SS Future Re-Open Plan: Timing, Testing Needs??!!

TLCOhio

17 hours ago, chrism23 said:

Terry, you are through.. I just can't buy the PR from Royal Caribbean.  As of this moment no one knows how long there current vaccines are good for, and whether they are effective against the new variants that seem to be popping up every day.  What is commonly referred to as the British strain, B.1.1.7 is on its way to becoming the dominant strain world wide and it is a relative novel beast.   As of this moment there are 7 identified strains of the virus and 6 of them have not been thoroughly studied.  There is just too much that is unknown to immerse yourself in a closed environment for 7 days.  Second, kids under 18 cannot be exempt.  The virus can infect kids.  A kid under 18 can become symptomatic and very ill even on a 7 day cruise, which would require RC to have ICU capacity on their ships.  A PCR test only establish negativity when it is given.  Again there are some indications that some of the new strains effect younger people more than current editions.  Also the articles do not say what vaccines are going to be used for the crews.  I doubt RC is going to be able to purchase Pfizer or Moderna on the open market, and right now I wouldn't trust Sputnik a whole helluva a lot.  I could go on, but the bottom line remains there is just too much we don't know.

Changing the subject slightly.  The post above that mentions Sanotize as being so effective.  The primary ingredient is Sanotize is nitric oxide  which is sold over the counter as a supplement.  There are multiple brands.  This gives me 0 confidence in its efficacy in combating Covid.  

I posted the reference to Sanotize.   I was more to give an idea of what in a perfect world would be "safe" normal return to cruising. 1.  Vaccine requirements ( which prevent serious and deadly outcomes should one be infected).  2.  Testing, to catch any errant cases, and 3.  Treatment. Easy , cheap, no infusions or complicated procedures.  

Sanotize was used as an example to illustrate what a treatment would look like, that a ships doctor could carry on-board and easily dispense.

I am one of those Crystal cruisers  who has booked 2 weeks in the Bahamas just to get on a ship again.   Do I want to go to the Bahamas?  No.  Do I want to be on a Crystal ship?  Yes.

Contrary to what has been posted here, I posted on the Crystal boards that the situation in Europe is now such that Europe in the summer or early fall does NOT seem likely -- making the Bahamas cruises all the more tempting for those of us who just want to be a ship.

Apart from that, we have booked our first Silversea cruise for mid Nov -- a TA from Lisbon.  Portugal is closed to tourists now.  Any idea if this cruise will be a go?  I am hoping some of the Silversea experts know more about this than I do (not a high bar)

Appreciate ALL of these various comments and follow-ups.  Keep it coming!!

From the Wall Street Journal this morning, they had this headline: “Americans Are Ready to Travel. But Where Can They Go?" with this sub-headline: "Domestic travel rebound is expected to outpace international recovery, as barriers to cross-border trips persist.”

Here are some of the story highlights: “Americans are looking to get out of town after a year of virus-related travel restrictions. Figuring out where they can go, and what will be open when they get there, remains tricky—for both would-be tourists and travel companies.  Signs that consumers are ready to travel again are growing, with rising searches for airfares and activity on booking sites. Travel companies are providing tools to help make sense of restrictions and spur bookings, but a hazy outlook for international trips suggests domestic destinations will see the strongest demand.”

Many questions came up in this story, including: "Which countries will allow Americans in? Would they face a lengthy quarantine, or be putting others at risk? How safe are layovers?"

Also from this reporting: "Airbnb CEO Brian Chesky, who pivoted the company’s strategy to focus on local stays during the pandemic, said visits to its website have soared in recent weeks. Searches on the site indicated people were unsure where or when they wanted to go, he said on an earnings call last month.  The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention still recommends against nonessential travel. CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said rising airport passenger numbers are concerning and pleaded with people to wait.  'Every time that there’s a surge in travel, we have a surge in cases in this country,' she said at a press briefing earlier this month.  Vrbo said many families had already booked rentals for the summer, earlier than ever. The company said it is designing a feature that would allow family members to save their favorite rentals.  Most home-rental bookings in the U.S. this year are along the coast, near lakes, mountains or in suburban areas—a sharp departure from the big cities that were the most frequented by travelers before the pandemic, AirDNA data show.  The outlook for international trips is less certain.  Many countries around the world have closed their borders to tourists or have onerous and costly quarantine requirements. More than half of international air routes have been closed or suspended, according to the International Air Transport Association."

