Cash deposit when using a FCC

hoopslover

Our May 1 cruise was cancelled and we received 125% in FCC.  I found a cruise for August 2021 and told my TA that I had FCC.  She booked it but said I still had to pay the deposit in cash. She said the additional 20% off would come off after I paid the deposit.

I called NCL and they said that was the correct procedure.  I never saw anything that said I can't use my $9200 worth of FCC for the cruise including the deposit. 

Anyone confirm this?  My TA is working from home and it sometimes takes days to get back to me,

Thanks for any help.  I am just checking your experiences not saying anyone did anything wrong.

There is another post with the same scenario , but others saying they booked using fcc and don't mention any additional for a deposit.  I had CN certificates, so deposit wasn't an issue.  Maybe it depends on whether or not the fcc is more than enough to cover the full cost?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, julig22 said:

There is another post with the same scenario , but others saying they booked using fcc and don't mention any additional for a deposit.  I had CN certificates, so deposit wasn't an issue.  Maybe it depends on whether or not the fcc is more than enough to cover the full cost?

NCL told me everyone had to pay the deposit before the FCC would be credited and the additional 20% off deducted. My FCC was plenty to cover the entire cruise.

Yeah, we used FCC and 20% discount to book 2 other cruises with the FCC we got for our cancelled April cruise.  We had actually booked one of them prior to all of this happening, and had paid a $250 deposit (we didn't have any CN available).  We were able to cover the cost of both cruises completely with our FCC - one returned CN from the cancelled cruise for the deposit on the new cruise booked.  We will get another CN returned from a different cancelled cruise, and our PCC has said we can use that to replace the $250 cash deposit we previously paid (it will be credited to CC).  My mom also has another cruise booked with a friend of hers that FCC only covers part of, but they were also not asked for a cash deposit.

I'm not sure if PCCs have more flexibility in this (they can see how much FCC/how many CNs you have).  Might be a HUCA - Hang Up, Call Again, situation.

Our May cruise was cancelled & we used the FCC to book for next year.  Not booked directly through NCL, but through an agency.  We were never asked for any money & we still have FCC leftover to use for our excursions.  I think someone is pulling your leg.

When I rebooked for January 2021, my travel agent said I still needed to make the deposit.  He said "FCC is not a payment, it's a discount".  There are so many conflicting stories floating around now.  NCL website says "We’re also giving an additional 20% discount when you book by April 27, 2020 using your Future Cruise Credit on cruises embarking October 1, 2020 - December 31, 2022! ", yet I received email yesterday saying image.png.8464c5d255a85b043e04bce637c59ead.png

1 hour ago, vince_g said:

When I rebooked for January 2021, my travel agent said I still needed to make the deposit.  He said "FCC is not a payment, it's a discount".  There are so many conflicting stories floating around now.  NCL website says "We’re also giving an additional 20% discount when you book by April 27, 2020 using your Future Cruise Credit on cruises embarking October 1, 2020 - December 31, 2022! ", yet I received email yesterday saying image.png.8464c5d255a85b043e04bce637c59ead.png

How can FCC be a discount? It's money you have already given to NCL! What kind of game is this they are playing?

• Like 2

OP here.  My online TA got back to me today and she is working on whether the FCC will apply to the paid deposit.  It is only a temporary authorization on my credit card at this time and hasn't been posted. The hold for the b2b cruises for 2021 expired last night and their website could only accept the booking this way so hopefully it will be straightened out soon.  

Thanks for all of your replies.

For what it is worth, I booked two cruises today on NCL.com. I had a cancelled March cruise and took the 100% FCC plus the extra 25% FCC instead of the refund. I used cruise next and FCC to secure the cruise. 

Cruise #1, the 20% off was applied automatically since I was logged into my NCL account. I used two cruise next credits to take care of the deposit. So I paid the “other amount” of $500 to lock it in. No FCC used because at the time I couldn’t see how to apply three credits online. Turns out you can’t. 

Cruise #2, I put a hold on the cruise and then called the NCL agent to apply all of my credits because the online booking system will only allow you to use two credits as payment. First, she took the 25% FCC and deducted that from the price of the room. It does not show up in my “payments applied section” of the confirmation but was taken off the fare. Then she applied my 100% FCC and two cruise next credits. It left me with a balance of about $50. The confirmation was confusing. Part of the money was taken off the top line fare and then some was added in the discount section after the taxes line item. I haven’t figured out the math yet, but it all worked out as I expected. 

I don’t think you could use the 25% FCC as a deposit because they use it to further reduce the fare, not as a payment. Maybe that is what the other poster was alluding to earlier? The 100% FCC should work as a deposit since it seems to be treated like cash/cruise next credit. Now, maybe someone successfully used it when paying online using it as a credit, but it probably won’t work that way over the phone. 

Also, the 25% FCC has a notation that says single use only, which I took to mean that if I cancel this cruise before final payment, that 25% FCC disappears forever, because there is no notation of it in the confirmation document since they used it to reduce the fare, so I’m not sure how they would know to give it back if the cruise is cancelled by me or them. We’d have to ask NCL to clarify and I did not at the time of payment. 

On 4/13/2020 at 2:51 AM, Beer Belly said:

We rebooked for April 2021 and used no cash, all FCC thru our agent.

We rebooked for February 2021 through an NCL agent. We used FCC for the deposit,  no credit card needed.

I am a TA and a cash deposit or a credit card hold is not needed to rebook.    I've even been able to rebook before my clients have even received their FCC.  I can get the booking put into booked status without a deposit while waiting on the FCC.

I had more than enough money with the 125% FCC and the additional 20% to get a huge upgrade and still have money left over on the FCC.

I have a final payment due date, but is is for a negative balance. I did not have to pay anything...my understanding is that was because I have enough to cover the entire cost.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On 4/12/2020 at 9:40 PM, hoopslover said:

Our May 1 cruise was cancelled and we received 125% in FCC.  I found a cruise for August 2021 and told my TA that I had FCC.  She booked it but said I still had to pay the deposit in cash. She said the additional 20% off would come off after I paid the deposit.

I called NCL and they said that was the correct procedure.  I never saw anything that said I can't use my $9200 worth of FCC for the cruise including the deposit. 

Anyone confirm this?  My TA is working from home and it sometimes takes days to get back to me,

Thanks for any help.  I am just checking your experiences not saying anyone did anything wrong.

OP here.  I finally got it all straightened out with my TA.  The  deposits will be refunded by NCL and they will use more of my FCC for the deposit.  Very pleased with my amenities from my TA.

Thanks for all of your comments.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hoopslover said:

OP here.  I finally got it all straightened out with my TA.  The  deposits will be refunded by NCL and they will use more of my FCC for the deposit.  Very pleased with my amenities from my TA.

Thanks for all of your comments.

Awesome!! WTG... hopefully the next cruise will be worth the wait.... who am I kidding? of course it will.