New Cruising Guidelines Issued by EU

Georgia_Peaches

Came across this video released on July 2nd which summarizes changes to cruising issued in a 49 page document released by the EU.  Some things we expected, some not so much.

Changes mentioned in the video:

• Shorter cruises with fewer ports.
  • Segregating passengers by age demographic
  • Little use of elevators and wearing of masks when in the elevator
  • Put as many activities outside as possible
  • Very few people in pools and no indoor use of pools or hot tubs
  • Social distancing in dining rooms and theaters
  • Continuous temp checks for passengers and crew and covid testing of crew every 2 weeks

Of course this applies to Europe but may give some insight for cruising changes in USA.  I'm curious how Oceania will operate with less days and fewer ports as it is my understanding that they are known for longer, port intensive itineraries.

Here's the video for reference.  Please accept my apology if this is old news.

16 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Came across this video released on July 2nd which summarizes changes to cruising issued in a 49 page document released by the EU.  Some things we expected, some not so much.

Changes mentioned in the video:

• Shorter cruises with fewer ports.
  • Segregating passengers by age demographic
  • Little use of elevators and wearing of masks when in the elevator
  • Put as many activities outside as possible
  • Very few people in pools and no indoor use of pools or hot tubs
  • Social distancing in dining rooms and theaters
  • Continuous temp checks for passengers and crew and covid testing of crew every 2 weeks

Of course this applies to Europe but may give some insight for cruising changes in USA.  I'm curious how Oceania will operate with less days and fewer ports as it is my understanding that they are known for longer, port intensive itineraries.

Here's the video for reference.  Please accept my apology if this is old news.

Cruise Critic posted a news article about these guidelines on July 2:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5434/

Please note that these are guidelines and individual countries may not follow them to the letter, or may impose even more stringent requirements.

8 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Cruise Critic posted a news article about these guidelines on July 2:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5434/

Please note that these are guidelines and individual countries may not follow them to the letter, or may impose even more stringent requirements.

Thank you!  I missed that posting.  Will ask the mods to remove.

1 minute ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Thank you!  I missed that posting.  Will ask the mods to remove.

There's nothing wrong with your post. I just wanted to refer anyone who was interested in the information to an alternative source.

5 minutes ago, ORV said:

Someone here is going to love that age segregation thing. I see lawsuits. 

Honestly, I can't see that condition getting off the ground.  Lawsuits galore!  I agree with @njhorseman, individual countries will adopt/change according to their cultural norms.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

Whose laws do you believe they’ll sue under? These are European cruises! First word in ADA is Americans! 

Does this mean I can’t sail with a 20 something mistress? Keep me out of trouble with my wife!

Family units are excluded, you realize that don’t you?

20 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

First word in ADA is Americans! 

Nah, really? And here I was thinking it was Armenian. 

I'm not sure but I'd be willing to bet more than one European nation has age discrimination laws. 

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Someone here is going to love that age segregation thing. I see lawsuits. 

I am 60 years old.  Let me emphasize.....a young, very young 60.  I like hanging out with 40 - 30yr olds.  No offense to those of my age group or older but that is who I am.   This segregation implies that this age group has a lower immune system, that they are all retired. That is not true!   Just because you are 70ish doesn't mean that you are at higher risk than the 30 yr old who smokes like a chimney, drinks on a full time schedule of partying and may not be health conscience and go to a doctor.   It's all based on lifestyle and environment.   I work full time, I never get sick but this arrangement will depress me!

Edited by Lovincruisin1321
added sentence
  • Like 1

I see most all of this as very short term. Americans, for the most part, aren’t flying to Europe for a 3-7 day cruise. Oceania would have to cancel and refund almost all of its 2021 EU cruises and start all over.

You can only eat with family members!

Very short term to get past the trial period!

27 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I see most all of this as very short term. Americans, for the most part, aren’t flying to Europe for a 3-7 day cruise. Oceania would have to cancel and refund almost all of its 2021 EU cruises and start all over.

You can only eat with family members!

Very short term to get past the trial period!

I think very few people would cruise under these conditions.  We won't do a 3 to 7 day cruise even if we do not have to fly.   Not worth the packing and unpacking. 

Well I don't see many of these conditions getting off the ground in the US.  Social distancing, yes.  Masks, yes to some extent.  Dining with family only, sure.  Temp checks on a regular basis...yes.  The age separation...no way. 

I think the point of the video was to highlight what the EU is putting in place as a spring board to what may be considered in other countries, including the US.  Like others, I would never fly to a European port (not that they'd let me at this point) only to cruise for 3 to 7 days. 

Agree, these measures are very temporary.

26 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Like others, I would never fly to a European port (not that they'd let me at this point) only to cruise for 3 to 7 days. 

I would not fly anywhere  for  a 3-7 day cruise  even before Covid  😎

Some people are compliant to the rules  than others  ..you can see the defiance in some posts here on CC

Thank goodness our numbers are coming down here  I just hope they stay  that way now that more places are opening up

JMO

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

I would not fly anywhere  for  a 3-7 day cruise  even before Covid  😎

Some people are compliant to the rules  than others  ..you can see the defiance in some posts here on CC

Thank goodness our numbers are coming down here  I just hope they stay  that way now that more places are opening up

JMO

Our numbers are ridiculous.  So disheartening.  I have to keep the faith, though.  Some days that's easier to do than others.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shawnino said:

This will be a royal mess because 'EU' and 'Schengen Area' overlap but are not synonymous.

And that's before individual countries put in their own two cents.

Un enforceable.....Un Manageable......Un Realistic.........   

4 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Like others, I would never fly to a European port (not that they'd let me at this point) only to cruise for 3 to 7 days. 

Oh, I would and spend a week each pre and post.

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Our numbers are ridiculous.  So disheartening.  I have to keep the faith, though.  Some days that's easier to do than others.

Glad to see you acknowledging that travel is so far down the list as to not even be on it. We did 'inside dining' a couple of times and now have stopped that due to rising/spiking numbers.

37 minutes ago, clo said:

Glad to see you acknowledging that travel is so far down the list as to not even be on it. We did 'inside dining' a couple of times and now have stopped that due to rising/spiking numbers.

My head has never once been in the sand.  I have just chosen to focus on the positive as much as possible...that said, I see the writing on the wall.  I'm only one person doing what I can for the common good.  If others decide to do the same, maybe we will make some progress.  But all you have to do these days is read the ATL headlines...shaking my head is all I can muster.  Praying for peace and good heath for all.

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

My head has never once been in the sand.  I have just chosen to focus on the positive as much as possible...that said, I see the writing on the wall.  I'm only one person doing what I can for the common good.  If others decide to do the same, maybe we will make some progress.  But all you have to do these days is read the ATL headlines...shaking my head is all I can muster.  Praying for peace and good heath for all.

I agree

DH talked to an acquaintance today  in the USA  who said they had a 4th of July party with lots of family & friends

another person in the group chat asked if they did the distancing thing  & wore masks

The answer was  "No we were even hugging each other "

Just boggles the mind  😲

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I agree

DH talked to an acquaintance today  in the USA  who said they had a 4th of July party with lots of family & friends

another person in the group chat asked if they did the distancing thing  & wore masks

The answer was  "No we were even hugging each other "

Just boggles the mind  😲

That’s because they listen to our Dear leader who tells them that 99% of COVID cases are totally harmless.

Of course, that makes you wonder who was overfilling the hospitals & ICUs in NYC and now in Fl, AZ and Texas to over 100 capacity.

That’s a lot of “harmless people” requiring ICU care.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1