RCI lift and shift

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

I don’t know where it comes from but it’s RCG’s term for lifting your booking and shifting one year forward.

Just like lifting the column change and moving up a gear. LOL 

Must be an American expression, because I don't know anyone in the US who has a manual!

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Now is the time for common sense.  I wouldn't be paying any more money to cruise lines until cruise ships are tied up to the wharf in Australia!

I can see my friends complaining bitterly that they can’t get their money back and why didn’t you tell us.

Carnival said in their current financial statement,if business doesn’t start by 2020 first quarter they won’t be able to pay their bills .RC has a lot more debt.

1 minute ago, Chiliburn said:

I can see my friends complaining bitterly that they can’t get their money back and why didn’t you tell us.

Carnival said in their current financial statement,if business doesn’t start by 2020 first quarter they won’t be able to pay their bills .RC has a lot more debt.

I am lucky as my only debt is very small, owed by Virgin.  I just spent several hours getting my frequent flyer flights to Darwin reversed (t&c said bookings could be cancelled/changed free of charge, which is why I booked in the first place).  Whilst I waited on line, I realised I just don't have the patience to be chasing refunds.  Your friends need to decide if they have the patience!

18 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Unfortunately we don’t have a cruise to move to ,our final payment date is in about 4 weeks.I won’t be paying it but my friends want to.They are blindly hopeful of going,they just want to go.

18 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Now is the time for common sense.  I wouldn't be paying any more money to cruise lines until cruise ships are tied up to the wharf in Australia!

Fortunately unless my calls are wrong Serenade needs to be on her way down under before final payment is due. So I am hopeful we will know in time. Not that I have even the faintest hope of it going ahead, but it should give us some wriggle room and negotiating power,

26 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Of course with the cancel up to 48 hrs prior and get a FCC we have another option open. I also noticed they are still selling our cruise.

They are advertising cruises for October.

I have a booking on voyager of the seas in January, I may pay that ?

RC seem to have some hope of starting with voyager ,it had some bookings in Singapore,Darwin for the a repo.

But serenade isn’t in the pacific and it’s booking for the Panama Canal has been canceled 

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Of course, with a crash gear box, no syncromesh.  When I was in the Army Reserve, circa 1969, we had left over US Army Studebaker trucks from WW2, crash gear box.  My first car was, don't laugh..a 64 Hillman Imp, 4 speed manual.  Now I am lazy and drive an auto, like most people. I had a dark green one of these..

th.jpg

I was in green 61-64 23rd Field Regiment RAA, we were using those old Studs for gun tractors in 61, then we changed to the bigger GMC with a joey box. Lots of fun juggling two sticks with crash box.

9 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

I was in green 61-64 23rd Field Regiment RAA, we were using those old Studs for gun tractors in 61, then we changed to the bigger GMC with a joey box. Lots of fun juggling two sticks with crash box.

My first car was a two tone red Hillman Minx station wagon, which I still have in back yard. 

16 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

I was in 2 Div Provost Company, at Moore Park Barracks, 67 to 70 where Sydney Football Stadium now is.  Then we moved to Gladesville, 70 to 72. Great times in ye olde CMF. We had a couple of the Studs, Land Rovers and BSA 500cc motorcycles.  Most of the Provosts were cops, prison warders etc in their normal jobs. The tax free money was good too.

Edited by NSWP

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I was in 2 Div Provost Company, at Moore Park Barracks, 67 to 70 where Sydney Football Stadium now is.  Then we moved to Gladesville, 70 to 72. Great times in ye olde CMF. We had a couple of the Studs, Land Rovers and BSA 500cc motorcycles.  Most of the Provosts were cops, prison warders etc in their normal jobs. The tax free money was good too.

I did my Signal training with the 1Div Sigs at Moore Park, the canteen there wasn't too bad either, except for the time there was a brewery strike and the got in some cans of  "Panther" from NZ. It tasted like it came from one of those big black cats too.

17 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

I did my Signal training with the 1Div Sigs at Moore Park, the canteen there wasn't too bad either, except for the time there was a brewery strike and the got in some cans of  "Panther" from NZ. It tasted like it came from one of those big black cats too.

We only had 2 officers, 1 WO, 4 Sgts, the rest of the Coy about 30 blokes were all Cpls, so we were permitted to have a combined mess, always cheap grog, no tax as on Commonwealth property. Crownies were the favourite, we had class.th.jpg.9ae487dd30d9cdd8d10da80783e8f596.jpg

Edited by NSWP

18 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

I did my signals corps training at 1 Sig Rgt Ingleburn and Balcombe Vic..

40 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I did my signals corps training at 1 Sig Rgt Ingleburn and Balcombe Vic..

1 Sigs had a part of Ingleburn, but were HQ at Moore Park. I did a few weekends at Ingleburn, but most of my time was at Moore Park. It was only for a few months while they trained me in Signals so I could be Driver/Signaller/Backup for one of the Battery Captains.

