The Future of Luxury Cruising (from a Regent-lover's point of view)

The New Reality aboard a 5+Star "All inclusive" vessel may approximate the model just-detailed by Uniworld Boutique River Cruises.  While not-an-exact one-to-one match, close-enough for meaningful comparison to Regent.  Uniworld boats we have boarded in Europe host 135-145 guests.  Keep that in mind.  Individual itineraries range from 7 to 12-day segments (usually).  

We have cruised the rivers of France on three different Uniworld boats in the past; and were scheduled for a repeat this Summer.  However, Uniworld canceled all itineraries throughout the world in mid-March.  No set-date for renewal.  For what it is worth, suggest going on Uniworld's Web site for minute details.

Keeping in mind that, like Regent, the previous model featured open seating for all meals--and buffet service available at breakfast and lunch--major changes in store for the dining venues. 

Key points:  The first three are MAJOR changes.  All restaurant dining will have reserved seating with guests at the same table; with same people, each day. Two seating times for each meal to limit number of persons at any one time in a dining venue.  No self-service during buffets--all meals, and portions thereof, will be served by waitstaff.  Items that were usually shared such as bread and butter, will be served individually by waitstaff.  Coffee table books, magazines, brochures removed from public use.  Guests access same through PressReader App on mobile devices.  Air conditioning filters cleaned and disinfected on each embarkation day prior to boarding.  Gloves, face masks and small bottles of hand sanitizer will be readily available for all guests.  For excursions--the maximum occupancy per bus will be adjusted to reduce the total number of people together at the same time.  

Uniworld will, "of course" continue to evolve the new protocols at needed and will follow the recommendations put forth by WHO and Cruise Lines International Association. 

Food for thought. 

GOARMY!

GOARMY - I typically agree with you but do not see Regent passengers doing set seating.  Heck, they do not even want to wear masks or do social distancing that is a CDC requirement. Plus, doing large tables does not permit distancing.  When a couple is first seated with another two couples, it could be very concerning. Rather, IF Regent ships sail with 50-60% capacity (as FDR expects) - at least when cruises first start out, I do not see a reason why seating in CR (for instance) cannot accommodate passengers - first come - first served.  They can seat tables that are far enough away from one another.  If there are more passengers, perhaps La Veranda could serve what CR is serving which allows for more seating (assuming that buffets will not permitted at first).  

After doing two river cruises (not the typical ones - one on the Nile and one in Fiji), I do not see Regent doing anything even similar to river cruises.  What I do see, however, is some of the luxury cruise lines doing similar changes to accommodate passengers and their safety.  

One reason that Crystal stopped "most" set seatings was due the outcry from passengers.  Can you imagine being seated with a couple that only wants to talk about themselves or politics?  

I'm willing to wear masks, gloves or whatever else is required but I draw the line at set seating.  In the current environment, I only want to be seated with my DH (or a couple that we know has also been following all procedures prior to boarding).

• Like 1

TC:

It is not a matter of agreeing, or not agreeing.  I simply put this out as a frame of reference.  Regent (and also Crystal on which we have sailed) has the advantage of several dining venues open for all meals.  Spacing may take care of itself.  Never had an issue on Crystal getting a table for two--at any meal. 

Again--just food for thought. 

GOARMY!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GOARMY said:

The New Reality aboard a 5+Star "All inclusive" vessel may approximate the model just-detailed by Uniworld Boutique River Cruises.  While not-an-exact one-to-one match, close-enough for meaningful comparison to Regent.  Uniworld boats we have boarded in Europe host 135-145 guests.  Keep that in mind.  Individual itineraries range from 7 to 12-day segments (usually).  

We have cruised the rivers of France on three different Uniworld boats in the past; and were scheduled for a repeat this Summer.  However, Uniworld canceled all itineraries throughout the world in mid-March.  No set-date for renewal.  For what it is worth, suggest going on Uniworld's Web site for minute details.

Keeping in mind that, like Regent, the previous model featured open seating for all meals--and buffet service available at breakfast and lunch--major changes in store for the dining venues. 

