Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

45 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

In reading the latest protocols for embarking in Italy, it seems that we absolutely need to get tested one day before... It was 2 days until last week [that is, for those of us who are "up-to-date"....].

Of course, things can change until your cruise.

Ours is just 8 weeks away, boarding on a Monday, seems we'll have to test on a Sunday... in Rome... bummer.

The two days was - and still is - for departures from Barcelona and Copenhagen, which makes me think that the one-day rule for departures from Italy may be a requirement of the Italian government. While we all joke about RCI meaning "Really Consistently Inconsistent", I can't see them having one rule for some countries and a different one for another if it weren't being imposed on them by local regulations.

That said, there is testing available at Rome Airport and it appears to be open daily (at least there is no mention of it being closed on Sundays): 

https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-roma-en/test-areas-at-the-airport

And lots of pharmacies in Rome and several in Civitavecchia do testing too. They appear to be mostly closed on Sundays but open early on Monday mornings - around 8 am/8.30 am.

You can use the map below to help you source one. Just zoom in to the area where you're staying.

https://www.salutelazio.it/elenco-farmacie-che-eseguono-tamponi-antigenici-rapidi

Hope this helps.

ETA: Sorry, kind of assumed you were talking about Royal until I realised this is the multi-line Hotels in Rome thread. But still hope it helps anyway.

Edited by FionaMG
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

If my memory is not completely shot, I believe I read that Celebrity was going to do testing at the port upon arrival.  Confirm that to be sure.  If true, that would be a wonderful convenience.

I would confirm that. I'm on just about the first Celebrity European sailing departing 4/21 from Southampton and Celebrity are NOT offering testing at pierside before embarking. It's on the passenger to show up with the appropriate test results.

All I can say is READ CAREFULLY the requirements for your particular cruise and KEEP CHECKING. There are differing requirements for various countries so not all itineraries will have the same ones. Also it will depend on whether you have a booster and how long ago you were vaxxed. Some ports (e.g., Portugal) are still requiring a Passenger Locator Form even if arriving by ship....

23 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

If my memory is not completely shot, I believe I read that Celebrity was going to do testing at the port upon arrival.  Confirm that to be sure.  If true, that would be a wonderful convenience.

Fully-Vaccinated** Guests: Will not be required to present a pre-arrival test. Instead, guests will be tested at the Terminal prior to Embarkation.

**Definition of Fully Vaccinated:  vaccinated with a full dose of a primary series vaccine more than 9 months (270 days) prior to sailing, and NOT boosted. The last primary dose must have been administered at least 14 days prior to embarkation.

10 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

And lots of pharmacies in Rome and several in Civitavecchia do testing too. They appear to be mostly closed on Sundays but open early on Monday mornings - around 8 am/8.30 am.

You can use the map below to help you source one. Just zoom in to the area where you're staying.

https://www.salutelazio.it/elenco-farmacie-che-eseguono-tamponi-antigenici-rapidi

Hope this helps.

Host Anne just posted the newly requirements (as from April 11st).

Pre-Arrival/Embarkation Covid-19 Test

• Up to Date* Guests: Must present a negative Antigen test taken within 1 day prior to sailing. Testing at the terminal will not be required.
  • Fully-Vaccinated** Guests: Will not be required to present a pre-arrival test. Instead, guests will be tested at the Terminal prior to Embarkation.
  • Unvaccinated Guests: Will not be required to present a pre-arrival test. Instead, guests will be tested at the Terminal prior to Embarkation. 
  •  
  •   

*European definition of Up to Date: vaccinated within 9 months (270 days) of final dose in primary series OR boosted. The 270 days must extend to the final day of the cruise. The last primary dose must have been administered at least 14 days prior to embarkation.

•  

• Sadly, we fall under "up to date"..... 2X vaccinated + 2X boosted (2nd boost - January 11st, 2022).

Kind of doesn't make sense, us being the MOST protected....

On this page titled Italy (Ravenna and Civitavecchia) Travel Requirements as of April 11, 2022 you'll find the following statement...

Sailing Testing Requirements:

All guests ages 2 and older must present a digital or physical copy of a negative test result in order to board their sailing.

Pre-Arrival/Embarkation Covid-19 Test

• Up to Date* Guests: Must present a negative Antigen test taken within 1 day prior to sailing. Testing at the terminal will not be required.
  • Fully-Vaccinated** Guests: Will not be required to present a pre-arrival test. Instead, guests will be tested at the Terminal prior to Embarkation.
  • Unvaccinated Guests: Will not be required to present a pre-arrival test. Instead, guests will be tested at the Terminal prior to Embarkation.  

NOTE:  @dani negreanu, it appears you posted while I was composing.

Edited by -Lew-
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

I'm not sure I understand what the difference is between "up-to-date" and "fully-vaccinated". Aren't they just two versions of the same thing?

No, here are the definitions according to the EU health authorities:

*European definition of Up to Date: vaccinated within 9 months (270 days) of final dose in primary series OR boosted. The 270 days must extend to the final day of the cruise. The last primary dose must have been administered at least 14 days prior to embarkation.

