So what do folks really wear to dinner in the dining rooms?

njpln

5 hours ago, CptBoatface said:

We were 1st timers on a Miami rt, but we followed guidelines. Still can't get my wife to let me leave the tie at home

Yikes; I have have seen plenty of jackets worn at dinner but very few ties. 

1 hour ago, clo said:

"Let" plays almost no part in our marriage.

Why must you be judgmental of other people? I've met lots of henpecked men, that's their business in how their dynamic works. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ORV said:

I'm not afraid to speak up, perhaps some people should MYOB.

I realized after posting that I've seen FAR more rooster-pecked wives than hen-pecked husbands 🙂

• Haha 1

From some comments here I am taking it that some men do not ever wear a tie on board Oceania?    Just trying to get a full picture of what actually happens on board, which is the question raised by the OP.

Thanks.

20 minutes ago, Smokeyham said:

From some comments here I am taking it that some men do not ever wear a tie on board Oceania?    Just trying to get a full picture of what actually happens on board, which is the question raised by the OP.

Thanks.

It is this simple - no jacket or tie is EVER required in any venue. In fact, ties are quite rare, jackets more common in specialties but it's a personal choice.

If you prefer to wear one or both, do so but mostly don't worry about what others are wearing as long as it falls under country club casual.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Smokeyham said:

Thanks.

DH  never wears a tie   & now never packs a blazer

He used to wear a blazer  in the early years of cruising O  but now just a nice dress shirt  & dress pants is his choice of clothing for dinner

YMMV

30 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

He used to wear a blazer  in the early years of cruising O  but now just a nice dress shirt  & dress pants is his choice of clothing for dinner

YMMV

30 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

YMMV

Great,

Thanks...... I am getting a good sense of what actually is worn on board.

On 8/24/2020 at 3:47 PM, pinotlover said:

I reported and discussed the cruise, here on CC, at the time. It was Papeete to Papeete. I will fortunately say I had never seen such abuse of the dress code before nor since. I don’t want to suggest that cruise was normal in any way. 

On that cruise, once many of the cruisers realized the staff was taking no effort to enforce dress codes, many took advantage.

I will add though that on our 20 day  August 2019 cruise , our following Oceania cruise from above, dress standards where at a lower level that pre 2019 cruises . 

It will be interesting to see how Oceania instructs its staff to administer dress codes.

To be fair...Tahiti and the island atmosphere breeds this 'screw the rest of the world...free sprit" sort of behavior.  You see it in the Caribbean and Hawaii to a lesser extent.   It comes with the  turf....    A 10 day Tahiti brings aboard an entirely different crowd than say a 21 or 28 day Tahitian cruise...  Its the demographics it attracts  I think

2 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

To be fair...Tahiti and the island atmosphere breeds this 'screw the rest of the world...free sprit" sort of behavior.  You see it in the Caribbean and Hawaii to a lesser extent.   It comes with the  turf....    A 10 day Tahiti brings aboard an entirely different crowd than say a 21 or 28 day Tahitian cruise...  Its the demographics it attracts  I think

Given the time and expense that it takes to get to Tahiti from most of the world I find it difficult to believe that a 10 day Tahitian cruise would attract a demographic even remotely similar to a typical Caribbean sailing.

When I first saw the post I assumed it was about a short Christmas holiday season Caribbean cruise from Miami and i was very surprised to find out it was a Tahitian itinerary. 

31 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Given the time and expense that it takes to get to Tahiti from most of the world I find it difficult to believe that a 10 day Tahitian cruise would attract a demographic even remotely similar to a typical Caribbean sailing.

When I first saw the post I assumed it was about a short Christmas holiday season Caribbean cruise from Miami and i was very surprised to find out it was a Tahitian itinerary. 

I agree - Tahiti and Carib cruises are not at all alike as far as the cruisers are concerned.

In addition, even in hot climates one can put on a nice Tommy Bahamas or Tori Richards (or equivalent) short sleeve shirt and be both comfortable and presentable in all venues.

If one want to be be more casual than that then there is always the Terrace for dinners..

Edited by Paulchili

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

YMMV

Bob might wear a blazer if we were in cool weather.

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

I agree - Tahiti and Carib cruises are not at all alike as far as the cruisers are concerned.