Key points:  The first three are MAJOR changes.  All restaurant dining will have reserved seating with guests at the same table; with same people, each day. Two seating times for each meal to limit number of persons at any one time in a dining venue.  No self-service during buffets--all meals, and portions thereof, will be served by waitstaff.  Items that were usually shared such as bread and butter, will be served individually by waitstaff.  Coffee table books, magazines, brochures removed from public use.  Guests access same through PressReader App on mobile devices.  Air conditioning filters cleaned and disinfected on each embarkation day prior to boarding.  Gloves, face masks and small bottles of hand sanitizer will be readily available for all guests.  For excursions--the maximum occupancy per bus will be adjusted to reduce the total number of people together at the same time.  

Uniworld will, "of course" continue to evolve the new protocols at needed and will follow the recommendations put forth by WHO and Cruise Lines International Association. 

Food for thought. 

GOARMY!

Lets talk masks...how would they be deployed?

Regarding restaurant by reservation... how many tables will be removed? How does that translate into how many passengers will be allowed onboard? Just asking , because I dont mind eating late,  however I dont think dining at midnight would be acceptable

7 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

Lets talk masks...how would they be deployed?

Regarding restaurant by reservation... how many tables will be removed? How does that translate into how many passengers will be allowed onboard? Just asking , because I dont mind eating late,  however I dont think dining at midnight would be acceptable

I do not believe that Regent would need to move any tables from the dining venues - they simply only fill certain tables.  It seems much easier than trying to store the tables.  I highly doubt if “set seating” will be implemented.  

In terms of masks, most of us have masks already.  I learned last night that flights (and possibly airports) will be requiring them.  They will have stores where you can purchase them at the airports.  If mandated, Regent would have masks available for their guests that do not have them.  

We have been trying out different types of masks that do the job but are also comfortable.  The one thing that bothers me about masks (besides for being uncomfortable) is that they cannot show expressions.  Obviously this is not as important as safety.  If I have to wear a mask on a ship, I’ll likely find a way to put a smile on the mask. 

There are now reusable masks (washable).  They have replaceable filters on the inside.  We just got some and have yet to use them.  When I tried mine on it felt more comfortable than others.  It has two one-way valves that makes it much easier to breathe.  In any case, it is likely that more and more masks will become available as this horrible virus continues.

If/while cruise lines consider mask-wearing as "necessary", then I will consider cruising (under those conditions) as "unnecessary".  😉 And for me, that also applies to flying.  For us, flying and cruising are not "necessary life activities".  I suspect many others also feel the same way.

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

If/while cruise lines consider mask-wearing as "necessary", then I will consider cruising (under those conditions) as "unnecessary".  😉 And for me, that also applies to flying.  For us, flying and cruising are not "necessary life activities".  I suspect many others also feel the same way.

Agreed!  I somehow think that permanent mask-wearing is NOT going to happen.

• Like 1

A mask requirement for dine-in restaurants/bars would be rather an impossibility, as how can one eat and drink while wearing a mask?  We go to public places (those that are open here) and always wear masks (and sometimes gloves too ). But we don’t stay there long, because masks and gloves become very uncomfortable with time. As airlines are requiring masks, we will not fly due to the added discomfort in an environment that has been uncomfortable fo a long time. There are no ports to which we can reasonably drive, so cruises are out, whether masks are required onboard or not. 

14 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

It's possible to argue or speculate that our lives have changed forever (or for years at least.)  And that mask-wearing will become part of that culture.

I would rather wear a mask than give up cruising, frankly.  Not sure about flying--something I was avoiding somewhat already.

I'm also experimenting with masks.  So far they've been home-made, but in a couple of weeks I'll be hopefully getting some nicely-made cotton ones, washable with a pocket for filter, in nice colorful fabrics.  I want one that's well-fitted, reasonably effective, and comfortable--my homemade ones don't cut it--I can't talk through them well, and find them stuffy, especially if the weather were warm.

But as Richard points out, hardly practical for dining.  And the safety of masks, as I've said before, is very much in how they are deployed, put on, taken off, stored afterwards.  That all remains a mystery to me at the moment.