**Definition of Fully Vaccinated: vaccinated with a full dose of a primary series vaccine more than 9 months (270 days) prior to sailing, and NOT boosted. The last primary dose must have been administered at least 14 days prior to embarkation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

In reading the latest protocols for embarking in Italy, it seems that we absolutely need to get tested one day before... It was 2 days until last week [that is, for those of us who are "up-to-date"....].

Ours is just 8 weeks away, boarding on a Monday, seems we'll have to test on a Sunday... in Rome... bummer.

Princess will test you free of charge on embarkation day. 

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Thanks for this update. We’ll be watching this closely over the next 6 months. Our cruise isn’t until October. 

On 4/10/2022 at 11:02 AM, cruisemom42 said:

My favorite hotel in Rome, hands down, is the Albergo del Senato.  Since I first stayed there in 2005 it has been through two renovations and unfortunately the price keeps going up as well. I still love it -- it feels like my home away from home and (for me) there is nothing like looking out the window or stepping out the front door and having the Pantheon right in front of you.

Based on your recommendation, I went ahead and booked this hotel for 4 nights prior to our Constellation TA cruise this Oct.  Couldn't get a room with a view of the Pantheon, but I liked the location and price (and your recommendation).  Thank you.

• Like 2

This is a hotel transportation that I would like to ask here.  We will be flying into FCO and I have booked transportation thru Albergo del Senato for my wife and I.  

My concern is whether their vehicle will be large enough to transport the two of us and our luggage for the 15 night cruise.  I am guessing that my wife and I will be bringing in total: 2 large (29") suitcases, 2 carry on (21") rolling suitcases,  and 2 backpacks.  

Can they handle that or do I need to do something different?

Is there any advantage to booking transportation thru the hotel or I should I save the 20 euros and just take a taxi?

Edited by mahdnc

3 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

This is a hotel transportation that I would like to ask here.  We will be flying into FCO and I have booked transportation thru Albergo del Senato for my wife and I.  

My concern is whether their vehicle will be large enough to transport the two of us and our luggage for the 15 night cruise.  I am guessing that my wife and I will be bringing in total: 2 large (29") suitcases, 2 carry on (21") rolling suitcases,  and 2 backpacks.  

Every Hotel’s Concierge one has asked the identical question has delivered.  Just contact the Concierge with your potential concern and in no doubt it will be resolved.

13 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Based on your recommendation, I went ahead and booked this hotel for 4 nights prior to our Constellation TA cruise this Oct.  Couldn't get a room with a view of the Pantheon, but I liked the location and price (and your recommendation).  Thank you.

Funny -- I will be getting off Constellation and heading to Rome as you are getting on. I'm on the cruise before you and then plan to spend a few days afterwards in the city. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Is there any advantage to booking transportation thru the hotel or I should I save the 20 euros and just take a taxi?

Our hotel, a few mins from yours, offered us transportation from airport to hotel for 50 Euros. The FLAT rate from airport to hotels in central Rome is 48 Euro.

I think better to take a taxi, this way you can choose "on the spot" one big enough....

On 4/16/2022 at 6:19 AM, Cookie002 said:

I always think of the money you have spent on the trip overall, and do you want to be adding time/expense/frustration with staying further from the centre of the city, to save money.

I think in general life we all usually make decisions based on cost. In Rome, I suggest time is more valuable than money (within reason of course). There is so much to see and do, and just even the walk from one major site to another is an absolute pleasure.

I cannot express the overwhelming awe it is to walk into a random church anywhere and that city and be blown away by the art/history/age/charm, and finding a random Michelangelo or Carrivaggio that was never mentioned in any travel guide or u tube video.

One time, I was there with my mom and her curling iron blew up and she could not live without it. I asked concierge if there was anywhere close by to purchase a new one - and they gave me great directions to a place that was a common drug store that the locals used so it would not be tourist expensive. We got there, and the place had been a ‘pharmacy’ for 1500 years. They had fountains with snake asps intertwined, all sorts of stone work, then like aisles of the local CVS in the middle.

I think if you live in North America, and have never been to Europe the absolute antiquity of EVERYTHING in Rome will make your jaw drop. Spend less time on the train and bus, and more time walking and absorbing.

Just my two cents!

(Btw, I think that cruise critic should charge us all a monthly fee to be able to access information from cruisemom and Eurocruiser and a few of the other regular posters. Absolutely stellar and unbiased information!)

There is a saying Penny wise, pound foolish.   I think that’s so true, people will spend many thousands of dollars on a trip and then waste time to save a few dollars.   The experiences are what makes a trip worth it IMO

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Much as a love the del Senato, I see no advantage to taking their transportation at a 20 euro price hike. Taxis are readily available right outside the exit for Terminal 3 (where international passengers end up anyway after luggage claim and customs). Just be sure you mention that you want the fixed fare.