• Like 1

I'm in the process of lifting and shifting my xmas 2020 cruise now with RCCL. Unfortunately there wasn't a matching Xmas cruise next year, but there was a NYE cruise on the same ship, same itinerary and departing from Miami instead of FLL.

I thought they may reject the L&S because it is going to a NYE cruise that is about $1,500 pp more than our current xmas cruise, and they originally said no.  But they eventually let me have it.

I know that it is still quite a way off, but I see zero chance of us being able to go on the original cruise, and didn't want to invest in final payment knowing that.

7 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

1 Sigs had a part of Ingleburn, but were HQ at Moore Park. I did a few weekends at Ingleburn, but most of my time was at Moore Park. It was only for a few months while they trained me in Signals so I could be Driver/Signaller/Backup for one of the Battery Captains.

Although I was based in Ingleburn I didn't seem to spend much time there due to Shoalwater Bay exercises, training camps, overseas operations in Borneo (Kalimantan) and Singapore. All good fun as a Nasho.

39 minutes ago, sir-magoo said:

I'm in the process of lifting and shifting my xmas 2020 cruise now with RCCL. Unfortunately there wasn't a matching Xmas cruise next year, but there was a NYE cruise on the same ship, same itinerary and departing from Miami instead of FLL.

I thought they may reject the L&S because it is going to a NYE cruise that is about $1,500 pp more than our current xmas cruise, and they originally said no.  But they eventually let me have it.

I know that it is still quite a way off, but I see zero chance of us being able to go on the original cruise, and didn't want to invest in final payment knowing that.

Is that directly with Royal?

Because I’m thinking of trying to do one on a slightly different itinerary and pay a difference.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Is that directly with Royal?

Because I’m thinking of trying to do one on a slightly different itinerary and pay a difference.

Hi, yes I was booked directly through Royal.

Easiest thing to do is just try their online form.  I read elsewhere they are less strict through the online form as it doesn't need to be exact, just similar.  The cruise you want may already be listed there and save you a call.  Basically you just add your name, date and booking ID, then you get presented with a bunch of options to change to.  You only need to select 1, don't need to select all three options.  If your target cruise is listed, you wouldn't need to pay any difference.

https://cancellation.royalcaribbean.com/?brand=R&_ga=2.94405592.594647497.1590767327-1101230479.1590767327

Edited by sir-magoo
minor addition
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, NSWP said:

My first car was, don't laugh..a 64 Hillman Imp, 4 speed manual.  Now I am lazy and drive an auto, like most people. I had a dark green one of these..

th.jpg

9 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

My first car was a two tone red Hillman Minx station wagon, which I still have in back yard. 

LOL my first car was a 1970 Hillman Hunter GT wagon.

Screenshot_20200809-224339_Samsung Internet.jpg

1725cc alloy head twin Stromberg SU carbys - pretty rare back then.  Not bad for $300 with 3 mth rego in the mid 80s.  Drove it for about 3 yrs before I cooked the head.  Then it got towed from the front nature strip as an abandoned vehicle.  Not worth my while to get it back.

Although it deserved a better farewell than that - it owed me nothing, but it gave me plenty of great memories.

Oh and I tried to lift & shift our September TP but the price had gone down, so not an option.  Hope cruise with confidence works out.

Edited by banzaii

I learnt to drive in Dad's Ford Zephyr.

1956 Ford Zephyr Mk Ii - JCM5004073 - JUST CARS

The first car I owned was a Triumph Herald. I couldn't afford a Triumph Spitfire.

1963 triumph herald 1200 3D model - TurboSquid 1597086

After saving some $$$, I got my sports car. A Datsun 2000. Now that was fun. It was a sad day when I sold it before going overseas.

Hollywood Picture Cars: Register your vehicle!

Our experience is with Celebrity but rules for the Lift & Shift are the same as RCCL as far as I’m aware. 

We're booked on December 2020 Solstice out of Sydney to New Zealand.   Just can't see that happening now.

We requested a lift & shift to the exact same sailing, same number of nights, same itinerary, departing on November 24 2021.  It has been refused because it's two days out of the four week window, ie we could only change to a cruise departing on or four weeks after November 26.  There are no other cruises that we could L & S to.

So beware anyone making a new booking (if anyone is at this point in time!).  If you're thinking you'll be able to L & S, check first to be sure there's a cruise that meets the criteria before you book.

33 minutes ago, cruisingaussies said:

Our experience is with Celebrity but rules for the Lift & Shift are the same as RCCL as far as I’m aware. 

So did you get a refund?

Friends did the lift with Celebrity and change their mind and got some of a refund but it’s a struggle. 

19 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

So did you get a refund?

Friends did the lift with Celebrity and change their mind and got some of a refund but it’s a struggle. 

19 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

So did you get a refund?

We’ll be taking a FCC for our deposit,  before the final balance is due. 

We wanted to "Lift and shift" our Celebrity cruise but alas the 2 options for that were one ways going the wrong way. The terms are pretty rigid and although they work for many, some (like us) fall through the cracks. The only published one way, going the right direction is longer and will cost more. We are just trying to find the details to see if we can afford it, and get the cabin we want.🤔