Safety Drill enhancement

54 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

I'm just concerned since, let's face it, for probably most cruisers the drill is taken rather lightly

These folks in front of us definitely took it very lightly and napped during muster!

image.thumb.png.cb0c5032eb0e25e2c82bd2ebe6743a37.png

lovelife...LOL....I'm not surprised. I get it....we all do. It's nearly unfathomable that anything REALLY bad can happen, right??  But...the Titanic did sink, ya know???  I will never look at another drill the same way. It'll always bring back the events of last March to me. 

Quite a signature there!  So you actually did a cruise EVERY MONTH during '18??? I can't even fathom that amount of cruising. Not sure what all the capital letters stand for either - abbreviations for names of ships?  "JW"  ?  

Edited by OnTheJourney

1 hour ago, mps69_1999 said:

Not wanting to sound like a complete negative nelly.... there are going to be an element of people who just won't do this, and there will be multiple calls for these people to complete the process before the departure.

If they are sitting in the bar or having food, they're not going to move.

Lets face it, we've all been in airports where people get called to board the plane, and hold everything up. I can see the same happening here too.

Same happens now with regular muster.

I'm sure they can shut off all cards for purchase until they complete the muster procedure or deny sales to those who have not done it.

With all the cameras onboard they could probably use facial recognition and find them pretty quickly and send security to get them.

Could also blast their pictures on all the screens until they show up, all for public shaming.

Many options on how to get everyone to do it.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

lovelife...LOL....I'm not surprised. I get it....we all do. It's nearly unfathomable that anything REALLY bad can happen, right??  But...the Titanic did sink, ya know???  I will never look at another drill the same way. It'll always bring back the events of last March to me. 

Quite a signature there!  So you actually did a cruise EVERY MONTH during '18??? I can't even fathom that amount of cruising. Not sure what all the capital letters stand for either - abbreviations for names of ships?  "JW"  ?  

I didn't realize it but I guess I did sail every month in 2018.  Abbreviations are for ship-itinerary and then date.  JW is Jewel of the Seas. AL = Allure, etc.

OnTheJourney: Thanks for sharing your very important insights. I agree 1000%.

What you experienced with being unable to don your life jacket is called "negative panic." Your reactions basically ... shut down. You freeze. It's a common human response in an emergency situation. Which illustrates how critical it is to pay attention to a (hopefully) well-presented safety briefing! You never know how you'll react. You might be the one helping or the one who needs to be helped!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, twangster said:

The licensing component is an interesting twist.  Waiving the licensing fees in the near term allows "other" lines (cough cough Carnival) to follow suit but later will require license fees.  It will be very interesting to see how Carnival handles this.  Merely copying may mean potential infringement.  Guests will demand this so it somewhat forces their hand.  They'll likely claim they were developing something on their own without knowledge or awareness.  Bring on the lawyers.

Interesting question.  I would assume, but don't really know, that the applicable patent laws will be from the country in which the cruise line is incorporated.  The US patent system switched to first to file for inventions in 2013 meaning that others claiming that were separately developing something wouldn't matter (with some exceptions). Rules though do vary by country.  And if Royal didn't cover enough white space in their patent claims, others may be able to make subtle changes in the process such that they are not infringing on the patent.  Patent law is an art.  Prosecution might be difficult and the lawyers will definitely benefit.

3 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

I've stood in lines where people are on their phones, talking, etc. not really paying attention

That’s the thing. The current drill is a terrible way to get people to learn anything. Maybe this new method will be a better way for people to learn. It certainly can’t be worse. Even if it’s equally ineffective, at least it won’t be as annoying. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, lazydayz said:

Kudos to Royal on this.  I always viewed muster as a necessary evil.  This just makes a lot more sense.  

Why is information that could save your life viewed as an "evil"?  I don't think that changing the format to something that is easier NOT to do (or do haphazardly as a result of it being on your own time) makes any sense at all. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

2 hours ago, lovelife said:

I didn't realize it but I guess I did sail every month in 2018.  Abbreviations are for ship-itinerary and then date.  JW is Jewel of the Seas. AL = Allure, etc.

Wow...I sure would have remembered if I cruised 12 times in one year!!!

6 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Wow...I sure would have remembered if I cruised 12 times in one year!!!

Yes, we are very fortunate but.........believe me, we worked extremely hard for many years to enjoy this life.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Why is information that could save your life viewed as an "evil"?  I don't think that changing the format to something that is easier NOT to do (or do haphazardly as a result of it being on your own time) makes any sense at all. 

Information is not evil.  The process was absurd. 

After 60 plus live musters, I am pretty sure I have the info committed to memory. 

If you need personal instruction, just ask when you check in at the muster station.   

28 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

That is still the way it should be....

Yes, maybe in theory. But when you are on the sunny side of the ship sweltering in the heat and packed against a lot of other people how much are you really getting out of it? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, molly361 said:

Will Mr and Mrs. Smith from Deck 9 report to their muster station to check in.  We can't leave the dock until you check in

And I wonder if there will be a rush for everyone to report to their muster station to check in creating more of log jam of people crammed in to get signed off by the crew. Doesn't look like social distancing to me.

9 hours ago, woodscruise said:

Royal Caribbean Group reinvents cruise industry's safety drill

- New patented approach helps guests sail away smoothly

- Technology licensed to other cruise lines to help eliminate crowding

News Release Issued: Jul 24, 2020 (6:00am EDT)

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/royal-caribbean-group-reinvents-cruise-industrys-safety-drill-301099281.htm

ABOUT FREAKIN' TIME!!!  Been waiting for this for decades!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mps69_1999 said:

Not wanting to sound like a complete negative nelly.... there are going to be an element of people who just won't do this, and there will be multiple calls for these people to complete the process before the departure.

If they are sitting in the bar or having food, they're not going to move.

Lets face it, we've all been in airports where people get called to board the plane, and hold everything up. I can see the same happening here too.

I'm guessing they'll do it how they were doing it pre-covid. 

Close all the venues and stop all activities. 

I assume all crew will still need to go the their assembly stations, to direct guests, check them in, answer questions which would mean bars and and everywhere else would need to be closed for this to happen. 

Crew still attend guest drill, including crew who's emergency duty was to patrol crew staircases, even though they have no guest interaction at that time. 

Then once drill is 'done' (however they say its done) everything starts back up again.