Travel Insurance

propwash

As anybody had success at getting a refund on their travel insurance from a 3rd party insurer like Travel Guard because your cruise was cancelled by the cruise line 4 months before sail date?

Thanks

Danny

5 hours ago, propwash said:

As anybody had success at getting a refund on their travel insurance from a 3rd party insurer like Travel Guard because your cruise was cancelled by the cruise line 4 months before sail date?

Thanks

Danny

I don't think you're entitled to a refund.  You bought insurance in cases where you could not travel and you're going to be reimbursed by the cruise line for your expenses.  What more do you want? 

Do you mean a refund of the travel insurance premium? Most travel insurers will refund most or all of the premium paid if you cancel before your trip was due to commence and waive your right to claim under the policy.

I would check the policy terms and conditions if you haven’t passed the original commencement date.

13 hours ago, propwash said:

Check out this thread:

Edited by Jersey42

1 minute ago, Jersey42 said:

Check out this thread:

I was the one who started that thread and have now posted that I have a 100% credit from Travel Guard. However, it is a different circumstance. We cancelled our cruise and had only a refundable deposit, so nothing really at stake until final payment. Also our TA mentioned that the insurance would be refundable in our case due to NY state law, so that may very by state.

My travel insurance company gave me the option of a refund or being able to use the policy for up to 770 days.  I chose the latter because it won’t matter that I’ll be older when using or if I develop a medical issue that could be considered a pre-existing condition if a new policy were issued.

I received a full refund of my premium for my policy with Allianz once I had cancelled the April cruise.

I am not certain why they did this. Certainly the refund was far less than they might have paid out to reimburse lost expenses, although it seems the policy excluded epidemics anyway.

So far we have not actually lost any money. We got some direct refund from HAL with the rest put into FCC. Our airline tickets are also on hold for re-booking with no change penalties. However who knows if we will ever get to use these credits or if they will eventually be refunded somehow.

Probably the insurance company decided it was cheaper to refund the premium, since we never did travel, rather than risk having to pay more for potential losses in the future. Either that or they were just being nice.

If so, it is the first known case of an insurance company being nice. 🙄

Travel Guard has said I would get a refund of my premium. Told me the other day it should be within the next 2 weeks. They did specifically ask me if I planned to use the insurance to get a refund on my cruise. (I am not)The CS rep was very nice, helpful and seemed knowledgeable.

My travel insurance company (April Travel) just told me they were making a one time exception due to the Coronavirus.  Usually epidemics were not covered but these are exceptional times.  My premium payment was back on my credit card within 2 weeks as I recall.  I wish my refund from Holland America was so speedy.  Still waiting 43 days later...

3 hours ago, wyobean said:

Travel Guard has said I would get a refund of my premium. Told me the other day it should be within the next 2 weeks. They did specifically ask me if I planned to use the insurance to get a refund on my cruise. (I am not)The CS rep was very nice, helpful and seemed knowledgeable.

On 4/3 Travel Guard e-mailed me that my refund was being considered, and that it would take 15-20 business days. On 4/23 (14 business days later, I was sent an e-mail that I would get the refund but it might take 5-7 days to show up on my card. On 4/27 (2 business days later), I saw the refund when checking my credit card account online.

On 4/28/2020 at 9:00 PM, Sue from Canada said:

I don't think you're entitled to a refund.  You bought insurance in cases where you could not travel and you're going to be reimbursed by the cruise line for your expenses.  What more do you want? 

1st of all we purchased the insurance for trip interruption and medical emergencies. 2nd the trip and insurance effective date wasn't scheduled until August 12, 2020. 3rd HAL cancelled ALL land portions of Alaska cruises for 2020. I'm sure the Canadian government had something to do with part of it for the Yukon.

9 hours ago, propwash said:

1st of all we purchased the insurance for trip interruption and medical emergencies. 2nd the trip and insurance effective date wasn't scheduled until August 12, 2020. 3rd HAL cancelled ALL land portions of Alaska cruises for 2020. I'm sure the Canadian government had something to do with part of it for the Yukon.

