Oasis still coming to Bayonne??

bren61

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Normally I would agree with this but there is so much information out there that unless you just landed on this planet if would be deceitful. The average person who doesn't cruise on a regular basis won't book a cruise this soon. Most people are out of work and the only jobs available now are temporary jobs. It's the few die hards on cruise critic that are either booking with cash to gain the 125% FCC knowing that there will be a cancelation or those who already have an FCC and are booking for the fantastic price that may or may not happen. Neither have anything to lose except the risk of being disappointed.

CC is a small portion of cruisers out there.  There are many diehards that I know and cruise with that I have had to inform.   These are people who have done TAs and other long cruises in the past and do not spend time on CC and were about to book a May cruise until I stopped them.  I have several co workers as well that were asking my opinion on if they should book a cruise for May (before they were cancelled).  I had one that had a cruise in April debating if she needed to cancel, and I told her to hold tight as she wouldn’t be forced to take an FCC and could get a refund if she let them cancel.   I realize this is anecdotal, but CC is a much smaller percentage of cruisers And even hardcore cruisers than we like to believe.  

Either way,  just because you “should” be informed doesn’t mean that makes it right for a cruise line to sell cruises they know are not taking off without giving the cruiser some degree of informed consent. Normally I am all about “let the buyer beware” but these are extraordinary times and to be taking advantage of unsuspecting casual cruisers seems so wrong.   There is still a huge portion of the population that believes “this is just the flu” and that all will be normal by June.  

That same portion of the population goes on their way and books cruises with the expectation that they will happen.  

For the record I find it hard to believe people wouldn’t be informed about the state of the cruise lines and everything in general at this point but based on posts on CC and other forums, It has become apparent there is a general lack of the state of the world at this point.  As in people are convinced it is going back to normal in a month or two and in a year we won’t remember any of this happened. 

Edited by rimmit

42 minutes ago, Chrislynn55 said:

Thank you. This was what I thought, and what I read when I re-checked RCI's non refundable cancellation policy after reading the post by nemesees.

sorry for the bad information. I didn’t know it had changed.

21 minutes ago, rimmit said:

CC is a small portion of cruisers out there.  There are many diehards that I know and cruise with that I have had to inform.   These are people who have done TAs and other long cruises in the past and do not spend time on CC and were about to book a May cruise until I stopped them.  I have several co workers as well that were asking my opinion on if they should book a cruise for May (before they were cancelled).  I had one that had a cruise in April debating if she needed to cancel, and I told her to hold tight as she wouldn’t be forced to take an FCC and could get a refund if she let them cancel.   I realize this is anecdotal, but CC is a much smaller percentage of cruisers And even hardcore cruisers than we like to believe.  

Either way,  just because you “should” be informed doesn’t mean that makes it right for a cruise line to sell cruises they know are not taking off without giving the cruiser some degree of informed consent. Normally I am all about “let the buyer beware” but these are extraordinary times and to be taking advantage of unsuspecting casual cruisers seems so wrong.   There is still a huge portion of the population that believes “this is just the flu” and that all will be normal by June.  

That same portion of the population goes on their way and books cruises with the expectation that they will happen.  

For the record I find it hard to believe people wouldn’t be informed about the state of the cruise lines and everything in general at this point but based on posts on CC and other forums, It has become apparent there is a general lack of the state of the world at this point.  As in people are convinced it is going back to normal in a month or two and in a year we won’t remember any of this happened. 

I'm shocked that die hard cruisers are so uninformed. I have friends who don't cruise and know that we do and ask if we will still cruise after this is over. That was was back when the Princess ships were in trouble.  I guess it depends on how hard the state was hit and how much the media in the area are covering the event. Here even the commercials on TV all have a Covid 19 theme. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cured said:

They did spike it for Oasis, summer 2021. The prices are way higher than my Oasis, summer 2020 prices.

Deluxe Beverage $77 vs $61

Refreshment $34.99 vs $19

They would be better off offering the same prices as this year and maybe people would purchase them. $19 dollar refreshment package sounds like a sale. $26 to $28 was the normal prince that I remember. I got mine for $18 last year on Black Friday.

26 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I'm shocked that die hard cruisers are so uninformed. I have friends who don't cruise and know that we do and ask if we will still cruise after this is over. That was was back when the Princess ships were in trouble.  I guess it depends on how hard the state was hit and how much the media in the area are covering the event. Here even the commercials on TV all have a Covid 19 theme. 

Yes,  my friend was literally about to book a 20 day NCL cruise for May about two weeks ago.   I was like “ummm....   I really don’t think that’s going to happen.   Why don’t you wait a little bit longer and see where this goes.  I am sure there will be available cabins in a week or two.”

She was on a 12 night X southern Caribbean set to leave Mar 15th On the Silhouette, and thankfully her cruise was cancelled on mar 13th about 12 hours before they were set to take off.   That’s when I realized “Hmm....  I don’t think people have come to realize what is going on in the world, and the extent of the problem.”  As this is a reasonably educated human being who I viewed as pretty well informed and she was about to book a 20 night cruise in May with the assumption it would go.  Not the assumption it wouldn’t and if not “oh well.”  She lives in Wisconsin and she partly just needs to get out of the cold.

She has ample resources so locking up her cash flow wouldn’t be an issue, but that’s not the case for many unfortunately.

