Safety Drill enhancement

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

Or old folks that need help😇

Sadly, I think my moms cruising days are behind her, but I’m just picturing a world where a ship of 5,000 can’t leave port until she can get an app on her phone to work. /shudder

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LXA350 said:

For such cases it will likely be enough that the guests will show up at the Muster Station and check.in with the crew member located there.

That's not enough now and I suspect it may not be enough in the future either. 

My point of view is not that I want to avoid the muster drill in general because it's a pain in the butt (which I do really want to avoid), but the fact that I've been attending these FOR 47 YEARS!!!!!

Trust me:  I got this.  I got this to the point that I could probably join the crew and help out with the panic-stricken people. 

57 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

That's not enough now and I suspect it may not be enough in the future either. 

No matter how you have such exerices if it's on a plane or on a cruise ship. Should there really be a unlikely event of a real emergency it is anyway unpredictable how people will behave / react. Hence the most important factor is the crew that they are fully trained including how to deal with people loosing their temper, in shock etc during a real emergency.

Nevertheless it would be a must that everyone does take this little but very crucial element of the cruise very serious and take those few minutes to familiarize themselves with their muster station and the fastest way to get there, at least from their cabin. Anyone ignorant not doing so, should not board the ship as their behaviour in a real emergency could endanger many others. Even then, keep in mind, due to fire or other reasons you will need to get to the Muster Station using a different path where you will need to relly on a trained crew who will need to do their part to get you there safely. But by taking the time to think and review this process this will also help to stay (more) calm in such a situation.

5 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

No matter how you have such exerices if it's on a plane or on a cruise ship. Should there really be a unlikely event of a real emergency it is anyway unpredictable how people will behave / react. Hence the most important factor is the crew that they are fully trained including how to deal with people loosing their temper, in shock etc during a real emergency.

Nevertheless it would be a must that everyone does take this little but very crucial element of the cruise very serious and take those few minutes to familiarize themselves with their muster station and the fastest way to get there, at least from their cabin. Anyone ignorant not doing so, should not board the ship as their behaviour in a real emergency could endanger many others. Even then, keep in mind, due to fire or other reasons you will need to get to the Muster Station using a different path where you will need to relly on a trained crew who will need to do their part to get you there safely. But by taking the time to think and review this process this will also help to stay (more) calm in such a situation.

Every time we have attended a muster and they tell people not to look for their children as they will be found and taken to the lifeboats  I know that no one in my family would NOT be going around looking for their kids should an emergency arise.

Edited by molly361

2 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Every time we have attended a muster and they tell people not to look for their children as they will be found and taken to the lifeboats I chuckle because I know that no one in my family would NOT be going around looking for their kids should an emergency arise.

You see, it's just another example on how theory and practice are likely not going to be the same as you are not the only one that would think like this. Although if this would really work as smoothly as presented during the drill then you should fully comply with it and as hard as it sounds it would be the only right thing.

On 7/24/2020 at 1:02 PM, Ocean Boy said:

Yes, maybe in theory. But when you are on the sunny side of the ship sweltering in the heat and packed against a lot of other people how much are you really getting out of it? 

Totally agree. There have been a couple of times I could have passed out from the heat. 

Reading the press release twill still have to go to Muster to check in prior to ship sailing, which will also will aide in knowing where Muster is, in the case of a real emergency. 
keeping the herd from gathering, much like the blood donor app, here in Canada, it’s the same questions every time, answer them and the QR pass is scanned upon arrival(although now there is also the Covidscreen)

One of the most important reasons for the assembly drill is so that you know the location of your muster station. Even if you have participated in 1,000 muster drills, your muster station might be different each time depending on the ship and your stateroom location.

38 minutes ago, Pratique said:

One of the most important reasons for the assembly drill is so that you know the location of your muster station. Even if you have participated in 1,000 muster drills, your muster station might be different each time depending on the ship and your stateroom location.

I've seen some at the muster drill that probably didn't remember how they got to their assign muster station for the drill...🍻🍷🍸🥂🥃🥳

4 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I've seen some at the muster drill that probably didn't remember how they got to their assign muster station for the drill...🍻🍷🍸🥂🥃🥳

Yeah but let's not bring that up lest the cruise line decides to prohibit alcohol sales before muster.

18 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Yeah but let's not bring that up lest the cruise line decides to prohibit alcohol sales before muster.

The chance of the cruise lines prohibiting alcohol sales that first day stands about as much chance of happening as cruising starting up next week.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

The chance of the cruise lines prohibiting alcohol sales that first day stands about as much chance of happening as cruising starting up next week.

Geez you guys have no sense of humor.

It’s important to drill under as realistic conditions as possible. There’s a darn good chance I’ll be at least slightly inebriated when we hit an iceberg. I need to practice finding my muster station when I’m not 100% coherent, no?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, StlGal said:

Totally agree. There have been a couple of times I could have passed out from the heat. 

We had a cruise where two older ladies at my station DID pass out from the heat (San Juan, if I remember correctly).  This was after the formal stuff was done and the captain was droning on about the upcoming cruise and the weather forecast (all sunny).  He must have talked for 3 or 4 minutes before releasing everyone, seemingly oblivious to what passengers standing outside were experiencing.

Having to check-in after the apps/tv and answer questions might be harder and make that line go slower.  I usually see many guests who are not great with English and not the type that pay enough attention to answer questions.

Ptovidence RI local news just did a piece on RCI's new muster drill. Apparently there is a app called Muster 2.0 where you do some sort of activity and then stop by your muster station to check in. Those without smart phones will do something on their cabin TV. I'm sure there is more to it but that is what a got from the 60 second TV spot.

They did show screen shots of some of the pages of the app. I did check the Google play store. The app is not there yet.

Those people that get to the muster station 20-30 mins before the drills begins are going to be so mad lol. Muster drill are fun you get there 2 mins before it starts and you get to stand in the front of the line 😃