NCL at it again... love to hear all the NCL lovers weigh in on this one.......

Theboss17

Yes, this is in every crew contract with every cruise line.  And, while the number of "stranded" crew on cruise ships continues to drop as cruise lines charter aircraft, and sail their ships with crew back to their home countries, the number of other merchant mariners, worldwide, who are not allowed to crew change, both in the US and around the world, continues to increase by 100,000 every month.  That's my agenda.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

There are some not very nice people on this thread. People are allowed to disagree, have different opinions and express them. It is unseemly for 3 or 4 people to gang up on someone because they do not like their opinion. There is no rule that one has to like NCL to post in this forum.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, trummy said:

There are some not very nice people on this thread. People are allowed to disagree, have different opinions and express them. It is unseemly for 3 or 4 people to gang up on someone because they do not like their opinion. There is no rule that one has to like NCL to post in this forum.

And there is no rule that you need to continue to read the thread.  I claim to be one of those "not nice people".  

• Like 2

Despite many statements that the crew are not being paid, the crew do have recourse in the Manila Labor Convention, which NCL and all lines have to abide by as their flag states are signatory to it.  In cases of deferred repatriation, the crew will be entitled to minimum base wage, and they can all start a class action suit, if required, with the maritime ambulance chasers in Miami (one of the few times I see that they could do some good). 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, this is in every crew contract with every cruise line.  And, while the number of "stranded" crew on cruise ships continues to drop as cruise lines charter aircraft, and sail their ships with crew back to their home countries, the number of other merchant mariners, worldwide, who are not allowed to crew change, both in the US and around the world, continues to increase by 100,000 every month.  That's my agenda.

Why isn’t anything being done to help the Merchant Marine crews?

1 hour ago, trummy said:

You stir the pot with some off the wall opinion then you get opinions back.  That isn't being 'not nice'. 

Edited by ray98
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pinkie60 said:

Why isn’t anything being done to help the Merchant Marine crews?

Because they happen one or two at a time, not in lots of a hundred like cruise ships, and because merchant ships are invisible to most everyone, even though 80% of the world's trade travels by sea.  Many business experts warn of global economic slowdown when these crew reach their statutory maximum time on a ship, and the ships stop moving for lack of crew.

What is even worse is what the US government is doing to US citizens, on US government owned vessels, in US ports.

https://news.usni.org/2020/04/30/civilian-mariners-file-grievance-over-military-sealift-command-covid-19-restrictions

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Theboss17 said:

So in the news again "Crew stuck for weeks on board Norwegian Cruise Line ship threatened with 'prosecution by shoreside authorities' ..  here is the article .. Lets hear it NCL defenders .. lol..  

https://news.yahoo.com/leaked-audio-crew-stuck-weeks-212320510.html  ......

I don't get what the story is? Many companies prohibit employees talking/posting about the company. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KSSS2013 said:

I don't get what the story is? Many companies prohibit employees talking/posting about the company. 

There basically is no story other than the OP obviously does not like NCL and likes to stir NCL cruisers up, IMHO.

• Like 4

Just now, Diver2014 said:

There basically is no story other than the OP obviously does not like NCL and likes to stir NCL cruisers up, IMHO.

I suppose people are bored these days not being able to cruise...might as well stir things up here.

I just think if you are not an immediate part of the solution, not sure why you would make a post to point out all that is going wrong.  A lot is going wrong.  Look around.  I would imagine NCL is feeding these folks and they have a place to stay - I'm not suggesting at all this is an acceptable situation, but I don't have a solution considering as others have repeatedly pointed out NCL doesn't have permission to deboard the crew.  To the OP - what would you have them do?

• Like 1

Jim...  it is just facts !!!  

If it is from the media, it is not "just facts."  🙄

Look, we've seen several media articles without sources or with one or two sources and their social media accounts.  Take that number and divide it by the total # of crew members on these ships.  Really.

NCL, CCL and RCL are pretty much all in the same tough spot; the CDC forced them out of FL ports at first by denying ship-to-ship transfers, ship-to charter bus-to charter planes "unless the cruise line accepted civil and criminal consequences if any COVID 19 results. 

Really.

Now they are all doing what they can to ship-to-ship, send some ships to bring crew closer to home, etc.  BUT THE COUNTRIES DON'T WANT THEM TO COME.

So, what exactly do you want them to do?

What are we doing?  Locked down, non-essential business closed, grocery shopping in surgical garments etc. 

Geeze.

The insertion of all the "NCL lovers" is indicated of a predicated bias.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Because they happen one or two at a time, not in lots of a hundred like cruise ships, and because merchant ships are invisible to most everyone, even though 80% of the world's trade travels by sea.  Many business experts warn of global economic slowdown when these crew reach their statutory maximum time on a ship, and the ships stop moving for lack of crew.