21 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

A mask requirement for dine-in restaurants/bars would be rather an impossibility, as how can one eat and drink while wearing a mask?  We go to public places (those that are open here) and always wear masks (and sometimes gloves too ). But we don’t stay there long, because masks and gloves become very uncomfortable with time. As airlines are requiring masks, we will not fly due to the added discomfort in an environment that has been uncomfortable fo a long time. There are no ports to which we can reasonably drive, so cruises are out, whether masks are required onboard or not. 

I am also not convinced that these homemade or mass-marketed masks can filter out the tiny virus particles, even with the so-called 'dosposable' liners.  Check out the micron-size they're designed to filter out vs the particle size (in millimicrons) of the virus under discussion.  The resulets of your research may surprise you. Most of these mass-market masks may be okay for typical household, dust, or seasonal allergens but not much more.

3 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

I am also not convinced that these homemade or mass-marketed masks can filter out the tiny virus particles, even with the so-called 'dosposable' liners.  Check out the micron-size they're designed to filter out vs the particle size (in millimicrons) of the virus under discussion.  The resulets of your research may surprise you. Most of these mass-market masks may be okay for typical household, dust, or seasonal allergens but not much more.

Absolutely. I am somewhat concerned that people get a false sense of security when wearing these masks, feeling more comfortable getting close to others than they would without them, even though protection is questionable.

As far as we are concerned, we will return to cruising when it is “fun” again. That includes the whole travel experience, i.e. airports with lounges that are open, flights serving proper meals in premium classes, etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

Well, the masks no matter which type are not meant to protect you the user, they are meant to protect other people from you so only work for other people when you exhale, cough, sneeze, etc. and do not protect you from others as it is their masks that protect you not yours.

• Like 4

I agree absolutely about masks giving a false sense of security.  They are by no means to replace physical distancing (as we call "social" distancing here in Canada.)

Here's some testing done on  mask materials:

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-materials-that-filter-particles-best-in-homemade-masks-testing-2020-4

As a mask wearer in grocery stores, I do not get a false sense of security.    We maintain our distance as well.  Markets are really trying to keep people apart with one way isles (that some people seem to enjoy ignoring).  I have no problem waiting 6 feet behind the person in front of me if they need to stop and get things off of the shelves.  This is a part of being kind and understanding under the present conditions.  Things are not "normal" and I doubt if any of us were around for the 1918 pandemic so this is a first for all of us. 

It has always been said that masks protect others from you - not visa versa.  So, when grocery check-out personnel are wearing a mask, I find it rude not to do likewise.  Too many first responders, nurses, doctors, grocery store workers, etc. are dying because some people will not abide by these guidelines (that, in my opinion, should be a law - not a guideline).  If every single person in a country followed the guidelines to the "t" for 2-3 weeks, I believe that the new cases would decrease dramatically.

It is understandable that some people do not want to go on vacation if it requires a mask.  No one should be criticized for this (as long as they are protecting others by wearing a mask in public places). Those of us that decide to cruise should also be accepted.

I am concerned about the number of passengers that are booking cruises on cruise lines that cater to the younger crowd.  Many think that they invincible (as most of us did at that age).  It will be interesting to learn what steps these cruise lines take to keep their ships safe.  A few are scheduled to resume cruising in August. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

As far as any other mask besides an N-95 goes, they are required in some places to protect others, and not the person who wears one. These non-N-95 masks are only meant to catch the droplets from the mouth and nose of the wearer who might be infected. They offer no protection to the wearer.  But if everybody in a pace wears a non-N-95 mask, some degree of protection is given to all. 

It so happens that we have some N-95 masks that I bought several years ago. I wanted to clean my garage floor with a leaf blower. I was warned that this could stir up some fatal disease from the droppings of deer mice. These mice are known to inhabit our area, and I was advised to get N-95 masks and wear one when blowing out the debris. I don't have many, as I didn't buy many for that job. In my location, masks are required of retail store personnel, but not the customers. But many retail stores require customers to wear them in the store, which is their right. Some even require  gloves! Those are the ones where I shop.

