Has anyone gotten their postcards from the Southern Most Post Office?

suzyed

44 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

Where it the post office?

I expect that he is referring to the southern most post office in South America. Unidad Postal Fin del Mundo near Ushuaia, Argentina usually referred to as lands end.

Not the post offices located in Antarctica such as the one at the US McMurdo station, or the Penguin Post Office at one of the British Research Bases.  However, the absolutely furthest south is the US post office branch at Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station

It did take several months for ours to reach us, two years ago during normal times. about five months if I remember correctly.

Edited by npcl
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, npcl said:

Ushuaia, Argentina

I wonder if the OP does mean this port.  Or, as was suggested, Key West.  

At Ushuaia, I intended to mail some postcards.  Post cards were not inexpensive; postage to the U.S. would be outrageous.  I had no Argentina Pesos; US dollars were not welcome; I did not want to use a credit card at the un-hospitable gift shop.  I didn't mail anything and bought nothing.  

• Like 1

Mailed ours in February of this year and it arrived in Canada 5 weeks later.  No issues at all.  

In contrast to rkacruiser we found the postmaster fellow quite nice.  He made a grand gesture with everyone by stamping the penguin stamp all over the post card.  The recipient who collects postcards from all over the world said the penguin stamps made it one of her favorites.

The OP is indeed referring to Ushuaia Argentina. 

For those of you who are thinking U.S.A., Key West certainly is too far north. The southern most P.O. in the 50 U.S. States is located in Naalehu, Hi near the southern tip of the island of Hawaii. The most southern post office in the U.S. Postal Service system is located in American Samoa. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RLK33853 said:

Mailed ours in February of this year and it arrived in Canada 5 weeks later.  No issues at all.  

In contrast to rkacruiser we found the postmaster fellow quite nice.  He made a grand gesture with everyone by stamping the penguin stamp all over the post card.  The recipient who collects postcards from all over the world said the penguin stamps made it one of her favorites.

To be clear, my experience was not at the post office, but at a gift shop that sold post cards and stamps.  The clerk with whom I dealt was as tourist unfriendly as any other than one that I experienced in Egypt.  Given the attitude that I observed, I left the shop and chose not to enrich the Argentinean economy with any contribution from me.  

6 hours ago, skynight said:

The OP is indeed referring to Ushuaia Argentina. 

For those of you who are thinking U.S.A., Key West certainly is too far north. The southern most P.O. in the 50 U.S. States is located in Naalehu, Hi near the southern tip of the island of Hawaii. The most southern post office in the U.S. Postal Service system is located in American Samoa. 

The most southern most in the US postal system are the post offices at the US research bases, McMurdo Station, Ross Island Antarctica and at Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station (with South pole station being the furthest south). The nice thing when I was last there is mail just required a standard first class stamp to go to/from the US.

US Post Office's Southernmost Branch at Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station

https://www.pri.org/stories/2013-02-06/us-post-offices-southernmost-branch-amundsen-scott-south-pole-station

Edited by npcl

7 hours ago, npcl said:

The most southern most in the US postal system are the post offices at the US research bases, McMurdo Station, Ross Island Antarctica and at Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station (with South pole station being the furthest south). The nice thing when I was last there is mail just required a standard first class stamp to go to/from the US.

US Post Office's Southernmost Branch at Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station

https://www.pri.org/stories/2013-02-06/us-post-offices-southernmost-branch-amundsen-scott-south-pole-station

Never thought about that. Thanks.

Dec 2017 Ushuaia and still waiting. Maybe we made a mistake by putting the postcards in the mailbox outside the post office instead of inside. Maybe they are still sitting there - lol. Postage  was $4 for each card.

IMG_2758.jpeg

This might not be the southernmost although as it has been pointed out, neither is the one referenced by the OP but perhaps the most unusual post office is the barrel attached to a tree on one of the islands in the Galapagos.  We did not receive a reply from out cards that we left in the barrel but we did take some put and forward them to the recipient.  Has anyone gotten a reply from the Galapagos barrel post office?

DON

On 5/30/2020 at 4:19 PM, rkacruiser said:

I had no Argentina Pesos; US dollars were not welcome; 

Not sure why you would even think US dollars might be welcome. I don't know of any business in the US that welcomes any foreign currency, even Canadian dollars. There might be a few businesses near the Canadian border that accept US dollars but that would certainly be the exception.