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/americans-are-ready-to-travel-but-where-can-they-go-11616319003?mod=hp_lead_pos7

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 51,138 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

I just want to add that it is still only March 2021, and there are weeks and weeks until the summer. While I am not usually someone who books at short notice, let's not worry too much now about what will be possible then. Because we don't know this!

I am assuming nothing international will be possible, have booked a stay in England, and if it changes I could book a short break at the time. 

But if this goes into 2022 I will be going crazy too!

2 hours ago, bitob said:

Apart from that, we have booked our first Silversea cruise for mid Nov -- a TA from Lisbon.  Portugal is closed to tourists now.  Any idea if this cruise will be a go?  I am hoping some of the Silversea experts know more about this than I do (not a high bar)

I presume you are on Silver Dawn which is scheduled to then carry on to South America for a few months. Even if Portugal is open by November will SS want or be willing to let your cruise go given that it could well be sending the ship to an unproductive part of the world in terms of cruise revenue? My feeling is that for you to have a chance of sailing you will need Mediterranean Europe, U.S.A and South America to be open.

Dearly hope I am wrong but I am just looking for Mediterranean Europe to be open as I am due to disembark Silver Shadow in Lisbon in November and with an optimistic view rate my chances as less than 50/50. If I had to consider other areas as well then the chances only get worse.

You ask if you cruise will go and all I can say is ask again in August and any guesses then will me slightly more chance of being right than they are now. Just think how things can change from month to month, we can only live in hope.

I am booked on  a cruise that sails out of Lisbon in October.  Who knows if it will sail.....nobody

at this point in time.  So when you ask do you think that the Nov crossing will take place, to be

honest with you,  nobody on here can give you any answers. 

4 hours ago, bitob said:

I am one of those Crystal cruisers  who has booked 2 weeks in the Bahamas just to get on a ship again.   Do I want to go to the Bahamas?  No.  Do I want to be on a Crystal ship?  Yes.

Contrary to what has been posted here, I posted on the Crystal boards that the situation in Europe is now such that Europe in the summer or early fall does NOT seem likely -- making the Bahamas cruises all the more tempting for those of us who just want to be a ship.

Hi,🙂 do you know how the cruise is selling? Just curious if and how fast it will sell out. I have 

never cruised on Crystal but have always looked at it.............

4 hours ago, bitob said:

I am one of those Crystal cruisers  who has booked 2 weeks in the Bahamas just to get on a ship again.   Do I want to go to the Bahamas?  No.  Do I want to be on a Crystal ship?  Yes.  Contrary to what has been posted here, I posted on the Crystal boards that the situation in Europe is now such that Europe in the summer or early fall does NOT seem likely -- making the Bahamas cruises all the more tempting for those of us who just want to be a ship.

Agree as to your comments and follow-up regarding the uncertain Europe situation.  BUT, I repeat my earlier caution about risking too much money in deposits and payments with Crystal.  There is financial uncertainty with all cruise lines.  The challenges and questions with Crystal, however, are much deeper than as apply to other cruise lines.  Buyer beware!!  We had a very good experience with Crystal in 2008 for the Baltics and Russia.  Now, however, their ownership and finances today are very much different.  Can provide more specifics if needed.  

From the New York Post this afternoon, they had this headline: “Ex-FDA head warns COVID-19 variant could infect vaccinated New Yorkers” with these highlights: “New York’s homegrown COVID-19 variant may be infecting people who have already had the virus — or even been vaccinated, the former head of the Food and Drug Administration said Sunday.  Dr. Scott Gottlieb said it remains unclear if the COVID-19 variant, known as B.1.526, is driving viral surges in Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island.  'What we don’t understand with 1.526 is whether or not people are being re-infected with it and whether or not people who might have been vaccinated are now getting infected with it,' Gottlieb told CBS anchor Margaret Brennan on 'Face the Nation.'  Gottlieb said the federal government’s vaccine effort should serve as a 'backstop' against another wave of COVID-19 cases — but warned that pushes to reopen business by officials in New York and other states could result in an 'uptick' in cases.”