Edited by Dolebludger
  • Like 1

I suspect that N-95 masks will once again become available when the number of cases of the virus begin a significant downward trend.  We still have some as well.  For some reason, after wearing one for 5 minutes, my nose clogs up.  Someone mentioned using the bags from some vacuum cleaners (heya filters) for the inside your mask.  It would be fairly easy to cut into the correct shape.  

I find this discussion very interesting but depressing.  As a poster above said, one goes on a Regent cruise for upbeat, fun and five star reasons - not to experience a mortuary.

I wear N-95 masks and gloves when in public and I avoid grocery stores (home delivery) as a recommended precaution.  I do so willingly at home.  But I can't imagine paying full fare to be on Mariner where I must wear a mask all day and adhere to social distancing of 6 feet everywhere on board.  How would this offer me a great vacation experience? 

Aside from removing your mask in Compass Rose, what about the various bars, tea time, lunch at the poolside grill, swimming in the pool, at the gym and sauna or playing Trivia? 

And what about those free excursions which start with us ducklings walking down the gangplank then boarding a tour bus?

I am not mocking the necessity to enforce health protocols on board.  But I do wonder how enjoyable life will be onboard.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tnr said:

TC, may I ask which mask you just purchased.  I have tried several, and don't like any of them.

Terri

Amazon no longer has the exact masks that I purchased.  This is a similar one but does not go around the head like ours does.  While the mask description does not mention viruses, the packaging mentions "Viral influenza.  I suspect that one can put in a better filter 

Here is one https://www.amazon.com/Dustproof-Activated-Filtration-Exhaust-Motorcycle/dp/B087BPJ1HX/ref=sr_1_3?camp=1789&creative=9325&dchild=1&imprToken=eKR4y4-WG8SHGF1nIUXtaQ&keywords=Washable+KN95+Mask+Anti+Pm2.5+Pollen+Half+Face+Anti+Smog+Dust+Odor+Pollution+(Black)&linkCode=xm2&linkId=9de808f6addec12a53b41110f44cade0&qid=1589138792&slotNum=0&sr=8-3

Here is one from eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Washable-Reusable-Face-Mask-In-Stock-Double-Layer-3-Pack-Ships-From-EU/184263298412?hash=item2ae6f2cd6c:m:mRMIuJb-UvR-bbD38M_kVrQ

4 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

There are now reusable masks (washable).  They have replaceable filters on the inside.  We just got some and have yet to use them.  When I tried mine on it felt more comfortable than others.  It has two one-way valves that makes it much easier to breathe.  In any case, it is likely that more and more masks will become available as this horrible virus continues.

Those one-way valves are bypassing the protection of the mask.  So whichever direction breathing is "easier" it is also less protected.  The valves in N-95 masks let air out more easily, protecting the wearer but providing less protection for others.  A quick look at the other masks available online with valves suggests that they are also to let air out more easily.  This seems counter-productive if the primary purpose of the mask is to protect others.

So if it is "rude" not to wear a mask when others are, IMO it would also seem be rude to wear one with a one way valve.

3 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

This is a very interesting and somewhat depressing article, suggesting that mostly the masks are just slowing down the velocity and maybe altering the direction of outbound (from the mask wearer) disease, and not doing much at all to protect the wearer.  Which is, of course, what everyone is saying.  Unfortunately, it mentions but does not really provide useful information about the potential dangers of the tested materials.  Putting a potentially hazardous material in front of my nose and breathing through it does not appeal to me, just as exposure to the virus does not appeal.  It is too bad they did not test standard (non-95) surgical mask material, or if they did they did not call them by their common name.  A surgical mask could also be used as a filter inside a home-made mask.

Standard (non-95) surgical masks do not usually fit tightly around the edges.  I have not seen much about how they compare , but it would seem that they would not be much or any better than a well made home-made mask.  Standard surgical masks are primarily designed to protect others from the wearer.  In surgery, to minimize breathing into the open wound, and for caregivers entering the room of a patient in protective isolation.  They do not have valves, which would decrease the effectiveness of the mask.

