Will some countries have travel bans for the foreseeable future even with vaccines?

ren0312

Will some countries or places like Taiwan, HK, Korea, and NZ that pursued stamp out the virus strategies instead if herd immunity, or have simply acted very early and effectively to contain and eradicate the virus from their population, and appear have managed to almost eliminate coronavirus from their countries, enact travel bans against people from countries like Sweden that have pursued herd immunity strategies with respect to coronavirus, that is the strategy of deliberately exposing their population to the virus in the hopes that their population will gain herd immunity? Or even if a vaccine is made, suppose it is not completely effective, will we see places like NZ and Australia basically ban people from countries where coronavirus has already been very widespread among the population like the US, UK, and Canada for the foreseeable future, even for those who have already been been vaccinated, such as cruise ship passengers, due to doubts about the vaccines effectiveness?  Also there is the possibility that coronavirus seems to be like herpes, that once you get it, you can never really flush it totally out of your body, and some virus will always remain in your body waiting to be reactivated and infect people again, so you will always be like a ticking time bomb waiting to reinfect unaware people.

Well, Italy has closed their borders to tourism for the remainder of 2020. Mexico and Canada are closed to US, not sure about other countries. IIRC, even Australians have to 'do' a 14 day quarantine upon returning and that's in a hotel, in your room, meals brought in, etc. I'm sure the list is long. And South America has shown some examples of not being real enamored of cruise ships. I'm betting NZ is locked down to visitors.

Nobody knows, and anyone who says they know is delusional. But as soon as my crystal ball comes back from the repair shop, I'll let you know what it says.

PS: what is your definition of "foreseeable future"?

Edited by mom says
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Laurie S. said:

Mexico is not closed.  They are allowing travel both south and north across the border.

Of non-essential travel? We aren't allowing anybody in, unless Americans returning or essential travel. Plus trade, of course.

Yes, I have a home in San Carlos, Sonora and traffic has not changed going either way across the border at Nogales.  Americans can travel back and forth and Canadians are allowed to leave Mexico and cross the US.  Don't know about Mexican citizens, but I believe they are being allowed, also.

1 hour ago, Laurie S. said:

Yes, I have a home in San Carlos, Sonora and traffic has not changed going either way across the border at Nogales.  Americans can travel back and forth and Canadians are allowed to leave Mexico and cross the US.  Don't know about Mexican citizens, but I believe they are being allowed, also.

This information doesn't seem to be corroborated by a fact sheet posted by the US Embassy in Mexico a few days ago:

April 22, 2020

COVID-19 Related Travel Restrictions across the U.S. Borders with Canada and Mexico

• The United States will temporarily limit inbound land border crossings from Canada and Mexico to “essential travel”. 
  • This action does not prevent U.S. citizens from returning home. 
  • These restrictions are temporary and went into effect on March 21, 2020. They will remain in effect through 11:59 pm on May 19, 2020.  This decision has been coordinated with the Governments of Mexico and Canada. 
  • The following categories do not fall within the definition of “essential travel:” 
    • Individuals traveling for tourism purposes, such as sightseeing, recreation, gambling, or attending cultural events in the United States.

https://mx.usembassy.gov/wha-press-guidance/

And on a separate page of the same site:  "The United States and Mexico entered a joint initiative March 21 restricting non-essential travel along the U.S.-Mexico land border to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus.  On April 20, the initiative was extended for another 30 days.  Non-essential travel includes travel that is considered tourism or recreational in nature."

My understanding of this would be that if a US citizen tourist found themselves in Mexico, they could cross the border to get home; but not necessarily that they could decide to cross in the other direction, i.e., to Mexico, simply for reasons of tourism.  

If this is not the case, it is very poorly written...

