After Ruby Princess - this Is The Last Thing We Need

15 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I am not sure your first few points are even true or if true whether they would carry enough weight through as being negligent. 

As for the last points, while I agree it was handled badly by Royal, that is not the issue and would not be claimable in this case.

Like I said, they may be responsible but not necessarily negligent.

I have to disagree.  Negligent - "lack of reasonable care and attention".  Not one passengers on the ship said they were warned by Royal on the very real danger of a trip to the island. Royal should have checked the current danger level, which had recently been upgraded on the island. They have a responsibility of care of their passengers, when they sell excursions.  Passengers pay extra for ship excursions.

Edited by MMDown Under

12 hours ago, banzaii said:

Thanks

I was a bit confused why the heading only mentions Ruby and the first post mentions nothing about either Ruby or Ovation but links to the White Island disaster.  It seemed a bit like a click-bait topic which I am not fond of.

I was wondering if there were 2 different topics and now the link does not work, it would be even more confusing for someone checking in without context.

banzaii

not fond of click bait myself so would never participate in it. If you thought it was, my apologies. CC asks for a heading by the OP and sometimes they are hard to come by 🤷‍♀️

It had more to do with the harassment being directed at the cruise industry by those who have probably never cruised and are being led by either the Media or now, even worse, those predatory law practices who prey on families in their desperation.

My comparison was the cruise industry being harassed, not the actual ships per se; though both now have cases pending.  I bet families were approached, they didn’t go looking for the cockroaches to sue the cruise lines in question for them.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I have to disagree.  Negligent - "lack of reasonable care and attention".  Not one passengers on the ship said they were warned by Royal on the very real danger of a trip to the island. Royal should have checked the current danger level, which had recently been upgraded on the island. They have a responsibility of care of their passengers, when they sell excursions.  Passengers pay extra for ship excursions.

IMO it is the responsibility of the tour operator to advise Royal of any change in risk. Did they do that? If they did and Royal did not pass that information to their guests then, yes, Royal would be responsible.

If the tour operator knew of the increase in risk and did not advise Royal then the question to ask is "why". Fear of losing $ income perhaps? That may only come out in court. Same question could be asked of Royal.

I read the heading "this is the last thing we need" to mean we didn't need any more news of the size of Ruby Princess, so I had a look to see the magnitude.

"See How the White Island volcano disaster unfolded 

Geonet upgraded White Island's alert level from level 1 to level 2 on 18/11/19, advising of increased volcanic unrest on the island.  Level 2 is highest level before an eruption takes place and indicates moderate to heightened volcanic unrest with potential for eruption hazards."

Story Lab - ABC

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

"See How the White Island volcano disaster unfolded 

Geonet upgraded White Island's alert level from level 1 to level 2 on 18/11/19, advising of increased volcanic unrest on the island.  Level 2 is highest level before an eruption takes place and indicates moderate to heightened volcanic unrest with potential for eruption hazards."

Story Lab - ABC

I had read in another article that being at level 2 was pretty standard for this volcano which if Royal did know might be why they did not inform passengers because they had always operated tours at that level with no incident and would not be considered unusual conditions. The authority that monitors the New Zealand volcanoes said that these levels are estimates at best based on the vents being more active or extra seismic readings but it can be like that for years with no eruption. 

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Not sure where you heard that, they did not interview any passengers from off the ship that went on the shorex. 

14 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Not sure where you heard that, they did not interview any passengers from off the ship that went on the shorex. 

Four Corners and what I read at the time.   I wasn't following from a legal perspective but from personal interest and how this could have been allowed to happen. 

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I had read in another article that being at level 2 was pretty standard for this volcano which if Royal did know might be why they did not inform passengers because they had always operated tours at that level with no incident and would not be considered unusual conditions. The authority that monitors the New Zealand volcanoes said that these levels are estimates at best based on the vents being more active or extra seismic readings but it can be like that for years with no eruption. 

That may be so (and I've read the same) but that's not a defence. If they are experts  (which they aren't) then they're taking responsibility for their own assessment and hence suable as it was not done with due care. But as they aren't, they still had a responsibility to pass on that information and could include the explanation about frequency so that passengers could make their own decision.

Here we go again.

Another story on 60 Minutes this Sunday I can't link the clip but this is the synopsis

Exposing the dirty secrets of the billion dollar cruise industry. SUNDAY on #60Mins, how the coronavirus spread across the high seas and left sick passengers thousands of dollars out of pocket.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cruisegroover said:

Here we go again.