Edited by rimmit

40 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

They would be better off offering the same prices as this year and maybe people would purchase them. $19 dollar refreshment package sounds like a sale. $26 to $28 was the normal prince that I remember. I got mine for $18 last year on Black Friday.

You are correct, the refreshment @ $19 was during a sale. I purchased it during Black Friday, however it did return to Black Friday prices for 10 days in February.

I kept a daily spreadsheet on prices.  From 1/1 to 4/1, the refreshment package fluctuated between $19 and $28.99, changing roughly every 5 - 15 days, mostly every 5 or 10 days.

For anyone who likes trend stats: 🙂

1/1-1/15 - $28.99                    1/1-1/20 - $65

1/16-1/20 - $28                       1/21-1/30 - $61

1/21-1/30 - $22                       1/31-2/4 - $65

1/31-2/4 - $28                          2/5-2/14 - $61

2/5-2/14 - $19                          2/15-2/24 - $65

2/15-2/24 - $28                        2/25-3/5 - $61

2/25-3/4 - $22                          3/5 - $65

3/5 - $28                                   3/6-3/14 - $61

3/6-3/14 - $22                         3/15- 4/1 - $65

3/15-4/1 - $28 (stopped tracking on 4/1)

The deluxe package was either $61 or $65, never changed between those two numbers.

Edited by cured
  • Like 1

It really depends if cruise ships will fall in phase two or three. It's almost a given that the tri-state area will open in Mid-May for phase one, and I can see phase two follow before the end of June. Phase three? Who knows?

So can we cruise with entertainment limited to 50% capacity (I can see that), limited 50%-75% capacity (ditto), testing everyone boarding (uh huh), requirement for a face mask while walking around the ship (sure), strict limits for pools and whirlpools (yup) and maybe no child care/camps (the horror)?

Oasis right now is not utilized, and is scheduled to go back to Florida on 11/4. There's no reason Oasis shouldn't serve NYC in September, October and perhaps (part of) August.

Maybe that's wishful thinking but my wife always calls me an eternal optimist.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

But people continue to view their 125% FCC as a great investment

However, prices for next year are well over the 125% credit for now- perhaps they will go down closer to the proposed sail dates.

Edited by Cruise a holic

You wont see a cruise ship leave out of NY or NJ until 2021 at minimum.  Its the epicenter of this country’s outbreak.  Why increase any chances.  However, if the airlines are not flying at normal capacity. That will break the back of the cruise industry as well.

time to go back to charter fishing off the keys Again.

37 minutes ago, Fireworks77 said:

You wont see a cruise ship leave out of NY or NJ until 2021 at minimum.  Its the epicenter of this country’s outbreak.  Why increase any chances.  However, if the airlines are not flying at normal capacity. That will break the back of the cruise industry as well.

time to go back to charter fishing off the keys Again.

Everytime de Blasio gives a press conference life gets pushed farther out. Today he announced cancelation of the June parades. I agree with him however life as we know it, keeps getting pushed back. If they don't open beaches there is no way they are going to allow cruise ships to dock. NJ Governor is on the same page as New York so I can't see Cape Liberty opening if N.Y. doesn't.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Everytime de Blasio gives a press conference life gets pushed farther out. Today he announced cancelation of the June parades. I agree with him however life as we know it, keeps getting pushed back. If they don't open beaches there is no way they are going to allow cruise ships to dock. NJ Governor is on the same page as New York so I can't see Cape Liberty opening if N.Y. doesn't.

Not looking good for me going up for moms 90 mid June in Westchester

2 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Not looking good for me going up for moms 90 mid June in Westchester

Let's see what happens Mid May.  I have to cancel my JetBlue Florida flights for mid June. We have no intention of going. I'm playing the waiting game for a flight change or cancellation. Even if we did go our Orlando flight going would have to be changed to PBI.

• Like 1

I trust you all realize that there are still a thousand or more crew members still stuck on the Oasis!  We have a crew friend who is spending day 21 on the ship in isolation and was just informed that it’s been extended for another 7 days!  She’d love to be back in Manila with her family, but she is stuck on the ship!  They are not sending the Oasis anywhere in the near future for cruising!   

4 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

We had to cancel our June 26 cruise from NJ- also were thinking about August- but that probably will not be an option so 

- we are now scheduled to leave from Ft. Lauderdale in January- hope cruising will be safe by then

Same for me. I had it booked before the ***** hit the fan. I rarely book very far out but when I got back from Adventure in January, I couldn't stand not having a reservation to keep checking.😊

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

as a jersey resident who does business in the city, we have the 2 biggest idiots leading us!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Same for me. I had it booked before the ***** hit the fan. I rarely book very far out but when I got back from Adventure in January, I couldn't stand not having a reservation to keep checking.😊

wow. I booked a cruise for October 2021 already and I done that last year like you, way before this ***** happened. But I AM NOT CANCELLING. Unless it gets worse.

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Which ship and sailing?

Oasis In September 13

sorry, I thought this was the September 13 roll call.

I need to get out of the house some. Losing my mind.

Edited by nemesees
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, nemesees said:

Oasis In September 13

sorry, I thought this was the September 13 roll call.

I need to get out of the house some. Losing my mind.

Maybe you have discovered a new way of telling that a cruise has been cancelled!😉😄

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Maybe you have discovered a new way of telling that a cruise has been cancelled!😉😄

😄 Doubt it, still sitting at $65 for my 6/14 on Oasis.  More likely they are trying to entice buyers on a cruise that miiiiiiiight happen.