Rebooking Carnival this Summer

CoryW

Hello All!

First time Cruiser here. My son and I were booked on the brand new Radiance from NYC to Caribbean on July 20th. Carnival cancelled all of this ship's sailings through November.

We are wanting to rebook for an August cruise and I have a few questions.

Both itineraries are the same but the ships are different.

Magic vs Horizon? Both itineraries are exactly the same. I am traveling with a 15 year old. The price difference is about $300 to sail on the Horizon. There are no balcony rooms on Deck's that I am interested in. If we choose the Horizon, there is 1 Spa 9 room left that is only $20 more then the interior room that I was looking into. The cabins are slim pickings at this point.

Both ships have Deck 9 and 11 available. Are these good locations? I was trying to get midship as I do sometimes get seasick.

3 minutes ago, BillieJeanKaraokeKing said:

Not answering your question, sorry, but If they've cancelled sailings on one ship with the same itinerary through November, it seems a bit risky/optimistic to consider the same for August? Probably very likely to end up with similar hassle/disappointment? 

The voyages on the Radiance are cancelled due to it being in drydock. The other 2 ships are operational. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CoryW said:

Hello All!

First time Cruiser here. My son and I were booked on the brand new Radiance from NYC to Caribbean on July 20th. Carnival cancelled all of this ship's sailings through November.

Magic vs Horizon? Both itineraries are exactly the same. I am traveling with a 15 year old. The price difference is about $300 to sail on the Horizon. There are no balcony rooms on Deck's that I am interested in. If we choose the Horizon, there is 1 Spa 9 room left that is only $20 more then the interior room that I was looking into. The cabins are slim pickings at this point.

Both ships have Deck 9 and 11 available. Are these good locations? I was trying to get midship as I do sometimes get seasick.

I would wait on booking any cruise until the Fall/winter....

34 minutes ago, mpdog42 said:

34 minutes ago, mpdog42 said:

There are people who love the Magic and ones who love the Horizon. Either one won’t disappoint you. The higher you are, the more susceptible you are to seasickness. I would book it now if tying up the funds is o.k. with you. Looks like everyone is rebooking and ships are filling up quickly. We are on the Horizon on September 5th. 8 days. Just checked and there are balcony’s available, but the cabin and deck will be assigned. Good luck what ever you decide to do.

Edited by skrufy
Addition

5 hours ago, CoryW said:

Hello All!

I don't think the 15 yr can use most of the spa amenities so that may be a factor. 

8 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

I don't think the 15 yr can use most of the spa amenities so that may be a factor. 

no he can’t but I didn’t know if it was a nicer room since it’s only a $20 price difference.

2 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

Or at least wait till a reopen date is announced and kept. There isn't any advantage to rushing. 

We've sailed on the vista which is the same class as the Horizon and we've also sailed on the Magic, I say do the Horizon, new and a little bigger. We are schedule on Panorama for the end of June which is the same class as the Horizon, unfortunately our trip will probably be canceled by Carnival. If not we'll be sailing. Good luck and enjoy whatever you book.

11 hours ago, CoryW said:

no he can’t but I didn’t know if it was a nicer room since it’s only a $20 price difference.

Hi CoryW

The cabins are the same, it is just the access to the Cloud9 spa facilities, that are extra. You also get a few in cabin extras, such as toiletries. 

The $20 extra is more than fair, as long as you actually would use the facilities. Without the spa cabin you would still have access to the gym and change room/shower facilities. I believe (could be wrong) on the Horizon there would be a steam room in the change rooms as well. Your son if accompanied by yourself would be allowed to use the gym facilities.

I too, would caution that while anything is possible, a summer sailing could very easily be cancelled again. As a first time cruiser this can easily be very frustrating, but considering the bigger picture, you need to understand it is very possible. There already have been many discussions on whether cruising will even be able to happen again in the future. 

With that said. Welcome to cruise critic.

Good luck and happy cruising.

10 hours ago, ano said:

Or at least wait till a reopen date is announced and kept. There isn't any advantage to rushing. 

While I am not saying I would book this summer, there is some potential advantage.  Once they announce, there will be a mad rush to book, and prices will probably be raised a bit before the announce (since they know this). While there will be some people that will avoid cruising, others will be ready and willing to go as soon as they are open.  

We rebooked our spring break for this year that got cancelled for spring break next year, as I figure once many people get refunds/fcc, things will start filling up, especially peak times.  If the price goes down, you can always get that new rate, but if you have not booked, and the price goes up, you are sol.

If I book a cruise for myself and DH in November 2020,  and then I make final payment in September, does Carnival give me a full refund if the cruise is canceled because the virus is back?

I don’t want FCC or extra OBC. I just want my $$ back.  I’m platinum and have sailed 20-plus cruises in 11 years with them.  I’ve been pretty loyal but I definitely want my money back if it cancels. 

I just don’t want carnival filing bankruptcy and taking part or all of my money. Or would my credit card company secure that purchase?

On 4/6/2020 at 3:40 PM, CoryW said:

Hello All!

Honestly take your money back. You are giving your money to carnival so they have money to refund to another. Take a land vacation. Just creating a 2nd headache for yourself. The pandemic will be over im sure but cruising is very doubtful this summer.

41 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

Honestly take your money back. You are giving your money to carnival so they have money to refund to another. Take a land vacation. Just creating a 2nd headache for yourself. The pandemic will be over im sure but cruising is very doubtful this summer.

I already told them to put it on my account and took the $600 OBC. If it gets cancelled again I’ll just wait as I would have 2 years to use it. The more I think about it and given the advice on here I wish I wouldn’t have jumped so fast and taken the money back. Carnival is doing a great job of showing cruisers the “deal” that they could get right now and wasn’t thinking clearly.