Another story on 60 Minutes this Sunday I can't link the clip but this is the synopsis

Exposing the dirty secrets of the billion dollar cruise industry. SUNDAY on #60Mins, how the coronavirus spread across the high seas and left sick passengers thousands of dollars out of pocket.

What about how coronavirus spread across Asia, Europe and the Americas leaving travellers thousands of dollars out of pocket? Talk about biased reporting. Swear words! Many swear words! 😡

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

What about how coronavirus spread across Asia, Europe and the Americas leaving travellers thousands of dollars out of pocket? Talk about biased reporting. Swear words! Many swear words! 😡

Check out the clip I saw it on F..B.. which is why I can't link it. Maybe someone else is better at linking than me. You will really swear.

Edited by Cruisegroover
Sentence left out

3 minutes ago, Cruisegroover said:

Check out the clip I saw it on F..B.. which is why I can't link it. Maybe someone else is better at it than me. You will really swear.

I've given up taking any notice of what the sensationalist media does. It just makes me feel sick.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cruisegroover said:

Agree I don't think I can watch the full story.

I went over to their facebook page and posted that I wanted to know why 900+ international travelers from the US, UK etc, where the virus was already out of control, were allowed into Australia without any health checks to board that cruise. I also pointed out that if passengers don't report illnesses the cruise line can't be expected to know about them.

41 minutes ago, Cruisegroover said:

Here we go again.

Back in the day 6O minutes used to be worth watching.  These days it's on par with A Current Affair.  Won't bother watching. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Cruisegroover said:

The link worked perfectly and like OzKiwiJJ - many swear words 🤬😡🤬😡

Won’t bother watching 🤬

Edited by Porky55

13 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I went over to their facebook page and posted that I wanted to know why 900+ international travelers from the US, UK etc, where the virus was already out of control, were allowed into Australia without any health checks to board that cruise. I also pointed out that if passengers don't report illnesses the cruise line can't be expected to know about them.

When you look at this chart from the Department of Health it makes it pretty clear where the infections came from. But as they say never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

This graph shows new cases of COVID-19 in Australia by state and territory. See the Description field on the publication page for a full description.

covid-19-cases-acquired-overseas-by-region-or-country-acquired-covid-19-cases-acquired-overseas---by-region-or-country-acquired_17.png

Edited by Cruisegroover
Extra picture
  • Like 1

But that graph isn't entirely true. The virus has to get on the cruise ships from somewhere  it doesn't just turn up by itself. Someone, most probably a passenger or (much less likely) a new crew member, brought it onboard with them.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Back in the day 6O minutes used to be worth watching.  These days it's on par with A Current Affair.  Won't bother watching. 

I haven't watched it years for the same reason.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

But that graph isn't entirely true. The virus has to get on the cruise ships from somewhere  it doesn't just turn up by itself. Someone, most probably a passenger or (much less likely) a new crew member, brought it onboard with them.

Agreed. "Cruise ships" isn't a country, so the graph actually isn't giving an honest comparison. It's mixing up places where it spread with countries where it was sourced from.

You either compare places e.g. cruise ships, airports, nursing homes, planes, shopping centres, homes, or compare countries e.g USA. Thus, the graph doesn't tell us anything, and doesn't even make sense.

• Like 1

Here's the direct link for anyone wanting to save time:

It looks like Channel 9 saw the ratings from the 7 special so wanted to outdo them with their own sensationalised rubbish. It's from the same playbook.

Commercial channels - it's all about the ratings, nothing else. Say whatever to get people watching. At least we have the ABC (or what's left of it after government cuts).

Watched the trailer.... how over the top can you go ????

the media have a lot to answer for sometimes.....as it changes peoples ideas on things

Talking to a non cruising friends yesterday... They stated that we won't be going cruising again will we......

particularly after the Diamond and Ruby............   I just smiled and told them we actually have two cruises book late this year......   ( i don't think they will go ahead but we will see )... they told us we were mad......

People watch this stuff and believe it is all true because it was on the TV.........

Cheers Don

15 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I saw your post and thought what a small world as the person who commented after you lives in my suburb and we have a mutual friend. I was actually interested to read so many comments favourable to the cruise industry.

I won't be watching, I'm so over all the media sensationalising the Ruby Princess incident without doing proper research. I assume the American male in the trailer is the infamous Jim Walker? 

Leigh

Leigh