In addition, even in hot climates one can put on a nice Tommy Bahamas or Tori Richards (or equivalent) short sleeve shirt and be both comfortable and presentable in all venues.

If one want to be be more casual than that then there is always the Terrace for dinners..

I'm sincerely curious and not being critical. (I'd never heard of Tori Richards so googled). Would you wear shirts like that in a really nice restaurant in SF?

Most definitely yes (in the summer). Maybe not to the French Laundry but then even Jacques isn't French Laundry.

Also depends on the style - they are not all the same but most are very nice and elegant.

PS On second thought, I don't see why one couldn't wear one even to the French Laundry in the summer.

I've eaten at the FL twice and I don't believe I had a jacket or suit either time. The only place in SF that required jackets for dinner was Tommy Toy's AFAIK (and I gladly obliged as it was one of my favorites).

1956-MJ11-001-detail.jpg

1956-6383OBL-detail.jpg

Marquises_Blue_lfstyl__11563.1579119645.jpg?c=2

Edited by Paulchili

4 minutes ago, clo said:

I'm sincerely curious and not being critical. (I'd never heard of Tori Richards so googled). Would you wear shirts like that in a really nice restaurant in SF?

Being from the SF Bay Area I would say that would be a bit casual for a really nice restaurant at dinner.  I'm thinking of the Fairmont Hotel or the Ritz Carlton.   

Of course, what is appropriate might be different in a warm climate.

4 minutes ago, Smokeyham said:

Being from the SF Bay Area I would say that would be a bit casual for a really nice restaurant at dinner.  I'm thinking of the Fairmont Hotel or the Ritz Carlton.   

Of course, what is appropriate might be different in a warm climate.

I'd had the same thought as you. Anybody from SoCal????

22 minutes ago, Smokeyham said:

I'm thinking of the Fairmont Hotel or the Ritz Carlton.   

Perhaps - but they don't have either one of those on Oceania 🙂

As you know, many if not most of the upscale restaurants in the Bay Area are in Napa/Sonoma valley where short sleeves are more appropriate than in the city where one can only rarely get away with short sleeves at night.

Edited by Paulchili

1 hour ago, clo said:

I'd had the same thought as you. Anybody from SoCal????

Well.... those shirts I would deem fine for a beach side bistro or Hawaiian or Polynesian. in my opinion.

As far as the French laundry....every time I have been it was dress shirts and blazers or better....

The Ritz is no poster boy for dress, having been to a few... an entitled demographic seems to be drawn to it willing to do their own thing because they paid for it.    .  

San fran just  seems like a place, from my experience ( living 25 yrs in the area),  to like to push the limits of convention.  I do not think it is representative of the rest of the country. ...it is its own world.    I'd leave the beach boy look for surf city..... Nice shirts but  the only thing I see as upscale is the price.    Just saying.

3 minutes ago, clo said:

Huh? Are you kidding me???????? Here's just one little list. I think there's one in Carmel and TFL. 

https://www.justluxe.com/travel/64__san-francisco/115__dining.php#

Paul is right..... the most upscale places are found in the north  from Napa to Healdsberg.    Check Michelin guide for CA..... Yountville and to Calistoga being the  center     Monterey and Camel are cute but can not compare.... 

1 minute ago, Hawaiidan said:

Well.... those shirts I would deem fine for a beach side bistro or Hawaiian or Polynesian. in my opinion.

As far as the French laundry....every time I have been it was dress shirts and blazers or better....

The Ritz is no poster boy for dress, having been to a few... an entitled demographic seems to be drawn to it willing to do their own thing because they paid for it.    .  

San fran just  seems like a place, from my experience ( living 25 yrs in the area),  to like to push the limits of convention.  I do not think it is representative of the rest of the country. ...it is its own world.    I'd leave the beach boy look for surf city..... Nice shirts but  the only thing I see as upscale is the price.    Just saying.

Good points. I picked SF because we lived there a long time and return to visit. But also because I thought it was a good compromise between Manhattan and LA'ish. As far as Oceania Bob maybe once wore a 'nice' untucked shirt (not Hawaiian) with Docker-style pants to the Terrace. Otherwise he wore 'nice' golf shirts tucked in. We didn't eat at the GDR (a couple of hiccups). At the specialties he wore, again, Dockers and dress shirts (with subtle checks or stripes).