What is even worse is what the US government is doing to US citizens, on US government owned vessels, in US ports.

https://news.usni.org/2020/04/30/civilian-mariners-file-grievance-over-military-sealift-command-covid-19-restrictions

Wow.

See now your thinking. .. fire them! release them from NCL and go about you business not threaten them..  See that is where NCL went wrong and that is why it ended up in the news.... I did not make this stuff up... lol

I'm sure if NCL just fired them instead of giving them a warning you would start a thread about how NCL fired employees for posting on social media.

4 hours ago, Langham1865 said:

Most of the crew still on every ]cruise ship on every line is no longer getting paid... basically only essential crew to keeping the ship running bare bones are getting paid.... he makes it seem like this is only an NCL thing,

Not true...I have a friend stuck on a RCL ship. They ARE getting paid but of course the

biggest part of her income is tips so she’s not getting much. She is in a guest cabin with free internet and free movies on TV.  RCL has also instructed staff to keep quiet but has not threatened prosecution!   I certainly understand the need to not have disgruntled employees posting on social media. They all have to protect their brands but I have a problem with the threats!!

5 hours ago, Theboss17 said:

So in the news again "Crew stuck for weeks on board Norwegian Cruise Line ship threatened with 'prosecution by shoreside authorities' ..  here is the article .. Lets hear it NCL defenders .. lol..  

https://news.yahoo.com/leaked-audio-crew-stuck-weeks-212320510.html  ......

No idea what the issue is or what "at it again" means. The crew all signed a contract with limitations on how they conduct themselves. Most companies have Nondisclosure Agreements or Codes of Conduct or an Employees Handbook which all employees must agree to as a condition of employment. My company does and I have to reaffirm my compliance to the company's code of conduct annually. And yes, in this these challenging times when companies are taking drastic actions to keep from going under, we have all been reminded of our obligations of corporate agreements.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

No idea what the issue is or what "at it again" means. The crew all signed a contract with limitations on how they conduct themselves. Most companies have Nondisclosure Agreements or Codes of Conduct or an Employees Handbook which all employees must agree to as a condition of employment. My company does and I have to reaffirm my compliance to the company's code of conduct annually. And yes, in this these challenging times when companies are taking drastic actions to keep from going under, we have all been reminded of our obligations of corporate agreements.  

Yup.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

OP doesn't seem to believe in contracts - hence the beef with NCL.  Seems the OP cancelled their cruise under POM and wants the same consideration as those who waited and didn't cancel.

59 minutes ago, sandycruzr said:

...............They all have to protect their brands but I have a problem with the threats!!

Yea, but how much of those "threats" are true or just ramblings coming from a disgruntled and frustrated employee in a crappy situation?  Two sides to every story.

If the crew signed contracts containing a non-disclosure clause then whatever are the terms of that clause could be enforced. I assume that would include immediate firing and possibly other civil consequences.  I can respect NCL's desire not to have information leaked that may be detrimental to the company but I do not understand how the crew members could be subject to criminal prosecution by "shoreside authorities".  Unless I am totally missing some arcane maritime law of which I am not aware, I don't see how violating the terms of an employment contract with a private company (especially one that is incorporated in Bermuda as is NCL, I believe) could lead to criminal charges in the U.S.    What specific law would a crew member have violated by posting something on Facebook or Instagram? 

33 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Yea, but how much of those "threats" are true or just ramblings coming from a disgruntled and frustrated employee in a crappy situation?  Two sides to every story.

That’s true!

55 minutes ago, Bluewake said:

Unless I am totally missing some arcane maritime law of which I am not aware, I don't see how violating the terms of an employment contract with a private company (especially one that is incorporated in Bermuda as is NCL, I believe) could lead to criminal charges in the U.S.

The contract terms of non-disclosure, or not allowing photography of the ship, would be enforced under maritime law, in an admiralty court, which virtually all federal courts in the US, and some state courts are.  So, any suit against the crew member would be brought to a US court to uphold maritime law, not US law.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The contract terms of non-disclosure, or not allowing photography of the ship, would be enforced under maritime law, in an admiralty court, which virtually all federal courts in the US, and some state courts are.  So, any suit against the crew member would be brought to a US court to uphold maritime law, not US law.

So, it seems it could be a civil suit brought under the auspices of maritime law, not a criminal charge...correct?    Thanks for clarifying.  That makes more sense now.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Just curious - are any of the employees on the ships employees of the NCL entity out of Miami and therefore subject to US labor laws?  I'm thinking of the administrative staff for example.