Is the Anthem that bad now?

3 hours ago, IT_mom said:

We sailed on anthem of the seas a few years ago and we're disappointed. The ship was in disrepair and obviously had suffered through all the storms. The room was smelly oh, it was not clean, the food wasn't that great. The suite amenities were less than what you had on the allure. You cannot discount the convenience of having the port in New Jersey, I just wish it was a better ship. Allure is our favorite ship.

A few years ago?  She's only 5 years old.  Are you saying that she was in disrepair when she was new????  (or did you sail right after the really bad storm when there was quite a bit of damage, including broken glass, that took a while to completely repair?)

AFAIK, the suite amenities on Allure and Anthem are identical.  What seemed different to you?

10 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Having sailed on Princess and Celebrity I would say that nobody books those lines for the entertainment.  While Celebrity had better entertainment than Princess neither can compare to Royal Caribbean.

Are you comparing Princess/ Celebrity to RCI's V/F class or O class entertainment?

Only comment from my one time on Anthem is that she does seem to be very much a people cargo ship.... it was extremely crowded in the promenade near Sorrentos, and the bar.  When they had their sales during the week, you had to queue up  because it's so tight in the promenade.  Wait in lines to get into the shops.

The room we had was delightful... sideways interior - it seemed so big!  Would definitely do that room again.

Food was standard in the MDR - what messes up the service staff is that the MTD folks start to come in about 20 minutes after the set services started - which throws the rhythm of the service staff "off".  Not a big deal, we got used to it.

1 hour ago, Williamsburgcruiser said:

Only comment from my one time on Anthem is that she does seem to be very much a people cargo ship.... it was extremely crowded in the promenade near Sorrentos, and the bar.  When they had their sales during the week, you had to queue up  because it's so tight in the promenade.  Wait in lines to get into the shops.

The room we had was delightful... sideways interior - it seemed so big!  Would definitely do that room again.

Food was standard in the MDR - what messes up the service staff is that the MTD folks start to come in about 20 minutes after the set services started - which throws the rhythm of the service staff "off".  Not a big deal, we got used to it.

Sideways interior? Haven't heard of that one before...... do you recall the room number? Absolutely want to look to book one of those if it seems bigger!!!

5 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

Sideways interior? Haven't heard of that one before...... do you recall the room number? Absolutely want to look to book one of those if it seems bigger!!!

I can't give you cabin numbers, but take a look at the deck plans.  They are accurate and show you the shape of the cabin.  🙂 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/anthem-of-the-seas/deck-plans/1981/03

4 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I can't give you cabin numbers, but take a look at the deck plans.  They are accurate and show you the shape of the cabin.  🙂 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/anthem-of-the-seas/deck-plans/1981/03

One more question if I may.......on an Anthem Southern itinerary from NJ..... do you recall how far down the U.S. coast do you travel on the first day? Would you get as far as the coast of FLA? Thanks!! 

1 hour ago, NateUpNorth said:

One more question if I may.......on an Anthem Southern itinerary from NJ..... do you recall how far down the U.S. coast do you travel on the first day? Would you get as far as the coast of FLA? Thanks!! 

Others will probably give you a better answer, but IIRC, no - you get about as far as South Carolina the first day.  Florida on Day 2.

Yeah I don't think you'll be off the coast of Florida the next day. Our Oasis cruise was to leave NJ, sea day and then in Cape Canaveral Florida. Could they, probably by burning a ton of unnecessary fuel and pushing the ship.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Williamsburgcruiser said:

MTD is supposed to be American Icon and Silk

Traditional is supposed to be Chic and The Grande

Edited by Another_Critic

I love Anthem and all the Quantum Class ships I’ve been on, including Spectrum. I like Spectrum the best, but Anthem is the easiest one to get to. It could get crowded at times, but the same is true on all ships. I find the public spaces get crowded at times, mostly after a show is done... but that is true with all ships I’ve been on. However, for the most part, I’ve always find plenty of open spaces that aren’t crowded all throughout the ship. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

MTD is supposed to be American Icon and Silk

Traditional is supposed to be Chic and The Grande

When things get backed up, they put MTD people into the regular dining rooms.

