SS Future Re-Open Plan: Timing, Testing Needs??!!

TLCOhio

22 hours ago, chrism23 said:

Gees Terry, you actually look young getting jabbed than in picture in the posts you use.  😀😃

So above, are you saying covering my face with a mask helps my looks and makes me seem younger??  Guilty as charged!!  I look in the mirror and recognize the realities of time. 

Major financial and re-opening news this morning from Royal Caribbean that might affect Silversea and/or be of significant interest.  Both of these are media releases from the company.  We will see later how the media treats this "news".    

From the Wall Street Journal this morning, the company press release had this headline: Royal Caribbean Group announces proposed offering of common stock with these highlights: “Royal Caribbean Group today announced that it has commenced an underwritten public offering of $1.5 billion of shares of common stock of the Company. The Company expects to use the net proceeds from the offering for general corporate purposes.”

Bottom Line?:  More money!!  Longer and better ability to cover future "cash burn"!!  The RCL stock value was down significantly this morning (even when the overall market was up big-time) as those financial experts recognize this effort waters down even more the stockholder "value" of Royal Caribbean.  However, CASH IS GOOD if a re-opening is going to take longer than desired and expected eleven months ago as the shut-down started.

Also, this morning, there was this headline: “Royal Caribbean Says "Shalom, Israel" With Odyssey Of The Seas Debut” with these highlights: “Israeli holidaymakers will set a new course for adventure this summer when Royal Caribbean International begins sailing from Israel for the first time in May. The global cruise line will offer Israelis a combination of 3- to 7-night escapes visiting the Greek Isles and Cyprus on board its highly anticipated, brand-new ship, Odyssey of the Seas. The new sailings will go on sale on Tuesday, March 9.  The itineraries, roundtrip from Haifa, Israel, will include visits to idyllic isles and destinations in the Mediterranean, including Rhodes, Santorini, Mykonos and Athens, Greece and Limassol, Cyprus.”  

Michael Bayley, president and CEO, Royal Caribbean International said. "Sailing from Israel is an opportunity we have had our sights on for quite some time. We greatly appreciate the government of Israel for their collaboration and confidence, and look forward to delivering on that promise aboard our newest ship -- the first 'Green Island' at sea."   The RCL release also said: "Residents of Israel will be the first guests to cruise on Odyssey during its inaugural season."

ALSO:  "Thanks to the millions of vaccines we have brought, I am proud that Israel will be the first country in the world to launch Royal Caribbean's new flagship. Royal Caribbean's decision to come to Israel is a significant expression of confidence in our policy. This is an important economic, touristic moment for the State of Israel," said Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in this release.  AND, this "little detail" was cited: "In conjunction with Israel's health and tourism authorities, Royal Caribbean will be the first to offer fully vaccinated sailings, where both crew and guests above the age of 16 will be vaccinated against COVID-19." 

Israel has been a world leader in getting vaccines accomplished at a wide, "herd immunity" level.  Interesting development?  Other reactions and questions?  A sign for what is come for the future around the world?

Full release details at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/royal-caribbean-group-announces-proposed-offering-of-common-stock-01614611108?tesla=y

https://www.wsj.com/articles/royal-caribbean-says-shalom-israel-with-odyssey-of-the-seas-debut-01614585962?tesla=y

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 19,445 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Here is how the Washington Post has its breaking news headline early this afternoon: Royal Caribbean is starting fully vaccinated’ cruises from Israel" with this sub-headline: "Half of Israel’s citizens have already received one shot of the two-dose vaccine, making the country a prime spot for a cruise restart”.

Here are some of their story highlights: As cruise lines await an uncertain future in the United States, one major player is announcing plans to sail from Israel with vaccinated passengers and crew.  Royal Caribbean International announced Monday morning that its newest ship, Odyssey of the Seas, will start sailing from Haifa in May with Israeli passengers. The operator said it will be the first to offer 'fully vaccinated sailings,' with crew and passengers older than 16 required to have a full course of the vaccine against covid-19.”

Here is more from this newspaper's reporting: "The Washington Post reported on Sunday that Israel has the fastest per capita pace of vaccinations of any country, with 4.6 million people — out of a population of about 9 million — getting at least one shot so far. More than a third of the population has gotten both doses."

Will this be an example for the future of cruising around the world?

Full story at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2021/03/01/cruise-vaccine-royal-caribbean-israel/

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 252,962 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• Thanks 1

From the Washington Post as their website's lead story this morning, they had this headline: Johnson & Johnson vaccine deepens concerns over racial and geographic inequities" with this sub-headline: "Governors weigh ease of use against perception of a two-tiered system if new coronavirus vaccine is deployed primarily to harder-to-reach communities”.