I know this is a controversial subject, but 29" suitcases are pretty large. Is there any way you can pare down what you are taking?  I routinely travel for 15 days (including cruises) with 1 24" bag and one small carry-on (not a 21" roller but the kind you can fit under your seat in a pinch). If I packed a 29" suitcase, it would almost certainly exceed the 50-lb limit..

I am pretty sure an average-sized Rome taxi (or whatever transport the hotel would book) would have a trunk that could handle two large suitcases and if they are not too wide, possibly the 21" bags on top of them. The backpacks you may have to hold in the back seat with you or perhaps put in the front side beside the driver. 

Seems to me that every time I go to Rome and get a taxi from the airport I see more variety in sizes of taxis available, including vans. There is usually a dispatcher to keep things moving and if there is a larger car or van in the queue, they'll usually match you up with them. This is just my observation though -- no guarantees.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bennybear said:

There is a saying Penny wise, pound foolish.   I think that’s so true, people will spend many thousands of dollars on a trip and then waste time to save a few dollars.   The experiences are what makes a trip worth it IMO

Good advice -- but I also wouldn't want to lead others to think you have to spend thousands to have a memorable trip. If you do your research and make smart choices, you can have a wonderful time with plenty of travel experiences without breaking the bank. 

For example -- I think a good, well-located hotel is key, but if I had to choose, I'd choose a slightly less good hotel than a less well-located one every time. Food and drink doesn't have to be expensive (especially in Italy) to be good and an "experience".  And (at the risk of sounding a like a Rick Steves), what could be more of an "experience" than learning how to get around on your own and riding the local buses and metro along with the locals?  I've got more fun stories to tell about riding Rome buses (not to mention the horrible little Circumvesuviana train to and from from Naples) than I ever would from big bus or chauffeur-led tours.

• Like 4

Agree it’s not what you spend, although unfortunately  I think  the chance of spending less than a few thousand unlikely.  The best things truly are free or relatively inexpensive, but so many people are reluctant to  step off  the well trodden path.  They fear researching and travelling independently.   They need to be told where to go and what to see.  They seem unable to research for themselves. Consequently we have what I call The Rick Steve’s’ effect, where places he recommends are slammed and lose their charm.  Ok, end of rant. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Much as a love the del Senato, I see no advantage to taking their transportation at a 20 euro price hike. Taxis are readily available right outside the exit for Terminal 3 (where international passengers end up anyway after luggage claim and customs). Just be sure you mention that you want the fixed fare.

I know this is a controversial subject, but 29" suitcases are pretty large. Is there any way you can pare down what you are taking?  I routinely travel for 15 days (including cruises) with 1 24" bag and one small carry-on (not a 21" roller but the kind you can fit under your seat in a pinch). If I packed a 29" suitcase, it would almost certainly exceed the 50-lb limit..

I am pretty sure an average-sized Rome taxi (or whatever transport the hotel would book) would have a trunk that could handle two large suitcases and if they are not too wide, possibly the 21" bags on top of them. The backpacks you may have to hold in the back seat with you or perhaps put in the front side beside the driver. 

Seems to me that every time I go to Rome and get a taxi from the airport I see more variety in sizes of taxis available, including vans. There is usually a dispatcher to keep things moving and if there is a larger car or van in the queue, they'll usually match you up with them. This is just my observation though -- no guarantees.

Thanks, but we are hopelessly heavy packers. 😳

image.thumb.jpeg.b21902b952d7430fc0e4d796abfcf0df.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We will be doing a three day post cruise stay in Rome the end of September.  We have never been and will be traveling with another couple. I’m looking for hotel, tour\ site seeing recommendations. 
I’ve read a few of the threads recommending the hotel Alberto Del Senato?  

10 hours ago, rfamily6 said:

We will be doing a three day post cruise stay in Rome the end of September.  We have never been and will be traveling with another couple. I’m looking for hotel, tour\ site seeing recommendations. 
I’ve read a few of the threads recommending the hotel Alberto Del Senato?  

We'll be staying here next month, I can provide an update when we get back.

15 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Thanks, but we are hopelessly heavy packers. 😳

image.thumb.jpeg.b21902b952d7430fc0e4d796abfcf0df.jpeg

I load up and push carts like that all winter long!  And, I am not a young woman!  One of the reasons I pack the way I do - I want to be able to handle my own luggage wherever I go!  

My health care provider wanted to know why I didn't "work out" in the Winter - I work out all day long hauling, lifting that stuff - that IS working out!!!

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 7:26 AM, mahdnc said:

A few months ago on this board I found mentions of  Civitavecchia Shuttle Express as a good company for transfers.  I am booked with them for trips from FCO to Albergo del Senato and then for the trip to the port a few days later.  What I really liked in the booking process is they ask how many bags you will have and price accordingly (as they adjust the size of the car).  I found their prices to be very good -- for us it is €50 to the hotel pretty much the same as a taxi. You can even make changes up to 24 hours ahead, no advance payment required.  So far I am pleased with my interactions, but I haven't ridden in their cars yet.  They get good reviews on TripAdvisor as well.  I hope this helps.

https://www.civitavecchiashuttleexpress.com/

Edited by mchell810
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1