4 hours ago, ren0312 said:

Will some countries or places like Taiwan, HK, Korea, and NZ that pursued stamp out the virus strategies instead if herd immunity, or have simply acted very early and effectively to contain and eradicate the virus from their population, and appear have managed to almost eliminate coronavirus from their countries, enact travel bans against people from countries like Sweden that have pursued herd immunity strategies with respect to coronavirus, that is the strategy of deliberately exposing their population to the virus in the hopes that their population will gain herd immunity? Or even if a vaccine is made, suppose it is not completely effective, will we see places like NZ and Australia basically ban people from countries where coronavirus has already been very widespread among the population like the US, UK, and Canada for the foreseeable future, even for those who have already been been vaccinated, such as cruise ship passengers, due to doubts about the vaccines effectiveness?  Also there is the possibility that coronavirus seems to be like herpes, that once you get it, you can never really flush it totally out of your body, and some virus will always remain in your body waiting to be reactivated and infect people again, so you will always be like a ticking time bomb waiting to reinfect unaware people.

I would hope that all counties on the planet would do so.However,that is not likely.

I can't answer for ports outside of Arizona, but essential travel here refers to many people who reside in one country and work in the other.  Also, there are a number of US citizens who reside in Mexico and need to travel back and forth on occasion.  I believe they have shut down the pedestrian crossing in Nogales, but the Mariposa crossing (truck route) is open and people are not experiencing any problems going back and forth.  That is where I always drive across.  People carry documents showing they reside in Mexico, in case they are questioned.  So far, I haven't heard of anyone from San Carlos being denied entry either coming or going.

13 hours ago, clo said:

Well, Italy has closed their borders to tourism for the remainder of 2020.

Not so. There are already EU-wide plans being put into place to reopen tourist areas in Spain, Portugal, Canaries, Balearics and Italy over the next few weeks/months. Spain are reopening in phases of two weeks each, to be reopened in the main in 6 to 8 weeks.

• Like 1

The thread title says "even with vaccines"

A vaccine, even if not 100% successful, would surely resolve the issue of international travel if near-as-dammit the whole world had been vaccinated.

You can then have a situation where visitors have to produce a vaccination certificate, much like a Yellow Fever certificate is required in some countries  in order to pass thro immigration.

The traveller has a vaccination & the locals have vaccinations, so the chances of infection are minimal - better than "herd immunity" - and mass-infection would be avoided.

And hopefully after 2 to 3 years that virus will have faded away much like the 1918 Spanish Flu did even without a vaccine.

I recall being vaccinated against polio many many decades ago & I think (?) that vaccination is no longer required for the masses.

As always, I stand to be corrected :classic_wink:

JB :classic_smile:

I was reading an article where they said some countries are contemplating forcing tourists to install tracking apps so if they turn out infected they contact trace easily. I think the reality is while tourism might be important an infectious disease outbreak can easily negate the economic benefits of tourism. Countries are probably going to put health ahead of tourism more than ever before so I can see restrictions and monitoring of tourism in the future. I don't think there will be permanent bans but I think every time there is an outbreak then countries will enact stricter border control including travel bans. 

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

The traveller has a vaccination & the locals have vaccinations, so the chances of infection are minimal - better than "herd immunity" - and mass-infection would be avoided.

And hopefully after 2 to 3 years that virus will have faded away much like the 1918 Spanish Flu did even without a vaccine.

I recall being vaccinated against polio many many decades ago & I think (?) that vaccination is no longer required for the masses.

As always, I stand to be corrected :classic_wink:

JB :classic_smile:

1)  Vaccination is just one way to get to herd immunity.  Not everyone will be vaccinated.  Not everyone CAN be vaccinated (allergic reactions), and not everyone vaccinated will develop immunity.  You immunize to get to herd immunity without killing so many people.

2) Not sure if the polio vaccine is required in the US (CDC does recommend that all children be vaccinated, to maintain herd immunity), however it is still endemic in parts of the world.  And even if you were vaccinated as a child, if you will be traveling to locations that might have it, it is recommended to get a one time adult booster.  And for a couple of places, with major polio outbreaks, I have seen recommendation for another booster.