I have been making some masks, trying several patterns and incrementally modifying the one I like best to get it to fit tightly around the edges.  All the air going around the edge of the mask (which can be a lot if not tightly fitted) is not filtered at all, but at least if it is coming from a cough or sneeze by the wearer, the potentially infectious droplets are slowed down and re-directed enough to partially protect others.

Edited by SusieQft

Oh, I don’t trust the N-95 masks to fully protect me, either. As I said above, it is just that I have a few so I use them. Our local grocery stores (Kroger’s, Albertson’s and Walmart) do not require customers to wear any masks, so we don’t go in any of them. We go to a butcher shop for meat, which requires customers wear masks and gloves, and have everything else delivered or brought to our car. Masks are no substitute for personal or social distancing. I don’t know how most components of the travel industry can achieve this — especially the most crowded components such as mass market ships, commercial airlines, and tour busses. All of these have had business models of cramming people in like sardines! Components like Regent ships have the best chance of providing this distancing, with some modifications of course. Regent could turn its casino and some onboard shops into dining areas, convert to all tables for two, and perhaps succeed. What Regent will do — well we’ll have to wait and see. But as we are not getting on a commercial flight until seats are spread out or a vaccine developed, I suppose it doesn’t matter what Regent does now. We can’t get to a port without reliance on commercial airlines which seem to be putting the problem on the backs of passengers by requiring them to wear masks instead of removing and spreading out seats. Typical of them, don’t you think?  

Some news reports indicate we might have a vaccine (or at least treatment meds) by early 2021.So I thing we are going to wait on any vacation that involves flying commercial and/or cruising.

2 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Those one-way valves are bypassing the protection of the mask.  So whichever direction breathing is "easier" it is also less protected.  The valves in N-95 masks let air out more easily, protecting the wearer but providing less protection for others.  A quick look at the other masks available online with valves suggests that they are also to let air out more easily.  This seems counter-productive if the primary purpose of the mask is to protect others.

So if it is "rude" not to wear a mask when others are, IMO it would also seem be rude to wear one with a one way valve.

Obviously I was not aware of what a valve does.  Now that I do, I will not wear it.  This is a learning situation for many of us and I am hoping that I'm not being looked at as rude for making a mistake.  I do find the mask to be comfortable (tried it on last night) but will immediately order masks without the valve but with the filter.

Hopefully others will learn from my mistake.

Editing to say that I am purchasing these masks with filters included - quick delivery - from California (filters from S. Korea) https://www.ebay.com/itm/174267254324

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 1

I must confess I know little about the different varieties of face masks. Conventional wisdom here in Colorado is that virtually any sort (including a tied bandana) will help protect others from the wearer, to some degree. But to protect the wearer from viruses from others, (including virus’ from deer mouse droppings in one’s garage when one is blowing out debris), I have been told by doctors and very knowledgeable hardware store people that I need an N-95 rated mask. Now if I go to a place where everybody else is wearing at least a bandana over their noses and mouths, and I do the same, any sort of face mask would be fine. The problem with my N-95s is that they are very uncomfortable to wear too long. I have some other non-N-95 masks that I wear when I am sanding antique furniture, spray painting, or working in a dusty place. They are fine for those uses, and more comfortable too. But even those would be annoying to us on a long flight or an entire cruise.

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Obviously I was not aware of what a valve does.  Now that I do, I will not wear it.  This is a learning situation for many of us and I am hoping that I'm not being looked at as rude for making a mistake.  I do find the mask to be comfortable (tried it on last night) but will immediately order masks without the valve but with the filter.

There could still be a place for those masks with valves.  They are better than no mask at all (in both directions), so if it is significantly more comfortable and you are in a situation where you have to wear it for many hours it might help to make it tolerable.  Or perhaps in a situation where masks are recommended but not required.  All of this is assuming that you yourself are not sick at the time.  If you think you might be sick, you should not be wearing a mask with a valve, and preferably not be out in public anyway.,