Now for something completely different

On 12/19/2021 at 12:34 PM, lyndarra said:

I noticed a high presence of Canadians in Playa del Carmen - tourists and businesses. Are they called snowbirds there or do the Mexicans have a different name for them?

Don't they call them gringos?🤔

• Haha 1

@Porky55 thanks for sending me down that rabbit hole, now I want to buy a drag strip! 50 pro mods racing for $50,000 sounds fairly entertaining but buying an entire strip with all the hardware to keep it running for $690,000 seems like the fun that keeps giving! All I need to do is win the lottery now lol.

30 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

that was a bit of a laugh. For me Mexico isn't high on my places to go list.

I'm the opposite, did a road trip around southern Mexico and absolutely fell in love with all the food, culture, society, architecture, history, art, music. It was my kind of place🤗. I'm dying to go back visit the places we missed just wish there were better flight options than through LAX😬. They use to talk about having non stop flights from Sydney to Mexico City but with the pandemic cutting so many existing flight routes I doubt there will be any new ones established for a long time yet

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I'm the opposite, did a road trip around southern Mexico and absolutely fell in love with all the food, culture, society, architecture, history, art, music. It was my kind of place🤗. I'm dying to go back visit the places we missed just wish there were better flight options than through LAX😬. They use to talk about having non stop flights from Sydney to Mexico City but with the pandemic cutting so many existing flight routes I doubt there will be any new ones established for a long time yet

I hope you can fulfill your wish to return to Mexico, perhaps you could find a non stop out of YVR to Mexico. You could have a nice visit to Canada, maybe an Alaska cruise then carry on to Mexico. Maybe check out if there is a Pacific coastal cruise you could enjoy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I have visited Mexico aa few times both ports of call and trips in from the US over the border. Most have left me unimpressed.

I guess you didn't see enough. A bit like judging all Australia by visiting a few coastal ports.

In 2016 we did a two week road tour and very much enjoyed it. Didn't visit any ports or border areas. That was followed up by a two week cruise from Ft Lauderdale to San Diego which was a great way to make a comparison. And, it really showed we were not seeing anywhere near what Mexico had to offer just by visiting tourist saturated cruise ports.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

This gave me a chuckle😆:

All expats can safely be considered gringos

So now I am offended …..gringo should go the way of Coon cheese, redskins, gollywogs ( do they still make gaytime icecreams?) etc etc ..if only in the name of equality and wokeism……more power to the minorities. 🤡🤡🤡

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I guess you didn't see enough. A bit like judging all Australia by visiting a few coastal ports.

In 2016 we did a two week road tour and very much enjoyed it. Didn't visit any ports or border areas. That was followed up by a two week cruise from Ft Lauderdale to San Diego which was a great way to make a comparison. And, it really showed we were not seeing anywhere near what Mexico had to offer just by visiting tourist saturated cruise ports.

Of course, I  haven't seen that much of it, but as I said, not impressed with what I did see. That is not to say I didn't  like it and we plan on seeing more in the future.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Oh dear! A report has just come in that a truck has spilled a load of fish on the Sydney Harbour Bridge, closing two northbound lanes. Now that's something different! 🤣

Julie, you had better get in your limo, head for ye olde SHB and salvage a few flathead, prawns and salmon for Chrissie.🦐🐟

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Oh dear! A report has just come in that a truck has spilled a load of fish on the Sydney Harbour Bridge, closing two northbound lanes. Now that's something different! 🤣

That is sure to put a snapper in the works, sorry got my p's and n's mixed up

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

That is sure to put a snapper in the works, sorry got my p's and n's mixed up

I hope the truck driver has not got a 'Flat head' and has not  'Flaked' out,  poor 'Sole.'😂

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I have visited Mexico aa few times both ports of call and trips in from the US over the border. Most have left me unimpressed.

We visited two border towns when crossing Mexico to Belize and then Guatemala back to Mexico and neither town represented either country. The border towns are like micro countries with their own unique cultures and systems.

The only cruise port we stayed at was Acapulco, which like the border towns was very different to anywhere we had been in Mexico. I didn't find it bad but doesn't rank as my favourite place so I can see why cruise ports might not be impressive but at least it is not Cancun 😂. Now that was a dreary sad city. Everyone told us not to stay there and I'm glad we listened, a couple of hours visit was definitely enough😬

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I hope you can fulfill your wish to return to Mexico, perhaps you could find a non stop out of YVR to Mexico. You could have a nice visit to Canada, maybe an Alaska cruise then carry on to Mexico. Maybe check out if there is a Pacific coastal cruise you could enjoy.

I did consider that flight route. One of my bucket list items is to do the Alaskan Marine Highway and of course I will have to stop in Toronto. My uncle and his family world be mortified that I was "in the area" and didn't stop by 😂. Unfortunately with all that I don't think I could fit a Mexico trip. One thing I learnt from Mexico tripping; it is slow a travel place. You just can't whirlwind Mexico like you can Europe otherwise you'll never experience anything

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The truck may have been overloaded...should have put it over the ..scales.......causing all this chaos, the driver will be gutted.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, gbenjo said:

If it really happened..it may just be another Xmas “tail”

I do not mind a couple of 'Flat head 'Tails.'  OR even a couple of lobster 'tails.' 

th.jpg.46bcfd50985294d3fd3a2122f5f396be.jpg

Edited by NSWP