What has happened to people permanently living on a cruise ship?

oskidunker

For the retirees who ‘live’ on ships by booking b2b sailings then obviously they would have had to leave. However, I am curious about ‘the world’ since those are true purchased condo/apartments. The ship may not have been able to sail or disembark passengers at will but I can’t imagine people were forced to leave their homes. NYC has a huge outbreak due to apartment living and no one there was forced to leave their home because of it.

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

For the retirees who ‘live’ on ships by booking b2b sailings then obviously they would have had to leave. However, I am curious about ‘the world’ since those are true purchased condo/apartments. The ship may not have been able to sail or disembark passengers at will but I can’t imagine people were forced to leave their homes. NYC has a huge outbreak due to apartment living and no one there was forced to leave their home because of it.

The World is berthed at Falmouth, Cornwall, England, where she's been since the end of May (other than the usual forays into the English Channel to discharge foul tanks and to give the oily bits some exercise). 

She has no passengers, all of whom left the ship in March.

I'm presuming that berthing fees in little Falmouth are low enough that there's no need to join other cruise ships using the free parking off-shore.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/luxury-cruise-ship-world-coming-4156210

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Kind of a silly question since no passengers are allowed to be on the ships and people living on ships don't follow a linear progression plan.

They are just like us. Sad they are not on a cruise ship

Kind of a silly response to a serious question.  

Edited by Bgwest

On 8/9/2020 at 3:48 PM, oskidunker said:

There are a few retirees spread out. I wonder if they were forced to leave?

There is a guy who lives on a RCI ship .He uses a scooter with American flags all over it and loves to discuss the Civil War.A crew member told me that he has a home in Fla.My thinking is that this guy got off the ship at some time.

Well, this is an interesting question and I have wondered the same thing.

If I bought a residence on a ship and found that I could not use it after a certain date and had to arrange for another residence, I don't think I would be a "very happy camper".  

2 hours ago, oskidunker said:

They may let those people stay onboard. 

No such luck. The World has been laid up in Falmouth, UK, and according to Cruisemapper "All residents, passengers (guests) and non-essential crew were disembarked by March 20, 2020. "

6 hours ago, sfaaa said:

What's the point of staying on the ship when you have no food service and constantly going hungry.

There will be a few crew members preparing food for the essential crew members running the ship, so it cannot be said that there is no food.

• Like 1