Cruise Critic News: Royal Caribbean Chairman Richard Fain: Cruise Changes Will Come, Innovation Remains

• Administrators

(11:45 a.m. EDT) -- The cruise industry and Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. will have to make changes to adjust to COVID-19, but they will be "evolutionary" and be aimed at still giving passengers a consistent experience, CEO and Chairman Richard Fain said. In an exclusive interview with Cruise Critic, Fain emphasized that changes will ...

news?d=yIl2AUoC8zA news?d=qj6IDK7rITs
W2Sudmg3W0s

View the full article

• Thanks 2

When questioned when things will open up and sail again. Fain said

"I don't know," he said. "It won't be all of a sudden, all the ships start going, but which ship is very much a question of which markets are the most reopened.

"And I know that's frustrating. They would like to know which comes first. So would I, by the way.

"We're learning a lot from opening up our societies. So as we see how society opens up and how quickly that moves … they also are learning things (as they open), and we want to learn those things, too."

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

I agree with @Jimbo that it would be nice to hear something other than "I know it's frustrating," and "there's a lot we still don't know." Surely they have made their plans with multiple scenarios. They don't need to tell us everything, but please tell us something. The only thing I got out of that interview that was new was that they were not going forward with the "SeaFace."

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I agree with @Jimbo that it would be nice to hear something other than "I know it's frustrating," and "there's a lot we still don't know." Surely they have made their plans with multiple scenarios. They don't need to tell us everything, but please tell us something. The only thing I got out of that interview that was new was that they were not going forward with the "SeaFace."

It's true, it's sad I don't think they are any closer to knowing what to do then they were 3 months ago.

Forget the masks, you can't even try to social distance on a cruise ship and  enjoy the activities, the 2 don't mix.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

It's true, it's sad I don't think they are any closer to knowing what to do then they were 3 months ago.

I agree. They were suppose to have a meeting with the CDC I think this week but from what I heard it was more about plans for getting crews back home. You would have thought they would of talked about the when they could conceivably start cruising again.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I agree. They were suppose to have a meeting with the CDC I think this week but from what I heard it was more about plans for getting crews back home. 

That should have happened 3 months ago

Edited by John&LaLa

6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

That should have happened 3 months ago

I couldn't agree more John ! I think the CDC has done a lousy job of not only communication with the cruise lines, but I wonder if they even have a positive attitude for the industry.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That will certainly disappoint a few people on here who swore wearing masks was the only way ships would resume sailing. 

I don’t recall anybody said it had to be a “SeaFace” mask. The mask requirement will still be in place.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Yeah boy from shuffleboard to skydiving and ice skating. That's evolutionary thinking. 🤪

I get that, but here's the statement. 

'But while radical adjustment is uncomfortable for many, innovation has been the norm within cruising, he said.

As an example, Fain pointed to the quiet game of shuffleboard, once a standard activity and popular activity on cruise ships. Royal Caribbean in particular has always pushed the bar in adding features that have never been on ships before, such as ice skating and skydiving simulators, he said.'

What's the message? It doesn't go anywhere.

Shuffleboard still exists. Not like it got replaced

Maybe just a poorly written article

DW and I are at the point of taking our cruise budget for the next few years and building a pool in our backyard instead.

Now if I can just convince her to make hors d'oeuvres every afternoon between 5:00pm and 8:00pm... 🙄 

• Like 1

Fain knows while the USA has more than 100 new cases of the virus & deaths still occurring daily, the virus is not under control & cruising can not commence.

In Australia by mid July our country will be just about back to normal with the exception of cruising, international travel, concerts & nightclubs.  Australia currently has less than 10 new cases daily & all of those are residents returning from overseas.  We have not had any deaths for 3 weeks now.  A quarter of our total deaths came off the Ruby Princess & another quarter contact traced back to someone from a cruise ship. Most of the other deaths occurred to residents in nursing homes.  Our government has remained very tight lipped about cruising & international travel, only saying its not going to happen anytime soon.  Today gyms & foodcourts are opening up, & by July all local sports can resume, cinemas & outdoor sporting stadiums etc. will open up & allow up to 10,000 spectators.

Hopefully, the first cruises from Australia to New Zealand & the Pacific Islands are ready to go for our summer season starting in December as I want to use my FCC’s.  However, I will not be the guinea pig on the first half a dozen or so cruises, I’ll take Fains approach of wait & see.  It’s the staff on the cruise ship that worries me most about the virus not my fellow cruisers.

Any cruises sailing in August are probably really pie in the sky.  They are still working at getting crew home.  Even if the CDC lifts the no sail order on the 24th of July, cruise lines would not get much more than a week notice.  

There is no way cruise lines could get their crew back and be prepared to implement any new procedures by August 1. 

I am just hoping they get some started and get some experience before my January cruise.  I would like to see someone play guinea pig before me.