On 6/16/2020 at 12:05 PM, NateUpNorth said:

Had asked this question to the good Captain Olaf long time back and he had said "Around Cape Hatteras", for that sailing.

Spent 22 nights on Anthem this past January and enjoyed every day.  The only unpleasant part of the trip was hearing the arguments that ensued with few D+ members who boarded, came into the  Concierge Lounge and were told  by the Concierge that they could not stay. 

21 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Had asked this question to the good Captain Olaf long time back and he had said "Around Cape Hatteras", for that sailing.

Usually mid to late afternoon on first sea day on an 11 nighter you are around the Carolinas if my memory serves me.

Thanks for these reviews.  They are very instructive and helpful for me.

I lived in Florida for the last 13 yrs;  I went on 30 cruises. DH went once a yr;  I went by myself the rest of the time.  I`m Diamond + now.  DH passed away 4 yrs ago & my family wanted me to move back.  So I'm now looking at Bayonne, NJ.  I am living on LI now.  

I always stayed away from the huge ships, my favorites were the Radiance Class.  I prefer longer cruises 12+ or b2b.  I did two 2wk Celebrity cruises in the last 3 yrs. But prefer R C on my own. It was lovely but much more a couples environment.  I prefer balconies or Jr. Suites;  I bring all my hobbies and go for the total  R&R.  

So I look forward to reading about cruising from Bayonne.

Thanks to all.

8 minutes ago, Aislinncursala said:

I am also very disappointed to learn that Diamond plus no longer goes to Concierge Lounge.  Is this only on larger ships? Or all ships now.  What is the point of Plus?

Appreciate everyone's kind replies very much.

Unfortunately not much. RCL has slowly taken away D+ benefits. 

16 minutes ago, Aislinncursala said:

I am also very disappointed to learn that Diamond plus no longer goes to Concierge Lounge.  Is this only on larger ships? Or all ships now.  What is the point of Plus?

Appreciate everyone's kind replies very much.

The Diamond Lounge on the Anthem is very nice.  When there are large numbers of eligible members on board, the happy hour expands into the adjoining Music Hall, and there is plenty of room, several hors d'oeuvres stations, plenty of roaming waiters, and an actual bar.

54 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

The Diamond Lounge on the Anthem is very nice.  When there are large numbers of eligible members on board, the happy hour expands into the adjoining Music Hall, and there is plenty of room, several hors d'oeuvres stations, plenty of roaming waiters, and an actual bar.

54 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

We were on the Anthem in January & the DL was packed. The expansion into Music Hall was a total zoo. At times it was difficult trying to walk through the Music Hall to find a seat. That was a joke finding a seat. You had D’s, D+ & P. 

Edited by LorraineP
Edit

We've been on many Anthem cruises.  We have never experienced any of the negative things mentioned in this post.  The ship has always been clean, food was good, service excellent, entertainment fabulous!  The Diamond club was never overly crowded on our sailings, even during the summer season.

The only place we saw wear was in the Schooner Bar.  The table around the piano was broken, and the chairs were not in good shape  (some had even been removed, leaving only 1-2 chairs around the piano).  I assume these will be repaired/replaced .

2 hours ago, LorraineP said:

We were on the Anthem in January & the DL was packed. The expansion into Music Hall was a total zoo. At times it was difficult trying to walk through the Music Hall to find a seat. That was a joke finding a seat. You had D’s, D+ & P. 

I was there at the same time as you and have been listening to your complaints for more than six months.

ENOUGH.

4 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I was there at the same time as you and have been listening to your complaints for more than six months.

ENOUGH.

Sorry just telling someone what I experienced. Maybe your timing was different.