Why would I choose NCL in the future?

Lou33

We just received a letter that NCL is fighting our dispute with our credit card, CITI Visa, that we did not receive a refund for our April 17 cruise.  NCL is saying that they issued partial credits.  However after researching I found that the partial credits were for a completely different service (shore excursions) which I cancelled long before our cruise was cancelled.  It had NOTHING to do with the charge that I was disputing.  They also told CITI that we accepted credit for a future cruise; however, they "conveniently neglected" to say that we followed their procedure to apply for a refund.  

What does NCL have to gain by lying and misrepresenting to our credit card company that they do not owe us a refund?  Why would I choose NCL for a future cruise?  What future does a company have when it treats long time customers like a door mat?  NCL, are you reading this?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

We just received a letter that NCL is fighting our dispute with our credit card, CITI Visa, that we did not receive a refund for our April 17 cruise.  NCL is saying that they issued partial credits.  However after researching I found that the partial credits were for a completely different service (shore excursions) which I cancelled long before our cruise was cancelled.  It had NOTHING to do with the charge that I was disputing.  They also told CITI that we accepted credit for a future cruise; however, they "conveniently neglected" to say that we followed their procedure to apply for a refund.  

What does NCL have to gain by lying and misrepresenting to our credit card company that they do not owe us a refund?  Why would I choose NCL for a future cruise?  What future does a company have when it treats long time customers like a door mat?  NCL, are you reading this?

They get the benefit of the banks money for 30-60 days longer, since the bank issued you a temporary credit.

Their goal is to lure unsuspecting first time cruisers to the product and then soak them will fees. Except for a few "cheerleaders" on these message boards, many have had some negative interaction with NCL. They are like the Spirit Airlines of cruising, fee, fee, fee, no customer service, consistent low customer satisfaction ratings. Most will catch on to their tactics eventually. And NCL couldn't care less. They are being investigated by the Florida Attorney Gen for misleading and false sales tactics. They are dealing with class action litigation from shareholders. They are regularly and blatantly lying about refunds owed and ignoring facts.

Corrupt entity from Del Rio to Sommer to Byrd. 

• Like 3

The company is desperate and fighting for survival. Denying refunds is a short term financial lifesaver for the company. That said it should be a longterm death sentence for the company. I don't blame anyone for ignoring this company when treated so poorly.

• Like 3

I love travelling on NCL ships.   BUT and it is a BIG BUT the problems I am having with them, that started in February and are still not sorted, are turning me off using them when I have managed to use up all the FCC and Discounts we have on 4  B2B2B2B cruises late in 2022. 

If the latest idea from them, that you can only use FCC IF you take out NCL insurance, is correct that will be the clincher for us; NO MORE NCL!!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Paul Bogle said:

The company is desperate and fighting for survival. Denying refunds is a short term financial lifesaver for the company. That said it should be a longterm death sentence for the company. I don't blame anyone for ignoring this company when treated so poorly.

I cancelled a fully paid cruise way before the final payment deadline back on 3/19/20.  As of 7/5/20 I have not received a refund.  This is with Royal Caribbean.  If one decides to not cruise in the future with lines that act like this, there will be few choices in 2021 when cruising gets started again.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, mugtech said:

I cancelled a fully paid cruise way before the final payment deadline back on 3/19/20.  As of 7/5/20 I have not received a refund.  This is with Royal Caribbean.  If one decides to not cruise in the future with lines that act like this, there will be few choices in 2021 when cruising gets started again.

They’re all doing it to try to save their business. Keeping loyal customers is the least of their problems at this point.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Lou33 said:

It is more that you failed to fully disclose what you received in cash refund and what you received in FCC to Citibank. Your cash refund is not due yet. 

Now, Citibank may consider you a high risk due to the unsubstantiated claim and drop you as a customer. They are spending time and money to investigate your claim and find that it is not fully honest. Along with the potential of NCL blacklisting you and putting you o the no sail lost. That is the worst case lose-lose situation. 

Edited by BirdTravels

Why are you disputing the charge?  Was it placed fraudulantly? Credit card disputes are meant to be for fraud, not to settle the personal (civil) disputes you have with a company. Citi has nothing to do with the fact that NCL won't issue you a refund. 

I'm sorry, but I work for a credit card company, and way too many people "dispute" charges, thinking we will just credit your card back. We do not issue refunds for charges that were placed by you, the consumer, unless it was placed by way of fraud.

Your battle is with NCL, and they like all other cruiselines are struggling. I suggest you try a consumer advocacy group or a lawyer for your problem, and consider another cruiseline in the future.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, solocruzin said:

Credit card disputes are meant to be for fraud, not to settle the personal (civil) disputes you have with a company. Citi has nothing to do with the fact that NCL won't issue you a refund.

That is a totally incorrect statement, and ridiculous to think it came from someone who works in the industry.  I suggest you read the VISA chargeback manual, particularly sections 13.1, 13.6 and 13.7.

chargeback-management-guidelines-for-visa-merchants.pdf

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, solocruzin said:

Why are you disputing the charge?  Was it placed fraudulantly? Credit card disputes are meant to be for fraud, not to settle the personal (civil) disputes you have with a company. Citi has nothing to do with the fact that NCL won't issue you a refund. 

I suggest you......consider another cruiseline in the future.  

Of course the charge was not placed fraudulently.  The problem is that they are not processing a refund within a reasonable time frame.  CITI Visa considers 30 days to be reasonable and they are happy to help me.   Yes, of course we will consider other cruise lines in the future.

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

It is more that you failed to fully disclose what you received in cash refund and what you received in FCC to Citibank. Your cash refund is not due yet. 

Now, Citibank may consider you a high risk due to the unsubstantiated claim and drop you as a customer. They are spending time and money to investigate your claim and find that it is not fully honest. Along with the potential of NCL blacklisting you and putting you o the no sail lost. That is the worst case lose-lose situation. 

You've got to be kidding!?  I didn't receive any cash refund.  My refund was due when I applied for a refund.  I don't consider 90 days to be a reasonable time frame, and neither does CITI.  With your reasoning, what is to stop a merchant from saying that a refund is not due for 3 years?  Who are you to say that I'm not being fully honest?  The documents that I sent to CITI detail that I was offered FCC which I rejected.  It also details that NCL said I should allow 90 days for a refund.  

All NCL had to do was tell CITI that my refund is due and still in process after almost 3 months.  At that point CITI would have made my provisional credit permanent.  Instead NCL lied to CITI that I already received a partial refund (which I didn't), and by the way, they don't owe me any other money because I accepted FCC (which I rejected).  

• Like 3

On 7/5/2020 at 6:12 AM, mugtech said:

There is a big difference between taking a long time processing a refund (which all of the cruise lines are doing, it took about 60-70 days to receive ours from CCL) and a cruise line giving misleading information to a third party, which is the situation described by the OP. 

• Like 4