ibuprofen or naproxen helps arthritis a lot if you can take antiinflammatory tablets.

A regular on P&O forums in his mid 70s had hip replacement surgery done recently and said he is walking several miles a day now and was walking up stairs the day after the op.

I don't know where you heard that or what your health service is like. But I seriously doubt if that is the case with a hip replacement Graham. Based on the number of contortions and procedures involved in the surgery, general anesthesia is definitely required. Most people would faint dead away if they were allowed to be awake during the procedure. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Coralc said:

I don't know where you heard that or what your health service is like. But I seriously doubt if that is the case with a hip replacement Graham. Based on the number of contortions and procedures involved in the surgery, general anesthesia is definitely required. Most people would faint dead away if they were allowed to be awake during the procedure. 

I was personally told this at the hospital musculoskeletal department last April 2023 when they suggested hip replacement for me.

I was awake and watched the TV screen while having a colonoscopy 15 years ago.

I watched the TV screen while having a cardiac stent put into my circumflex artery during an angioplasty op following my heart attack in December 2019.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 4/27/2024 at 11:13 PM, firefly333 said:

The drive over all those bridges from one key to another is a fabulous drive. Takes a whole day from miami when I've done it. Slow drivers also enjoying the drive.

Key west has roosters and bars, no real beach. Just nothing special by itself though at sunset everyone goes to Mallory square ro clap for the sunset. Dont see that either on a cruise ship. 

When we first got married and Gary was building flying hours, the cheapest way was to fly within Florida. We spent a couple of weeks flying up and down and across the state, including along the keys.  We got buzzed by two fighter jets, think out of Homestead.  Lots of stories from that trip 

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is partly sunny and 46°F here at 09.16am.

I hope everyone is safe and well and y'all had a great weekend and looking forward to a nice day today.

Good morning! However, I work overnights, so 2 more hours of work and I get to go home and go to bed. I guess it's like night time for me instead of morning. 😁

05:00am here, sunny and 86 here today.

Edited by rrraydon
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

I hope everyone is safe and well and y'all had a great weekend and looking forward to a nice day today.

Beautiful sunny day here too. First for ages. Its been such  cold wet winter and Spring so  it's lovely to see the sun again 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, rrraydon said:

Good morning! However, I work overnights, so 2 more hours of work and I get to go home and go to bed. I guess it's like night time for me instead of morning. 😁

I use to do days and nights shifts , 12 hour shifts, four on four off. The feeling of going home and snuggling into bed as everyone else was going to work almost made shift work worth it. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Jade likes to have her ears rubbed also.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, sgmn said:

I use to do days and nights shifts , 12 hour shifts, four on four off. The feeling of going home and snuggling into bed as everyone else was going to work almost made shift work worth it. 

Yes! I feel the same way... 😂 Mine are three 12s also. Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.

Edited by rrraydon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

I was personally told this at the hospital musculoskeletal department last April 2023 when they suggested hip replacement for me.

I watched the TV screen while having a cardiac stent put into my circumflex artery during an angioplasty op following my heart attack in December 2019.

Plenty of people decline meds for colonoscopies. Though I understand it is more common in Europe. Angioplasty and stent placement don't require meds. I've never heard of someone being awake for a hip. Maybe Americans are just wimps.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

27 minutes ago, sgmn said:

When we first got married and Gary was building flying hours, the cheapest way was to fly within Florida. We spent a couple of weeks flying up and down and across the state, including along the keys.  We got buzzed by two fighter jets, think out of Homestead.  Lots of stories from that trip 

The being buzzed by jets reminded me of this.

We had been on a 15 nights Hawaiian cruise on Grand Princess in December 2019.

After leaving our last port of Ensenada in Mexico on our way back to San Francisco 2 fighter jets flew around our cruise ship for almost 30 minutes and they came frightenly close to the ship at high speed several times.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Plenty of people decline meds for colonoscopies. Though I understand it is more common in Europe. Angioplasty and stent placement don't require meds. I've never heard of someone being awake for a hip. Maybe Americans are just wimps.

A lot of my patients are so I'm gonna have to agree with you on that! lol

9 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I turned down the hip replacement op offer in April 2023 because I was only 66 and also expressed by concerns about my heart medication and General anaesthetic.

I was told they now use numbing injections instead of a general anaesthetic for hip replacement.

Screenshot_20240429_103157.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, sgmn said:

57 minutes ago, rrraydon said:

Yes! I feel the same way... 😂 Mine are three 12s also. Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.

Sue and Donna,

Pls. help me understand... "12 hours shifts" -- does it mean continuous 12 hours, or 4 days [shifts] of 12 hours, and then 4 days off?

Same as 3 week end days in a row?

When I've served in the army, we had 7 hours shifts with 2 breaks of 20 mins of sitting down.

We're patrolling in what may be called the "Grand Central", checking suspects of terrorism activity.

I used to return home whipped out.

Since then, I'm sitting down whenever I have the possibility....😉

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Sue and Donna,

Pls. help me understand... "12 hours shifts" -- does it mean continuous 12 hours, or 4 days [shifts] of 12 hours, and then 4 days off?

Same as 3 week end days in a row?

When I've served in the army, we had 7 hours shifts with 2 breaks of 20 mins of sitting down.

We're patrolling in what may be called the "Grand Central", checking suspects of terrorism activity.

I used to return home whipped out.

Since then, I'm sitting down whenever I have the possibility....😉

My shifts are every Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights from 7p to 7a...I work in the emergency department. It can be busy some nights and be 12hrs non stop or if slower some breaks in-between.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

Hope you have a nice day pain-free day😊

It was high 50s on Saturday, 84f yesterday and expecting 89F today.

These swings in temperatures are crazy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Wow.  I don't think I could do any of that.  I just want a good nap with the stuff that helps you forget it even happened.  You are a trooper.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I turned down the hip replacement op offer in April 2023 because I was only 66 and also expressed by concerns about my heart medication and General anaesthetic.

I was told they now use numbing injections instead of a general anaesthetic for hip replacement.

Screenshot_20240429_103157.jpg

I wasn't doubting you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Wow.  I don't think I could do any of that.  I just want a good nap with the stuff that helps you forget it even happened.  You are a trooper.

You don't want to hear a saw cutting through your bone?

• Like 2
  • Haha 11