Here are some of their story/analysis highlights: “The nation has a third weapon to wield against the coronavirus, and this one doesn’t need to be kept frozen or followed by a booster shot.  Those attributes of Johnson & Johnson’s coronavirus vaccine, which gained regulatory clearance on Saturday, promise to help state and local officials quell the pandemic punishing their communities. First, however, they will need to determine its place in an expanding anti-virus arsenal, where it joins vaccines with sky-high efficacy rates that are still in short supply.  Decisions to send the shots to harder-to-reach communities make practical sense, because Johnson & Johnson’s single-shot vaccine is easier to store and use. But they could drive perceptions of a two-tiered vaccine system, riven along racial or class lines — with marginalized communities getting what they think is an inferior product.  The issue came up on a recent call between governors and Biden administration officials coordinating the country’s coronavirus response. Gov. Charlie Baker, a Massachusetts Republican and former health insurance executive, stressed the need for prominent health officials to communicate clearly about the benefits of the one-shot vaccine, according to three people who heard his remarks and spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a private conversation.  The apparent differences, Baker said, could nonetheless create uncomfortable questions for state and local leaders promoting the new vaccine to people who might ask, as one person paraphrased his comments, 'Why didn’t you give us the good stuff?

Having more vaccine options is good, BUT, this story raises some interesting and serious policy questions.  Here is more from this story: "In North Dakota, which has achieved one of the fastest rates of inoculation, Gov. Doug Burgum said the new product intensified concerns not just about 'vaccine hesitancy, but the potential for brand hesitancy as well.' The problem has been on display in Germany, where some residents are shunning shots developed by AstraZeneca in favor of those made by Pfizer-BioNTech, because of the different levels of protection reported in clinical trials, according to officials there."

Reactions and comments?

Full story at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/03/01/johnson-and-johnson-vaccine-distribution-disparities/

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 241,393 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Just got off the phone with my Doc and although I have type 2 diabetes they said they have no

control over when I can get a shot....so basically that underlying condition does not put me in

position to get one since I am under 65.  Oh well,  hopefully they will be expanding the age group sometime this month and will get one at that time.

Will just wait my turn like everyone else.

5 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Just got off the phone with my Doc and although I have type 2 diabetes they said they have no control over when I can get a shot....so basically that underlying condition does not put me in position to get one since I am under 65.  Oh well,  hopefully they will be expanding the age group sometime this month and will get one at that time. Will just wait my turn like everyone else.

Hi, Lois!  Come on up to our state!!  

Our Governor (who is often on national TV about this issue) just announced this afternoon: "Ohioans age 60 and older and those with certain conditions or professions that put them at risk of contracting COVID-19 can receive the vaccine starting Thursday.   In phase 1C, the list of conditions includes:  Those with Type 1 diabetes.  Pregnant women.  Bone marrow transplant recipients.  Those with Lou Gehrig's disease, also known as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or ALS.   Ohio will also vaccinate people in these professions:  Law enforcement and corrections officers, including active duty police officers with at least 20 hours of service, corrections staff, including probation and parole staff and firefighters with an active certificate.  Retired, reserve or “special” forces are not included but volunteer firefighters are included.   Child care services employees, including teachers, administrators and substitutes enrolled in Ohio’s Professional Registry who currently work in child care and pre-Kindergarten programs.  Funeral services employees, including embalmers and morticians, funeral home directors, crematory operators and apprentices."

Our Governor noted that 93% of the covid death in our states have been with people age 60+.  It is still challenged right now, but with the J&J vaccine, thing are improving and opening up more.  By mid-April, things will be even better and looking more promising.  That is what my crude crystal ball shows.  Right or wrong? 

More at: 

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/politics/2021/03/01/johnson-johnson-covid-19-vaccines-their-way-ohio-ramps-up-shots/6867243002/

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 232,536 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

3 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Here is how the Washington Post has its breaking news headline early this afternoon: Royal Caribbean is starting fully vaccinated’ cruises from Israel" with this sub-headline: "Half of Israel’s citizens have already received one shot of the two-dose vaccine, making the country a prime spot for a cruise restart”.

Here are some of their story highlights: As cruise lines await an uncertain future in the United States, one major player is announcing plans to sail from Israel with vaccinated passengers and crew.  Royal Caribbean International announced Monday morning that its newest ship, Odyssey of the Seas, will start sailing from Haifa in May with Israeli passengers. The operator said it will be the first to offer 'fully vaccinated sailings,' with crew and passengers older than 16 required to have a full course of the vaccine against covid-19.”

Here is more from this newspaper's reporting: "The Washington Post reported on Sunday that Israel has the fastest per capita pace of vaccinations of any country, with 4.6 million people — out of a population of about 9 million — getting at least one shot so far. More than a third of the population has gotten both doses."

Full story at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2021/03/01/cruise-vaccine-royal-caribbean-israel/

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 252,962 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Israel has done and incredible job vaccinating its citizens except for the haredim.  As has NYC with its large Orthodox ppopulation.  One of my best friends lives in Jerusalem and I have spent some time there. I do not, for one second see or conceive of a crew comprised of Israeli's.  Their level of education, of individuals with secondary degrees of Israel approaches any country in the world.  Their computer and IT skills are second to none.  I don't see a guy with a Ph.D from MIT being a butler for Silversea.  And even more so, many Israelis without an advanced degree are warriors.  I think I have more awe and respect for Israel than any other country in the world.  If only their could get rid of their Gaza problem.  Whoever thought this one up is nuts.  

