Should RCL buy part of NCL?

Life Buoy

Just now, Mr. Click said:

I totally agree with you. There are lots of options, lots of ways to make a deal but right now I don't see RCL or any other cruise company having the cash to make a deal.  The big question remains if NCL goes into bankruptcy would they go chapter 11 and try to reorganize or just give it up and go chapter 7,  I?f they went Chapter 7 then we could see a fire sale on assets.   Airplanes can be parked in the desert but parking cruise ships? wow that would be really expensive.

Manmade reefs...

Cruise lines rcl and ccl can not take on the xtra debt that would be needed to by parts or all of ncl.  As such it is for many companies.  To many don’t grasp what is happening and the cause and effect of how long businesses are shut down.  I have a few friends who own or invest in a bunch of restaurants, 1/2 will not be reopening when things start opening up.  The healthcare system I work in has had to stop expansion plans for another 90 bed wing, its badly needed for the population.  Where we are at is a scary place.  Cruise lines to get back up and running wil take time and in meantime the companies are probably burning 200 plus mil or more cash a month.  No way can they buy ncl. 

• Like 1

In a word “no”. All of the cruise lines are in survival mode and IMHO it’s only going to get worse. I do not like the idea of any cruise line going under but I think it will happen. I also don’t think that some of Carnival’s brands will make it. Princess has had some major damage done to its image and has a lot of work to do to turn it around. It will be a while before the cruise industry is back on its feet again. 

1 hour ago, markeb said:

Manmade reefs...

The problem with that idea is you can't bring them back into service like you can an airplane sitting in the desert.  It would aslo cost a fortune to get one of those ships ready to sink in an enviornmentally safe way

33 minutes ago, Mr. Click said:

The problem with that idea is you can't bring them back into service like you can an airplane sitting in the desert.  It would aslo cost a fortune to get one of those ships ready to sink in an enviornmentally safe way

5 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

What nonsense!   The Chinese are more than ready to buy ships.   If they didn’t, they are sailed to India and scrapped out.   The last thing we need is more plastic in the Oceans.  Ships need to be recycled.

A little bit of random sarcasm, I'm afraid. I actually can't imagine what it would take to make a modern cruise ship ready to scuttle into a reef. Probably as much as she'd cost!

Out of service cruise ships tend to get sold somewhere down the line? What happens when they truly do reach end of service? That's not really part of this thread, but it's an interesting question to me. Do most of them get salvaged in India?

Forgetting the financial considerations (it would take quite a magician to be able to put together merger or more likely an acquisition given current economic conditions, RCL financials and the low percieved consumer demand into the foreseeable future) I would hate to see the Oceania brand marginalized as I'm sure it would be if it joined the RCL stable. Also, I've only sailed Silversea pre RCL days and have gotten the impression from friends we've sailed with and many CC comments that RCL is doing a great job making Silversea less special. Again in fairness, I've only sailed them pre RCL days and thought they were tremendous. At their price point, I'm not going to be a guinea pig to check things out. 

Good heavens no.

RCCL is up to their eyebrows in debt now and will likely need another infusion or two.  In what is going to be a collapsing market.  And no way they take Oceania.  That is why Azamara was born.  RCCL attempted to buy Oceania, FDR told them to pound salt, and they started Azamara (as a subsidiary of =X=), to get back at FDR. And that was when the cruise market was expanding, something unlikely in the next 5 years or more.

NCL raised 2B$ by having 2 ships and its 2 private island as collateral. The fund provider knows what it's doing.

NCL will emerge from any bankcrupcy but a lot smaller. It can dispose of many ships as each one of them is a company by itself.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1513761/000119312511188844/dex211.htm?fbclid=IwAR3xoxzm_efTCYg0bjZYC-7gatAuMvDOVsnKkX2cyQlze0imTTQCu3-T3KI