Hi propwash,

Your trip cancellation plan's effective date should have been the day after you bought it.

Which policy did you buy?

Steve Dasseos

21 hours ago, Cindy said:

I use Travel Insured through USAA for my travel insurance. I am able to get a refund, a voucher for future travel, or I can simply move the policy if I reschedule.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Cindy,

Did Travel Insured recently tell you thay would refund you the premium you paid for your policy? They changed their procedures a month ago, though it's possible USAA is offering the refund.

Steve Dasseos

We had coverage through US Fire for our April cruise. I cancelled the cruise, accepting HAL's offer of 50% refund and 50%FCC. The broker we bought the policy from contacted US Fire and they refunded our entire insurance premium.
In retrospect, I probably should not have cancelled the policy because I have my doubts that HAL is ever going to refund our credit card. Not sure if I would have had any recourse through the insurance, but it did cover bankruptcy of carriers.

14 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Cindy,

Did Travel Insured recently tell you thay would refund you the premium you paid for your policy? They changed their procedures a month ago, though it's possible USAA is offering the refund.

Steve Dasseos

I did everything on the website. At one point I know I saw the refund option, but it's no longer there. They are still offering date changes and vouchers.

Generali Insurance--has anyone gotten a Voucher for a future booking of Travel Insurance?  I have received a Voucher Request Number, but can't seem to get beyond that either via website or phone calls.  I also booked with Insuremytrip.com and  have always been happy with their products offer and service.  

30 minutes ago, mskitty1 said:

Generali Insurance--has anyone gotten a Voucher for a future booking of Travel Insurance?  I have received a Voucher Request Number, but can't seem to get beyond that either via website or phone calls.  I also booked with Insuremytrip.com and  have always been happy with their products offer and service.  

I got a voucher but haven't tried to use it yet. The confirmation that I submitted the request has a Voucher Request Number, but the email that I had been approved didn't have any sort of Voucher Number, only the amount. It says to call them directly so I assume it can't be done online.

I have gotten the email that says I have been approved giving a number call to rebook, but it states that they will apply my VOUCHER.  Only have a voucher request number.  And when I call (2 x's today) I've been on hold for upto 30 minutes and then get a recording saying they are busy and I should call back.  

Finally got through to Generali Travel Insurance today after waiting (again) for almost 30 minutes.  Was told that YES I did need a Voucher # before I can apply the $$$ to a future cruise.  This process should take 10 business days--for me it has been 17 business days and still NO voucher.  I demanded to speak with a Supervisor which did NOT happen since it was a Saturday.  Agent says that sent an email to the supervisor and I should hear by next Wednesday.  UGH!!!! This is getting frustrating!  I have also send emails to any email address that I can find for Customer Service.  The saga continues....

1 hour ago, mskitty1 said:

Finally got through to Generali Travel Insurance today after waiting (again) for almost 30 minutes.  Was told that YES I did need a Voucher # before I can apply the $$$ to a future cruise.  This process should take 10 business days--for me it has been 17 business days and still NO voucher.  I demanded to speak with a Supervisor which did NOT happen since it was a Saturday.  Agent says that sent an email to the supervisor and I should hear by next Wednesday.  UGH!!!! This is getting frustrating!  I have also send emails to any email address that I can find for Customer Service.  The saga continues....

In your state, there must be a State Attorney General and also some regulatory body for insurance. I would say if you do not hear by Wednesday, it might just be time to get them involved. Make sure you document every contact with them,

1 hour ago, mskitty1 said:

That's weird... I've gotten nothing since the email that my request for a voucher was approved on 4/14 (13 business days ago) which didn't have the voucher number in it. I didn't even notice it says you need a voucher number until you replied to this thread. Looks like this is going to be a hassle for me too...