First I want to thank those of you who have been helping with information and suggestions.🙂

Next, our Governor has now updated the "Eligibility List" and now those under 65 with underlying conditions/vulnerabilities can get a shot starting tomorrow!

I was able to reach my Oncologist and he will be able to give me a Dr's Note.

(I am in remission thankfully) and take meds to keep it that way.

I am picking up the note this afternoon and so I can try to sign up for a vaccine asap👍

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 8:31 PM, TLCOhio said:

Yes, we had the fastest per capita roll out of the vaccines (mainly the older population, who was eager to get immunity knowing their risks), but now, when it is open for all over 16, it is significantly slowing down... The youngest are plainly not interested.

Besides, we are a very young country, more than a million kids, so we are a long way from herd immunity. 

On 3/1/2021 at 9:23 PM, Lois R said:

Terry, quite interesting for sure.  I wonder how many passengers will sail?

There is a huge enthusiasm for those cruises, the travel agents are overwhelmed with people interested in booking. It was published just yesterday afternoon [local time].

For years Israelis were longing for a reputable cruise line which will start and end cruises in Israel, eliminating the need (and expenses) of flying.

We're surrounded by 4 countries -- Syria and Lebanon, no relations whatsoever, and Jordan and Egypt -- "cold relations" / no tourism recommended.

Our only option is flying out....

23 hours ago, chrism23 said:

I do not, for one second see or conceive of a crew comprised of Israelis.  

An Israeli crew in definitely not in the cards. Only Israelis (mainly security) who are already long time employees of Royal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I got my shot and everything went well!😀 I got Moderna and having my 2nd shot on April 1st.

And it was really easy peasy!  There wasn't even a line!  And the Pharmacist was really nice too.

So far so good!!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Had both now (Pfizer) and zero reaction. Well BOTH arms ached last weekend, but I put that down to the work down in the garden and being unfit! Son had his yesterday (AZ) and he's had to take the day off due to sleepless night, fever, aches and pains and tiredness.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, worldtraveller99 said:

Just had 1st shot AZ - so far no pain or reaction at all. Have volunteered my husband to do the food shopping tomorrow just in case feel bad then!

Though no comfort to know, (and please someone clarify if this is wrong), but a reaction with AZ is meant to be a good sign that your antibodies are kicking in to fight the vaccine virus?

1 hour ago, les37b said:

Though no comfort to know, (and please someone clarify if this is wrong), but a reaction with AZ is meant to be a good sign that your antibodies are kicking in to fight the vaccine virus?

It's a sign, yes. Good, too? Sure. It's a side effect of the inflammatory cascade ganging up on that foreign protein and destroying it.

BUT I am cautious in saying that for two reasons. One, because the opposite isn't true. That is, if you don't get a robust reaction, that doesn't mean that the vaccine isn't working. So I try not to emphasize that the reaction is the only sign that it's working. You can destroy a foreign protein and make antibodies even if you don't get a fever and feel crummy.

And two,, some have taken it to the extremes and recommended not treating the reaction with NSAIDs or acetaminophen, so as to not blunt the immune response. It's based on questionable logic that makes very little sense to me.

Generally, the younger you are, the more likely you are to get a robust reaction. Chris is 9 months younger than I am, so hers was naturally more impressive than mine! 😉 She had to take a sick day after the second dose. My first dose made me feel worse than my second one. Weird.

So glad to hear of all these vaccines being given, though. That's the best news I've had in the past year. Keep getting jabbed, everyone! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, the only thing I am experiencing this morning is a sore arm but it is not anything terrible.

I did have a bit of an issue last night (I normally fall asleep on my side and it is the 

side I had the shot) and that did cause  some discomfort so I had to change which side, 

no big deal really. But I must say, I slept well once I was out! 

Will see how things go after the 2nd shot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, jpalbny said:

It's a sign, yes. Good, too? Sure. It's a side effect of the inflammatory cascade ganging up on that foreign protein and destroying it.

BUT I am cautious in saying that for two reasons. One, because the opposite isn't true. That is, if you don't get a robust reaction, that doesn't mean that the vaccine isn't working. So I try not to emphasize that the reaction is the only sign that it's working. You can destroy a foreign protein and make antibodies even if you don't get a fever and feel crummy.

And two,, some have taken it to the extremes and recommended not treating the reaction with NSAIDs or acetaminophen, so as to not blunt the immune response. It's based on questionable logic that makes very little sense to me.

Generally, the younger you are, the more likely you are to get a robust reaction. Chris is 9 months younger than I am, so hers was naturally more impressive than mine! 😉 She had to take a sick day after the second dose. My first dose made me feel worse than my second one. Weird.

So glad to hear of all these vaccines being given, though. That's the best news I've had in the past year. Keep getting jabbed, everyone! 

Cheers JP .....And makes complete sense. I'm sure you didn't think I'd suggested if you got no reaction it hadn't worked.  My reference was to those who did get a reaction was that it was a good sign..... But was posted in the hope you would respond and did right on cue you did and is great reassurance for everyone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1