Dr. Gottlieb's warnings are of significance as he has been a top medical advisor to Royal Caribbean and NCLH for their "Healthy Return to Sailing" program  That effort was designed to convince the CDC and customers to be able and confident to resume cruise operations.  

The many questions for VARIANTS are rising super fast "with a bullet" as a growing concern of major importance.  Right or wrong?

Full story at:

https://nypost.com/2021/03/21/new-yorks-covid-variant-may-infect-vaccinated-residents/

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Kotor/Montenegro:  Exciting visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this scenic, historic location. Over 48,189 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi,🙂 do you know how the cruise is selling? Just curious if and how fast it will sell out. I have 

never cruised on Crystal but have always looked at it.............

There have been many articles -- Crystal had its biggest sale day ever when these Bahamas cruises opened up.  Many Crystal cruisers are doing b2b -- some doing 42 nights!!!  (not for me)

There is plenty of information on the Crystal boards as well as links to those articles.

Crystal requires vaccines for everyone and Serenity will be outfitted with a full Covid testing lab.  For many of us who just want to go SOMEWHERE, these cruises are very appealing.  Just being on a Crystal ship will be enough for me, even if I never disembark.!

Good afternoon.........looks like Royal Caribbean is getting pushback from customers about

needing a vaccine if you want to cruise with them........see the article below:

Royal Caribbean Faces Boycott Calls as Only Vaccinated Adults Allowed on Cruise Ships (msn.com)

I tried to edit that last post but it was too late.......what I was going to say there are going to be

people who won't cruise again at all and  that is their choice.  I think most of the cruise lines

are going to require vaccinations and for those folks who won't get one? They will have to find

another way to travel. Boycott, whatever......

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

I tried to edit that last post but it was too late.......what I was going to say there are going to be

people who won't cruise again at all and  that is their choice.  I think most of the cruise lines

are going to require vaccinations and for those folks who won't get one? They will have to find

another way to travel. Boycott, whatever......

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good afternoon.........looks like Royal Caribbean is getting pushback from customers about

needing a vaccine if you want to cruise with them........see the article below:

Royal Caribbean Faces Boycott Calls as Only Vaccinated Adults Allowed on Cruise Ships (msn.com)

Oh, please, let it be so!

2 hours ago, drron29 said:

I hope we are sailing again in 2022 on a Siversea ship where all the passengers and crew are vaccinated.

Although we aren’t yet due to age, I promise we will be before we see you and rojann in Singapore.

1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

I don't think I know a single person who has taken this anti whatever position.

Don’t fool yourself, there are millions and that is not an overstatement.  It’s not just a fascinating study in social science, but politics as well.  While politics should play no part in the equation, it does for literally millions upon millions of U.S. citizens.  And, unless companies stick to their guns and refuse service to the unvaccinated, their ranks will swell, unfortunately.

Good morning,  there is a poll on the "ASK A CRUISE QUESTION" forum about how long folks will wait to cruise after being vaccinated.

If you want to take a look at it....it is about 7 or 8 pages long by now.

The majority of folks want to get a shot (if not already have)......but there are several who

say no way.  It is not worth it to get into a P****match with them about it.   If the cruise lines

mandate a vaccine and you are person who won't get one then I guess you just won't sail. FULL STOP.

• Like 1

Totally agree Lois.Our UK Government should have made it compulsory to have the Vaccine to protect the whole population.As long as a quarter of our population refuse we are all at risk.Same regulations should apply to the Cruising industry to keep everyone safe.

1 hour ago, SummmerInKefalonia said:

Silver Moon will be redeployed to Eastern Med exclusively to start cruises from Piraeus Athens for the summer 2021

Wondering if this is the first news to signal that our 21 June cruise from Barcelona to Rome is not going to happen. 

Everyone I know from my cruising life will refuse to get on any ship if vaccination is not a requirement.  Of course all these cruise friends of mine are older and sail only on premium and luxury lines.  I do not think there will be a problem convincing those cruisers to be vaccinated -- largely mature at risk adults.

When you get to the mass market lines I think that some among that somewhat younger and more diverse demographic will resist vaccination.  Those cruise lines have more to gain and less to lose by requiring vaccinations